Scheduled Maintenance March 23rd

Yndras

It's really starting to look that Bioware should revivse their maintenace/patching to avoid upsetting their dimishing player base, whilst trying to encourage new players, especially since we are starting to get to the point of questioning it on the forums.

Disheartning, whilst truely showing your contempt for your player base paid time, kicking them from the game, just so you can prepare a "Free period". Before giving away more free time, maybe spend some time, working these things into normal patches, making sure that your already, paying customers, arn't affected in the future.

Edited by Olgit

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why complain? Really, possibly because there are those of us that get a very limited time to play a game we pay for, generally between 7 and 9 pm weekdays, because we say work for a living 60+ hours a week, so we want to know that the game we are paying for will be up and running during prime time, and not down twice in one week.

Bad scheduling, even wow manages to do it's patches on it's maintenance days.

Being a new game on the market I'd think they would want to keep there customers happy.

You went to the trouble of putting servers in these countries, do the maintenance at a time convienient for your customers, not yourself.

Has it been suggested by anyone, anywhere, that if the regular maintenance and/or unscheduled downtimes of the Asia Pacific servers were made different from the US/Europe servers then customers from those regions would flock to *whatever* servers are still up so they can keep playing?

I've always thought one of the reasons for having a simultaneous downtime was to prevent any one server or cluster of servers from becoming so overloaded/hammered by people trying to get in that it crashes the infrastructure.

Keep in mind that there are only three (3) Asia-Pacific servers at the moment. If those servers were still up while the US/Europe ones were down... They are already Full or extremely Heavy at AP-primetimes, so having the US/Europe 'off-shift' and 'night-owls' population logging into those may very well clog the system.

Let's go extreme-case scenario and briefly imagine increased populations to beyond Full and always Full; bloated queue-times by people not really from that region; it might contribute towards a server population that never sleeps which would do wonders for some server economies and make the GTN-sharks happy, but yeah, just some thoughts.

Post-April transfers. Locked regions.

Problem solved.

Extremely amusing listening to US players give oceanic players advice on what they should be doing on a Friday night. Isn't is approx 1-4am on friday morning there in the US? Great time for winners (unemployed? arts students? live with Mummy? sorry Mommy?) & their action packed lives to be submitting posts...

4.00AM on the button here in Chicago, IL...I do 2d shift client application support and help desk....I was a computer science major....my father died in 1999 and my mother in 2009...most of the bars around my area close at 2 and the kitchens usually long before that...so if you don't mind, I think I'll hang around for a while...

So what?

If you are 47 you should take your kids out and do something sosial! or how u spell it (Socials) / Fun!

I know for some people they have work, and a hard time.. But that is not swtor's fault..

They are just making this better, and if this time dosnt work for you, i suggest you to stop play and do something else :)

Or maybe he should let his kids sleep as its past their bed time.

What is in this emergency/scheduled patch that couldnt wait til Tuesday anyway? This is regularly twice a week now in prime time which just so happen to fall on the only nights I am available to play at the moment due to Real Life committments.

^^ And where exactly would he take his kids at that time of night ? i have have kids and if he/she is anything like me there in bed for roughly 7.00pm-8.00pm, as a parent havin time to yaself stops ya killin yaself lol, so i understand why he/she is pissed i would be the same, people without kids don't understand, we cant just go out every friday night and get ****ed can we.

On contractual matters I doubt the European courts would view it any different, I know the common law courts wouldn't and would uphold the terms of the EULA, and sever any clauses that went against local legislation (though they would be fairly rare).

And to the guys talking about us complaining about maintenance. We understand maintenance. Its just that twice in five days its hit us in primetime. We just want it moved around, give everyone a share of downtime.

i'am not fused with the law. They kicked every paying customer out of the game to remove some freeloaders from the weekend trial. This makes no sense until you think about the money there saving from there isp while there is no data traffic.

Why complain? Really, possibly because there are those of us that get a very limited time to play a game we pay for, generally between 7 and 9 pm weekdays, because we say work for a living 60+ hours a week, so we want to know that the game we are paying for will be up and running during prime time, and not down twice in one week.

Bad scheduling, even wow manages to do it's patches on it's maintenance days.

Being a new game on the market I'd think they would want to keep there customers happy.

