Thanx Bioware, awesome game...

joxer

Oh I just said that cause I'm not that different than them. Being nice to you cause you're an ex-SWG & a bit tired from being up the last 24+ hours, but yeah I annoyed w/ BioWare just as much as they. I'm unsubbed right now too, but as you can see that unlike with SOE's boards, we can still post here, ha ha ha. :p

I'm going to re-sub in April tho when we will get alot of content that should have been in at launch in with patch 1.2. It's going to be a better game then, I hopes. Maybe by then I'll cyas ingame.

I can handle a civilized debate and conversations, in fact this might even be fun and enlightening.

Why do you hate this game so much? I'm not making fun or trying to start a fight, I really want to know why you hate it here... with out all the poop and nonsense name calling.

and by the way... Bioware take note here.. don't allow non subs to post on forums, and restrict free accounts from posting as well. Your just inviting the bad vibs.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey buddy...to be honest. This game isn't for endgame. It's the only mmo that has an actual leveling experience. So either

1. Play for the experience

2. Get the h e l l out :)

Bioware needs to restrict nonsub accounts from posting on the forums, free accounts also or at least put free accounts on their own forum where we don't have to visit the hate if we don't want to.

That's the real issue here. The trolls are out because they can be

Welcome, to counter someone who claims he reached level 50 in 2 weeks, it's been 23 days and I am only level 42, about to start Quesh.

I had my 50 jugg 2 days after official release ... I got to lvl during pre-release week for the preorders .. it was holidays for me and snowing .. and I hate snow so ya .. I was a game junkie for a week and a half :p

so bad.

buy this game is real fail.

go ALL DL mass effect 3, reason swtor is a fail.

(sigh)

Why are you here?

I really wanted to try to make a few friends in a game that I like... and I have to put up with you..?

Just go away.. and keep your stuff it smells from all the crap you throw around anyway.

I know this might sound a bit unreal... but in the first five days of the free trial I tested every calss to level 10, I seem to have settled on the light side playing a jedi healing class however a friend of mine also wants me to play on the sith side... so most likly I'll keep exploring all the classes and try to see everything this game has to offer.. thats half the fun.. right?

As far as comparing SWG starsider and TOR (The Old Republic), the only thing I can say is... wheres all the role playing in TOR? .... I miss role playing... but really it seems that TOR will have its own place in my history of good memories and fun times, as did Galaxies.

I recommend leveling a toon up higher before coming to conclusions. Some of them you wont get a real feel for till around 25-30

Edited by Maglon

I can handle a civilized debate and conversations, in fact this might even be fun and enlightening.

Why do you hate this game so much? I'm not making fun or trying to start a fight, I really want to know why you hate it here... with out all the poop and nonsense name calling.

and by the way... Bioware take note here.. don't allow non subs to post on forums, and restrict free accounts from posting as well. Your just inviting the bad vibs.

I'm not very good at the civilized, but I'll bite. I honestly do not hate SWTOR. I hate BioWare. Before playing TOR, I never played a BW game before, nor was a a fan of single player RPG's. I played fighting video games like Streetfighters, Mortal Kombats & niche MMO's like SWG, the Matrix Online, Age of Conan, APB:Reloaded, no fantasy MMO's.

So back in 2009 I was hanging out on the SWG & theforce.net forums when I kept on seeing threads pop up about some new upcoming Star Wars MMO being made by BioWare, the guys that made that turn-based combat KOTOR game that I refused to play cause I refused to play turn-based combat games-see the pattern, I'm not much of a gamer & very picky about what video games I'll play cause I'll not into video games all that much-

So I really wanted to play this game considering that I was long done with SWG after 2 months into the NGE when I'd had enough. It was amazing later on to find out that so many of the current Dev team working now for BioWare, used to be ex-SWG Devs, Dallas Dickinsen, Rich Vogel, Matt Bourdeaux a.k.a. AdeptStrain & many others.

I'm rambling, but long story short, I feel that BioWare has been cutting too many corners financially in this game & that they just do not have the technical experience with this Hero Engine to give this game what it needs to succeed. Server merges need to happen but they can't because the game engine won't allow it. Same server que'ing for flashpoint grouping needs to happen but it can't because the game engine won't allow it. Appearance tabs need to happen but it won't because BioWare's insistence on trying to somehow make their experimental orange item mod system work won't allow it.

It's a decent game, but maybe without EA & BioWare, it could've been so much better. Or it could've been worse, who can tell?

Bioware needs to restrict nonsub accounts from posting on the forums, free accounts also or at least put free accounts on their own forum where we don't have to visit the hate if we don't want to.

