Why are Mercs completely useless in 50 pvp

Rampagius

LMAO when was the last time you saw a merc do over 500k damage? Now go to your local BM Sorc and look at him doing 500k damage while putting out over 100k healing.

Not going to argue about the Merc healer, but in regards to your top damage statement. PFFT, riiiiiiight.

At LEAST 1 in 5 matches when my buddy decides he's bored of healing and wants to DPS, No he doesn't play tracer spam spec. Bad mercs cry that the class is terrible, good mercs destroy things.

So many people cry about their class on these forums, 1/100 (that's me being generous) of them actually take the time to learn how to play it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ANY force user, AND/OR melee with similar gear, should have NO problems killing a non-healer merc.

if you are a force user, and you die to TM spam you are bad..

if you are a force user, and comment on this thread saying that OP is wrong, you are bad.

I often have the highest damage in a warzone, but I CAN NOT kill a 18k+ tank/dps class - EVER.

and two of the top3 pvp classes are dps tanks.

(BM, and Merc)

Edited by KKaae

Im a 50 gunnery commando and i get around 400k every wz. I pwn people even if they do interupt me. But if i get two people who both interupt me then im screwed. But honestly if u cant play this class very well then you will hate it. This class isnt that hard but if your good then you pwn. So to the OP.... your not good at pvpvping. Just trying to give you answers.

Well, Im also a commando and based on what you are writing I am probably alot better than you. With 75 valor, fully optimized BM/Rakata gear I can state for a fact that there is no way, simply no way, a gunnerycommando can beat a well played/geared sentinel in a duel. We simply do not have the tools. 2 interrupts on very short CDs, leap on shorter CD than your KB (which also will interrupt you), add in force choke, effectively means you will NEVER get of a single tracer missile, except for maybe 4 seconds of cryogrenade, IF he for some reason chooses not to break free of it.

Powershot+full auto simply dont cut it against geared opponents, and they also get interrupted. What do you do? Beat him down with hammershot and stockstrike?

The same applies for vanguards, guardians, and basically all classes but us. I will not deny I usually win "1v1"s on regular basis, but this is against scrubs, people who have no idea of how to play against us, and usually also are undergeared compared to me.

For a competetive level commandos are about the weakest class in the game, and with 1.2 they are gonna be effectively removed from any sort of competetive play.

And please dont give me that ***** that "its not a 1v1 game". What about 2v2? Cause 2 sentinels will annhilate 2 commandos, same applies for 3 sentinels vs 3 commandos.

The class is simply broken and being further gimped into oblivion. I could accept the changes if they gave us more defensive CDs, an interrupt and more instacasts. But as it stands I have no interest of playing the laughingstock class of the litter. I realize the fun for the crowd by having an easily farmable class in the game to gank down in between the real fights, but the problem is that few people find it enjoyable to play one.'

Unsubbed, waiting for D3/GW2...

Edited by Niconogood

Haha what? I've got a 50 Commando Gunnery in 3/5 Battlemaster gear and the rest Champion. If you think you're dying too fast, you've got no idea what you're doing in the game.

I didnt say I was dying too fast did I? I simply say we dont have the tools to deal with other classes, which calls for bad balance. When one class is countered by the majority of the classes in the game, while at the same time countering noone but its mirrorclass.. Thats what we call unbalanced.

But feel free to enlighten me about how you deal with ie. sentinels in duels.

And also have in the back of your head that Im here talking about competetive PvP on top level, everyone utilizing their entire arsenal of skills to the fullest, all premades in full BM/Rakata. Not PuG scrubbage PvP....

Edited by Niconogood

DPS is a pyro is pretty darn good. I usually average 300k in huttball and civil war and 400-600k in voidstar, assuming i stick to the objectives and not just try to full on DPS. It takes alot less work to do damage in this range as a pyrotech. Heat management is more of an issue but once you get that down its smooth sailing. You get alot more mobility; its fun times.

Here is a recent example from a warzone the other day. This included some downtime just guarding a stray door as well.

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh70/lijahrobinson/?action=view&current=Screenshot_2012-03-14_21_01_02_289014.jpg

^ YAY Pyro. pyro mercs are so rare, but can do a lot of hurt.

Honestly I don't see a problem with mercs in 50, some merc/commandos I face are pretty hard to kill.

OP, stop being Mr. Baddie.

I can do a lot of dmg if I'm left alone, but cant do much of anything if I'm focused on. I'm arsenal spec since I'm 41 and the hybrid spec didnt seem to work well at this level.

Problem is, in sub 50 pvp, nobody knows how to do anything so I'm running the ball myself, taking nodes myself, poopin gold by myself.

Not easy to do with 30% ar reduc and some crappy def shield.

try a different spec alltogether and see if one fits your playstyle better.

dont be afraid to respec 3 4 times to find something you like.

then when yu find something adapt your playstyle to it start thinking in terms of gear what could enhance the strong points of your playstyle.

then its experience based

Speaking as a Pyrotech Powertech When I see a tracer missile/grav round spammer the very first thought in my head is "there is an easy kill". These guys are my first priority to kill (baring healers) because they can pump out so much damage once they get stacks of the armor debuff on you, and yet they are so incredibly squishy.

All it takes to kill a commando/merc is an interrupt and decent damage. My interrupt locks out for four seconds, so they get one tracer off on me and i interrupt the second, they can't do any tracer missiles for four seconds, they get a second one off, I interrupt again when they try a third and then they are dead.

Do you really think that looking at how much damage a class do in a warzone is a way to judge a class? This IS how troll think.

