The RP servers could do with some policing

Marlon

I'm just going to pick out a couple of points, since Darth Slaine and Alyx have already addressed most of the rest.

No. Actually SelinaH hasn't written an excellent post. There is no such thing as a "so clearly defined sentence that nobody could ever attempt to find a way around" in any context. You, and Selina are asking for a definition that in many cases goes beyond what the United States legal system uses.

No one here has asked for that. I certainly did not. Please do not attach my name to a quote you've manufactured in order to straw-man those who do not agree with you.

Kharnis has shown that he can try to find any loophole possible. You are asking for a "perfect" rule that "under no circumstances could be misconstrued by an end user" which as anyone can tell you simply is not possible.

Again, *no one* here is asking for a "perfect rule." What Kharnis did was not to find "loopholes" in current policy, but to illustrate the wide range of naming conventions that exists in Star Wars canon and the consequent difficulty in crafting a policy that does not unreasonably infringe on the rights of players to have similar names. Why are certain types of names okay if Lucas or another official writer makes them up, but suddenly verboten when created by a mere player?

There doesn't need to be more of an explanation than:

"In addition to following the general TOS naming rules, all names must fit the setting of Star Wars. It is impossible to clearly define what this means, however names which appear to reference other media (IE Masterchiefhalo) or internet memes (Pewpewsmuggler) are likely not appropriate. Names will be evaluated for appropriateness on a case by case basis by the GM team. Any player who has a character name that is found in violation will have the opportunity to change that name at the time the player is notified of the issue."

That degree of broadness, and lack of definition, is unacceptable to me. I might, in theory, get behind an additional rule or two, provided 1) Such rules are sufficiently tightly worded; 2) They cover a narrow and clearly defined scope of name types that exist nowhere in canon material, such that the range of canon-compliant naming remains broader than canon-based naming rather than being identical with it; and 3) They rectify a gap in the current naming policy.

For the most part, we've been given nebulous ideas of "appropriateness" or "silliness" to try to follow. I'd be more inclined to support a specific rule prohibiting internet memes (if such names don't already fall under the umbrella of "leet" violations).

The issue with any new rule being implemented, of course, is "What do we do with those players who were in compliance before, but due to changes in the policy are now in violation?" Are they grandfathered in? Or are they punished ex post facto, for not knowing the rules in advance?

Punish the people who want an in-depth, mature, RP'ing experience by forcing them to jump through hoops. We shouldn't need an extra tool to not encounter non-setting acceptable names on the freaking RP server.

As Darth Slaine has mentioned, this is shifting the burden. It's not acceptable for *you* to be "punished," but apparently it is acceptable for others to be:

Yes. Some people would be annoyed and possibly inconvenienced by such a thing. There is no way around it. You cannot, however, make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

Because you are unwilling to use the /ignore feature, you would rather limit the choices of other players, including immersive roleplayers creating and naming characters in good faith. I find this an unacceptable solution, especially when a fix already exists for the first problem ("Other people break my immersion") but not the second ("I want to flesh out my character concept, which includes my chosen name").

Perhaps you should think of *yourself* as the egg, and realize that you are being scrambled in order to protect the right of RPers everywhere to make unorthodox characters. Thank you for your sacrifice.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Some people would be annoyed and possibly inconvenienced by such a thing. There is no way around it. You cannot, however, make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

I find it interesting that the good Professor is more than willing to "break a few eggs," so long as he not be one of those eggs.

I find it interesting that the good Professor is more than willing to "break a few eggs," so long as he not be one of those eggs.

I've had enough of my eggs broken thanks to TOR as it is already. Those of us who want a more lore-centric experience already have to put up with enough issues, inconsistencies, and breaks from canon.

I've had enough of my eggs broken thanks to TOR as it is already. Those of us who want a more lore-centric experience already have to put up with enough issues, inconsistencies, and breaks from canon.

Well others can say the same thing they have to put up with the "elitist" always complaining that their names and roleplay is not up to their standard so it can go both ways.

It is much simpler to go play with the ones that enjoy your style of roleplay and leave how someone else plays to their style. Neither one is hurting anyone, just different styles and just as you want to say you should enjoy your style so should someone else. The game is not just for a few but for anyone who wants to play.

