this game is great but needs a few changes to surpass wow

BHatz

Posts that want SWTOR to be more "like wow" are not what I want to see. I want LESS wow-like features...not more.

SWG was not a flob. However, it was not as hugely successful as it would have been if they (SOE) would have left the developer do their thing and make the game work. SWG was a POTENTIALLY great game. It became much less so by making it more "wow-like".

I do not expect SWTOR to be SWG-like nor wow-like. I just want it to be fun. I want things to do when I log in whether it is solo or with friends. I want it to be STAR WARS-like.

i don't think many people are going to agree about the companions, it's one of the innovations and staples of the game.. and i'm sure most will want to see it exapanded further and not removed.

anyone below 50 gets enhanced to the state of a basic level 49 but you retain your level abilities so it's a pretty good way of doing things, you don't get flat out owned by higher levels but you are at a disadvantage.. i find myself still being able to contribute in the late teens/early 20s. even doing very well.

some of the other stuff you're correct about, not being able to find groups and more of an open world.

as to surpassing wow, i really think warcraft's time is at an end. i rarely even hear talk of it and alot of people have left it for good and are looking toward the future with other games.

the best thing this game can do is just focus on itself and creating its own identity and not trying to be like another.

patch 1.2 is a good step forward toward that direction.

honestly there are a few things that are really stupid in this game. for one. companions. i know a lot of people like them but honestly i dont like relying on a companion to help me fight. compare it to wow not every class had a companion or pet and the ones that did werent that strong without their pets so they needed them. and then there is the world, it needs to be more open like wow. and the abilities. there is very little need to rotate your abilities just spam the same attack several times and throw something else in to tweak it. it is hard to find gear or an instance run. in wow you can enter a queue which makes it easier. this star fox starship bs has got to go. the game feels more like a single player game than an mmo. and if that is the case lower the monthly price from $15. there needs to be more cross faction areas, i have played up to level 23 which is nearly half way to max and have not seen one sith pass by let alone try to gank me. ganking adds to the challenge. nearly every great mmo has it. and the pvp arenas need work. how the hell do you expect a level 15 to jump into a match with a bunch of level 50s and survive? the only thing that keeps me going with this game is the storyline. i love the story line and not having to read every quest like in wow. but honestly i am probably going to end up going back to wow. i had much higher hopes for swtor but it seems that it is going to end up flopping like swg did. you really should make a mix of the 3 games the open world and sheer massiveness of swg mixed with the star fighting and space battles, the combat of wow, and the storyline of swtor. then you would have the perfect mmo.

Save it!

No one here cares about that crap WoW so to bring it up is just not too bright.

honestly there are a few things that are really stupid in this game. for one. companions. i know a lot of people like them but honestly i dont like relying on a companion to help me fight. compare it to wow not every class had a companion or pet and the ones that did werent that strong without their pets so they needed them. and then there is the world, it needs to be more open like wow. and the abilities. there is very little need to rotate your abilities just spam the same attack several times and throw something else in to tweak it. it is hard to find gear or an instance run. in wow you can enter a queue which makes it easier. this star fox starship bs has got to go. the game feels more like a single player game than an mmo. and if that is the case lower the monthly price from $15. there needs to be more cross faction areas, i have played up to level 23 which is nearly half way to max and have not seen one sith pass by let alone try to gank me. ganking adds to the challenge. nearly every great mmo has it. and the pvp arenas need work. how the hell do you expect a level 15 to jump into a match with a bunch of level 50s and survive? the only thing that keeps me going with this game is the storyline. i love the story line and not having to read every quest like in wow. but honestly i am probably going to end up going back to wow. i had much higher hopes for swtor but it seems that it is going to end up flopping like swg did. you really should make a mix of the 3 games the open world and sheer massiveness of swg mixed with the star fighting and space battles, the combat of wow, and the storyline of swtor. then you would have the perfect mmo.

I agree with a'lot of your points and i'm seeing them now. The whole boxed linear mazed boxed planets is a real deal breaker for me.

Edited by xilbuster

BHatz:

honestly there are a few things that are really stupid in this game.

