Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

SWTOR gets a nice mention in Forbes Magazine

Varnoc

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the data he used are old old old. And when swtor reported its recent sub stats, it included people on their "free month" and people on their "60 day time card", and they do not give trends, Wow population rises and falls with their updates, the MMO hoppers simply came to swtor, and soon to Tera, then Diablo 3, then guild wars 2

the data he used are old old old. And when swtor reported its recent sub stats, it included people on their "free month" and people on their "60 day time card", and they do not give trends, Wow population rises and falls with their updates, the MMO hoppers simply came to swtor, and soon to Tera, then Diablo 3, then guild wars 2

You are completely wrong, the numbers are not old and most are out of their free month.

A link has been provided to prove you wrong.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/09/star-wars-the-old-republic-subscription-numbers-stabilize-at-1/5

It's simple, they had too much servers at launch. Sure there is 1.7m subscribers, but they launched with as much servers close to the amount of servers WoW has, and WoW has 10m subs. They where overconfident, but I have no doubt that there is 1.7m subs.

It´s always funny to read about about millions of happy players, when there are 11 people on my instanced planet.

Did they also count the NPCs or what?

What time of day are you playing? For example, if you play in the middle of the day on another game with over 10 million subs you will find no one in your zone either.

It could also be your server, every mmo has light servers even during peak hours.

Your comment could be referring to any mmo, depending upon the circumstances.

Didn't read yet, just wanted to say

INB4 paid off

I suggest reading the article. It isn't that long.

Edit: Sorry, I posted this reply before you made your edit.

Edited by Varnoc

Everyone on my server seems very happy and we still get queues sometimes on the weekends; my friend who lives in the UK tells me the same thing. It amazes me how some people who are bound and determined to hate the game yet still fork over $15.00 a month refuses to accept that yeah the vast majority of people are happy.

It´s always funny to read about about millions of happy players, when there are 11 people on my instanced planet.

I have also seen those observations, and many more similar ones. My personal experience from a Standard level server is also that most levelling planets have around 10-15 people online. Let's take that 11 to start with.

So.. there are 17 planet zones, all used for questing which could have, on average, that amount of people.

Then there are, at any time, on average, around 100 people on fleet.

Then there are, at any time, on average, about 10 people on their ship

Then there are, at any time, on average about 2 or 3 warzones going on, 8 players each.

Then there are, at any time, on average let's say 10 flashpoint groups going on (a low guess, but hey.. i dont want to be too biased).

And then there are two sides.

So that means, my standard, average server will have about:

( (11 x 17) + 100 + 10 + (3x8) + (10x4) ) x2 = 722 players online on my average server. The population feels low but is very much spread out.

Then there are (quick count) around 220 servers that could have the same averages.. leading to a number of (on average from my own observations) 158.840 people online on average at any one time.

Seeing how active players play on average 4 hours a day as said by BW themselves. That means I need to multiply that by 6 to get amount of active players. This leads me to around 950.000 active players playing that game.

So.. I guess.. running around one of the 17 levelling areas with 11 other people on your own faction around you means there are almost a million people playing this game.

I realise my numbers aren't definite.. and I realise the game feels empty. But bringing it up to actual scale shows that 11 per Hoth per server per side means a healthy population in general.

Fastest growing MMO in the history of MMO's. The server I play on has 100+ during the day and usually 200+ on fleet in the evening. Average planet population is roughly 65+ for lower levels and 25+ for levels over 35.

Game is rocking in my opinion.

I play on Black Vulkars.

Fastest growing MMO in the history of MMO's. The server I play on has 100+ during the day and usually 200+ on fleet in the evening. Average planet population is roughly 65+ for lower levels and 25+ for levels over 35.

I play on Black Vulkars.

I am sure we are going to have posters come in and claim the exact opposite of your post.

I play on a standard population server, Juyo.

During the day the fleet has anywhere between 55-85 players, during peak 145-185.