We have to learn to be able to walk away from something that we may not like and just go and play our way.

There are things I don't like the TOR has done but I have learn to adjust and go on and just enjoy my game.

Edited by casi

Take it up with BioWare. Don't take it out on other players.

I agree that the RP servers need tighter controls. I think many of the names that I see are ridiculous, especially if I see a level 50 with a name like that. It just makes me lose a lot of faith.

I'll keep reporting them regardless. I also don't think that that warning is there.

Faith in what, the idea that your feelings are to be treated like a flag?

I agree that the RP servers need tighter controls. I think many of the names that I see are ridiculous, especially if I see a level 50 with a name like that. It just makes me lose a lot of faith.

I'll keep reporting them regardless. I also don't think that that warning is there.

Naming Policy:

Naming Policy

When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.

You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.

You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.

You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.

You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names. Guild names, however, MAY use the proper names of specific areas to help promote role-playing and realm pride, e.g. Defenders of Tython or Protectors of Hutta.

You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.

You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.

You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.

You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.

You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.

If you violate any part of the above Naming Policy you will either be assigned a new name, or given the option of changing the name. In addition to this, your account could incur a penalty up to and including account closure.

Edited by casi

Oh, do get over yourself. You have had no eggs broken by TOR, or even Karen Travis, despite her inability to tell a story properly. The lore that you put so much value in has no consistency whatsoever. That's why there's a sliding scale on what is, and what isn't, considered canon anymore. There's only one level of canon that's sacrosanct and can't be changed. That, of course, is the canon as established by Lucas himself in the movies. Oh, and guess what?

Lucas himself doesn't keep the lore he established consistent.

It's time to get off the soapbox. You are not George Lucas. You are not even Leeland Chee. You certainly aren't some crusader striking a blow for freedom or human dignity. You are no one. There will be no one who will ever say, "Can you imagine what this world would be like if Professor Walsh had pulled a McManus and stood down? Thank all the gods that he stood up. I shudder to think what we would be going through if he hadn't."

The fact that you are claiming someone with a silly name in a computer game is causing you actual, quantifiable harm is nothing short of laughable. I can't believe that you are thinking anyone would swallow that drivel. If, on the other hand, you are actually serious about your claim, then that just makes it pathetic.

It's. A. Video. Game.

A video game based on the imaginations of a man who wanted to re-create the old serials of the 1930s, so he came up with a movie of his own. A man who has already told the fans and haters out there, "It's a movie. Get over it." It's a game based on a movie where the man who invented it doesn't care about the intricacies of the Force as it relates to how a lightsabre operates with a natural crystal as opposed to a synthetic one.

He doesn't care about that. Leeland Chee doesn't care about that. Bioware doesn't care about that. The only thing anyone involved with Bioware or LucasArts or Lucasfilms cares about is how good a story they can come up with. And I'm going to let you in on a little secret (that's actually not that much of a secret to anyone who bothers to pay attention): the minute things like "is this name Star Warsy" is so far down on the list that it barely merits a thought. And if some mundane detail like "Which species was present at this moment in time" gets changed in the process, then the prevailing attitude by everyone involved will be a collective shrug and a statement of "Oh well."

I used to be worried about the fact that Bioware changed things slightly from what was established in the Tales of the Jedi comics. I wondered how a company that prided itself on storytelling could not take what happened previously into account, and what that would do to the story they were trying to tell. But, then it hit me:

It's. A. Video. Game.

What happened in the comics is irrelevant. If changing a sequence of events causes a story by Bioware to be a damn fine story, then the change was warranted. And considering the fine folks at LucasArts haven't made their objections known by kicking down the doors of Bioware to proclaim, "You Can't Do That," then they have no problems with the changes Bioware may have made to the "official lore."

And if LucasArts (you know, the people who actually own the IP) have no objections to what is happening in this game, then who the hell are you to come here and harangue those players who don't subscribe to your version of what is "official lore?" You do not have that right. The only right you have is to withhold your money from something you object so much to.

And if someone having a silly name is actually causing you harm, I strongly suggest you exercise that right.

undiluted truth

Wow, Kharnis.

