Consular companion query.

Tatumsa

Possible spoiler so sticking it all in the tags (hence the vague title).

I've just started playing a shadowtank, so I got the help of a level 50 to do Nar Shadaa first to get a pocket healer. Now I've gone to Taris to carry on, I'm not seeing Holiday or getting any affection changes from Tharan. Is it because they are not supposed to be there yet? Or something else?

Can't speak specifically for Tharan, From my experiences on multiple classes, if you skip to the higher level world of a pair to get a companion, and then do the lower level one after, affection gains are minimal. For the reason you suggested: Game doesnt expect you to have them yet.

But you may find they still have unique dialogue in class quests. For example when my wife's Imp Agent skipped ahead to Alderaan to get Vector, then backtracked to Tattooine, he didn't get affection gains from generic quests, but did participate/get affection in class ones.

I suspect it should play out pretty similar for you, til you get to the next world after.

It appears something they either decided not to impliment, or rant out of time so decided to backburner it.

I flip floped Taris/Nar Shaddaa on my Scoundrel, because I wanted my Wookie ASAP. I noticed Bowdaar didn't get any kind of affection gains on Taris.

Also, for Black Talon/Esseles, only your starter companion gaiins/looses affection. Kira dosn't bat an eye if you flush the Engineers out the airlock with a Jedi Knight.

The CC ability that all healers gets (in this case ours uses Holiday, vs say carbonite freezing), is based on your XP level.

I want to say level 29 is when they get their CC ability, but I could be off.

It does not show up till you ding that level range.

All affection gains are HARD coded to the game, so if you shouldn't have a companion yet due to story, you will not gain affection.

This is the same reason you can grind BT/Essel with your 1st companion for affection but not any others

Also, for Black Talon/Esseles, only your starter companion gaiins/looses affection. Kira dosn't bat an eye if you flush the Engineers out the airlock with a Jedi Knight.

Glad you mentioned this. I was very curious why even in a full party if T7 was unsummoned due to size I'd end Esseles with a ton of affection gain with him, but not with Kira (whose story I'm trying to advance). Thanks for the explanation.