The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Status Quo Has Been Restored

Hmm...well seeing as in three years, he matched his father's form, learned a lightsaber form completely on the fly while he fought his father. I believe Luke also used Tutaminis in the ROTJ novel, to absorb a small portion of Sidious's lighting. Theres more to his training, and it goes further into it in the novels though I don't what he learned or how fast. Professor would probably know, a lot more.

That's because Luke is the Ultimate Gary Stu of Star Wars. He can seemingly pick up lightsaber forms after witnessing them once...same applies to many Force techniques. Luke can get bloodied...maybe even temporarily disabled like in Jedi Acadmy series or even the emotional incapacitation he suffered in LoTF. But in the end, he's the Gary Stu trump card to everything.

Mandos have been returned to their rightful place, but the SW Galaxies still needs Jedi toned down, in my opinion. I'd like to see more "normal people" heros. I miss the X-wing series where Wedge, Tycho, and merely force sensative Corran Horn were my favorites. Corran still remains my favorite Jedi as he at least appears to have *some* sort of weakness.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because Luke is the Ultimate Gary Stu of Star Wars. He can seemingly pick up lightsaber forms after witnessing them once...same applies to many Force techniques. Luke can get bloodied...maybe even temporarily disabled like in Jedi Acadmy series or even the emotional incapacitation he suffered in LoTF. But in the end, he's the Gary Stu trump card to everything.

Mandos have been returned to their rightful place, but the SW Galaxies still needs Jedi toned down, in my opinion. I'd like to see more "normal people" heros. I miss the X-wing series where Wedge, Tycho, and merely force sensative Corran Horn were my favorites. Corran still remains my favorite Jedi as he at least appears to have *some* sort of weakness.

Anakin was pretty much the same way, he learned things at a fast pace. Since Luke is the son of him, and has his father's potential it makes sense that he is able to do what he did.

And that justifies it...how?

Its not really being a sue of anything, and Luke has been beaten in combat and been incapacitated by the spirit of Exar Kun. If Luke truly was a Gary sue, he wouldn't get beaten at all in any way shape or form.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

And that justifies it...how?

Eh... the only justification for Anakin and Luke is that they're George's creation. Other authors, no matter how innocent or good intentioned they were, kept buffing up the Force powers to rediculousness in my own eyes. A the end of RoTJ, Luke (to me) is only a little bit better off skill wise than Han.

Jango Fett managed to two shot a Jedi Council member in Attack of the Clones even though Windu made short work of him. Before people jump down my throat on the slain Jedi Council member I already know he wasn't quite up to snuff as far as combat goes like I-own-your-face-Mace. At least we see an instance of a regular guy killing a Jedi of importance.

I don't want people to get the wrong impression here about me or what I'm trying to convey. Travis' Mandos were getting too Gary Stu as a collective whole (akin to Skywalker dynasty). It needed to be smacked down. I would just enjoy the Jedi to be smacked down as well. It's fine if they cannot be stopped 1 vs 1, 2 vs 1, etc without some sort of influence (yslarmi, beskar, cortosis, whatever). There's more to Star Wars than Jedi. I just wish there more regular guy heroes out there.

As I continue to age, Jedi are less and less facinating in each and every story. They're like Goku to me. The first few Dragon Ball series I watched as young teen were great. By the end of the later series...well...Goku (Luke et al) was just rediculous. Poor Krillen (everyone else) took a back seat to everything.

Just finished reading the section in question. Here's the exact text:

He [beviin] came straight at her, stick raised, with an animal explosion of breath. Instantly she felt him change in the Force into complete lack of all emotion except a single...word, yes, almost a word: end. He closed in and rained blows on her like a machine, no style, no grace, no pause, until she fell back and he still kept hammering her while she lay in a ball and instinctively shielded her head. She wondered for a terrifying irrational moment if he really was going to beat her to death with this small stick. Was he ever going to stop? There was no hatred in there, just a terrible focus, the rest of the world shut out. Then something flipped a switch in her and she threw him back with the Force, scared for both of them.

