Early Access 'Waves' - Updating Here

StephenReid

Why couldn't they have posted an approx. date for us when we are going to get our invites instead of having us sit around with our thumbs up our @#$@#(*? Disappointed.

Because if they were off on their approx. date by more than 30 seconds, everyone in existence would complain about how bioware lied to them and they sold their kids thinking they were going to get in 45 seconds ago, and they now have no kids and no early access.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone.

We absolutely understand you want to get in and play the game early. It's one of the reasons we expanded our Early Game Access from a maximum of five days to a maximum of seven days. However, there are a couple of important points to realize about today's opening salvo of invites, and the procedure in general for Early Game Access and launch.

First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test. In our previous Beta Testing Weekends we got up to very large concurrent number of players and brought invites into the game at a very high rate. That was done to stress test every aspect of our systems and servers, and essentially to see if they broke. In some cases, they did, but that helped us improve for launch.

For us, launch isn't just about stuffing our servers with as many people as possible. As anyone who's been through a large MMO launch can tell you, that experience can be painful. Our aim with this launch was to ramp things up gradually, to spread our player population out amongst a variety of servers, to maintain all server types, and to keep queuing to a minimum (although we expect that to happen as we head towards December 20th). So far, all that has been successful for us on Day One.

The second thing to realize is scale. We invited more people to play Star Wars: The Old Republic today than many other MMO launches manage in their entire head-start process. As I mentioned earlier today, when we opened pre-orders we had a huge spike in numbers - far more than most MMOs capture at launch. That was the initial rush. After that, our pre-orders settled down.

What this means is that tomorrow, you'll effectively start to see the pre-order timeline expand. You'll see people who have pre-ordered later than July getting invites. The day after that, more people will be invited. We're actually planning to invite more tomorrow than today, and invite the same number again on Thursday - at which point we'll be into the original 'five days of Early Game Access'.

Last thing. Why aren't we continuing to send waves over time? Two main reasons - one, because we need to see that the servers are maintaining stability over time; adding a lot of players in a short period (in other words, stress testing) can cause stability issues.

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and role out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together.

Our aim is for Star Wars: The Old Republic to be around for a long time to come. Today's just the first step in that - an early step, too - and we'll be running smoothly, with a stable population, before too long.

I totally understand....but why not just take a break in between the waves?

For example: you let 5 waves in so far...why not start letting more in around 5 or 6pm? what's so bad about that? Honestly...Rift had far more people jump into the head start all at once on day 1....yes..there were some queue times...but no problems with server crashes....so It is possible to do more today....this really sucks for those of us that have been waiting over 3 years to play and aren't in yet....i feel cheated...I even got the CE for $150......

THIS SAYS IT ALL!! COPY AND PASTE SO THEY GET THE MESSAGE!

Originally Posted by Kinegos

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, EA/BW - what exactly are you afraid of?

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out.

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD (AS WE KNOW IT)

So I don't get it.

Originally there were only going to be 5 days of the Early Access.

It was extended to 7 days.

Now people are upset because they're not given immediate access on the days that they wouldn't have had in the first place?

All I see and hear in this thread seems to be "Waahhh Frankie can play, why can't I?!" followed by someone copy pasting a message because they didn't care enough to type their own, but felt the said message had something in it that they could somewhat agree with, followed by a troll, followed by a voice of reason, which is then shot down by a troll, which then repeats endlessly.

Although I do find it amusing that by the time I read one page of posts in this thread, 2 more pages appear.

Signed a 1000 times! :cool:

The most funny part about all this is that all this nerds will rejoice in the game with early access, will have a stable and amazing start into an amazing game.

On the 20th, they will be on the servers saying that the game is awesome, that they even got early access (trying to create envy on those that didn't pre-order), showing their nice sabers and staps, and they will never talk about this anymore.

