The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So how many players already switched to mara/sent for upcoming patch

Hardsteel

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garbage gear on sentinel destroying War Hero mercs 1v1 ? Is this supposed to be trolling attempt or u are dead serious ?

These forums sometimes are like /b/ on friday night ...

Are we getting to the part where you cry to us how hard a Sentinel is to play? The class is easy to play, everyone knows it and if played correctly even when undergeared it is very, very powerful. This game seriously needs a World of Sentinelcraft video asap, maybe I could get my old T1 Druid set imported over to SW:TOR and get my Sentinel dressed up in it...:rolleyes:

You don't get heavy armor to feel invincible with
Lol, heavy armor is such a joke; juggs/guards can get a solid armor buff at the expense of a major major hit to focus generation, but with so many abilities that completely bypass armor it's foolish to even use Soresu.

I don't know of a single top PvP player on my server that doesn't have a Mara/Sent in development. A few are already midway through the BM gearing process. Those who are not at 50 expect to be at 50 when 1.2 hits. These are people who have their main toon in full BM gear already.

That doesn't mean these players have switched in the sense that they consider the Mara/Sent their main character. But if you are a top PvP player, the very high likelihood that something close to the existing 1.2 class balance changes will remain has more or less dictated the need to have a Mara/Sent insurance policy.

At the next tier down are a lot of very talented PvP players who do not yet have their main character in full BM gear, primarily because they put fewer hours into the game. Given their time constraints, there is a lot of reluctance to commit to releveling another toon to 50. These players appear to be mulling over their options. Those that remain subscribers mostly seem to stick with their existing toons.

That's the way I see it on my server.

For those who insist on playing the weakest AC+spec just to avoid FotM and EZ-mode, I suggest Lethality Operative/Dirty Fighting Scoundrel.

Low utility, damage and survivability stuffed into the same character. This is my vote for the weakest AC+spec in the game.

Anybody take the challenge of rolling one for rated WZs in 1.2?

I would like to remind how some people whine about marauder are OP while they are the same class that was on the game launch just a nerf happened to annhilation (fix but is still a nerf) and everyone was whining about marauders being completly useless after the nerf and now they are OP but still no changes since then... and annhilation is getting nerfed again so i can't see the buff if not on the other 2 trees that were underpower if compared to annhilation

the Title should probably be renamed "So....Who is a die hard FOTM Player?"

I was worried that the post had grown so big, I Didn't think that SW had so many poor players that they would reroll the second they heard rumors that a class got "buffed". but At least there's some decent and varied discussions here.

Don't have a mara yet, don't plan on rerolling. Currently enjoying my crop of Jugg's, Pt's, mercs, and Assassin (full tank don't PvP tyvm.). If I roll a mara it will only be because im unlocking Chiss and I plan on rerolling some sith classes...and though Jugg is my favorite currently leveling 3 atm, so I may end up trying a Mara for variablility. but I doubt it will beat any of my 3 juggs to 50.

Actually, 2 things happened:

1.) Gear.

2.) Experience.

You need to utilize about 3-4 abilities to reach level 50. Two and a half months later, the players have discovered what the other 15 buttons do.

A TM spamming Merc has reached 90% of his max potential.

A Sentinel using 3-4 abilities has reached what 30% of that?

Now:

A Merc utilizing his full kit for 100% potential.

An Sentinel using all their abilities ~350% of the Mercs potential, and has still alot left to master their class.

(yes, the % are made up just to illustrate the issue.)

The question is, why are they switching? People don't suddenly create a new character of a specific class en masse just because they heard the story was good or because it initially appealed to them. They want the advantages that have been established by math and common sense over other classes. When I made my knight I only got it to level 3, and I made it because I heard about the Sith Lord companion. I'm deleting it and replacing it with a Sith pureblood knight after 1.2 if I'm still playing then.

it does not matter how many are out there, you will still be able to count the ones who actually are good on one hand.

people find mercs hard to play when you use only 3-4 skills, what will they do on a toon that needs to use 20-25 to acaually be played right

The question is, why are they switching? People don't suddenly create a new character of a specific class en masse just because they heard the story was good or because it initially appealed to them. They want the advantages that have been established by math and common sense over other classes.

You would think....

But as of yet there is exactly ZERO real data other then the patch notes and the forum whining. Bio even stated that there were behind the scenes mechanics (and more then just stat changes...they mention damage scaling as well, so there are root engine. mechanical changes as well).

But in spite of that...we have threads like this. so you wonder sometimes...how many will really follow the FOTM? perhaps this is some huge test on Bio's part to see how many FOTM players are out there. IT"S A CONSIPRACY !!!!

Because of you're in the tank tree w/ DPS gear you're obviously not a tank or a DPS class. You're a hybrid between the 2.

eh, thats nothing new, I am doing that leveling on my sith warrior Juggernaut. Tank spec for the survival but alot of Melee DPS gear for damage. Though endgame, that setup usually isn't as effective for anything. usually just makes you a bad@ss solo quest player.

eh, thats nothing new, I am doing that leveling on my sith warrior Juggernaut. Tank spec for the survival but alot of Melee DPS gear for damage. Though endgame, that setup usually isn't as effective for anything. usually just makes you a bad@ss solo quest player.

no you are still terrible at everything.

no you are still terrible at everything.

This.

Who still wants to play a juggernaut after patch 1.2 must be a masochist or a brainwashed believer.

There is no "grass is greener" situation at moment, there is a place with no grass at all and a deep emerald green jungle on the other side and it does not matter if PvP or PvE.