Not like the Yuuzhan Vong at all. And obviously, this is not only an effective fighting technique but also something the Jedi Council is never going to be able to teach her. Not only that, but it's something that only Mandalorians would logically know how to do. Bang goes your argument, my good Professor.

Edited by Mirdthestrill

We live in an age where more than half of people would vie to be the bad guys if given the chance in video games. You're surprised an author decided to take the piss out of the boy scouts of Star Wars in lieu of the morally ambiguous bucketheads?

Probably due to the fact that you're usually the good guys in every other game there is.

Amen to that.

The problem is that the Jedi never really needed to be taken down a peg. They're pretty much the punching bag of the Star Wars Galaxy as far as how often some form of genocide is committed against them or how disturbingly often some of their brightest stars go to the Dark Side.

That's what she said.

There's a difference between supporting Mandalorians and supporting Karen Traviss' idiocy. Don't group me in with the rest of you.

Hippy farmer mercenaries =/= Mandalorians.

Actually, didn't she make them communists as well?

No it doesn't, it boils down to "It was awesome when Mandalorians were elite mercenaries that, when they overcame a Jedi it was an accomplishment to be praised. But once they got to the point where they were casually kicking Jaina "Sword of the Jedi" Solo's *** without breaking a sweat it was freaking ridiculous and they needed a retcon back to awesomesauce-land".

Except she had fought it before. You know, the Yuuzhan Vong? The dudes that couldn't be sensed in the Force and had Lightsaber resistant armor? Those ones? The ones that Jaina was killing with impunity by the end of the Yuuzhan Vong war? The ones that worshiped Jaina as a Goddess of war? Yea, those Vong.

Oh? Well how was a Mandalorian not being able to be sensed in the Force different than a Yuuzhan Vong not being able to be sensed in the Force? Seems pretty much the exact same damn thing to me.

I've never said you couldn't like them. All I've ever said about her is that she's wrong in pretty much everything she ever wrote concerning Star Wars, and is a crappy author.

But hey, if you like crappy writing, have at it broskie.

You seem to be misinterpreting my posts as me caring about what kind of literature you like. I don't. What I do care about is the fact that Traviss completely butchered whole sections of the Star Wars universe and got away with it for so long.

I might just open up YodaKenobi's review and let him read that. Actually, that's not a bad idea.

Well, I would but the Jedi Council forums are being upgraded. Damn

Anyway, Mefit, Mara Jade was one of Emperor Palpatine's most successful assassins, she was smart, she was wily, she was deadly. She was every single thing a consummate trained hunter/killer should be, and Traviss completely threw everything out the window when she wrote Mara. She was blatantly obvious when tracking Jacen, so much so that it almost read like a Saturday morning cartoon. She didn't think anything through at all, she didn't even pause to think "Why don't I take my husband with me, you know, the most powerful force user in galactic history would really come in handy fighting a Sith". She followed him to a remote location without any backup at all, or telling anyone where she was going, and then she acted like the white girl in a horror movie. And died, shamefully.

Now, you may not know this, but the whole premise behind Jacen killing Mara was that he had to make some sort of sacrifice in order to fully embrace the Dark Side. Know how he decided on Mara? Process of elimination. He loved his daughter and his secret wife (Tenel Ka) too much to sacrifice, so he chose someone that he could live without. Okay, first off, that isn't how it works. He chose Mara to be his sacrifice... because he would miss her the least? Right. And then, after he had killed her, he tried to rationalize it away as self defense. So that whole "sacrifice" thing that was the entire premise behind killing Mara? Completely pointless now.

Traviss is, without a doubt, the worst author to ever make their way into the Star Wars galaxy. She makes what Stephanie Meyer did to vampires look tame in comparison.

You don't quite understand what you're talking about when it comes to Jaina. She was a war veteran, she wrote the book when it came to fighting enemies that couldn't be sensed in the Force and had Lightsaber resistant armor. She was the best fighter pilot in the galaxy bar none. When Traviss got a hold on her, all of her previous skills went completely out the window. She didn't know how to use a helmet microphone, she didn't know how to fight someone that couldn't be sensed in the Force, she let people make fun of her constantly and never spoke up in defense of either herself, her family or the Jedi Order at all. Traviss made Jaina into a door mat for the Mandalorians to wipe their feet on, nothing more.

