Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

New patch and server maintenance at peak time?

defendurname

Lol at everyone. You seriously have nothing else you could do for 2 hours? This game is still in its early stages, things like this will happen. If you need a game that only goes down at the scheduled times, wait a year and come back.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wht u talking about? You said it yourself, whatever they do, someone is going to complain. So they mostly do maintenence/patches during european prime time. Don't see how I pulled your post out of context. Just stating the truth.

I had Quoted the same post you did, only you lopped off about half of the post. Wasn't my post to begin with, but I did read it. And while I understand it being inconvenient, because it's my day off and I was playing too, it's not a big deal.

Everyone - we apologize for the inconvenience. We do everything we can to avoid taking the servers down for maintenance outside of our regular weekly maintenance, but in some cases (like this one, unfortunately) we can't avoid it. This patch is necesary to ensure a good experience for all players during our Weekend Pass Trial weekend. We never take interrupting your playtime lightly, and this is no exception. Emergencies do happen occasionally, and we are working as quickly as we can to bring the servers back up so you can continue enjoying the game. In the meantime, we'll keep you updated with any new information that becomes available. Thank you for your understanding and patience as we work to ensure everything goes smoothly this weekend.

This just indicates that people who have not paid a dime to the game are more important that those who currently are. The simple fact is that this should have been prepared for the Tuesday maintenance and there is no excuse as to why it wasn't done. Bioware could have, and obviously should have, extended the Tuesday maintenance to allow for the free trial weekend to go smoothly.

I'm another European (UK) player who has just come home from work and found to my surprise that I couldn't play!

I accept that hotfixes are sometimes needed for MMOs, but - and maybe I just have a faulty memory - I can't remember in my four years of WoW that the servers went down for a patch at peak (European) time.

It would be nice if BioWare could deploy teams, like Blizzard, to ensure that maintenance times are adjusted for time zones. But, I do understand that that would require spending (probably a lot) of money, and since we're living in unstable economic times, that might not be very desirable from a business point of view.

I can also understand it's a lot simpler to deploy a patch all in one go across every server zone.

Overall, I'd prefer it if we could have a team for Europe (and I guess Asia too) who deploys patches at a non-peak time... but maybe it's one for the future.

I also have to say, it's a very insular view to say that; because BioWare is an North American company, no-one else outside of America has any right to be annoyed about not being able to play at a peak time. I don't think the players who are saying this would be thrilled at the prospect of not being able to play at their peak time.

It's also foolish to generalise that 'all American people are stupid', or whatever. That's just basic playground idiocy, in my book. There are uninformed people and then also great people of all nationalities and the proportions are never that different, in my experience.

Finally an intelligent post and not more mindless bashing! Thank you! I agree!

Everyone - we apologize for the inconvenience. We do everything we can to avoid taking the servers down for maintenance outside of our regular weekly maintenance, but in some cases (like this one, unfortunately) we can't avoid it. This patch is necesary to ensure a good experience for all players during our Weekend Pass Trial weekend. We never take interrupting your playtime lightly, and this is no exception. Emergencies do happen occasionally, and we are working as quickly as we can to bring the servers back up so you can continue enjoying the game. In the meantime, we'll keep you updated with any new information that becomes available. Thank you for your understanding and patience as we work to ensure everything goes smoothly this weekend.

SO WHY can't this be done in US prime time? No patch was that important to bring the servers down during that time. But i guess that us Europeans don't have the same right like the Americans.

Working with programming myself i smell a fart... It is pretty simple to make a solution that works around this problem.

BW created so many bottleneck problems and left hand solutions that i think they have given up.

And obviously your programming prowess would recognize that a bug of such magnatude that requires an emergency patch cant be deployed in stages without the possibly of doing more harm then good by leaving some servers up and running..

If they are only going to be down another hour and a half, I can tolerate it. I realize that this early in a game, there are a lot of bugs to squash and a lot of bits and pieces to fine tune. What everyone who rages about downtime seems to forget, is that this game is barely 3 months old, of course it is going to have more and longer downtimes then a game like WoW that has been around for eight years.

It has nothing to do with bugs, they brought all the servers down to put in their free weekend stuff. Because you know they couldn't have done it from 12am-6am CST. It had to be done in the middle of the day!

A quote form a closed thread....Poor guy was pissed but still...lol

"So *********** tired to have maintenance al the *********** time. Why cant you have you *********** maintenance on the night when peoples sleeps. It is so enoing to come home from work and maintenance that was that day. You have maintenance on the just enoing times, why **** have maintenance 19.00 CET?????? "

OK, Coin it now: "Enoing" Is that a beut or what? E-nnoying haha I dunno it cracked me up. Ill put the flame suit on now =P

Surprise patching!

No information about what the patching is about... why can't you provide patch notes in the meanwhile so we know what is going on. You know this is peak time and many of us Europeans raid at this time. Some compensation would be good too. :mad:

This lack of information is really getting on my nerves...

you ever hear of 'this is not wow so stick your ****** wow' up your ***? Hmm how about that? Just **** about wow for once ffs

You do realise i wasn't defending WoW, but pointing out how much better this game is than WoW once 4 months in? ZOMGNERDRAGEbro? I KNOW you have heard that before! No please be quite and let the big boys talk.

It's too ridiculous. Can't say anymore

lets face it the EU servers are in the EU i heard dublin tho can not conferm if they wasnt latancey would be a nightmare so can some 1 please tell me why they cant do US maintainance at 1am PST and EU servers at 1am GMT

i understand that some people will say no 1 working then but a big globle company like bio-ware come on they have night shifts the same we do what they got ppl working through out the night over in canada and the US to do maintance but they cant do it through the night here when its like 6am in the US

Seriously? You're doing a patch during European prime time, for some advertising stunt, and without care for your paying customers?

Whoever is responsible for this, should get fired immediately ...

Good luck firing shareholders ;)

Seriously, they develop such a fun game, constantly fix bugs and stuff, it's really great that they take care of their software issues and do their best to keep everything running smooth.

and then they just go ahead and piss you off when they shut down for maintenance during peak playtime.

Honestly they need to re-think how they deploy the patches in different time zones, whoever manages that is a moron. I don't care if the EU servers are down from 10am GMT to 15:00 GMT cause the majority of us are still at work.

When I get home to chill with my friends, I expect my paid service to be online and working.

Please don't insult yourself's with such a great game, with great service and regular patches, by shooting yourself in the face with bad timing.

People on the EU servers can handle a bug or two for an extra day or so, regular patches once a week in a non peak time slot will keep us as happy as a pig in Palestine. you seriously don't have to shutdown everything just to fix one or two things at a time, emergency game changing fixes are something entirely different.

so please don't work harder, work smarter...