1. companions. i know a lot of people like them but honestly i dont like relying on a companion to help me fight. compare it to wow not every class had a companion or pet and the ones that did werent that strong without their pets so they needed them.

i wasn't sure if i was going to like this, either. turns out that i love it. having a blast figuring out who my comapnions are. adds to the story for me

2. the world, it needs to be more open like wow.

not much to say here. i like the feel of both. would be nice if there was more room for exploring off the beaten path, but i can certainly wait for that.

3. the abilities. there is very little need to rotate your abilities just spam the same attack several times and throw something else in to tweak it.

i haven't found this to be true at all. i have tried most of the classes, and have used a variety of different attacks while playing

4. it is hard to find gear or an instance run. in wow you can enter a queue which makes it easier.

again, i havn't had a problem with gear, but i havn't tried to rush throught the game. my highest is a 32. when i am ready for the grind, i have those that i can run with to get what i need

5. this star fox starship bs has got to go.

i like it. different strokes

6. the game feels more like a single player game than an mmo. and if that is the case lower the monthly price from $15. there needs to be more cross faction areas, i have played up to level 23 which is nearly half way to max and have not seen one sith pass by let alone try to gank me. ganking adds to the challenge. nearly every great mmo has it.

i am quite happy to pay a measly 15 buckes a month for a game that keeps on giving, which this does (at least for me).

7. the pvp arenas need work. how the hell do you expect a level 15 to jump into a match with a bunch of level 50s and survive?

you lost me here. you say that you think ganking is essential, then complain that you've been ganked. what? anyway. i think they have said that they are trying to come up with a better match up system

the only thing that keeps me going with this game is the storyline. i love the story line and not having to read every quest like in wow. but honestly i am probably going to end up going back to wow. i had much higher hopes for swtor but it seems that it is going to end up flopping like swg did.

i love the story as well. when i get burnt out on this, i will jump back into wow, and vice versa. the good thing about these games is that you can cancel your sub until that "iv'e just played this game out" feeling is gone. not to mention knew content and all.

you really should make a mix of the 3 games the open world and sheer massiveness of swg mixed with the star fighting and space battles, the combat of wow, and the storyline of swtor. then you would have the perfect mmo.

Wow.....just wow.....normally I wouldnt say this but you really should go back to wow lol. And ganking, seriously? Its one thing to have open world pvp, which I agree is severely lacking but I honestly cant think of anyone who enjoys having max level players repeatedly beat the hell out of them and if you do, seek help lol.

Since when does an MMO need 10million+ subs to be considered a success?

Just because something isn't huge hit zomg #1 doesn't mean it isn't a success, and certainly doesn't mean it isn't good. Personally, I prefer the ways this game has differentiated itself. I'm not a huge fan of the loading screens, but the fact that this MMO plays more like a console RPG is good, IMO.

Since when does an MMO need 10million+ subs to be considered a success?

Just because something isn't huge hit zomg #1 doesn't mean it isn't a success, and certainly doesn't mean it isn't good. Personally, I prefer the ways this game has differentiated itself. I'm not a huge fan of the loading screens, but the fact that this MMO plays more like a console RPG is good, IMO.

I agree with you. The game is done well in my opinion. If it did need 10 million to be successful then WoW would be the only successful MMO ever and I think we can all agree thats not the case. RIFT, EQ, EVE, AION, DAOC, etc are all successful and not one has 10 million. The sad truth is many "MMO players" have only played WoW and think every MMO should be a copy of that. Its like playing Mortal Kombat and saying thats the ONLY way to make a fighting game or to play Skyrim and say that is the ONLY way to make a RPG, its really narrow minded.

Hello everyone!

We appreciate feedback, both positive and negative. However, we do ask that that feedback is constructive. This post goes into more detail about what we're looking for in feedback and how to make sure your feedback is constructive and helpful.

With that in mind, we're going to go ahead and close the thread. If you have suggestions for the game, we have a fantastic thread for suggestion lists and a forum for specific suggestions, the Suggestion Box. We encourage you to continue your discussion in one of these locations.

Thank you for understanding and helping us make sure that the forums are as constructive and helpful as possible!