There's a difference between being "Superwoman" and "Dying like that one girl in a Jason movie" (see wut I did thar?). She made Mara into a complete and utter moron.

The novel "Sacrifice" was about Jacen needing to make a sacrifice (hence the title) to fully and completely embrace the Darkside, all other benefits or consequences of said sacrifice were completely secondary. Mara was not a sacrifice for Jacen, the book actually talks about him not having any significant feelings for her. The only reason Mara was Jacen's sacrifice is because Traviss personally didn't like her. That's it.

Thanks for pointing out my own opinion to me, I never would have recognized it without your help.

I'm just going to ask if you've ever read the Legacy of the Force series, and if you have, if you'd read any of the other series that prominently feature both Jaina and Mara before that. Please answer honestly.

So you haven't read any of the New Jedi Order books (that heavily feature Mara and Jaina and a lot of their development as characters) yet you think you understand what's going on here? That's almost insulting.

You're arguing a point from a completely uninformed position concerning the greater Canon butchery that Traviss perpetuated. From that standpoint, your opinion is actually invalid, because you obviously don't know all the facts.

Professor Walsh doesn't even use Wookieepedia.

Not really. He owns all of the source books that Wookieepedia gets their information from, he doesn't need the website.

Vader was toying with him the whole damn time. He wasn't even using the Force for most of the fight. Or did you completely block that part out?

He decided not to shoot him because he knew that his blaster didn't have the power to penetrate Vader's Durasteel armor, if I'm remembering the scene correctly.

You're assuming that Boba can shoot him enough to actually get through his armor, disable enough of his cybernetics and get him into the Lava before Vader just went "F**k this noise" and simply crushed him with the Force. I highly doubt it.

Like I said in another thread "Fall into the Sarlacc once, my bad, fall into it twice, your bad, fall into it a third time, just stay down, man".

I did now. Lulz.

There's a difference between "liking replacement Canon" and "Completely and utterly ignoring almost everything that came before her and making blatant, sweeping changes to the entire Star Wars universe". Guess which one of those Traviss did. Only one guess!

Extreme Plot Armor. Because everything is more awesome when its Extreme!

Glad I'm not the only one that got the reference.

During the Mandalorian Wars the Mandalorians were only fighting the Republic when they were winning, as soon as the Jedi joined the fight the Mandos lost. Badly.

No it wasn't. Absolutely none of her Legacy books were written from a first person perspective.

trollface.jpeg

Horrendous grammar and spelling aside, I completely agree.

There's a difference between liking Star Wars and blindly accepting everything that happens in the Extended Universe as awesome. As a whole, I thought the entire Legacy series was extremely sub par, Traviss' "contributions" being the biggest offenders.

Read the thread, I've already stated it all ad nauseam, I'm not going to do it again just because you haven't bothered to read the thread.

Just because you don't want to read what I type doesn't mean I haven't stated my reasons. Quite often in just this thread.

You mean this? Sorry. I don't have time to sift through all this. I have more important things to do. Besides, if you are going to argue a point, do so within reason. Now that all of your posts are together in this one post, people can easily see how inconsiderate and rude you are, and as we all know, no one really pays attention to that type. I asked politely and in a friendly manner and expect a response in kind or no response at all.

No... I did not bother to read the entire post. I work and go to school full time. I'm not lazy at all. On the contrary, I am a very hard worker and therefore you can refer back to the first sentence of this paragraph.

So, please, keep your rude comments to yourself and restrict what you have to say to worthwhile arguments made in a manner consistent with a good community atmosphere.

Thank you.

You mean this? Sorry. I don't have time to sift through all this. I have more important things to do. Besides, if you are going to argue a point, do so within reason. Now that all of your posts are together in this one post, people can easily see how inconsiderate and rude you are, and as we all know, no one really pays attention to that type. I asked politely and in a friendly manner and expect a response in kind or no response at all.