It reminds me a review for a geek in youtube. All his reviews during this past year, he said Bioware sucks, Bioware would fail becouse of this and that, that beta was terrible (although he wasn't invited yet), that Bioware didn't respond to any of his emails (like they should, lol), and imediatly after getting access to the beta, everything changed, Bioware did a great work, all MMO's would have to be like SWTOR from now on, all systems were excelent, etc.

In my personal experience, I do follow Bioware since the first KOTOR, I was online when the announcement was made about a third KOTOR that would be an MMO and nobody believed Bioware could do it (well, it's true both KOTOR where filled with annoying bugs).

I was there when it actually became a reallity, this game would really go ahead and Bioware would really do it. I was listening when they changed the name and concept. I waitted all these years with a lot of patience although the ideia of this game trully exist was a dream come true and a huge step for mankind.

I registred on SWTOR webpage when I started to feel that Bioware was trully confident about this achievement. I waitted again after irrealistic predictions of next year, next spring, next may, next summer, next everything.

Never ever bothered to write an email to Bioware beggin for beta test.

One day, I get an email from them allowing my beta test access.

Went to test it super excited about the so gratefull oportunity to be a part of this.

Performed every possible test on various step ups.

Answered their surveys about the game.

Next weekend, was another test, I wasn't invited in and I didn't dished the game or Bioware off.

Waitted for more CE availability but they never came.

Pre-ordered the DDE on the last day of November after giving up my hopes for more CE's suplies.

The said "up to 5 days access" and I thought "one day would already be great".

Then Bioware surprises us all with this gift of possible 7 days, pushing a lot of "one day early access" players to a lot bigger chance of two or three days.

And today, I arrive here an thousands of people are complaining about Bioware and early-access.

Where is this world going to?!

Do they even have any obligation to listen to you?!

"Hey Stan! Try to understand, I didn't want you for a fan!"

Be very gratefull for Lucasarts (George Lucas) and Bioware spent so many time and resources to build this amazing game for their profits, dreams and achievemnt, but also for our dreams come true.

Thank you Bioware, please invite me in at anytime you like and/or ready for it.

I don't care if I only get in on the 22th. (Europe official starting date).

All I care is that you keep up this good work on the following years, that you manage to make even more dreams come true as I know you have a lot more in store for us, a please, disregard completly this childish dogmatic wave of ignorant people. They don't even imagine where we were in KOTOR (that too, a dream came true) and they don't even imagine where we'll end up when all our imagination and dreams come true.

Thank you George for this Universe and for all the trouble you have to make it wider and wider and wider.

Amazing. Trully worth of mention in History books for all mankind in the future. You can level this with an amazing step to what we gamers trully aim for.

Perfect simulation, perfect sensation, perfect alter-worlds.

Alive since zx spectrum 48k.

Forget about this kids that were born with everything and actually know nothing.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by StephenReid

Hey everyone.

We absolutely understand you want to get in and play the game early. It's one of the reasons we expanded our Early Game Access from a maximum of five days to a maximum of seven days. However, there are a couple of important points to realize about today's opening salvo of invites, and the procedure in general for Early Game Access and launch.

First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test. In our previous Beta Testing Weekends we got up to very large concurrent number of players and brought invites into the game at a very high rate. That was done to stress test every aspect of our systems and servers, and essentially to see if they broke. In some cases, they did, but that helped us improve for launch.

For us, launch isn't just about stuffing our servers with as many people as possible. As anyone who's been through a large MMO launch can tell you, that experience can be painful. Our aim with this launch was to ramp things up gradually, to spread our player population out amongst a variety of servers, to maintain all server types, and to keep queuing to a minimum (although we expect that to happen as we head towards December 20th). So far, all that has been successful for us on Day One.

The second thing to realize is scale. We invited more people to play Star Wars: The Old Republic today than many other MMO launches manage in their entire head-start process. As I mentioned earlier today, when we opened pre-orders we had a huge spike in numbers - far more than most MMOs capture at launch. That was the initial rush. After that, our pre-orders settled down.