Harsher maybe than I would have put it, but well said. Using lore-compliance as a standard to carry your demand for additional rules forward only works as long as the lore in question is actually consistent and compliant within itself.

The sad fact is that for the most part, in Star Wars, it is not. For most people this isn't a problem. Star Wars isn't meant to be taken very seriously. It's a fun setting with aliens and magic samurai-monks who fight each other with laser swords and lightning bolts. It can have dramatic, serious storylines that tackle real issues and complex characters that make you take a good long look at yourself and what drives you forward, but ultimately it's the setting with lightsabers and ewoks and Jar-Jar Binks.

ProfessorWalsh, with all due respect, I believe you are taking Star Wars too seriously.

Maybe if you take a step back from your podium to consider that Star Wars canon is not a sacred thing to be protected and upheld at all costs, but rather a flexible thing able to be altered slightly in the name of fun you will realise that you don't really need a new naming policy to protect you from the Pewpewsmugglers and the Marinezrules and the Darth Bunnies of the world.

You just need to choose not to see them.

Edited by Renarkis

Maybe if you take a step back from your podium to consider that Star Wars canon is not a sacred thing to be protected and upheld at all costs, but rather a flexible thing able to be altered slightly in the name of fun you will realise that you don't really need a new naming policy to protect you from the Pewpewsmugglers and the Marinezrules and the Darth Bunnies of the world.

No. Star Wars canon is not a flexible thing. There is a reason why Lucas Arts has one guy, Leland Chee, who's entire purpose in life, where he draws a six figure salary, is to keep canon coherent and stop any canon conflicts.

Star Wars canon is supposed to be taken seriously.

There are just a lot of people who can't be bothered to put in the work to make characters fit in the lore and they happen to be in the majority and BioWare is pandering to them. It is a sad, but real, truth.

The problem is I don't feel I can blame BioWare for it, because BioWare is doing it because it fiscally makes sense. I do feel that it is unfair that people who have no intention of RP'ing are clogging the RP servers up though and making it hard for us who do want to RP to do so in a coherent lore-compliant universe.

Edited by ProfessorWalsh

No. Star Wars canon is not a flexible thing. There is a reason why Lucas Arts has one guy, Leland Chee, who's entire purpose in life, where he draws a six figure salary, is to keep canon coherent and stop any canon conflicts.

There are just a lot of people who can't be bothered to put in the work to make characters fit in the lore and they happen to be in the majority and BioWare is pandering to them. It is a sad, but real, truth.

I do actually feel bad for you. Star Wars is not real. You cannot protect it. You will never be a writer of canon and those that write it will never be interested in your opinion on it.

Reading, playing and watching Star Wars is a passing entertainment -- it is not a life's calling.

In truth, you have hitched your fortune to the most fickle of mistresses.

Players, however, do not draw a six-figure salary for doing the hours upon hours of research necessary to make sure they know every detail of the Star Wars universe or develop the confidence to judge the proper resolution of multiple-canon discrepancies in the lore.

I'm sure that if such financial incentives were offered, more players would be on board.

There are just a lot of people who can't be bothered to put in the work to make characters fit in the lore

I must have missed the part where BioWare said that this is a *job* - it's actually advertised as a *game*. If I want to work, I'll find something that actually pays me.

*Disclaimer: I actually *have* spent precious hours of my life in the name of lore research. But I do it when it's fun for me, not because I feel obligated to "the canon" in any way because it (having become bloated and acquired some form of rudimentary sentience) might become offended at my failure to take it seriously enough and thus, punish me for my ignorance.

Not flexible, huh? I thought you were the one who knew all the trivia?

Like how Darth Vader originally was a first and last name, that Darth was NOT a title.

Like how Darth Vader was NOT Luke's father.

Like how in the notes of the script Darth literally was to have killed Luke's father, (see previous).

Like how Luke and Leia were NOT siblings.

Like how Star Wars wasn't "A New Hope" when it was originally released into the theaters.

Nope, not flexible at all.

~ Cerilynn

Somebody should tell George that it's not flexible. He turns it upside down and inside out with every iteration.