No... I did not bother to read the entire post. I work and go to school full time. I'm not lazy at all. On the contrary, I am a very hard worker and therefore you can refer back to the first sentence of this paragraph.

So, please, keep your rude comments to yourself and restrict what you have to say to worthwhile arguments made in a manner consistent with a good community atmosphere.

Thank you.

Yet you had time to do all that? Couldn't you have gone and read everything he wrote instead of spending your time quoting it all? How much longer would that have taken, a minute?

To be fair, you could have sifted through all of it very easily.

Thank you.

Nice, you quoted a ton of text completely out of context of the conversation that it was posted in. Want a cookie?

Nice, you quoted a ton of text completely out of context of the conversation that it was posted in. Want a cookie?

We did exactly what you challenged us to do, and more. I took the exact text out of the book in question and it almost directly contradicts your point.

Edited by Mirdthestrill

Yet you had time to do all that? Couldn't you have gone and read everything he wrote instead of spending your time quoting it all? How much longer would that have taken, a minute?

To be fair, you could have sifted through all of it very easily.

Actually, I started to, but I had enough after a while. It's not like it took me an hour to "do all that". It was a matter of copy and paste, which only took about five minutes. I am not upset with Aximand's opinion, just how he/she put it. It was rude and disrespectful of other people's opinions and that is what I have issue with. I asked a polite question and even went out of my way to ensure that it came across politely and he/she still got rude about it. And as anyone can see, he/she has used that kind of manner throughout his/her commentary. So why should I read everything this person has to say? He/She does not care about anyone else’s opinion (as stated in one of his/her posts). Incidentally, that is where I stopped reading them.

Context is a moot point in this case. I am not and will not disapprove of your opinion; nor anyone else’s. I am referring to how rude you have been with it. "Want a cookie?" Really? Do I need to say more?

I would argue that Mandalorians had an advantage over the Jedi briefly because their fighting is just plain different.

It is like how someone would react to an unfamiliar fighting style, but they know your fighting style.

The books didn't make Mandalorians superior to Jedi, just that people knew more about how Jedi would fight than Mandalorians.

The fact the Jedi would clobber Mandalorians in later books indicate that once Jedi knew more about what to expect, they were able to take Mandalorians apart easily.

It is like how someone would react to an unfamiliar fighting style, but they know your fighting style.

Something like this was mentioned in the Darth Bane books. Blademaster Kas'im states that the Double-bladed lightsaber only has an advantage because you don't know how it works. The analogy can be made easily.

Edited by Mirdthestrill

Nice work on the collection, there, Kit. Proves our collective point fairly well. Also, did you read the actual text of Revelation that's in question? I posted it above.

I just did. Sorry. Been a little busy. The work never stops! Anywho... I did. I loved that whole part of the book. I thought it was well written. To take the "Sword of the Jedi", an established war veteran and reduce her to a cowering little girl. In reality, this kind of really does happen. When under extreem stress and having something so contrary to normality thrown at you unexpectedly will trigger basic animalistic flight instincts. So why not make that happen in the Star Wars fiction as well? It works! And then the book took her from that cowering little girl back to the well oiled war machine with a new weapon. I dug it!

We did exactly what you challenged us to do, and more. I took the exact text out of the book in question and it almost directly contradicts your point.

You mean the text that you only quoted part of so it would reinforce your position?

"Beviin was heavy, confident, and used his greater body weight as another weapon, as a battering ram. She couldn't find a way to get inside his reach that wasn't blocked by his free arm-armor changed the game, making any limb both a shield and a weapon-..."

Oh, you mean like how the Vong used their armor as both a shield and a weapon? Not to mention that Jaina is a tiny woman, she's extremely used to fighting opponents with more body mass than her. But I guess since they weren't Mandalorians it doesn't count...

And that fancy little mental exercise you quoted? Basically the exact same damn thing as what happened with the Vong, they couldn't predict their intentions (where they were going to strike) in the Force at all. Beviin's trick? Made it so Jaina couldn't predict his intentions (where Beviin was going to strike) in the Force. Its not nearly as different as you think it is.