What this means is that tomorrow, you'll effectively start to see the pre-order timeline expand. You'll see people who have pre-ordered later than July getting invites. The day after that, more people will be invited. We're actually planning to invite more tomorrow than today, and invite the same number again on Thursday - at which point we'll be into the original 'five days of Early Game Access'.

Last thing. Why aren't we continuing to send waves over time? Two main reasons - one, because we need to see that the servers are maintaining stability over time; adding a lot of players in a short period (in other words, stress testing) can cause stability issues.

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and role out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together.

Our aim is for Star Wars: The Old Republic to be around for a long time to come. Today's just the first step in that - an early step, too - and we'll be running smoothly, with a stable population, before too long.

Thing your missing is you lost a lot of customers today i'm sure. Im only following this thread because I'm at work for another 45 minutes and it's patch day.

I'm not going to compete with other players for names and gear a week after early launch. I didn't lose a name or two because I didn't sign on, I lost them because I wasn't permitted to sign on before others.

I planned to play on a PVP server so let me tell you how eager I am to know that half the server population will out level me by a massive margine the first day I log in, oh how I would love to get PK'd at level 6 by a level 30 ONLY because he got in early then I. I'm sure you guys didn't think of that one.

This has been the worst launch ever, even compared to games that had congestion on day one, the players were happy just to set up access and create their characters while servers are ironed out. Considering you just stated you had more pre-orders then most games get orders, you should have done your work and prepared for that.

THIS SAYS IT ALL!! COPY AND PASTE SO THEY GET THE MESSAGE!

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

Since I'm not in yet, I am now entertaining myself by flagging anyone who quote that message for spaming.

At least hit the quote button and add something to it so it's not pure spam.

Or better yet, realize spaming a stupid idea is not going to get you in, so go play outside.

Hey everyone.

First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test.

You contradicted yourself.

Also you lied about order of early access. First wave was media.

Also people like me got screwed because my initial pre-order code was invalid and I had to wait almost 2 months to get a new one from you so my spot in line is shuffled down due to poor customer service.

This trend of lies and changing this at the last second(like grace period) is going to ruin the confidence of the players of this game.

Bioware isn't used to dealing with an MMO community. They have made a lot of really amateurish decisions, IMO. And no, I'm not whining because I'm not in-game because, in fact, I am in game. But that doesn't mean that this method of early access isn't the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Here's the thing; the reason other MMO's have problems on launch day is because they try to be fair to all players. This is only right since everyone is paying for the game. Bioware, on the other hand, does what's convenient for Bioware, and while they may be able to brag about having an uncommonly smooth launch later on, that won't change the fact they've ticked off thousands and thousands of players who preordered their game. They are taking short-cuts. What good is it to have a smooth release if your player base is just as pissed off at you (or even more pissed off at you) than if you'd had a release with packed servers and long queue times.

What's Bioware going to do on the 20th when they can't "ramp up" any more? Sorry Bioware, I love you guys, but this decision just tells me you have no idea how to handle an MMO community.

I don't think people mind waiting. The thing that bothers everyone is not knowing when. IF there would be an ETA to show you when you can expect to play even if its in 5 days there would be way less complains.

Exactly. Something along the lines of "You pre-ordered on ______. You should receive early access on _______ or_______, in wave number __, __, or __." would be fantastic.

I pre-ordered on 7/24, and I'm still waiting. I hate knowing that early game access has started without knowing when I'll get access.

"O, beware, my lord, of jealousy;

It is the green-ey'd monster, which doth mock

The meat it feeds on. That cuckold lives in bliss,

Who, certain of his fate, loves not his wronger:

But O, what damnèd minutes tells he o'er

Who dotes, yet doubts, suspects, yet strongly loves!"

William Shakespeare, Othello

That hath made him mad.

I am sorry that with better heed and judgment

I had not quoted him: I fear'd he did but trifle,

And meant to wreck thee; but, beshrew my jealousy!

By heaven, it is as proper to our age

To cast beyond ourselves in our opinions

As it is common for the younger sort

To lack discretion.

William Shakespeare, Hamlet