I'm glad he's being paid that well because it seems to me that he really has his work cut out for him.

There are just a lot of people who can't be bothered to put in the work...

This is my issue, right here. People have jobs and get paid to work. Most people play games in order to have fun. The difference between writing a Star Wars movie or novel and roleplaying a character in a game is that the writers are expecting people to pay for the privilege of reading their novel or watching their movie, whereas in the game the reverse is true. The players are paying for the privilege of RPing in that world.

The problem is I don't feel I can blame BioWare for it, because BioWare is doing it because it fiscally makes sense. I do feel that it is unfair that people who have no intention of RP'ing are clogging the RP servers up though and making it hard for us who do want to RP to do so in a coherent lore-compliant universe.

This just seems ridiculous. Clogging the RP servers up? What servers are you playing on that they're so full of non-RPers that it's actively hindering you? Are you talking about griefers here? Because I feel like I should point out that griefing is already against the rules. If you mean people who are just trying to play and enjoy the game with their friends, I think you're taking too much too personally.

You keep talking about "us" in your posts, as if there is a movement of oppressed RPers who are being smashed down underfoot by the non-RPers infecting the servers and you are their champion refusing to stand for it any longer. This would be a noble ideal.

Except the problem that you're championing does not exist, or at least does not exist in the extremes that you're suggesting.

I am posting in this thread and many others have posted (some far more eloquently than me, and many of them making very good points which you choose to ignore completely rather than address) to say that we don't see a problem with the way things are, but that we DO see a host of potential problems with your proposed rules.

EDIT: I feel like I should add this to the end of my post, since it applies to me as well:

*Disclaimer: I actually *have* spent precious hours of my life in the name of lore research. But I do it when it's fun for me, not because I feel obligated to "the canon" in any way because it (having become bloated and acquired some form of rudimentary sentience) might become offended at my failure to take it seriously enough and thus, punish me for my ignorance.
Edited by Renarkis

I do feel that it is unfair that people who have no intention of RP'ing are clogging the RP servers up though and making it hard for us who do want to RP to do so in a coherent lore-compliant universe.

Roleplay servers are not servers where roleplay is mandatory, you know.

The person in charge of Star Wars lore is PAID to do that for a job, that is what he gets paid to do. A person playing this game is not being paid, they are having fun and there is the difference. People style of roleplay and the way they want to roleplay is entirely up to them, not you nor anyone else. You don't have to roleplay with them but you can't tell them what to do in their game and with their friends. You are not in charge.

Star Wars is not expected to be taken seriously. As I have stated before it is fiction not real and therefore should not be taken serious.

The only thing you should take serious is real life. A game should never be taken seriously.

The truth is some people agree on some parts of lore and some parts they don't.

I have yet to see anyone on Lord Adraas that doesn't roleplay or is doing roleplay different than I and my guild/friends do that make it difficult for us. We have no trouble with that so the only one I see that is having the trouble is you. If you are havin trouble with your roleplay because you are to busy paying attention to someone else's roleplay maybe you should just pay attention to yours and leave the other people to their style. It has nothing to do with you.

You seem to want everyone to roleplay your way or it's wrong, well it's not. It their way of doing it and you have two choices either learn to adjust to people playing differnet than you or keep complaining over silly/simple things that really have no bearing on you.

Edited by casi

“Well, it’s not a religious event. I hate to tell people that. It’s a movie, just a movie.”

- George Lucas

Has anyone stopped to think that all the lore of the movies is three thousand years in the future?

As in, fates and foretellings have a habit of going way off track in that span of time.

So, no, I don't see lore as a Big Deal. Important events? yes. But the nitpicky little details won't survive more than a decade, much less so many generations.

"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."

Not flexible, huh? I thought you were the one who knew all the trivia?

Trivia and lore aren't the same thing.

Like how Darth Vader originally was a first and last name, that Darth was NOT a title.

Like how Darth Vader was NOT Luke's father.

Yes, those were original ideas, they never were lore however. They never made the transition from an idea to lore.

Like how in the notes of the script Darth literally was to have killed Luke's father, (see previous).

See above.

Like how Luke and Leia were NOT siblings.

See above.

