ADHD and SWTOR

darkomenxiii

So I have ADHD, the inattentive sub type (ADD).

Keeping track of cool downs is horrid, choosing need on medium armor while me character can use heavy armor, not noticing what's going on in a flashpoint. (I'm so sorry about that :D)

Just a few things that I encountered in this awesome game :D

I need tips from people who have ADHD and how they all keep track of the things happening in the game.

In WoW I used a lot of flashy and warnings in my face addons to keep track of stuff.

Much appreciated :D

Edited by darkomenxiii

Well, if you see a bunch of red numbers when hovering over a piece of gear, don't take it.

Come up with a standard "Rotation". Muscle memory. Bang it into your head to do *this move* then *This other move* *Switch Target* *Other move* *Jam button down for original move until it works*

That type of thing. I'm not ADHD, but I hope it helps a bit.

Well, if you see a bunch of red numbers when hovering over a piece of gear, don't take it.

Come up with a standard "Rotation". Muscle memory. Bang it into your head to do *this move* then *This other move* *Switch Target* *Other move* *Jam button down for original move until it works*

That type of thing. I'm not ADHD, but I hope it helps a bit.

Thanks for the tips,

But what if the numbers are green ? :D

You seem well aware of your problems and that your mind can wander =) The only thing i can tell you is said - Keep an eye on the red numbers/text, try to catch your mind wandering and refocus (This is the hard part though with practice it can be done ).

Learn your rotation and that will help you know when cooldowns are off with out actually having to focus on it. It will take some time but you can do it.

Do you play with friends? If so, perhaps you could ask them to give you a headsup if there is gear or whatsnot that you CANT use =)

I know how hard it can be and wishes you the best of luck.

I have the exact same thing (ADHD with the inattentive thingy) and noticed that playing while wearing a headset actually helped out out greatly.

I know it sounds silly but I tend to space out a lot less like that. No idea why it helped but it just does.

Also play a class that isn't reliant on procs. That always helps. I was a terrible DPS Sorc until I switched to Gunslinger and Sentinel to DPS.

as others have pointed out, looking for red text is a good way to see if the item is for u or not.

If u play with friends or some1 that u can trust then pointing out this problem for them will help both them and u. they will probably help u to get it right.

also diet is important... not saying that to be rude. i have friends with ADHD and all of them are mindful of what they eat.

got a few links for u on the diet subject... again NOT trying to be rude here... only want to help out as i know only too well how hard it can be to have ADHD :cool:

hope it helps and good luck :)

oneADDplace.com

webMD.com

Thanks for the tips from you who have contributed. Especially the headphone one works great :D

Keep them coming !

Actually studies have shown that changing eating habits and other lifestyle habits can reduce the effects of 'problems' such as ADHD. It will still be persistent but the symptoms are reduced.

First reply is a good one too, train your brain.

Goodluck ;)

Edited by Cyphen

choosing need on medium armor while me character can use heavy armor

Well you're aware of the rules so just need to slow down and take notice. It is about knowing your weakness (ADHD) and what it can lead to (inattentiveness), but consciously dealing with it by working harder than 'normal' people on your weak areas.

It's the same with OCD, shyness, stutter, depression and all manner of psych areas. Change of diet can help, and drugs can take the edge off, but long-term it just means you need to work harder than others to do something they take for granted.

Good luck!

There's a few thing you can do instead of changing your diet.

In Preferences/User Interface scroll down to "Cooldown Settings" you can check the "Show Cooldown Text" to enable countdown timers on your toolbar irons. You can also change the styles, darken the background and add flashing to ready cooldowns.

Regading Need/Greed rolls the only advise I can suggest is to treat these with increased alertness, watch out when they pop up or make it a rule of thumb to default greed on items and only need on orange/blue drops if you've actually checked the stats and armor type.

I, myself stay away from dps classes, because I've discovered, being a dps lulls me to sleep in groups, I stop paying attention and act all around retarded. The hightened pressure of tanking or healing, forces me to focus on the task at hand. Whether it's marking mobs and setting up pulls, it seems to retain my lacking attention a little better.

Lastly regarding diet.

It's highly debatable whether or not a strict diet has any actual lasting positive effect, but the structure and organization that comes with it does. Since you've already been diagnosed, you should probably rely on advice from your own physician/psychiatrist atleast regarding the treatment of your disorder.

Edited by TOURDallas

Lastly regarding diet.

It's highly debatable whether or not a strict diet has any actual lasting positive effect, but the structure and organization that comes with it does. Since you've already been diagnosed, you should probably rely on advice from your own physician/psychiatrist atleast regarding the treatment of your disorder.

Just to be clear, I wasn't talking about going on a diet but rather changing your diet in a long-lasting and permanent way. A lot of 'modern' disorders can have quite clear links with the ****** food most people eat now ... artificial colours, flavours, preservatives and generally foods that come in a packet. All in the name of convenience people stuff their faces with crap.

Instead buy fresh vegetables, meat, rice/pasta/potatoes and you can cook a million and one dishes yourself for half the price AND you know the only thing added to them is what you yourself put there.

