Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Ctrl + Right click NOT working in this game: Will it be fixed?

TheNotorius

If you press Ctrl and then you try to Right click, to move the camera, you won't move.

It's not *really* a gamebreaking issue (for someone it is), but it's REALLY annoying.

The only positive thing, is that if you Right click first and after that, you press the Ctrl modifier, it works normally.

--> I hope it will be fixed someday, since you fixed the \ key and other things, I have hope about it.

P.s.: In Aion, when you pressed Shift, you couldn't control your character at all.

The difference, is that they never fixed it after all these years (along with other problems like mouse scrolls not usable).

Edited by TheNotorius

I may be missing something. Why is CTRL a necessary modifier? You can right click, and drag the camera around just fine.

I apologize, but I don't completely understand how you want to use the CTRL key to look as I've only used the CTRL key as a modifier for my action bar. :confused:

You don't need Ctrl to move the camera, but you need it to use abilities (if you bind them to Ctrl modifier)

--> Example: I run against someone, press ctrl-2 to do an ability (for example), I can't move the camera (until I release the Ctrl key)

Or, if my rotation is ctrl-1 and then ctrl-2, I would like to keep Ctrl pushed for example, but I can't, because I can't rotate the camera

Probably because ctrl+right click is considered a different and seperate bind from a simple right-click.

Perhaps adding ctrl+right click to the camera mouse movement in keybindings would fix it for you?

Not sure, good luck.

But as an aside, thanks for pointing out something that I think may be really useful for me! I never considered this, but it may be an awesome idea to bind ctrl+left click and ctrl+right click to abilities for even faster use in combat.

You don't need Ctrl to move the camera, but you need it to use abilities (if you bind them to Ctrl modifier)

--> Example: I run against someone, press ctrl-2 to do an ability (for example), I can't move the camera (until I release the Ctrl key)

Or, if my rotation is ctrl-1 and then ctrl-2, I would like to keep Ctrl pushed for example, but I can't, because I can't rotate the camera

Hold left and right mouse button to move/angle position.

Use left hand for cntrl keybinds.

Profit

I use ctrl for numerous abilities and I've never had this issue.

Well, try to press Ctrl and then try to move the Camera: you won't move. So of course if you pressed an ability, it would be the same.

In normal situations (expecially pvp), the problem is more rare, or it's less evident, but it still exists.

every mmo has different control patterns compared to others.

nothing new.

I wouldn't call a minor bug a "different control pattern".

Yeah, this is something that bugs me as well. I always bind my abilities to my mouse buttons + modifiers (shift, alt and ctrl) and the ones I use in conjunction with the ctrl key have the same problem you mentioned. It can sometimes be annoying in the middle of combat, especially pvp which is obviously a bit more hectic.

It's not gamebreaking, but it would definitely be awesome if they went ahead and fixed this.

Well, try to press Ctrl and then try to move the Camera: you won't move. So of course if you pressed an ability, it would be the same.

I tested this out and you're right, you don't move. I never noticed it until you made this post. Thanks, now I'm annoyed by it. :/

• 1 month later...

The amount of trolling stupid replies to the OP's well put sensible thread is *********** astonishing, what is wrong with this community? I wonder if those replying play their characters at level 50 and pvp a lot as the control thing would be a game breaker for some given the mass amount of keys needed to push to to the lack of macros for trivial abilities such as relics etc.

my workaround for the problem is to use shift as a modifier instead, so far ive had no issues with this

hopefully the devs will fix this issue to allow players to play in a way that they feel comfortable with.

Though I don't think it quite counts as a bug, I see no reason why this shouldn't be put forward to be amended.

You might want to put this in the suggestions box though.

Edited by llesna

I may be missing something. Why is CTRL a necessary modifier? You can right click, and drag the camera around just fine.

I apologize, but I don't completely understand how you want to use the CTRL key to look as I've only used the CTRL key as a modifier for my action bar. :confused:

Ditto.

Edit: now i understand.

Edited by Shlamorel

• 2 years later...

I really need to pay closer attention to the datetime stamps on posts when replying. I didn't realize someone had necro'd this thread right away. lol

To the guy above me who revived this topic... You should be able to rotate your camera simply by holding the right click down and moving the mouse. No modifier key is needed to do this. You should be mindful of which direction you are facing when you release the right click though, as you will immediately turn to face that direction.

Edited by Orizuru

I really need to pay closer attention to the datetime stamps on posts when replying. I didn't realize someone had necro'd this thread right away. lol

To the guy above me who revived this topic... You should be able to rotate your camera simply by holding the right click down and moving the mouse. No modifier key is needed to do this. You should be mindful of which direction you are facing when you release the right click though, as you will immediately turn to face that direction.

I know this, but I use ctrl as a modifier for other keybinds. In combat I like to use my camera (right click) to strafe and rotate my character, but when I use a bind with ctrl modifier it blocks me from rotating with right mouse button. It's a huge problem for me.

Edited by Jambajobo

I know this, but I use ctrl as a modifier for other keybinds. In combat I like to use my camera (right click) to strafe and rotate my character, but when I use a bind with ctrl modifier it blocks me from rotating with right mouse button. It's a huge problem for me.

Check my sig, maybe one the files I uploaded will do the trick for you or eventually you can remap CTRL to something else with Autohotkey to trick the game into thinking you are not hitting CTRL.

But then you have to rebind CTRL to something else as some game features are locked with CTRL and you can't rebind them in game either.

P.S. I'll be glad to help you if you have difficulties setting it up, let me know.

Check my sig, maybe one the files I uploaded will do the trick for you or eventually you can remap CTRL to something else with Autohotkey to trick the game into thinking you are not hitting CTRL.

But then you have to rebind CTRL to something else as some game features are locked with CTRL and you can't rebind them in game either.

P.S. I'll be glad to help you if you have difficulties setting it up, let me know.

Ty alot, though I'm using an apple keyboard so alt is in a pretty bad place for me. I'm a little familiar with AHK, is it possible to make a script that while in-game swaps places of control and alt? Or would I have to swap it with keytweak or something outside the game.

Ty alot, though I'm using an apple keyboard so alt is in a pretty bad place for me. I'm a little familiar with AHK, is it possible to make a script that while in-game swaps places of control and alt? Or would I have to swap it with keytweak or something outside the game.

Yes you can remap everything to anything even key combinations.

Also you can make it so it only works in specific programs/games. You have to get the program thread name in Windows task manager processes description field..

Something along

IfWinActive Star Wars: The Old Republic

#code begin

Thread, interrupt, 0

;

!LButton::

Thread, Priority, 2147483647

Click down right

exit

;

#code end

IfWinActive

Edited by Deewe

Sir you're a life saver...

A question, there's some way to:

Click RMB -> lock camera.

Click RMB again -> release camera.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.