Try to paint it however you want, but the bare faced facts are that Karen Traviss blatantly ignored or overwrote massive swaths of Star Wars Canon when she wrote her books. Like this one:

"She was small, and her smooth hands said she'd never had to build an entrenchment with them..."

Not the entrenchment thing specifically (do they even do any trench warfare in the NJO series? I can't remember), but that whole section of the book is basically nattering on about how Jaina never had any hardship in her life at all. Really? Jaina, the veteran of the most devastating war that the Star Wars Galaxy had ever endured, hadn't had any hardship at all? That's something new to learn.

You can have your opinion, you're entitled to it, that's the awesome things about opinions, but don't try and pass your opinion that Traviss didn't butcher Canon off as fact, because I wasn't even trying to find examples up there, that was off the top of my head. Don't even get me started on Gilead Palleon talking about how they should have their first female Moff in Admiral Dalla (there have been female Moffs before) or Luke Skywalker, for some reason, suddenly thinking in Mando'a when discussing the differences between Jedi and Sith.

Its excruciatingly obvious that Traviss knew the bare minimum about Star Wars in order to write about the setting (something she's admitted to), she didn't know the history for half the characters she wrote about, nor the events that took place before the Legacy series. At least, its obvious to anyone that can look at it objectively.

Anyway, I got **** to do, argue amongst yourselves.

Edited by Aximand

I would argue that Mandalorians had an advantage over the Jedi briefly because their fighting is just plain different.

The books didn't make Mandalorians superior to Jedi, just that people knew more about how Jedi would fight than Mandalorians.

The fact the Jedi would clobber Mandalorians in later books indicate that once Jedi knew more about what to expect, they were able to take Mandalorians apart easily.

Now...I could see that however, Jango....got his *** kicked on Kamino by Obi-Wan who I don't think ever fought a mandalorian before. (Not sure if he did in the EU or not before ATOC, he could have.)

Try to paint it however you want, but the bare faced facts are that Karen Traviss blatantly ignored or overwrote massive swaths of Star Wars Canon when she wrote her books. Like this one:

"She was small, and her smooth hands said she'd never had to build an entrenchment with them..."

Not the entrenchment thing specifically (do they even do any trench warfare in the NJO series? I can't remember), but that whole section of the book is basically nattering on about how Jaina never had any hardship in her life at all. Really? Jaina, the veteran of the most devastating war that the Star Wars Galaxy had ever endured, hadn't had any hardship at all? That's something new to learn.

Karen Traviss didn't ignore anything. The digging reference was to point out that Jaina didn't have the callusses (sp?) that one would have on their hands from gruelling physical labor, like digging trenches. That wasn't to imply she hadn't had to endure hardship, you don't get callusses from flying a starfighter or swinging a lightsaber around.

As far as trench warfare, I suggest you take a look at Empire Strikes Back sometime.

You can have your opinion, you're entitled to it, that's the awesome things about opinions, but don't try and pass your opinion that Traviss didn't butcher Canon off as fact, because I wasn't even trying to find examples up there, that was off the top of my head. Don't even get me started on Gilead Palleon talking about how they should have their first female Moff in Admiral Dalla (there have been female Moffs before) or Luke Skywalker, for some reason, suddenly thinking in Mando'a when discussing the differences between Jedi and Sith.

Okay she got some things wrong, or Palleon (and I think you spelled the name wrong, but I don't feel like looking it up at the moment) was getting senile in his old age. Who cares, I don't recall any female moffs off the top of my head, though it wouldn't surprise me if there was one.

Its excruciatingly obvious that Traviss knew the bare minimum about Star Wars in order to write about the setting (something she's admitted to), she didn't know the history for half the characters she wrote about, nor the events that took place before the Legacy series. At least, its obvious to anyone that can look at it objectively.

While she didn't know all that much, it wasn't as if she wasn't getting consultation from the other authors. They had to coordinate their books so things would make sense. So what if they screwed up some minor details, the story overall was a good one.

