SWTOR Vs WoW: Blizzard gets it

indelible

LOL.

Its not an opinion, its a fact.

Look at every game out right now, WoW has the most players. Tell me, if there are quality games out now which compare/hold up to WoW, please enlighten me as to which ones they are. I dont play WoW, but simple numbers will tell you that nothing comes close to the popularity of that game. Even after all these years, WoW is still pretty much the most popular game on PC, especially in the MMO genre. Deal with it.

Also, yes, COD games sell a lot.... on console. They arnt really popular on PC. Console users are predominately a completely different type of gamer than PC gamers are, so i dont think that analogy has merit. I dont want to expand on this, as its pretty common sense.

Personally, I think you have no clue what you are talking about.

Oh dear

Someones elses quality differs from the next person. Hence. CoD been rehashed year in year out. someone loves it as it sells **** loads.

WoW over the past couple of years is just like CoD (in my opinion) it reshashes previous content, mechnaics and wraps them up in a new skin. but yet WoW has millions of players.

The point is MMOs are now run by kiddies. They are the main crowd. Same as console gaming. Activision knows this, hence the rehash of cod and wow. Yes they were epic in there time. Cod1 on the PC..epic. But with a company like activision. Quality is in its past.

In the past fews years, is WoW really chruning out Quality fresh content. No...

But the subs are there like you say. but the minds of gamers have changed. They are younger, easier to please. The old MMO community which consisted mainly of adults if these were the prime audience still, Would WoW have as many subs. Not a chance, why, because the mature mind sees thruugh the hype and bull. A fresh skin wont cut it with most. Hell, Battlefield 3, technically a much better game. But MW3 over sold it by miles.

Says it all with todays gamers.

I wont take away what WoW did, Not at all. It ggave a great game(at the time) and got its subs. But the audience which it now holds. Meh.... pandas, kung-fu, Peekachu games. says it all really.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear

Someones elses quality differs from the next person. Hence. CoD been rehashed year in year out. someone loves it as it sells **** loads.

WoW over the past couple of years is just like CoD (in my opinion) it reshashes previous content, mechnaics and wraps them up in a new skin. but yet WoW has millions of players.

It's been my observation that they don't even wrap a new skin anymore.

Yup, China loves them some WoW.

With the way WoW servers are now, China must be the only people left playing.

Most of WoW's servers are dead. ZERO people in any of the leveling zones and only around 50 in Org/SW/IF at peak.

Do you play WoW? If not, how do you know the population of EVERY single server?

If so, well you seem to be quite hypocritical. Why would you still be playing WoW when TOR is perfect?

I have news for you (and this won't surprise you, because you were just using a defensive posture of fabrication) - WoW's server are far from dead. I play on a backwater server that was never in any of the progression races, it's not a PvP server.... it's literally bustling with people in all of the major Alliance cities. People are still doing dailies, and still running dungeons and raids.

Do you play WoW? If not, how do you know the population of EVERY single server?

If so, well you seem to be quite hypocritical. Why would you still be playing WoW when TOR is perfect?

I have news for you (and this won't surprise you, because you were just using a defensive posture of fabrication) - WoW's server are far from dead. I play on a backwater server that was never in any of the progression races, it's not a PvP server.... it's literally bustling with people in all of the major Alliance cities. People are still doing dailies, and still running dungeons and raids.

Who said ToR is perfect?

Certainly I have never said this.

I enjoy the game.

Now, to the server population in WoW.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4079842536

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4079872528

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4079622292

I'm glad your server is fine there, but not all are.

Who said ToR is perfect?

Certainly I have never said this.

I enjoy the game.

Now, to the server population in WoW.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4079842536

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4079872528

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4079622292

I'm glad your server is fine there, but not all are.

There are 10.3 million people with active subscriptions to Warcraft.

you pointed out approximately % 2.912e-5 of the population. Even if we say a good, 5% of the current population has the above issues, which is reasonable, that's roughly 500,000 people. Not really a large number in the scope of things.

Also, blizzard knows that they have servers that are badly underpopulated. They have had that problem since BC. But you can't force people to move servers (with free transfers or server merges). They know that after 7 years people became bored which is why they're doing some of the things they are doing in mists.

you pointed out approximately % 2.912e-5 of the population. Even if we say a good, 5% of the current population has the above issues, which is reasonable, that's roughly 500,000 people. Not really a large number in the scope of things.

Also, blizzard knows that they have servers that are badly underpopulated. They have had that problem since BC. But you can't force people to move servers (with free transfers or server merges). They know that after 7 years people became bored which is why they're doing some of the things they are doing in mists.

And a majority of those 'subs' are from China where they do not pay a sub.

But to your next point, I guess kids do love pandas and pokemon.

Actualy there are around 10.3 mil total. Trials of which under 20 is never ending, scrolls and accounts with subscriptions upon them. The number of those accounts that belong to multiple people are unknown as multiboxing is big on world of warcraft. There is also 1 million or so people who bought the annual pass of which we know not how many are still actually playing the game, obviously we would expect all but we cannot presume to know this.

Wow is also used in china as a prison gang activity which is an unknown number that actually do this but this also impacts upon the numbers of active gamers playing wow.

Edited by Shingara

Actualy there are around 10.3 mil total. Trials of which under 20 is never ending, scrolls and accounts with subscriptions upon them. The number of those accounts that belong to multiple people are unknown as multiboxing is big on world of warcraft. There is also 1 million or so people who bought the annual pass of which we know not how many are still actually playing the game, obviously we would expect all but we cannot presume to know this.

