p2p vs f2p

Sarfux

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you play this game if it wasn't pay to play and it was free to play with a cash shop with microtransactions?

Yes and no... YES, because it is free... NO because the game lost its appeal for me, I've not logged in for weeks and I'm on my last few days of free time...

Let's compare two sandwiches:

For 15 bucks, I get a french roll with sesame seeds sliced in half. Each half is slathered with rich brown mustard. On the bottom half gets stacked 5 slices of aged Swiss cheese, crispy romaine lettuce, sliced vine ripened tomatoes, Vidalia onions, prosciutto, salami and smoked ham. This sandwich is served with a pickle slice and chips on the side...

Now, if I don't want the pickle and the chips, or if I don't like tomatoes, I can get the sandwich without them but I'm still paying 15 bucks for it.

Sandwich number two costs me nothing...initially...but all I get is a dry piece of Spam between two slabs of sliced white bread. If I want some Rye, it's gonna cost me 5 bucks. Plain old yellow mustard is a buck, but rich brown is 5 bucks. Cheese? A few pieces of cellophane wrapped American cheese will cost a buck, but good Swiss or Sharp Cheddar will set you back 5 bucks. Replace the Spam with a pile of pastrami for another 5 bucks. 3 bucks will get you some kraut...

If you just want Spam on plain white bread, it's yours for the taking but if you want to actually enjoy eating your sandwich you'll have to shell out some cash. And trust me, if you see someone walking by with an epic sandwich while you just have your Spam...you'll spend the money.

I'd rather pay a set price for a great sandwich, even if I might not eat all of it, than get nickle and dimed building said sandwich from scratch.

And there was me thinking that the British economy was expensive, that's 1 expensive sandwich. But then again, you don't have Greggs :p:D

Edited by DiabloDoom

I find it funny how people believe that if a game is p2p it will be of high quality.

Let's see what quality games we have that are p2p (not intending to say the real titles, but you will get the idea):

"Fanatsy game with orcs, undead and tauren"

"Space game which carries the name of a mythological woman Online"

"The other name of Earth - Online"

"Game where *cough* rifts *cough* between worlds exist"

"The ... Hidden World" - upcoming

"The Ancient Pieces of Parchment Online" - upcoming

and of course SWTOR

Now please tell me how much quality is there to have in these games. How much innovation is there?

Sure, save for 2-3 titles at most, but the p2p market is not that high quality as people believe. Not to mention that many of those games already have/will have some sort of in-game cash shop.

So please tell me the advantages, because honestly I do not see any.

However, in my opinion, no mmo currently on the market deserves a 15$ per month payment (on top of the 60$ purchase).

PS: And I would like to know where the pay to win in STO is. Unless you count ships that have one extra console, or different uniforms as pay to win. Oh, it's the lockboxes right? Well, newsflash, there is no significant advantage in those, only fluff. And you aren't forced to pay for them.

Edited by cyberfreaq

• 3 weeks later...
Let's compare two sandwiches:

For 15 bucks, I get a french roll with sesame seeds sliced in half. Each half is slathered with rich brown mustard. On the bottom half gets stacked 5 slices of aged Swiss cheese, crispy romaine lettuce, sliced vine ripened tomatoes, Vidalia onions, prosciutto, salami and smoked ham. This sandwich is served with a pickle slice and chips on the side...

Now, if I don't want the pickle and the chips, or if I don't like tomatoes, I can get the sandwich without them but I'm still paying 15 bucks for it.

Sandwich number two costs me nothing...initially...but all I get is a dry piece of Spam between two slabs of sliced white bread. If I want some Rye, it's gonna cost me 5 bucks. Plain old yellow mustard is a buck, but rich brown is 5 bucks. Cheese? A few pieces of cellophane wrapped American cheese will cost a buck, but good Swiss or Sharp Cheddar will set you back 5 bucks. Replace the Spam with a pile of pastrami for another 5 bucks. 3 bucks will get you some kraut...

If you just want Spam on plain white bread, it's yours for the taking but if you want to actually enjoy eating your sandwich you'll have to shell out some cash. And trust me, if you see someone walking by with an epic sandwich while you just have your Spam...you'll spend the money.

I'd rather pay a set price for a great sandwich, even if I might not eat all of it, than get nickle and dimed building said sandwich from scratch.

This is all that needs be said, if you have played an "free" to play game. I dont really see how you can argue.

Johny hits you with credit card for 5$ damage.

You hit Johny with credit card for 10$ damage.

Billy aoes you and johny with credit card for 50$ damage.

Johny and you are no more.

There is no such thing as F2P and i will never play P2W game no matter how good it may seem.

PLEASE NO i hate f2p.... yes it's true that was playing only f2p until now... but now i know that f2p are the worst games ever!!! so many stupid people... most content i had to buy to get there ( dungeons,events etc. ) and with this game i am satisfied as i never was and i think 65 euros for half year is not that much

• 2 weeks later...

No

i believe F2P kills the game experience,look at WoW (even though blizzard messed it up itself)it's P2P and look at how long it has lasted i paid for over five years,bought STO when it came out maxed lvl'd in a 162 days got bored and cancelled my sub, it went F2P started playing again did all the new content took about a month (never bought anything from the c-store) haven't touched it since.

it's my opinion that if Bw lets TOR go F2P then they are signing TOR's death warrant ,add new better content advertise and support your sub's better and they will support BW.

if TOR goes F2P then i will cancel my sub and return to offline games.

F2P is a bad way to describe things.

I like the LOTRO model. I subscribe, but I have guild (kinship) members who can rejoin us at any time, without a subscription. They may not be able to access some zones without buying them, but they can interact, otherwise stay connected.

The MT system is cool. Doesn't rate as P2W, lots of neat fluff. Not in-your-face.

If the LOTRO model came to this game, I'd dance for joy and blow wads of cash....like I do in LOTRO.