Edited by Midichlorien

im not sure how many of you appreciate how difficult it is to play a marauder. there is no rotation, you use all of your abilities almost consecutively. you have to keep your buffs up while going through a rotation. a bunch of ****** players are gonna roll marauders, but theyre going to get facerolled because they cant play the class.

im not sure how many of you appreciate how difficult it is to play a marauder. there is no rotation, you use all of your abilities almost consecutively. you have to keep your buffs up while going through a rotation. a bunch of ****** players are gonna roll marauders, but theyre going to get facerolled because they cant play the class.

i have been playing sent/maras since july back in beta. I have mastered the class and moved on, my issue with then , while a very very good class, they are much too complicated for 99% of the players out there. They will be nothing but free kills.

The number of good sentinels/marauders per server can be counted on one hand. All the others just make the class look broken.

I will have fun rofling then with a tactics vanguard just because i can.

Yes.

The problem for new maras/sents is that their period learning the optimal time to use 20-odd different abilities until it becomes instinctive will coincide with the period before they have full BM gear (champ was fine pre-1.2 but there's a big gap to BM after that).

So people who only rolled one because they wanted easy domination will face a long, steep climb before they get there (and it's still not easy, and won't be post-1.2).

For those who insist on playing the weakest AC+spec just to avoid FotM and EZ-mode, I suggest Lethality Operative/Dirty Fighting Scoundrel.

Low utility, damage and survivability stuffed into the same character. This is my vote for the weakest AC+spec in the game.

Anybody take the challenge of rolling one for rated WZs in 1.2?

I'll do it. Lethality is bad, but I'm fairly confident the way the ratings sound like they will be implemented that a good player can make anything work in regards to gaining a high solo rating. ;) Keeping in mind that I firmly believe it's possible to do this without actually being 100% committed to winning/helping your team. :p

Edited by revial

I'm waiting for 1.2 to hit so my mara can be a rattataki.

Actually I hope this class becomes the fotm!

1. They are too hard to play effectively for most players so more free kills in pvp.

No they're not.

2. They bring nearly zero utility to most dynamic pvp matches (what they do have has to be closely coordinated with team mates which isn't the case most of the time).

Don't need utility when you bring massive DPS, tons of interrupts and superior mobility. Someone has to do the killing on a team, and maras do it best.

3. Other than ball carrying they are just another dps class and not one I usually have troubles with anyway.

See #2.

4. More pure dps classes means less healing and tanking on the battle field (which don't get me wrong, is actually more fun but makes battles easier).

See #2

Even after the nerfs to other classes if you think that an 8 man team with 5 Marauders and a mix of others will be tougher than 5 sorcs and a mix of others ... you be dreaming upon the happy powder.

They'll be right.

Mostly your post just reads as a weak attempted defense of an overpowered class. I've seen its like a thousand times in different MMOs from players of the current top class.

Edited by Caelrie

I gotta say that the "Mara/Sent are too tough to play" hypothesis is highly flawed.

On several levels.

First off, it's not that tough. I had zero MMO PvP experience before ToR. All my ToR toons were ranged class. Then I rolled a Mara. At level 14 I was soloing H2 PvE content. At lev 15 I tried my first PvP match. On my third PvP match I got the high damage score for my team. This is not a particularly grueling learning curve.

Secondly, even if it were true that Mara/Sents can't be played well by 90% of the population, the whole point of ranked wz is that at the top tier of players, they WILL be able to play them well. Are you seriously going to claim that the manifestation of bad game imbalance at top ranks of PvP players is a good thing?

Lastly, if we know one thing about MMO's it's that the player base adapts. Usually faster than the devs anticipate. The player base can be counted on to ruthlessly exploit any advantages they can find. And so it will be here. If only 10% of the player base can currently exploit the true potential of the Mara/Sent, in a month that number will be higher. And by the time Season One of ranked wz starts, it will be higher still.

I gotta say that the "Mara/Sent are too tough to play" hypothesis is highly flawed.

On several levels.

First off, it's not that tough. I had zero MMO PvP experience before ToR. All my ToR toons were ranged class. Then I rolled a Mara. At level 14 I was soloing H2 PvE content. At lev 15 I tried my first PvP match. On my third PvP match I got the high damage score for my team. This is not a particularly grueling learning curve.

The hypothesis is, in the nicest possible way (and I mean that!), nowhere near so flawed as this argument!

At level 15 you have almost zero to contribute to this discussion. What makes a mara more difficult to play than some other classes, aside from the basic fact it's melee not ranged, is the sheer number of abilities to be managed on a reactive priority system (unless you're Rage specced). At level 15 you have very few abilities therefore this is not an issue.

Secondly, even if it were true that Mara/Sents can't be played well by 90% of the population, the whole point of ranked wz is that at the top tier of players, they WILL be able to play them well. Are you seriously going to claim that the manifestation of bad game imbalance at top ranks of PvP players is a good thing?

Now that is a good point. If I am significantly more effective in 1.2 than now I will immediately be worrying that a nerf is coming my way.

At level 15 you have almost zero to contribute to this discussion. What makes a mara more difficult to play than some other classes, aside from the basic fact it's melee not ranged, is the sheer number of abilities to be managed on a reactive priority system (unless you're Rage specced). At level 15 you have very few abilities therefore this is not an issue.

You are incorrectly assuming that I am level 15. My point is that this class which many state has a highly sensitive equipment gearing curve as well as a difficult learning curve is already more than competitive with extremely low equipment levels. Once it reaps the benefits of better equipment it outpaces other classes. Once players climb the learning curve that gap is magnified. And as I stated earlier, that learning curve is not that difficult. Some players are having difficulty with it because, well... they are doing it the hard way by memorizing keystrokes rather than understanding that the Mara/Sent actually has thematically fewer attacks than certain other classes. I'll leave it at that.