Stop disrespecting rp servers!!! (RP thread only)

MNTZGCRO

The only difference in there, is that there is no /ignore option in real life, much to my chagrin. It's easier to ignore someone jumping around with their pixels around my pixels, than someone jumping around me in real life. Plus, I cannot punch the person in the face in the game, but I can in real life.

That's why I think the ignore feature should not only mute text, but make the person invisible and non-interactive from the point of view of the person putting them on ignore. Out of sight, out of mind.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I think the ignore feature should not only mute text, but make the person invisible and non-interactive from the point of view of the person putting them on ignore. Out of sight, out of mind.

It's good in theory but it has ramifications outside of communication that make that option unappealing, design wise.

It's good in theory but it has ramifications outside of communication that make that option unappealing, design wise.

Disable the invisibility function of it in PVP and I can't think of any other ramifications to worry about. You have other potential problems to consider?

Disable the invisibility function of it in PVP and I can't think of any other ramifications to worry about. You have other potential problems to consider?

I was thinking less PvP and more along the lines that programming in the ability to literally turn another play invisible is intense in a general sense. It's not exactly a simple toggle and it's pretty big variable to track serverside. There's differences between how something like this functions compared to traditional stealth.

Potentially, it could be done, but when you get down to it, the normal /ignore function should be more than sufficient for anyone's need. If the mere sight of a name causes fits of aploplexy...well..

Edited by AlyxDinas

Ah, I misunderstood your original post. :)

Yes, the reason the guys gave you for not thinking the name fitted an rp server was pretty moronic.

Yeah. I had some folks on WoW bust my butt for a character named "Parzival" because it's not "lore." But "noobkiller" was OK.

You didn't have an Ashbringer on Moon Guard, did you?

No, I never had an Ashbringer; I was on MG for a while but moved to Wyrmrest Accord. There was somebody else with a VERY similar name who was apparently a real b*tt-munch, though; I got heat once in a while until somebody discovered I wasn't this other guy.

No, I never had an Ashbringer; I was on MG for a while but moved to Wyrmrest Accord. There was somebody else with a VERY similar name who was apparently a real b*tt-munch, though; I got heat once in a while until somebody discovered I wasn't this other guy.

I prefer the way you spell it anyway.

:mad::mad:

Why some people just come on rp servers not knowing wth they are (the servers) , i saw soooo many disrrespectful names such as: rawrr, jafa cake, smugglinsmarties and names from the actual game or sw saga such as Revan, Reevan, Veder, Nihilus, starkiller <----- seriously starkiller?

While i saw names like: feather, painbringer etc, those names can somehow be justified if those people have a rp story of their own.

Yea u payed for the game an u deserve playing privleges but some respect has to be maintanined.

My question is: do these ppl go to rp servers thinking its easy mode? Thinking they are cool with those names? (ur only cool for urself if ur on a rp server with such dum name).

Learn ur shiz what a rp server is b4 creating a toon with that name alt or main doesnt matter.

P.S im not saying everybody should Roleplay just sayin that if u gonna come to a rp server, show some respect for rp-ers.

well if Micheal Jackson can name his kid "blanket" than I can see someone RPing with a ****ed up name like pinksaber. Edited by Asturias

well if Micheal Jackson can name his kid "blanket" than I can see someone RPing with a ****ed up name like pinksaber.

Michael Jackson could only have existed in reality, he's too ridiculous to have been made up, therefore couldn't exist in the Star Wars universe. ;)

Sooorry mr grammar man sorry.

LOL Welcome to the RP community of prima donnas.

The RP community is ostensibly a community of adults, that is generally what you will find on RP servers and in RP groups. You'll find younger people too, but for the most part we're adults, and we type like adults.

A part of role-playing is having good grammar and spelling so people understand what the hell you're trying to role-play. Otherwise, you're going to be ignored.

There really is no soft way to put that. Role-play means being mature, and that means proper keyboarding.

Edited by TheGreatNeechi

The RP community is ostensibly a community of adults, that is generally what you will find on RP servers and in RP groups. You'll find younger people too, but for the most part we're adults, and we type like adults.

A part of role-playing is having good grammar and spelling so people understand what the hell you're trying to role-play. Otherwise, you're going to be ignored.

There really is no soft way to put that. Role-play means being mature, and that means proper keyboarding.

And if there is an issue (bad keyboards, english not being your first language, etc.) then tell them OOC beforehand so they can be prepared to have to translate keyboarding.

