Will SWTOR be able to compete with upcoming MMOs?

SaerethDL

I thought it would at least tide me over to GW2...

I couldn't play this steaming pile for more than two and half weeks.

And yet here you are QQing about it on the forums. Logic much?

It seems to me that a person with common sense would spend their time on something they enjoy but maybe you really like to QQ?;)

Edited by lineschmidt

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you think GW2's big accomplishment is adding jumping?

As far as your point about SWTOR... nothing you do within your story matters in TOR. You'll get to 50 and your story ends. That's it, game over. Every choice you make, makes no difference. Every choice you make leads to the same outcome.

No, I also said that there will be the living world which will be new that future MMO's will learn from.

To answer your SWTOR decision comment, that may be true but as I move forward in the game it makes me feel like my decisions do matter which is something I have never played with before. I may not make a difference when I get to 50, but decision making is always a good thing. Instead of doing a quest and getting a reward, you can decide how your story continues.

Edited by Thalcarion

I'm 32 and have been gaming for over 20 years. Although I this is my first online game I know a good game when I play one. Great games make you skip meals. Great games make you feel bad when you send twenty settlers to their doom. All great games have a storyline that makes you come back for more even if you already know whats coming next. I started with the NES, and played all the other systems that came after. Star Wars aside, the beauty of this game is that is grows into you as you play. Its not just about clicking buttons, its about being apart of a world that is bigger then you and a part of you.

Lord Eris

Just because you don't wish to acknowledge GW2's presence, doesn't mean it isn't there.

After GW2 releases, TOR may as well just be 1 or 2 servers, because anyone who continues to play this game and pay a subscription, is just wasting money on an inferior product.

I said it's nowhere to be seen, as we don't have any release date still, but I did say that it will probably be the end of swtor.

Will swtor lose alot of player base to mmo's that are coming out soon, TERA may 1st, and GW2 around dec? After playing TERA over beta weekend it seems like a very developed and quality MMO that has all the things an MMO'ers heart can desire. These mmo's didn't give the excuses that they are a new MMO and need to develop after launch.. they are delivering everything we expect in a modern day MMO on release.. How will swtor hold up to the competition is the question?

Established Customer Base and Subscriptions > Upcoming MMO with a hope and a dream of having an established customer base

also

Huge Conglomerate, part of EA(Still I regard this as the worst decision ever made by BW) > Startup company, and smaller company.

Edited by Alric_Annondu

What's funny is that i'd guess that most of the people saying "can't wait for GW2. It will revolutionize MMOs!" were probably the same people trolling Blizzard's forum saying that Rift and SWTOR would kill WoW and how SWTOR would re-shape MMOs. I Wonder what unreleased game they'll gush about when GW2 doean't meet their unrealistic expectations. Edited by amantheil

What's funny is that i'd guess that most of the people saying "can't wait for GW2. It will revolutionize MMOs!" were probably the same people trolling Blizzard's forum saying that Rift and SWTOR would kill WoW and how SWTOR would re-shape MMOs. Wonder what unreleased game they'll gush about when GW2 doean't meet their unrealistic expectations.

Who cares as long as they're not doing it here ;):D

Oh ya, care to give any specifics?

Do you even know what you're talking about?

What item exactly is 'P2W' from 'leaked beta photos'?

All covered in the leaked screens of the cash shop. Go find them yourself. Plus you can visit many forums to see the rage over it from potential players.

All covered in the leaked screens of the cash shop. Go find them yourself. Plus you can visit many forums to see the rage over it from potential players.

Lol, ok if you wanna post something inaccurate, prove it.

Since you can't... "go find it yourself" seems like a good cover.

Nice work fanboy.

You can go back to your beloved game now :)

I feel that the things in GW2 will be seen from other games, and honestly is nothing new it's just new to the GW franchise, like jumping for instance. GW doesn't have that and GW2 will, hmmm? ok. lol. Living world and decisions determining your game play and outcome? SWTOR is doing that too yes? Events happening as your going through your world, that may be a new thing, and an interesting move.

I don't think you've actually played star wars, that maybe you just have a subscription to say things like this on the forums.

In guild wars 2, if you go and say, destroy a bridge. the bridge is gone. It doesn't re-appear after 5 minutes. NPC's that used to use the bridge now have to find a new way around. If you see a farm being attacked by a bunch of evil horse riders and you save the farm. It stays saved. THAT is making a difference in the world.

Warcraft is doing similar things with their phasing concepts. as you complete quests and take over new parts of the map (think Icecrown in WotLK, but they admitted this was an extreme example), you change the world. With Mists they're making phasing way less obtrusive and using it in such a way that it will be like guildwars, where if you save a burning farm, it's saved.

In star wars, the world is as static as the desktop wallpaper on my windows 7 box. Well no, I take that back. I have Windows 7 set to rotate through several hundred wallpapers every 30 minutes.

Bioware has to instance story elements so to move the "world" forward and then after you complete it, they lock you out of that part of the world.

Lol, ok if you wanna post something inaccurate, prove it.

Since you can't... "go find it yourself" seems like a good cover.

Nice work fanboy.

You can go back to your beloved game now :)

That fact you didn't even know about is very funny for a game you think is the "next great thing".

You better head off and do a little research.