That's the real issue here. The trolls are out because they can be

And you're right, we really shouldn't be allowed to post anymore. My sub just ended 2 days ago & it's weird that I'm still here, even tho I know it is working as intended. :p

I recommend leveling a toon up higher before coming to conclusions. Some of them you wont get a real feel for till around 25-30

I know I'm a bit presumptuous, but the fact is I know if I'm going to like a game or not based on the first introduction, and to be fair the character abilities never really start till you reach level 10 no matter what game you play. I'm sorry you became disgruntled with the classes and characters, at least you sure sound like you are. Perhaps you might find more fun in another game. I know I'm going to like this game and everything it has to offer so far.

I do have a dislike for a few of the classes, but its more about play style then anything. So Next time speak for yourself. Tell me how you feel about something, don't tell me how you think I should feel about it. Don't presume I'm anything like you or that I'm going to feel the same hate you do for something. Just be happy with sharing your experience.

And you're right, we really shouldn't be allowed to post anymore. My sub just ended 2 days ago & it's weird that I'm still here, even tho I know it is working as intended. :p

Glad you agree Lad.

I know I'm a bit presumptuous, but the fact is I know if I'm going to like a game or not based on the first introduction, and to be fair the character abilities never really start till you reach level 10 no matter what game you play. I'm sorry you became disgruntled with the classes and characters, at least you sure sound like you are. Perhaps you might find more fun in another game. I know I'm going to like this game and everything it has to offer so far.

I do have a dislike for a few of the classes, but its more about play style then anything. So Next time speak for yourself. Tell me how you feel about something, don't tell me how you think I should feel about it. Don't presume I'm anything like you or that I'm going to feel the same hate you do for something. Just be happy with sharing your experience.

Yeah, see, that a good attitude to have. At some point I had it too, I think I had it until I found out that TOR's space combat was an on-rails space shooter. I really loved-ed my Vaksai starfighter & MF POB ship in SWG. That's when I really became disillusioned. Don't let people on these forums bring you down, keep your head up & all that. Be cool. :cool:

Edited by Tricky-Ha

Def not disgruntled with any of the classes I play/played. (Jugg/Sorc/Merc/Sniper/Commando/Gunslinger)

All im saying is some toons dont open up until about 25-30 and give you the full experience. At level 10 in this game you just get to select an advanced class. From 1-10 almost all classes are similar in the intro .. 1-5 buttons to push etc ...

I was just meaning to give advice incase you said no to a class that in the end you may enjoy.

Point being .. lvl 10 is too early to decide.

OP, you are a very patient guy, kudos to you! :)

Btw, i share your vision about the game. Playing since end of December and yet no lvl 50s.

8 chars, the highest at lvl 35.

Not in a hurry, playing with friends in my spare time, enjoying the great storylines, amazing music, beautiful enviroments (i wanna live on Alderaan. A great place to live for the next 3k years at least).

Playing solo is funny, playin with friends is just great.

Random RP happens (mostly in cantinas), i'm in love with crew skills and companions (some of them literally speaking).

PvP is really funny, much more than other MMO's i tried.

Oh, i'm on Lord Calypho EU server, btw.

Enjoy your game, don't worry about end-game doomsday sayers, and when you are worn out, move along.

In peace, like a good jedi would do.

May the Force be with you.

P.S. And greetings to Windy City. One of the most stunning (and underrated) US cities i had the luck to visit in my life.

I'm not very good at the civilized, but I'll bite. I honestly do not hate SWTOR. I hate BioWare. Before playing TOR, I never played a BW game before, nor was a a fan of single player RPG's. I played fighting video games like Streetfighters, Mortal Kombats & niche MMO's like SWG, the Matrix Online, Age of Conan, APB:Reloaded, no fantasy MMO's.

So back in 2009 I was hanging out on the SWG & theforce.net forums when I kept on seeing threads pop up about some new upcoming Star Wars MMO being made by BioWare, the guys that made that turn-based combat KOTOR game that I refused to play cause I refused to play turn-based combat games-see the pattern, I'm not much of a gamer & very picky about what video games I'll play cause I'll not into video games all that much-

So I really wanted to play this game considering that I was long done with SWG after 2 months into the NGE when I'd had enough. It was amazing later on to find out that so many of the current Dev team working now for BioWare, used to be ex-SWG Devs, Dallas Dickinsen, Rich Vogel, Matt Bourdeaux a.k.a. AdeptStrain & many others.

I'm rambling, but long story short, I feel that BioWare has been cutting too many corners financially in this game & that they just do not have the technical experience with this Hero Engine to give this game what it needs to succeed. Server merges need to happen but they can't because the game engine won't allow it. Same server que'ing for flashpoint grouping needs to happen but it can't because the game engine won't allow it. Appearance tabs need to happen but it won't because BioWare's insistence on trying to somehow make their experimental orange item mod system work won't allow it.

It's a decent game, but maybe without EA & BioWare, it could've been so much better. Or it could've been worse, who can tell?