I'm confused, why do I need good grammar when I roleplay? I don't use good grammar when I talk to people most of the time. I once even got bored and decided to roleplay a moron. You may get annoyed when you see things like "Me like cookie. Cookie is me friend," but hey I'll freely admit that I have said that exact thing to people in regular conversation because it amuses me. True I have seen people online who I have actually had to ask others to translate what they say, but when it comes to the little stuff please for the love of god don't constantly try to correct me. If you do I'm just going to do exactly what I do in real life, tell you to piss off and purposely use poor grammar just to annoy you. Roleplaying is not scripted so don't treat it as such. Unless things get out of hand just relax and enjoy yourself rather than worrying about every little typo. That being said cookie talk make fat kid hungry, fat kid go find cookie.

I'm confused, why do I need good grammar when I roleplay? I don't use good grammar when I talk to people most of the time. I once even got bored and decided to roleplay a moron. You may get annoyed when you see things like "Me like cookie. Cookie is me friend," but hey I'll freely admit that I have said that exact thing to people in regular conversation because it amuses me. True I have seen people online who I have actually had to ask others to translate what they say, but when it comes to the little stuff please for the love of god don't constantly try to correct me. If you do I'm just going to do exactly what I do in real life, tell you to piss off and purposely use poor grammar just to annoy you. Roleplaying is not scripted so don't treat it as such. Unless things get out of hand just relax and enjoy yourself rather than worrying about every little typo. That being said cookie talk make fat kid hungry, fat kid go find cookie.

As long as people know that you are roleplaying a so-called 'moron' then that is what they would expect. I've roleplayed with many people who have played the slow thinking dunce. When done well it can be quite fun, think Pinky and the Brain ;)

As long as people know that you are roleplaying a so-called 'moron' then that is what they would expect. I've roleplayed with many people who have played the slow thinking dunce. When done well it can be quite fun, think Pinky and the Brain ;)

And it can also be done positively dreadfully. I wouldn't reccomend doing something like this unless you're fairly confident in your roleplaying ability.

Also, consider portraying your character's traits in such away that isn't frustrating to people trying to read your dialogue.

And it can also be done positively dreadfully. I wouldn't reccomend doing something like this unless you're fairly confident in your roleplaying ability.

Also, consider portraying your character's traits in such away that isn't frustrating to people trying to read your dialogue.

Well, any roleplay can be dreadful. Even a simple conventional style when done poorly can get on your nerves, hence the terms mary sue and gary stu. Which is why I qualified my statement with 'when done well', but always nice to be backed up on that point :)

One of my most loved characters, according to my fellow roleplayers, was actually an old woman who was going senile. She had a speech impediment along with forgetting simple things that made for some interesting conversations that were quite disjointed and many times out of context with relation to where the conversation was at the time. It could sometimes be taken as frustrating for new players to the role playing group, but once they understood and got to know the old woman it was quite well received. After a while the speech pattern was decipherable by everyone. The trick was to be consistent. That I think, is where many new roleplayers fall down, consistency, or as they call it in the TV and movie industry, continuity.

Edited by ikinai

roleplaying should be for strictly roleplaying. It sucks that people have to be so cruel and come on rp servers when they aren't going to rp

I think it's really sad though that it's come to the days off companies have to put different types of servers on games because people would yell up a storm if they were all just called "server"

It's sad that these days we have to have "roleplaying servers" for people who "roleplay" on an online "roleplaying" game... THATS just sad.... :(

I'm confused, why do I need good grammar when I roleplay?

I personally prefer to roleplay with people whose speech and emotes I don't have to translate. Extremely poor spelling, syntax or punctuation can make a sentence confusing (at best) or utterly incomprehensible (at worst). This is especially true when many of the nonverbal cues we normally use to communicate (such as vocal tone or posture) in a non-text medium are missing.

I play to have fun. If I have to translate nearly every sentence from leet (for example) to something actually resembling English, it's going to feel like work.

roleplaying should be for strictly roleplaying. It sucks that people have to be so cruel and come on rp servers when they aren't going to rp

I think it's really sad though that it's come to the days off companies have to put different types of servers on games because people would yell up a storm if they were all just called "server"

It's sad that these days we have to have "roleplaying servers" for people who "roleplay" on an online "roleplaying" game... THATS just sad.... :(

To be fair alot of people may have never been on a RP server before and are seeing what it is all about. I do think however they should do a little bit of research on it before they decide to try one out.

To be fair alot of people may have never been on a RP server before and are seeing what it is all about. I do think however they should do a little bit of research on it before they decide to try one out.

Well it does say at the bottom of the server browser when you select an RP server, that said there really should be a a windows popping up telling people that they just selected an RP server and what that means, they do it for PVP servers...