Like how Star Wars wasn't "A New Hope" when it was originally released into the theaters.

The names of the movies aren't really part of lore.

Nope, not flexible at all.

~ Cerilynn

Nope, they really aren't.

~Prof

Just like how Troy Denning planning to resurrect Anakin Solo at the end of LotF wasn't lore, but it was an idea. You can't count ideas that never made it to the table as lore. That is a poor attempt at showing a flexible canon.

Are there canonical inconsistencies? Sure.

Is there a guy who's job it is to fix those and smooth them out? Yes.

The idea that the canon wasn't supposed to be taken seriously gets shot in the foot the second we bring up the fact that canon and lore are serious enough issues at Lucas Arts to have a guy who's sole purpose is to handle it. If it was never to be taken seriously in Star Wars products (and yes, TOR is a Star Wars product) then they would not have that position, yet they do.

The idea that the canon wasn't supposed to be taken seriously gets shot in the foot the second we bring up the fact that canon and lore are serious enough issues at Lucas Arts to have a guy who's sole purpose is to handle it. If it was never to be taken seriously in Star Wars products (and yes, TOR is a Star Wars product) then they would not have that position, yet they do.

The idea that the canon *must* be taken seriously by any and all players on SW:TOR RP servers gets shot in the foot the second we bring up the fact that canon and lore are not serious enough issues at BioWare to have a guy administer a four-hour entrance exam to determine acceptable candidates, or even to make RP on the servers mandatory in ANY WAY.

If it were to be taken seriously in Star Wars products (and yes, TOR is a Star Wars product,) then they would not have that position, yet they do.

Also, Jar-Jar Binks would not exist, and Greedo would never, *ever* have shot first.

Oddly, the need for such an individual also implies that the lore isn't necessarily held as utterly sacrosanct as Walsh wishes us to believe since those who create or affect it are able to drastically change to such a degree that magical handwaves are needed at all.

Indeed, if the lore was fixed and impermeable as you as claiming, it wouldn't change at all. Ever. And yet, it does. With only the vaguest of justifications to placate those who treat each change and alteration as utterly damning.

Edited by AlyxDinas

Oddly, the need for such an individual also implies that the lore isn't necessarily held as utterly sacrosanct as Walsh wishes us to believe since those who create or affect it are able to drastically change to such a degree that magical handwaves are needed at all.

Indeed, if the lore was fixed and impermeable as you as claiming, it wouldn't change at all. Ever. And yet, it does. With only the vaguest of justifications to placate those who treat each change and alteration as utterly damning.

Clearly this is true if canon's most ardent non-professional defender feels that:

How can we have no breaks in canon because it is taken seriously by everyone involved while, at the same time, we are told the very game we are playing is violating canon too often?

Though, I suspect some of these "lore violations" relate to the fact that in SWTOR a bounty hunter can beat a Jedi -- which I would say is more a question of lore interpretation than an issue of lore fact.

At any rate, we play within the lore of the game. If the game says one thing is true and the good Walsh says it is false, then Walsh is wrong...

Because, as he so rightly pointed out, there are people paid to make sure these things are right. If the professionals say it is true, why should I care what a non-professional enthusiast says? The fan, not the game, is in violation of canon -- and on the "Super hardcore RP server" that was described, the fan would be reportable.

Edited by Darth_Slaine

At any rate, we play within the lore of the game. If the game says one thing is true and the good Walsh says it is false, then Walsh is wrong...

Because, as he so rightly pointed out, there are people paid to make sure these things are right. If the professionals say it is true, why should I care what a non-professional enthusiast says? The fan, not the game, is in violation of canon -- and on the "Super hardcore RP server" that was described, the fan would be reportable.

Save for, unfortunately, the good Chee at Lucas Arts is often very slow at dealing with problems. Usually it takes about 6 months to a year before he lays down the canon hammer. So time will tell as to who and what is in violation. BioWare may well be found at fault more than once, I am pretty sure I know at least two places that they will be.

Heck we already know one place they were found at fault, which is why they had to reiterate that Gnost Dural is working from incomplete and incorrect information in a few of his timeline entries.

Edited by ProfessorWalsh