Edited by GarfieldJL

He had vader at his mercy at the end, and decided on not killing him.

Incorrect.

In the canonical fight he was on the ground choking to death and he kicked the box over the ridge, while Vader was distracted he ran. You are referring to the "What if" fight where he had a blade (not a lightsaber) that could deflect a lightsaber. That was the one that was part of the non-canon series.

Incorrect.

In the canonical fight he was on the ground choking to death and he kicked the box over the ridge, while Vader was distracted he ran. You are referring to the "What if" fight where he had a blade (not a lightsaber) that could deflect a lightsaber. That was the one that was part of the non-canon series.

"Enemy of the Empire", correct? If so, he still pretty much fought Vader to a standstill. And any fight with Vader where you can walk away (or in some cases run away) is a win in my book. :p

Hmm...well seeing as in three years, he matched his father's form, learned a lightsaber form completely on the fly while he fought his father. I believe Luke also used Tutaminis in the ROTJ novel, to absorb a small portion of Sidious's lighting. Theres more to his training, and it goes further into it in the novels though I don't what he learned or how fast. Professor would probably know, a lot more.

Uhm.

While this isn't the place for it... It was revealed in the EU that Luke, after witnessing any Force Power or Lightsaber form once, for a few seconds, has a strange "savant" ability to reproduce it perfectly.

Vader made a mistake while fighting Luke on Bespin. After the first few seconds Luke had Mastered completely Vader's style.

Interestingly enough Vader technically should have died to Luke on Cloud City.

Wait what?!

Yeah, no joke. Watch the movie "Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back" very carefully. During the duel, while on the catwalks, Luke swings a slanting shot going from upper left, to lower right, this strikes Vader on the edge of his shoulder. You see sparks fly, the shot is deflected, and Vader grabs his shoulder in obvious pain.

According to the canon, Vader's shoulder pads were made of a highly dense special armor that while not lightsaber immune is resistant and was enough to cause a deflection. Without that armor, or if Luke's shot had been a smidgeon more to the right (Luke's right) at the point of impact it would have cleaved Darth Vader in half across his torso.

Why? Please be more specific. I am interested in hearing what people don't like and why. Not just that they did or didn't. Tell us what you didn't like and what you beleive is wrong with it. I am geuinely interested. I liked the Traviss arcs a lot. But I will listen to anyone's opinions.

Why didn't I like it:

1. It wasn't a Mandalorian story, yet it was whenever Traviss was writing.

In all of Traviss points in the LotF series she constantly interjected Mandalorian items. It didn't matter what characters. Mara was reminded of Mandalorian children as she saw Ben putting on his GAG uniform. Mara, Jaina, Luke, Han, and Leia all became fluent in Mando'a as they constantly were depicted as "thinking" the Mandalorian language (which caused her to also have to put in long winded explanations of these words).

Now, you may think having them think in Mando'a isn't so bad. However, it is very bad, mostly because it was completely out of character for all of these characters who had, until this point, had never done so.

2. The way characters acted was not consistent with their previous depictions.

Aside from the horrible Jaina angle there were a number of other issues. The first had to be, clearly, Jaina Solo deciding to go see Boba Fett for training on how to kill a Jedi.

If you pay attention to the scene where Luke fought Jacen, Jedi Grandmaster Luke "The Man" Skywalker owned the little Sith Lord wannabe. He could have killed Jacen numerous times but did not, specifically because he had a Force Vision showing him that if he did it, in front of Ben, at that time, that Ben would fall to the Dark Side. Some people say this is relatively weak of a justification, but to me that one makes perfect sense.

What doesn't make perfect sense is why then Jaina would go seeking help from Boba Fett. In the novel this is said to be, by Ms. Traviss, a good idea because nobody has killed as many Sith and/or Jedi as Boba Fett. The sad truth is, however, that it doesn't make any sense to say that.

Wait what?

Boba Fett hasn't killed the most Jedi/Sith in the Galaxy. Luke Skywalker has. Boba Fett has, no joke, a grand total of ZERO confirmed Jedi kills. He has never killed any Jedi that we have ever seen.

