Are Sith supposed to have love/lovers?

The New Jedi Order founded by Luke Skywalker allowed Jedi to marry, he did so too with his lover, former emperor's hand Mara Jade.

That's because Luke saw how the Jedi Order was before and decided to say "Screw that noise!" when it came to relationships. He had the common sense to realize how utterly galactically stupid it would be to force people into that kind of lifestyle, and how unhealthy it would be to ban relationships.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well there is a difference between sex and love, I can see no long term relationships.

n

For a good movie on family and bad people , watch the Usual Suspects.(sp) and Keyser Söze

Sorry mate, had to fix that for you =D Great movie btw.

But I'd have to agree with the whole double-edged sword analogy for Sith and love. Passion, lust and sex more than likely but "romantic" love it could be less common among them given that they seem more pragmatic than others.

They are allowed to have love.

But I think it's discouraged.

LOL... you are clearly a Republic Carebear

Love ---> Source for Passion

Love ---> Source for weakness

so you harness the only useful part of love

LUST

spread it

enuff said.

Sith have a history of exploiting love to gain power

In The Old Republic time, the Sith don't seem to inhibit romantic love at all. Many Sith are married and have children. The Sith Warrior starting zone, you meet your instructor's daughter.

In the time of the Star Wars Movies, Palpitine uses Anakin's love for his wife to turn him to the dark side.

There was a later EU comic or book, I can't remember the name of it but maybe someone else can, where a young Sith girl has a romantic interest in a young Jedi and her father encourages her to pursue it in an attempt to turn him to the dark side.

I thought the whole idea behind the Sith is that they do whatever they want. The only thing stopping them is others who are more powerful than they. So if a Sith wants to love, then they certainly can by all means - but it's an easily manipulated tool by their enemies and it may result in the Sith being weaker, so many probably avoid it. But as far as there being an outright rule against it, like the Jedi? No. It's more of an unspoken guideline if anything.

If a Sith loves someone and they're strong enough to withstand their enemies even with that "weakness" then by all means go ahead. Ultimately for the Sith strength is what determines right to rule, whether by sheer power or strength through guile and cunning. The rest will sort itself out.

Well Sith do have kids as evidenced by Overseer Tremmel, Darth Jadus, the guy guarding the Dark Council chambers on Korriban ect. Whether they were in love per say is another matter but they do have kids and feel no problems raising them Sith. Not sure if anyone else on the Dark Council had kids because it is not mentioned but I would love to see a kid of Darth Vowrawn.

Malgus became much more powerful after he killed his lover, which pretty much poops all over your argument.

Actually, he had a huge change of heart after he killed her. He's trying to atone for his past sins with his new alien friendly Empire. I hope he returns, and I hope we get the chance to join him. My Chiss Sniper would join Malgus in a heartbeat, as would my Pureblood Juggernaut... and my Cyborg Mercenary. :D

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

Through passion, I gain strength.

Through strength, I gain power.

Through power, I gain victory.

Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Force shall free me.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

Through passion, I gain strength.

Through strength, I gain power.

Through power, I gain victory.

Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Force shall free me.

Or Darth Baras's version:

The cake is a lie, there is only pie.

Through pie, I gain calories.

Through calories, I gain fat.

Through fat, my belt is broken.

The Recliner shall free me.

Well Sith do have kids as evidenced by Overseer Tremmel, Darth Jadus, the guy guarding the Dark Council chambers on Korriban ect. Whether they were in love per say is another matter but they do have kids and feel no problems raising them Sith. Not sure if anyone else on the Dark Council had kids because it is not mentioned but I would love to see a kid of Darth Vowrawn.

Of course not! They multiply by dividing!

I think normally Sith marry for power instead of love. That's were the children come from. Lady Grathan is a very good example for that. Of course, there are Sith who do otherwise, but it doesn't help in the powergame.

And for passion/lust they can have slaves and one night stands. What we know as love could be uncommon or frowned upon.

(There were times on earth when it was similar. A roman poet for example thought that the feeling of love ruins the pleasure of sex.)

Edited by Maaruin

it's all up to the individual sith, I guess some are cold & detached and feel rather ambivalent about other beings..[no love/affection]..While others are raging torrent's of passion/lust..so..there's many answers..

The New Jedi Order founded by Luke Skywalker allowed Jedi to marry, he did so too with his lover, former emperor's hand Mara Jade.

