How to kill soa in hardmode?

My guild Rutilus Nex kills this on a weekly basis on 8 man nightmare difficulty rutilusnex.guildlaunch.com

Phase 1 is pretty simple no need to explain here.

Phase 2 Have the raid stack up in the middle with the tank on the opposite side. Have one person , preferably your sorc healer who is spec'd into instant bubbling call out who is targeted with the orbs in voice chat and also throw a sorc bubble on them immedietly.

The two people who are targeted run through the boss into a V shape pattern and decide whos lightning orb is whos. Soon as a person is selected to be thrown into the air you are safe to pop your lightning orbs. Make sure you pop any defense cooldowns you have or hit your rakata med pack for extra health before popping these orbs. Sometimes they can double tick resulting in higher damage than anticipated. For this very reason i have my low health , armor people like sorcs use endurance stims for this fight. Sometimes our inquisitors can just sprint through the orbs (works now they fixed it) and not take any ticks.

Now the 2nd orb pack that comes out you can pop immedietly soon as you decide who it's on and they have sorc bubbles and personal cooldowns used. The third orbs that come out you want to wait to pop them again due to him throwing someone up again. It goes throw, mindtrap , throw mind,trap every other orb spawn.

As far as the person being thrown into the air make sure no one pops an orb in the middle near the boss. If the tank is targeted with an orb he is safe to run out and pop the orb like anyone else.

Also in phase 2 your tank can be put in a mind trap , we had an off tank assassin just go into dark charge stance right away and tank the boss for a few seconds while we broke the tank out.

Also in phase 2 you want to wait till no one is in the air to push the boss over to 30% transition phase. Wait till the person lands and then push the boss past 30%. You may have to stop dps entirely.

Phase 3 same thing stack in the middle unless the drill is coming down there. Take care of mind traps and orbs till the boss is debuffed with the drill. You don't have to worry about anyone being thrown in this phase. The tank can still be put into a mind trap though. People take care of their orbs is priority then boss dps 2nd priority and mind traps third.

This strategy eliminates alot of rng in the fight. It still sucks when a healer is thrown and another healer is put in a mind trap. Good time for the tank to use cooldowns and any people with heals to help heal the tank till at least one healer is out.

Good luck to you!

Rutilus Nex of The Twin Spears Server

great advice!!!

one question, what is your team comp?

learn to use the minimap. The balls are on there as little red dots. When your name appears in the chat box, run parallel to the balls to see which one is on you, make sure your at 75% health and then run strait at the ball. If you are not at 75% health run to the edge of the platform and kite the ball until you are healed then destroy the ball. Bottom phase balls have priority to everything else even soa. So if soa is down and you have a lightning ball you kill the lightning ball before you go and dps soa.

It sounds like your group may be a little undergeared. Soa hard mode is still tough for our guild and we are nearly full rakata. We have even killed him on nightmare mode. It takes some raid awareness and getting through that second phase consistantly with everyone alive.

I haven't tried grouping up in the middle, sounds like something I will suggest we try though. Also the tank should maintain aggro on the boss when he goes to kill a ball. As long as he has aggro on the boss he can't be mindtrapped. I usually try to taunt the boss right before I go after a ball. After 1.2 the transition from phase two is going to be easier because the balls will despawn.

Edited by Pcolapat

1. Person named for a lightning ball will get THROWN before they reach their ball. Naturally this wipes us since now the ball is loose. This happens only sometimes.

I've heard two things about this (from a "what causes this" standpoint), but regardless of which it is if you are paying attention this does not cause a wipe.

To deal with this mechanic:

1) Have everyone group up right next to Soa.

2) If you have done that correctly, if/when someone is thrown before they blow up the ball, that lightning ball will now travel over and sit next to the boss. So, if this happens the person in the air says "I'm in the air and my ball is still up" or whatever...and everyone looks around and avoids the ball as it travels.

3) It is not going after anyone, if someone else tries to blow it up, tell them that they are stupid (it can't be blown up by anyone except who it is targeting).

4) It is just going to go over and sit there and wait.

at least 90% of the time, the lightning ball will evade and disappear before the person in the air lands, in which case that guy got out of taking 12-18k damage (which is a good thing)

The rest of the time, the lightning ball will still be up when the person lands, it will then move after him. So, he needs heals ASAP (a sorc's lifegrip is also helpful to pull him away fast so he can receive those heals before the ball reaches him).