You went to the trouble of putting servers in these countries, do the maintenance at a time convienient for your customers, not yourself.

Let's see if i get this correct,

Basically you want the swtor to make the maintance that suits everybody(I am just pointing out if this is what you ment, do not take anything offensive of what i say below)

If you have so much work, and do not got time to play swtor, my suggest will be to:

Stop paying for the game, go to work, And see your time plans how much free time you have in the days to play the game! PAying for the game, and complaining about a patch, and that they use your free time(pay time)?

And in the other situation, they wont change the maintance time, because every people in the Europe, austrialia etc, have a different timezone, so basically it will be impossible to make the maintance any earlyer etc.. Even now its night in austrailia..

What is in this emergency/scheduled patch that couldnt wait til Tuesday anyway? This is regularly twice a week now in prime time which just so happen to fall on the only nights I am available to play at the moment due to Real Life committments.

It's for the free weekend pass this weekend... Kicking the paying players so others can get a free weekend...

^^ And where exactly would he take his kids at that time of night ? i have have kids and if he/she is anything like me there in bed for roughly 7.00pm-8.00pm, as a parent havin time to yaself stops ya killin yaself lol, so i understand why he/she is pissed i would be the same, people without kids don't understand, we cant just go out every friday night and get ****ed can we.

Hey, those of us without kids but who understand take offence at that :)

Yes I'm bored, and nobody had posted for like 2 minutes

Don't know, I can't find any information on it. Presumably it is something to do with the free weekend trials, but in another thread a BW rep called it an "Emergency Maintenance". If it was an emergency why was it postponed into our prime time and BW's favoured patch installation time frame.

I call BS and it was either preplanned or not enough of an emergency that the US time zone is affected.

Has it been suggested by anyone, anywhere, that if the regular maintenance and/or unscheduled downtimes of the Asia Pacific servers were made different from the US/Europe servers then customers from those regions would flock to *whatever* servers are still up so they can keep playing?

I've always thought one of the reasons for having a simultaneous downtime was to prevent any one server or cluster of servers from becoming so overloaded/hammered by people trying to get in that it crashes the infrastructure.

Keep in mind that there are only three (3) Asia-Pacific servers at the moment. If those servers were still up while the US/Europe ones were down... They are already Full or extremely Heavy at AP-primetimes, so having the US/Europe 'off-shift' and 'night-owls' population logging into those may very well clog the system.

Let's go extreme-case scenario and briefly imagine increased populations to beyond Full and always Full; bloated queue-times by people not really from that region; it might contribute towards a server population that never sleeps which would do wonders for some server economies and make the GTN-sharks happy, but yeah, just some thoughts.

No flocking:

European night time maintenance: US and AU&NZ Servers are up, night time in Europe, not that many Europeans will "flock" the US Servers.

Same goes for US and AU&NZ Players with their respective maintenance. That is why the maintenance should be done for that region in their lowest activity period - because those people (or most of them) sleep. There would be none to "flock" the servers that are up.

So what?

If you are 47 you should take your kids out and do something sosial! or how u spell it (Socials) / Fun!

Kids are in bathed, fed in bed. Wife's in front of the telly. Time for me to play some SWTOR for a bit, before bedtime. (and yes at that time more than just sleeping).

Or is that too much too ask for?

Bro i love ya but seriously...this stopped being cool like ten maybe twenty now posts ago.

take a note from imaginary icon George Kastanza and quit while you're ahead

"I'm out!"

PS: what Seattle guy said. Pac-Nor-West represent. U-District = this guy.

Don't worry, i got a warning for being disrespectful ;)

So what?

I know for some people they have work, and a hard time.. But that is not swtor's fault..

They are just making this better, and if this time dosnt work for you, i suggest you to stop play and do something else :)

There sure is a never ending supply of DB's who like to tell others how to live their lives and what exactly they should be doing with their free time.

Do you even know what this patch is tonight? It has nothing to do with "making things better".... its to fix something with the free trials. Has nothing to do with any of our game play.

there are millions of players lol only about 30 on my server before i loged off man thats big numbers

with millions of players there is never going to be a quiet time. Though several hours to patch and tweak seems like donkeys years in the 21st century. What are they doing, -using punched paper tape?