His Jedi Order is the closest thing to a perfect order. He saw that both the Jedi and Sith codes are flawed and managed to combine all the good aspects of it for his new Jedi Order.

As to OP. The Sith are allowed to love and I don't think it's discouraged as long as you're still willing to do anything it takes. Jedi however forbids love because when one places another human above any other human, you have problems. (similar to why you can't romance a co-worker).

I recently ran into a argument with people on general chat about if Sith are technically allowed to have lovers or love. My reasoning was no because in my opinion Love = Attachment = Weakness = Exploitation or Loss of Power. I know the Jedi order has rules against love or lovers. I am not claiming that Sith being in love doesn't happen because obviously there are some cases. But rather I would like to have a discussion on whether they are technically allows to as Sith. Opinions, Comments, etc. are apericated. :)

Love is a form of passion. Sith draw strength from passion, therefore love is a form of strength.

Is it a viable form of strength? Not in comparison to hatred, vengeance, and rage. These passions are more closely connected with the darkside and more accessibly passions.

Yes, love is allowed but its weak. And it also has the potential to become a damaging conflict,

SPOILER

malgus had to kill his love, because he recognized that it was a dangerous attachment

/SPOILER

I'd advocate "physical passionate love" over, idk, "emotional love." Less attachment, but still fuels your passions, and therefore gives you strength.

I thought the whole idea behind the Sith is that they do whatever they want. The only thing stopping them is others who are more powerful than they. So if a Sith wants to love, then they certainly can by all means - but it's an easily manipulated tool by their enemies and it may result in the Sith being weaker, so many probably avoid it. But as far as there being an outright rule against it, like the Jedi? No. It's more of an unspoken guideline if anything.

If a Sith loves someone and they're strong enough to withstand their enemies even with that "weakness" then by all means go ahead. Ultimately for the Sith strength is what determines right to rule, whether by sheer power or strength through guile and cunning. The rest will sort itself out.

Nope, random hedonism is more characteristic of dark jedi, not sith.

Actually, he had a huge change of heart after he killed her. He's trying to atone for his past sins with his new alien friendly Empire. I hope he returns, and I hope we get the chance to join him. My Chiss Sniper would join Malgus in a heartbeat, as would my Pureblood Juggernaut... and my Cyborg Mercenary. :D

Malgus is such an interesting case. Love is more powerful in death, and Malgus was able to use the death of his lover to fuel his passions with out running the risk of attachment.

IDEALLY, a sith should kill his lover and then convert sorrow into rage.

it's a double edged sword for the Sith in general, it provides more emotions and empowers you to fight with more intensity for their protection or whatever. However, it also provides an enemy a way of getting to you and exploiting you.

Motto: Find a lover, then kill them to stop the exploitation, then fight for them and blame your enemies for having to kill your lover because they would do dirty underhand tactics like that to win.

This is essentially what Malgus did

I think Sith generally would view having a lover to be a weakness, particularly one they actually have feelings for. They probably would consider offspring to an asset if the child is force sensitive. While the child is a vulnerability early in the child's life, the child is a continuation of their bloodline, so the child is a risk that stands to be a benefit for them when the child grows up.

I think the reason Sith keep slaves is a part of their beliefs that non-force sensitives are somehow beneath them, that they are property that they can do whatever they feel like to their slaves.

I don't think Sith were encouraged to develop feelings for a slave, because they aren't a force sensitive and feelings for one is a potential liability.

Edited by GarfieldJL

The Star Wars EU have shown us that cloning force sensitives is tricky at best. So having kids is the by far the best way to make more sith. In fact, when the Empire finds a strong female sith and a strong male sith, they probably encourage them to tie the knot and have as many powerful sith babies as they can.

The Star Wars EU have shown us that cloning force sensitives is tricky at best. So having kids is the by far the best way to make more sith. In fact, when the Empire finds a strong female sith and a strong male sith, they probably encourage them to tie the knot and have as many powerful sith babies as they can.

Isn't love such a wonderful thing?

Hey everyone!

We just want to say thank you for your constructive replies to this interesting discussion! As a friendly reminder, please just keep the discussion on-topic to the Star Wars Universe and still within our Rules of Conduct regarding any inappropriate content. We appreciate everyone that has been doing so and we look forward to seeing this discussion continue!

Thank you! :)