Adv. Prototype vs. Pyrotech

otterscrubber

I am new to BH so please bear with my noob questions. I just hit lvl 10, and got my BH to the fleet. going Powertech and going to decide my tree. Based on the names, I assumed the pyro tree to be all about flame attacks and the Adv. Proto to be something else. However the AP tree seems to have a ton of flame attack improvements.

I'm looking to dps/tank when needed. Would AP tree work for this? What are the Pro and Con of the two trees. I should mention my primary use is to PVE and just level up, but jump in a flashpoint when i can.

the bad players will scream that pyro is better because you can RNG burst someone down with LUCKY procs, AP is good solid consistant SUSTAINED damage.

both sped are good you just got to find what playstyle you like

as far as tanking you need to be a tank to tank in this game, you cannot half spec it and be effective past the mid 20s.

Edited by Hizoka

the bad players will scream that pyro is better because you can RNG burst someone down with LUCKY procs, AP is good solid consistant SUSTAINED damage.

as far as tanking you need to be a tank to tank in this game, you cannot half spec it and be effective past the mid 20s.

I'm starting to feel you are terrible at playing Pyro since you put it down non-stop Hizoka (Or Assault actually since I think you are republic). That or you aren't properly gearing for it properly and getting poor results.

Pyro does not require "lucky" procs to burst somebody down. Pyro has "sustained" damage in both a PvE or a PvP environment if you are not "bad player" and manage your heat properly.

AP is an easier spec to play as you do not have to worry about resource management as much. Pyro you can easily overheat and lose a good portion of DPS if you aren't playing it right.

If you want synergy with tanking then you should go mostly shieldtech for tanking, then put some points into AP.

AP lets you spec into the 2% damage reduction (that does help, believe it or not) and you can still get some good damage with rocket punch and railshot. You won't be doing as much damage as a full dps spec, but it is absolutely doable while leveling and for some hardmodes if you have good gear (or friends with good gear).

something like this http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GRGb0MroMZMsrboMZb.1

I've tanked hardmodes with that spec. You can switch to High-Energy Gas Cylinder when you are in a dps role and still do well *while leveling* but for hardmodes you will notice your dps isn't great compared to a pure dps spec.

Fill in the points in rocket punch, railshot and fire damage on lower tiers of the tree first, then go on to fill in the rest of the AP tree. At lower levels, Ion Gas Cylinder provides plenty of defense and DFA+taunts will keep aggro on you. You can fill in the rest of the shield tree after level 31.

Currently, you can run a shieldtech/pyro combo but that will change in 1.2 when pyro will require CGC and, personally, I think it's better to get used to the style you want to play instead of running with a spec that becomes useless in a couple weeks.

If you would rather just DPS then AP and Pyro are kind of different playstyles.

AP: Constant heat venting, mostly melee range, sustained damage. Multiple speed boost buffs enhance mobility. Better off in longer fights where DoTs can run their course.

Pyro: High burst damage, better range capability, fairly RNG dependent, unlucky numbers can leave you overheated or forced to weave in more rapid shots.

I'd recommend specializing when you get to end game content since hybrids aren't as useful in OPs. Hardmodes can be done as a hybrid if you have good gear/friends.

Edited by Noollig

Correction, the bad players are those who think they are better than those who came before them, been there done that, and think that by being the rare few that use a broken tree, makes them magically better players.

To the OP, PvP wise, if you think lasting 3-4 sec longer while stunned is worth a loss in burst and damage, go AP. PvE wise, if you are new to the PT class, dont know how to manage heat, enjoy some cute bells and whistles, go AP.....otherwise go Pyro and melt faces in both PvP and PvE.

If the Pyro "Bad players" were wrong all along, why in the world is Pyro getting a huge nerf and AP a buff? lol

And FYI, Pyro has always put out more consistent dps than AP, PvP AND PvE. But you can go ahead an remain in your cocoon.

Edited by Agooz

Correction, the bad players are those who think they are better than those who came before them, been there done that, and think that by being the rare few that use a broken tree, makes them magically better players.

To the OP, PvP wise, if you think lasting 3-4 sec longer while stunned is worth a loss in burst and damage, go AP. PvE wise, if you are new to the PT class, dont know how to manage heat, enjoy some cute bells and whistles, go AP.....otherwise go Pyro and melt faces in both PvP and PvE.

If the Pyro "Bad players" were wrong all along, why in the world is Pyro getting a huge nerf and AP a buff? lol

And FYI, Pyro has always put out more consistent dps than AP, PvP AND PvE. But you can go ahead an remain in your cocoon.

I've been a powertech since beta, and I remember crazy stuff like getting thermal detonator as just a normal bounty hunter skill, so I've been around a bit. I disagree with your assessment of AP as being useless. It's good for it's uses, killing healers, surviving while stunned, and ignoring grapples and punts after you've closed distance. Like any spec it takes a bit to figure out and get used to.

Pyro can give you an unlucky string of 'no Rail Shots for juu!' we've all had it, it's just part of the spec. It can also give you that 'I AM A GOD OF DPS!!!!1' feeling when you burn someone to a spec of ash in a few gcd's.

So ur point is.... AP is better at consistent damage than the worst case scenario pyrotech :p

I have tried AP a couple of times and the damage is really noticeably lower than pyrotech the argument that its better at killing helears is wrong... As pyro if u know how to manage heat mildly ok ull kill healer more efficiently, AP isn't harder to play...

I've been a powertech since beta, and I remember crazy stuff like getting thermal detonator as just a normal bounty hunter skill, so I've been around a bit. I disagree with your assessment of AP as being useless. It's good for it's uses, killing healers, surviving while stunned, and ignoring grapples and punts after you've closed distance. Like any spec it takes a bit to figure out and get used to.

Pyro can give you an unlucky string of 'no Rail Shots for juu!' we've all had it, it's just part of the spec. It can also give you that 'I AM A GOD OF DPS!!!!1' feeling when you burn someone to a spec of ash in a few gcd's.

I never said it is useless. Having no points in any tree, or running around naked is useless :p

The whole point of my post was to fire back at the arrogant person who thinks he alone knows the real ins and outs of the class and that bad players go pyro lol.

Like someone else said, AP has its uses in premades. But as solo queue, which how I and most poeple run, Pyro is the way to go imo.

Obviously in 2 weeks or so, I may think AP is more viable that what it is right now. But I will hold my opinion on that until I actually test it post 1.2...The patch notes alone are not enough to convince me.

Edited by Agooz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.