SWTOR Vs WoW: Blizzard gets it

indelible

And Blizzard admitted to a loss in subs due to SWTOR.

What they won't admit is they are releasing D3, and probably MoP early due to pressure from Activision.

How many new titles have they created in the past 5 years? I say new, not sequels.

Blizzard is not the company they once were. They don't care about making games anymore, only about eating diamonds for breakfast.

You didnt read the last half page of posts? Blizzard and Activision are more or less two separate companies under a holding company called Activision Blizzard, which Vivendi is the parent company. Holding companies is basically paperwork for share holders.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didnt read the last half page of posts? Blizzard and Activision are more or less two separate companies under a holding company called Activision Blizzard, which Vivendi is the parent company. Holding companies is basically paperwork for share holders.

I don't care who owns what. All I know is Blizzard is not a company that makes good games anymore.

What new game have they released in the past 5 years?

All they do is rehash content and call it new.

That's the future of Blizzard.

WOW is a far superior game.

Im even willing to go back to it when they introduce pandas ffs.

I bet I will enjoy it even though I have no love of panda's.

The main reason that BW can not compete with Blizz is Blizz doesnt answer to EA therefore can concentrate on developing the game the way they want it.

And not give us some blatantly rushed game because EA says "It must be ready by this date"

The only thing that might make me play wow again is the solo instances. I like soloing, or dual boxing, etc.. So this is about it.

I don't care who owns what. All I know is Blizzard is not a company that makes good games anymore.

Says who?

*cough* DA, DA2, ME1, ME2, ME3, and so on.... *cough*

New IP != new game.

What new IP has Bioware released in the last 5 years ???

Bioware doesn't even have the guts to release an MMO on their own IP. Instead they pick the most famous IP in science fantasy pop culture and piggyback on it. And then suck at making it work.

Get your facts straight.

Says who?

*cough* DA, DA2, ME1, ME2, ME3, and so on.... *cough*

*cough* Took Blizzard 10 years to rehash D3 and it's not going to be the full game on release...*cough*

We really need to get this *cough* checked out, it may be contagious.

Also, all of the originals in those series were release in the last 5 years plus their sequels.

*cough*

What new games did Blizz release?

*cough*

Edited by Azzras

That's the future of Blizzard.

You know whats amazing though? Is that in the past 15 years blizzard only has had 3 IPs.

Warcraft

Diablo

StarCraft

yet, they're doing amazingly well for themselves. You do realize that any other game company would sell their soul to be able to focus on only a couple of IPs and have 15-20 years of unmatched success.

The success of blizzard though, doesn't ride on Diablo 3, World of Warcraft or StarCraft but in their new game which has a new IP being developed for it and will be something completely different than any game we've seen before. Code named Titan, the project has been in development for 4 years so far.

In contrast, Starcraft 2 was in development for 7 years, diablo 3 for 9 years and World of Warcraft took 5 years and started before Wc3 was released.

New IP != new game.

Bioware doesn't even have the guts to release an MMO on their own IP. Instead they pick the most famous IP in science fantasy pop culture and piggyback on it. And then suck at making it work.

Get your facts straight.

haha, I didn't even think of that one.

Not to mention that games today take years to make by themselves.

The success of blizzard though, doesn't ride on Diablo 3, World of Warcraft or StarCraft but in their new game which has a new IP being developed for it and will be something completely different than any game we've seen before. Code named Titan, the project has been in development for 4 years so far.

How do you know it will be something different?

No information has been released about it.

Last speculation I had heard was it would be a FPS.

New IP != new game.

Get your facts straight.

Mass Effect and Dragon Age were BW's IPs unless I missed something.

And again, what has Blizzard released?

Edited by Azzras

How do you know it will be something different?

No information has been released about it.

Last speculation I had heard was it would be a FPS.

There is industry info out there. Definitely not an FPS. It's not a traditional game in the sense you're thinking.

That's about it. 2 IPs to Blizzard's 3. And neither of the 2 even remotely as popular as any one of Blizzard's 3.

And they are in the process of releasing a 4th new IP. There were job posts in blizzard.com about it.

They are trying to release a badly developed game called Diablo III, or so I hear. I played it in beta and it looks like Diablo II with loads of bugs. Really. No way I'm pre-ordering that. I'm going to give it a couple months to make sure it's not terrible.

Because ruining Azeroth with Pandas wasn't LOL enough.

Edited by islander

That's about it. 2 IPs to Blizzard's 3. And neither of the 2 even remotely as popular as any one of Blizzard's 3.

And they are in the process of releasing a 4th new IP. There were job posts in blizzard.com about it.

We were talking what was released in the past 5 years.

Baldur's Gate is another that comes to mind, but that was released a long time ago.

Edit:

Anyone recall that Blizzard was laughed at for the original Star Craft...ORCS IN SPACE!!!

Edited by Azzras

Baldur's Gate is another that comes to mind, but that was released a long time ago.

Edit:

Anyone recall that Blizzard was laughed at for the original Star Craft...ORCS IN SPACE!!!

Lost Vikings.

Edit:

Yes in 96, guess what blizzard did with that feedback?

They spent the next two years creating StarCraft.

The definitive RTS by which every RTS after has been judged against. people STILL play the original SC even though SC2 is out.

You can't really improve on perfection.

The definitive RTS by which every RTS after has been judged against. people STILL play the original SC even though SC2 is out.

Sorry what!. i can just lol at this, you ever heard of westwood by any chance.

Edited by Shingara

Released well over a decade ago. 1992

Lost Vikings II was 1997.

So?

Star Wars was released on May 25, 1977. And old man Lucas is still minting millions out of it. Because Star Wars was a masterpiece as an IP.

A good IP is a good IP.

There's a difference between cheap fast fiction and the timeless masterpieces. You want the cheap fast fiction; I want the timeless masterpieces.

Why are we even comparing a game released in 2004 with a game released in 2011 ? The very fact that we even bother comparing these two games years apart in development and technology is a testimony of how great the old game is. Even today, MMO devs are struggling to match and surpass the standard that WoW had set.

you know what ironic about your post,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westwood_Studios

Acquired by Electronic Arts in 1998, closed in 2003

Then EA created a couple of C&C, then they pushed the IP off to bioware who is scheduled to release a new one in 2013.

Nothing ironic apart from the fact that you think sc was bigger then tiberium sun and red alert series, go back to school, who gives a smeg what happened to westwood the fact is westwood were and are the mcdaddys of rts.

Edited by Shingara

Command & Conquer is much better than SC.

It has multiple world records:

Command & Conquer's long history resulted in Guinness World Records awarding the series 6 world records in the Guinness World Records: Gamer's Edition 2008. These records include "Biggest Selling RTS Series", "Most Number of Platforms for an RTS", and "Longest Running Actor in Video Game Role" for Joe Kucan, who has played the part of Kane, the villainous mastermind of the series, for 15 years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_%26_Conquer

Edited by Azzras