Anyway, off my soapbox now :)

Headphones work wonders, also sticky notes. I know it seems kinda dated and low tech but it helps, I have sticky notes hanging off my screen that remind me what secondary stats I need more than others ect. Also like someone else said you can change the CD display, I found that for me personally a clear contrast in cooldowns helps me stay on track with my rotation. Edited by lambandmartyre

Lots of great suggestions. That break down to one thing, you got

to find ways to reduce the distractions, that work for you.

One of the things I find helpful for my son that is autistic (no its

not ADD but its still a processing problem, like ADD is) , is we turn

off the lights sometimes when he is using the computer. With the room

darkened, he doesnt have other things catching his attention. Just the task

at hand.

And most importantly, this is just a game. Something to have fun

in, not something to beat yourself up about.

In Preferences/User Interface scroll down to "Cooldown Settings" you can check the "Show Cooldown Text" to enable countdown timers on your toolbar irons. You can also change the styles, darken the background and add flashing to ready cooldowns.

Regading Need/Greed rolls the only advise I can suggest is to treat these with increased alertness, watch out when they pop up or make it a rule of thumb to default greed on items and only need on orange/blue drops if you've actually checked the stats and armor type.

I, myself stay away from dps classes, because I've discovered, being a dps lulls me to sleep in groups, I stop paying attention and act all around retarded. The hightened pressure of tanking or healing, forces me to focus on the task at hand. Whether it's marking mobs and setting up pulls, it seems to retain my lacking attention a little better.

Lastly regarding diet.

Very useful tips, thanks a lot !

Yes, I am aware that it's not so much the diet but the structure that such a diet gives is more helping. Although fish oil, fruit etc. helps a bit.

One time I accidentally rolled greed instead of pass for a piece of gear I had no interest in. After I realized what it was (and we had a break in combat) I turned around and "traded" it to one of my group mates who could make better us of it for 0 credits.

I believe they are implementing a random number generator in a future patch, if they haven't already. So if you do have more than one teammate they could re roll for the gear. Obvoiusly its better to not roll for gear you don't want or need in the first place. But, if you do accidentally end up with something you didn't need most folks are pretty understanding about mistakes, especially if you turn around and say "Hey, my bad, why don't you take this instead." If they are jerks about it and give you tons of grief then I wouldn't waste my time grouping with them in the future.

....It's highly debatable whether or not a strict diet has any actual lasting positive effect, but the structure and organization that comes with it does. Since you've already been diagnosed, you should probably rely on advice from your own physician/psychiatrist atleast regarding the treatment of your disorder.

and that's the information that the pharmeceutical and corporate industry wants us all to believe is 'fact'.

becasue they will get 'you' and your savings in a few years :) :)

Why does our American society have the highest cancer rate in human history? Dont think it's the food we eat and how it is produced?..... Why are all cancer treatments reactive instead of proactive? .... it's big business, it's highly profitable...... but it's not good for us. ..... think.

knowledge is power..... learn for yourself....stop believing everything you hear on t.v.

The good thing about subscribing to conspiracy theories and alternative medicine is you're not actually held to any "real" standards, it's enough to form an "oppinion" or "feel" strongly about something. If you disagree with "actual" medical research, you can just put it in "quotes" which automatically dismisses it, such as "Theory of Evolution," "Theory of Gravity" or "When it rains you get wet."

But I fear we digress, I think the closest we come to an agreement is that I admitt that a healthy diet never hurt anyone.

Edited by TOURDallas

lol, natural foods are now 'alternative' and 'conspiracy theories'?? heh...the things people believe.

I take in all information ... and decide for myself.

....but go ahead and keep consuming processed foods over natural. that's your perogative.

Phizer will take your money for the pills to counter the symptoms.

Edited by ArtMonster

have you actually reviewed the "medical research" ? I have checked on many. and am still looking.

you'd be suprised what corporate lobbyists get past washington & the FDA to deem things 'safe'.

drugs are recalled all the time.....but they were ALL passed and tested in these so called medical research findings (corporate run and sponsored research mind you....look it up, do some real research).

heh.... do more that listen to what is 'given' to you for info.

Edited by ArtMonster

Thanks for the tips,

But what if the numbers are green ? :D

Generally, if you wear heavy, and it's medium armor, it will show lower stat changes, rather than gaining stats - like losing 50 armor, or something like that.

Edit: Guys, I know you are trying to be helpful, but I'm sure this person is doing everything he/she feels works for his/her adhd. This isn't an ADHD forum, so please lay off the "this works for controlling adhd". You don't know how many well being people throw this kind of stuff towards people with a chronic condition every day. He/she asked for in game help, that's it.

Edited by Ashu-ri

I have a bit problem with attention span.

I'll hate to say this. But another way of helping yourself is probably yoga/meditation and stay away from computer games. Which sends you in an emotional and mental frenzy.

That being said, we cant do everything right. Have you tried a programmable keyboard like razers or a G13. Im pretty new to MMO, I have no chance in hell keeping track of all the buttons and stuff going on.

Whit a programmable keyboad you can for instance:

Apply 4 buffs with one single keystroke ( I just smash mah buff button once in a while when I notice the timers are down. Doesnt mind much which one)

Have it choose between attacks. Like:

1: Execute move if target less than 30% or

2: Normal one

(it actually just try to do the execute first and then 75ms later do the normal attack so its not haxxor, but it works since the execute forces global cooldown if it succeeds. So no second attack will interupt the move :)