Pve vs Pvp

Madwooki

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that Swtor was a pve game 1st with pvp as an option.

So why is this game being balanced around pvp, since pvp consists of 3 boring warzones?

Because balance doesn't matter as much in PvE since you're not fighting other classes.

I remember in WoW, I only PvE'd. I would get my toon geared and set up a rotation. As soon as my dps was good enough to not get me kicked from a raid group, they would nerf my dps bucause it was "too OP in pvp".

So because someone thought my class was doing too much dps in a BG, my raid dps had to suffer. :mad:

I really dont understand why they cant have a series of buff and de-buffs to classes for JUST pvp and leave pve out of it. That would make everyone happy. They have "bolster" for warzones. They should expand on that. This is been a problem in every mmo i've ever played. I think its time for some new ideas on how to balance. But in any case im a pvp'er and this doesnt bother me as much :p

Well I think most people turn to pvp because you can only do so much at lvl 50. Let's see... HM's... but if you raid there's no point to do them. You can only do 4 ops a week... You can do all your ops in 2 nights or 1 very long day. ... So what's left? PVP or level a new toon. And since now everyone eventually finds their way into pvp... "Hey he's doing more damage to me!!!! QQ!!!!!" (Where did QQ come from anyway?) So that's why it is balanced around pvp. Because you're all supposed to do the exact same damage. Tanks and dps are supposed to do the exact same damage and take the exact same damage.

Kind of wish they would make a pvp buff so that your toon would have a certain amount of stats in pvp and not effect pve. But that's probably a **** load more coding or something.

Balancing skills for both PvE & PvP might be what cause some game developers to end up at the asylum. :p

In Guild Wars, they had so much problem with that, in the end they made each skill (when necessary) have slightly different statistics depending if you were in a PvE or a PvP zone.

So they could tweak the PvP as much as their hearts told them without affecting PvE whatsoever.

Obviously it's a bit trickier on SWTOR, since technically you can have PvP anywhere and not only in PvP designated zone.

I personally don't like much when the PvE is too much regulated by the PvP aspect, because it has a tendency to remove the personality of each class, and also often break PvE combat fun because while skills get tweaked for PvP, PvE encounters remain the same old ones.

Edited by Elysith

I was under the impression that Swtor was a pve game 1st with pvp as an option.

So why is this game being balanced around pvp, since pvp consists of 3 boring warzones?

It really depends on what server type you picked as to your perspective of is it a pve game or a pvp one.

For me its a pve based game and i ignore any pvp completely.

Sadly BW took the lazy route of having both server types exactly the same with the exception of pvp flagging. This means ATM they can not make pvp changes with out it effecting pve.

This is one of the reasons i liked eq2 so much. There pvp could not happen at all on pve servers. SO they actually were able to rule to completely different rule sets. Pvp changes simply were not applied to the pve servers.

It really depends on what server type you picked as to your perspective of is it a pve game or a pvp one.

For me its a pve based game and i ignore any pvp completely.

Sadly BW took the lazy route of having both server types exactly the same with the exception of pvp flagging. This means ATM they can not make pvp changes with out it effecting pve.

This is one of the reasons i liked eq2 so much. There pvp could not happen at all on pve servers. SO they actually were able to rule to completely different rule sets. Pvp changes simply were not applied to the pve servers.

They eventually did a similar thing for City of Heroes too. It's not an impossibility at all.

It's all up to BioWare and whether they are willing to implement it. That, however, would require money and effort on their part. Also, their daddy, EA, may not allow them to invest any further resources into the game.

Edited by TwwIX

Create a team of 8 NPCs for each warzone, as the opposition. Delete PVP functions from the game

Bang, 3 new flashpoints

And that would be completely fine with me. I picked a PvE server for a reason.

BioWare needs to realize that everybody plays this game for different reasons. I have been playing MMO's for more than a decade now. I do not care for PvP! I never have and i never will. So why should my entertainment be hindered by something that shouldn't be on my server in the first place?

I remember in WoW, I only PvE'd. I would get my toon geared and set up a rotation. As soon as my dps was good enough to not get me kicked from a raid group, they would nerf my dps bucause it was "too OP in pvp".

So because someone thought my class was doing too much dps in a BG, my raid dps had to suffer. :mad:

Looks like EA/BW recruited some devs from the old Blizzard crew...

Same old same old waste of time, resources, etc... They should have learned from other MMO mistakes and simply use 2 algo for when your spells hits a NPC and when it its a player.

That way no more endless balancing like Blizz, etc do, and it cut down on the endless sea of complaints coming from those with their epeen too firmly attached to that 1 toon.

Every MMO I've played has class "balance" around pvp. In a pve environment no one really cares as long as everyone is welcome to the raid party. (Occasionally a class gets so gimped that they are black flagged).

As a rogue in WoW I can attests to this =( We're really only useful in PvP.

Well really sit down and think about just how many skills are in the game atm. There are some skills that are fair for both worlds as they are, but there are quite a few more that aren't. Now just think about that you'd have to code each and every skill in the game to behave differently from anywhere from varying damage, to the skill maybe not lasting as long or being as effective, and also having to factor in varying diminishing returns on effects etc....

That's that a lot of stuff to get working 2 different ways....and function properly without some kind of bug going in there...I imagine the same reason Blizzard decided not to bother is the same reason SWTOR didn't bother, from a coding perspective that would be a nightmare to get working properly for all of the classes and their specs.....because that system might also have to apply for certain talents too...

PVE is like putting together a jigsaw puzzle, once its balanced, that's it, its done, rinse and repeat, over and over and over. PVP is like a chess match, ever changing tactics and exploits by other players, so it takes a lot more to balance.

PVE is like putting together a jigsaw puzzle, once its balanced, that's it, its done, rinse and repeat, over and over and over. PVP is like a chess match, ever changing tactics and exploits by other players, so it takes a lot more to balance.

So true

This is not a matter of whether it's a possibility or not. It's matter of dedication and effort.

Something that i would like to see BioWare exhibit if they want this game to remain relevant.

The huge patch coming up in two or three weeks doesn't show dedication and effort to you?

The huge patch coming up in two or three weeks doesn't show dedication and effort to you?

Yes, i agree. They're quite dedicated to wielding the nerf bat. Heal nerfs, anyone?

Oh, i assume that you are referring to the Legacy system, yes? I have no opinion of it since i have to yet experience it for myself. I certainly hope that it adds to the depth of the game. Things like the new clothing customization though were already in the beta. They decided to remove it shortly before the release for some vague reason. Besides the Legacy system, the rest of the things that are being added in the patch are just basic functions of every current MMO. They haven't even implemented a coherent LFG system yet, ffs. That's not dedication. That's withholding content to market it as an addition to the game. Sounds familiar, no?

Edited by TwwIX

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.