Wow is also used in china as a prison gang activity which is an unknown number actually do this but this also impacts upon the numbers of active gamers playing wow.

Smacks of desperation.

The FACT is, there are still over 10 million PAYING customers. It could lose 8 million more and still be larger than TOR (not to mention every other MMO) in terms of subscribers.

You would do well for yourself to not try and diminish WoW with falsifications. It's a great game and you in fact have it to thank that TOR even exists.

Smacks of desperation.

The FACT is, there are still over 10 million PAYING customers. It could lose 8 million more and still be larger than TOR (not to mention every other MMO) in terms of subscribers.

You would do well for yourself to not try and diminish WoW with falsifications. It's a great game and you in fact have it to thank that TOR even exists.

It smacks of nothing, its fact. The fact is that what i said is correct and if you do not like it this is not my problem. and wow could lose 8 mil subcribers and be bigger then tor at this time. And your fact does not include multi box accounts but feel free to tell me that is a lie too.

What happens in a years time is an unknown and to presume you know these answers is going way above your station.

Edited by Shingara

And a majority of those 'subs' are from China where they do not pay a sub.

But to your next point, I guess kids do love pandas and pokemon.

Oh, you mean "fun and variety".

And of course Chinese users pay to play... stop fabricating things.

Oh, you mean "fun and variety".

And of course Chinese users pay to play... stop fabricating things.

I'm not fabricating anything.

Chinese players do NOT pay a monthly subscription fee.

That is FACT and common knowledge.

Edited by Azzras

I'm not fabricating anything.

Chinese players do NOT pay a monthly subscription fee.

That is FACT and common knowledge.

No it's not a fact, and it's not common knowledge. Chinese players DO IN FACT PAY TO PLAY.

I suggest you provide a link - from Blizzard no less - that details how Chinese players play WoW for free.

No it's not a fact, and it's not common knowledge. Chinese players DO IN FACT PAY TO PLAY.

I suggest you provide a link - from Blizzard no less - that details how Chinese players play WoW for free.

Where did she say free, please show me. and it is common knowledge.

I didn't say free, I said they don't pay a monthly subscription.

Smacks of desperation.

A common error I see is people claiming large number of users/customers/fans equals "great".

McDonalds - billions served - I'd hardly call their food great.

Bieber - millions of fans - I'd hardly call his music great.

WoW - millions of players - I'd hardly call the game great.

A common error I see is people claiming large number of users/customers/fans equals "great".

McDonalds - billions served - I'd hardly call their food great.

Bieber - millions of fans - I'd hardly call his music great.

WoW - millions of players - I'd hardly call the game great.

Except in WoW's case, the game is great. Game developers around the world - including those at BioWare - will tell you so. It's artistically sound, masterfully crafted, has mechanics that are second to none and a level of polish that is envied across the industry.

For players, it's all subjective. There is someone out there, maybe even reading this very thread, who is playing WoW while cranking Justin Beiber and chomping on a McDonald's cheeseburger. And to them - there couldn't be anything better.

They PAY TO PLAY THE GAME. Just like everyone else.

If you understand this, what are we debating?

You seem to be the only one debating, m8.

The point of bringing up China is because the account for well over half of WoW's population but only account for a fraction of a fraction of WoW's total income.

Except in WoW's case, the game is great. Game developers around the world - including those at BioWare - will tell you so. It's artistically sound, masterfully crafted, has mechanics that are second to none and a level of polish that is envied across the industry.

For players, it's all subjective. There is someone out there, maybe even reading this very thread, who is playing WoW while cranking Justin Beiber and chomping on a McDonald's cheeseburger. And to them - there couldn't be anything better.

WoW is a great financial success much like McDonald's. It doesn't mean their end product is the best or great.

I didn't say free, I said they don't pay a monthly subscription.

True. They pay very little on a dynamic basis where they pay pennies for each hour played. Buzzard also captures a small part of the revenue from Chinese players. So although they profit form the Chinese player base, the amount is small. The real profit / revenue is in the paying subs.

My experience with WOW, cancelled my subs about nine months ago, is that on a supposed moderate server, you could level from 1 to 85 or roam the world gathering and not see another player until you got to SW. There I often saw about 40 - 50 players milling around or standing in a stupor while they waited for lfg to kick in.

I did try the free to play 20 level promotion a week ago and there were a ton of people running around in the starting zone. I am not sure how this translates into new subs or what it really means other than people will play the first twenty levels of WOW for free.

The point of bringing up China is because the account for well over half of WoW's population but only account for a fraction of a fraction of WoW's total income.

I guess we're debating because you're consistently wrong.

You realize that if Chinese players play as much as a monthly subscription would allow (when obviously they play much less, as we all do) they actually pay MORE per month than subscribers? You didin't realize that, did you?

And the argument is not about how much money is made... don't move the goal posts. It's squarely about how many PLAYERS there are... the fact is those are numbers TOR will never see.

WoW is a great financial success much like McDonald's. It doesn't mean their end product is the best or great.

No, it usually doesn't. But in WoW's case it definitely does. Consumers got that one right.

An example of failure would be Windows. There couldn't be a larger piece of rubbish OS out there, but the majority of consumers use it. They got that one wrong.

Actually, they count for well over half of WOWs claimed playes. The Western paying sub numbers are not that large in comparison and have been dropping like a rock since Cata.