In 1vs1 an Arsenal Merc is dust and everyone with a medium pvp experience know about that, it's an easy prey becuse it doesn't have any interupt, any absorb shield, any speed boost, not so many CCs (lot less than any other classes), a medium health pool (1k more than a sorc :rolleyes: ), no hiding in combat, and so on, it has only tracer missile and hope to kill the enemy as fast as possibile, but with just an interrupt and he is gone :rolleyes:

The problem with Arsenal Merc isn't the class itself, it has great DPS (but not the most) and low survivability, it is balanced this way, the problem are the other classes that have so much more with comparable DPS, health and better defences

This.

I have dps trooper/merc. I can do huge dps, but only when no one is on me. If you let me spam my 1 button, i can get 300k+ in wz. Fun ends here. When im 1 vs 1 most of the time im dead. Almost all melee classes can own us easy. Before someone starts about l2p or get better gear, i have almost full bm, 66 valor and 2 months wz experience...

Edited by Kooto

Heavy armor = worthless

very good defensive cool downs = Wrong

the highest ranged dps in the game = Wrong. Sorcs do more.

tracer missile the highest hitting proc builder of all classes = in other words, tracer missile is the only tracer missile.

Mercs/Commandos have no utility, easily killed, and are out performed by every other class in whatever roll they choose. People are just mad cause they cant interrupt a two second cast and get hit for 1500 by a spammable ability, never mind telekinetic throw/force lightning its all about tracer missile/grav round.

Edited by Warkyd

Tracer spam is useless? I'm a fully battlemaster geared gunslinger who just played against a dps merc in hutball. I didn't even try to kill anyone else the entire game cause his tracer missles were killing all of us very quickly. Some of these missles were hitting me for 4k damage... really? When I'm in fully BM gear?

Where's my 2-4k damage attack which does it that fast? My aimed shot which is channeled and takes forever is only supposed to hit for like 2-3k and thats before the armor mitagation.

I want to know when Mercs will be nerfed so that the OP will actually be whining about something thats true cause as it is right now, I'd rather be playing any other class than a gunslinger when it comes to pvp. Give Gunslingers tracer missles if Mercs don't want them :) We are supposed to be the ranged class anyways!

I'll put in my 2 cents.

I do just fine in pvp as an arsenal spec merc and I stay that spec because I also do PVE regularly. There are plenty of damage dealing tools other then tracer missile and in any warzone it's not that hard to place yourself in a position that you can build up TM stacks, primarily the shield. You cant expect to get TM's off on one person to build the full armor debuff without them LOSing/interupting unless they are bad,or focused on someone else. but guess what... you dont need too.

Pick your targets, and rotate attacks as well as targets, it keeps shield buff up and helps offset interrupts. heatseekers and rail shot are heavy hitters, and unload, and explosive dart are all solid damage dealers too. throw in rocket punch for when the gap gets closed and you're competing. Staying on a ledge is great too, arsenal spec has 2 knockbacks, they work well.

Yes in 1v1 a weakness to interrupts gets really obvious, but there's still enough abilities available that TM mercs can compete. I probably loose more 1v1's then I win against similarly geared opponents but a total stomping is fairly rare.

I do wish I could utilize the jetpack on my back to get out of the pit sometimes though :p

Edited by TroyBerg

Try to beat a tag team of those suckers in voidstar lol we have a group of repubs that pvp with trooper dps and healers teams it's insane to say the least to try to beat them. I think they have a pocket healer for every player lol. Edited by LordbishopX

Lot of AOE ?

That's pretty much it. We have 2 very good AE abilities that are shoot and forget, and the best AE ability in game. Merc's specs are all fine. Tracer is high dps lack of mobility, Pyro is bursty high dps with lots of mobility, and heals are strong.

Only thing I would LOOOOVE is a 3-5 minute CD ability to save my ***, preferably something that allows me to jetpack away (both a leap and sprint ability). Just make it cap your heat or something similarly crippling. Thus, making it only useful as an escape when capped on heat anyway (thus probably losing a battle) and/or something you can use as a gap closer but requires vent heat to be off cooldown for you to do anything mildly useful for next 20 seconds.

I used to think that Mercs sucked in huttball. They only suck as a ball carrier when the other team focus fires you.

They are excellent support for the team. No one else is better suited at controlling the center area than a Merc. Standing in the center, or the side ledges, or the forward or backward walkways that border the center.

Yes they suck if the ball carrier gets past them. But thats when you leave it to the Sorcs to catch them and you just start clearing the center for the next Neutral ball.

When you team is about to score...again, clear the center for the Neutral ball. Any time your ball carrier is going to die? Have them throw it away so it respawns. The Merc and friends should have the center area cleared.

I think thats because Tracer Missile looks so stupid.

I was so happy to see this in the PTS 1.2 patch notes

"Tracer Missile and Fusion Missile's animations have been exchanged by popular demand from the community."

Dont really care all that much about the 10% damage nerf and increase in cast time. Makes the move weaker, but we get buffs to make up for it and encourage use of other abilities. Overall I say it's a good thing.

Edited by Paralassa
content quote

I used to think that Mercs sucked in huttball. They only suck as a ball carrier when the other team focus fires you.

They are excellent support for the team. No one else is better suited at controlling the center area than a Merc. Standing in the center, or the side ledges, or the forward or backward walkways that border the center.

Yes they suck if the ball carrier gets past them. But thats when you leave it to the Sorcs to catch them and you just start clearing the center for the next Neutral ball.

When you team is about to score...again, clear the center for the Neutral ball. Any time your ball carrier is going to die? Have them throw it away so it respawns. The Merc and friends should have the center area cleared.

Great post, that's exactly what I do. Although... I do score now and again, or carry briefly and pass. Clearing the ramps is also something that's well suited for Mercs. Clear the way, and protect the middle. As a Pyro Merc.

Edited by Bamajawn