I think you have the wrong idea about the hero engine, or any game engine. Any block of coding can be changed, tweaked or what ever term you want to use. Game engines are nothing more then a book, to put things in a term most people will understand here, and you can fill that book with what ever you want given limitations on rendering, physics and other technical stuff only code monkeys will understand. Things like AI, animations, sound, interfacing, networking and more stuff then I can list here are all code blocks with in the engine's code platform. Hero engine is not as limited as you make it out to be. All a game engine does is tell the code blocks where they fit in at and what functions can be performed and then directs the flow of all that information and mathematics . Hero engine, now hero cloud, Is a very advanced engine that takes advantage of the newest rendering capabilities of today's video cards and processor speeds, with a $600,000.00 USD price tag at the time of old republic development.

Buying the rights for a pre-built engine freed the development team to work on content over coding a new game engine, by the way it takes years to code game engines with a team of coders, but if you knew that you would know the basic working of the hero engine. Game development schools do not teach game engine coding as much as block coding, the game engine is not what you make it out to be. The engine does not effect server merging, the network server farm does.

It's unfair to say they can't or will not make the changes you listed, its a matter of coding engine blocks, then testing for code error, again with an entire team of coders, this takes away from content creation. At this stage of the game they can not afford to take time away from content development to merge servers, for all you know the servers might have a higher population then you think, you just don't know. Merging the in game servers really has nothing to do with the game engine and almost everything to do with the client server farm. For all you know Bioware is under contract to maintain the amount of servers they have for x amount of time. In that case they can not merge servers as you claim should be done under contract agrements.

I can say more but I really see no point, I know you made up your mind, its just too bad that so many people like you try to force the mind set on new players and players that do like this game with nonsense. You really should not make statements about things you really know nothing about.

OP, you are a very patient guy, kudos to you! :)

Btw, i share your vision about the game. Playing since end of December and yet no lvl 50s.

8 chars, the highest at lvl 35.

Not in a hurry, playing with friends in my spare time, enjoying the great storylines, amazing music, beautiful enviroments (i wanna live on Alderaan. A great place to live for the next 3k years at least).

Playing solo is funny, playin with friends is just great.

Random RP happens (mostly in cantinas), i'm in love with crew skills and companions (some of them literally speaking).

PvP is really funny, much more than other MMO's i tried.

Oh, i'm on Lord Calypho EU server, btw.

Enjoy your game, don't worry about end-game doomsday sayers, and when you are worn out, move along.

In peace, like a good jedi would do.

May the Force be with you.

P.S. And greetings to Windy City. One of the most stunning (and underrated) US cities i had the luck to visit in my life.

Thanx. I'm not always, I try every day to remember one thing... its ok, everything will be ok and it's nothing to get upset about. A pregnant twelve year old daughter is something to be upset about, not that I'm in that situation or that I look down on people that are, this is just a game.

First chance I get I'll roll a character up in your server.

Edited by joxer

This game has the potential to be everything we wanted SWG to be. Hopefully the devs don't bow to the pressure of the people who would love to turn it into a *** clone w/a Star Wars skin and keep on doing what BW does best. Make awesome, original games.

I played on Sunrunner myself and loved SWG. I didn't make it very long after the NGE though... SOE killed a little piece of me with that whole ordeal.

Is it safe to make a real post yet..?

Have the trolls moved on to the next new game yet?

Diablo III is coming out soon.. you should all go there and post hate and doom there...

Ooo Oooo... guild wars II is due out soon... you can all pack up the troll truck and move there

Yeah, see, that a good attitude to have. At some point I had it too, I think I had it until I found out that TOR's space combat was an on-rails space shooter. I really loved-ed my Vaksai starfighter & MF POB ship in SWG. That's when I really became disillusioned. Don't let people on these forums bring you down, keep your head up & all that. Be cool. :cool:

My head was spinning from all the trolling and hate, it was almost difficult to know who was being sarcastic.

At the end of the SWG game they started to include some neat things... lots and lots of house items, tons more clothing, new droids, they started to bring back old pets... but it was built on the same dumb NGE system, and thats what really killed the game.

I started this post to voice my concern that Bioware could fall into the same trap, or in this case the sarlac pit, and kill the game. I can see the cross roads Old Republic now faces, lets just hope that EA has learned from the Warhammer experience and looks to such examples as Sony online (example of what not to do), Turbine (success with dungeons and dragons), NC Soft (Success with guild wars), CCP (success with eve online)

Contrary to what many people say here, EA has the most successful sports gaming franchise, they are the original developers of Sim City and the SIMS, the number one.. what ever kind of game you would classify them as. EA has a strong track record with solid games, MMOs are new to them, save warhammer online, in that case they bought it after it was on the market for some time. Old republic is the first MMO they have been involved with on a development level. I'm giving them this chance, and so far they are holding up to the reputation of solid games. Bioware.. what I can say about them, developers of never winter nights, Bolders Gate, Knights of the Old Republic (only one of the most successful RPGs save never winter nights)...

Both good companies, solid track records regardless of what the doom sayers and trolls say.