He failed to kill Mace Windu as a teenager. Multiple times.

He failed to kill the one Jedi we actually saw him beat, though he did capture her, so I give that as a possibility. (A rogue Padawan of all things.)

He failed to kill Luke Skywalker, in any of the three times these two fought.

He failed to kill Darth Vader.

He failed to kill Jaden Korr who was just promoted to Knighthood.

-----

Now, we look at the body count Luke Skywalker has racked up over the years:

Defeated Vader - A feat Boba never accomplished.

Defeated the Emperor in lightsaber, and later Force combat - The most powerful Sith lord ever.

Defeated a clone of himself - Literally meaning that he killed Luke Skywalker better than Boba Fett could.

Defeated Darth Maul after Maul had his brain resurrected and placed in a device that let him create immortal solid light holograms of himself. A few dozen times.

This list goes on and on and on...

-----

So when we have even Luke Skywalker agreeing that Boba is the best choice to teach someone how to kill a Jedi or Sith it doesn't make any freaking sense.

This is just Luke Skywalker and Jaina, there are plenty more.

-----

3. The characters are written inconsistently.

Some may chalk this up to Jacen Solo being insane but in one of the Traviss books she has him thinking to himself, "Jaina, not an hour goes by that I don't think of you." Then literally in the next chapter he appears in, which takes place on the same day he thinks, "Jaina, it is strange, I never think of you anymore. It is like I cannot even remember your face."

Every character in her books has a beef with the Jedi. Even the Jedi. Luke Skywalker, Mara Jade Skywalker, Jaina Solo, and Leia Solo, all at one point in the Traviss books at one point or another think the Jedi Order would be better off if they were more like the Mandalorians.

Palleon and Admiral Daala both have a mad on regarding the Jedi in the Traviss books. They talk and each turn to the Mandalorians as a method of dealing with the Jedi Order. This is, in fact, why the two seem to bond.

This is pretty awesome... Oh wait... Palleon... Who had spoken out in previous books about not liking Mandalorians and who one said that the Jedi Order were the best hope for peace in the Galaxy and who supported them and admired them. Suddenly wants to work with the Mandalorians to get rid of the Jedi... Wow... Kind of odd since the Jedi Order, and Luke Skywalker in particular, helped him get his position and stabilize the Empire he loves so much.

Also under Traviss, Luke Skywalker who had previously explained in Canon to other characters the difference between a Jedi and a Sith didn't know how to explain to a Senator the difference between a Jedi and a Sith and could only sheepishly look down like a child caught doing something naughty when she told him that they are just the Jedi with different colored lightsabers and then agree with her.

(Note: Don't ask me to explain the differences between a Jedi and a Sith, suffice to say they are far more different than mere lightsaber crystal color and which side of the Force they use.)

Just finished reading the section in question. Here's the exact text:

He [beviin] came straight at her, stick raised, with an animal explosion of breath. Instantly she felt him change in the Force into complete lack of all emotion except a single...word, yes, almost a word: end. He closed in and rained blows on her like a machine, no style, no grace, no pause, until she fell back and he still kept hammering her while she lay in a ball and instinctively shielded her head. She wondered for a terrifying irrational moment if he really was going to beat her to death with this small stick. Was he ever going to stop? There was no hatred in there, just a terrible focus, the rest of the world shut out. Then something flipped a switch in her and she threw him back with the Force, scared for both of them.

Not like the Yuuzhan Vong at all. And obviously, this is not only an effective fighting technique but also something the Jedi Council is never going to be able to teach her. Not only that, but it's something that only Mandalorians would logically know how to do. Bang goes your argument, my good Professor.

Bang goes your argument back.

It doesn't matter if his attack was savage, he overwhelmed her with rage... Which she had experienced before, many times in fact, especially since she had fought Sith before. She also lost to someone who was using no form or grace?

Are you trying to tell me that the Sword of the Jedi couldn't land a blow against a Savage? The technique makes no sense at all.