I have no problems forming groups for flashpoints or getting a quick que for pvp during peak. For some reason the balance between Republic and Imperial seems to be pretty good on my server.

I have also seen those observations, and many more similar ones. My personal experience from a Standard level server is also that most levelling planets have around 10-15 people online. Let's take that 11 to start with.

So.. there are 17 planet zones, all used for questing which could have, on average, that amount of people.

Then there are, at any time, on average, around 100 people on fleet.

Then there are, at any time, on average, about 10 people on their ship

Then there are, at any time, on average about 2 or 3 warzones going on, 8 players each.

Then there are, at any time, on average let's say 10 flashpoint groups going on (a low guess, but hey.. i dont want to be too biased).

And then there are two sides.

So that means, my standard, average server will have about:

( (11 x 17) + 100 + 10 + (3x8) + (10x4) ) x2 = 722 players online on my average server. The population feels low but is very much spread out.

Then there are (quick count) around 220 servers that could have the same averages.. leading to a number of (on average from my own observations) 158.840 people online on average at any one time.

Seeing how active players play on average 4 hours a day as said by BW themselves. That means I need to multiply that by 6 to get amount of active players. This leads me to around 950.000 active players playing that game.

So.. I guess.. running around one of the 17 levelling areas with 11 other people on your own faction around you means there are almost a million people playing this game.

I realise my numbers aren't definite.. and I realise the game feels empty. But bringing it up to actual scale shows that 11 per Hoth per server per side means a healthy population in general.

Interesting calculation, sounds reasonable. But the numbers behind don´t help the feeling of lonesome planets, even most of the time during the story it´s like a single player offline RPG.

If that perception was desired, BW succeeded.

Interesting calculation, sounds reasonable. But the numbers behind don´t help the feeling of lonesome planets, even most of the time during the story it´s like a single player offline RPG.

The game is exactly what BW said it would be during development. The game is not SWG2 and was never meant to be.

Because you are dragging down the happiness all the people left your sever for a happier one

Yeah, because having to run around and kill boars with 15 other people was fun. I don't mind people not being around while I quest, since it's generally an individual experience. Don't always get groups for Heroics, but most of the time I can, so I don't see how SWTOR is any worse than any other MMO I've played.

I play on Black Vulkars.

fan boy in your dreams... you must be on the most populated server ever... i've seen 2-6 people in some zones and i'm only lvl 31. and my server USED to get heavy havn't seen it past standard in some time now.

Yeah, because having to run around and kill boars with 15 other people was fun. I don't mind people not being around while I quest, since it's generally an individual experience. Don't always get groups for Heroics, but most of the time I can, so I don't see how SWTOR is any worse than any other MMO I've played.

^

This

Last weekend there were 19 people on Voss on my Standard server and I got to do a Heroic there. Seems to me that overall numbers on my server are have increased a bit, instead of 35-60 people on the Imperial Fleet at prime time we are getting 50-70.

As of right now, almost all European servers are at Standard population. I assume that they do not have low population problems.

It is really strange if the majority of SW:TOR's loyal customers are from outside the US.

Not really. SW is a global phenomenon and NA has more servers than Europe even when it's population is smaller.

Edited by Rouge

I play on Black Vulkars.

You play Imp on Black Vulkars. haha lets just say republic on Black Vulkars is quite a bit....different....

Not really. SW is a global phenomenon and NA has more servers than Europe even when it's population is smaller.

The majority of those 90+ European servers are currently standard, whereas there are only 10 US servers that are standard. It's probably not prime time yet, so I don't know how good the numbers are.

Think of this: If you will play a Jedi or a Sith, now you will never get to take your apprentice to fight with you in flashpoints, warzones or raids. You will never face together any of the big end-game bosses.

I feel a bit gutted now, because I am starting to see Kira as my padawan.

I hope in future there will be more quality content in future that makes use of your companions.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.