Blade Storm as a Watchman Sentinal

Bulbasaur

Every post regarding Blade Storm as a Watchman sent says something along the list of AVOID AT ALL COSTS

I know the math, I know the 2x Slash Spam > 1 Bladestorm costing the same focus, and I don't use Blade Storm when I don't have to

But here's the catch... SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO.

Don't say NEVER use Blade Storm because it is an incredibly good situational ability

I use Blade Storm when:

1) I need to get a heavy armored target down to <20% to dispatch - Blade Storm is a Force ability, therefore most damage mitigations are ignored

2) If I'm CC'd or being kited, Blade Storm (and Crippling Blow) are my only two ranged moves that I can use all the time, and you're damn right that I'm going to use both

3) Big burst damage in a short amount of time. When I need to nuke someone fast (rack up some extra damage right as a WZ ends, for example) you're damn right I'm going to hit Merc. Slash, Bladestorm, Dispatch or Master Strike. Basically in any situation where I'm not focusing on my rotation, but more 100% burst damage right there, Blade Storm ends up getting used

So don't say NEVER USE BLADE STORM, because Blade Storm is an unbelievably good situational move; just use it wisely. When you're in melee range, everything is on cooldown, and you have focus to spend, spam slash.

Edited by Bulbasaur

Yep on targets (tanks) where white damage is low, there is a high chance that dispatch will be unable to finish off your target, sometimes it might get outright parried, so it is useful to chain bladestorm immediate as an extra finisher

Bladestorm, I will always love you. The spec I'm in does not matter. I will defend your honor here:

4 focus for bladestorm crit for 2.5k.

4 focus merciless slash crit for 4k.

10m isn't a big gap to catch someone, especially as a watchman. I guess the only time I'd suggest it in reality is if MercSlash is on cooldown (which it sould be).

Often a 2k crit is all you need to kill someone / open them for a Dispatch finish, and 10m might not be much, but Watchman is the most easily kited spec.

Blade Storm's problem is that it doesn't do anything particularly well. It just wanders around in the middle of the effectiveness landscape, doomed to a life of poor effeciency versus slash and having it's damage overshadowed by merc slash. I think that instead of merc slash at the end of watchman, it should have been a huge buff to bladestorm, with a shorter cooldown and a damage buff.

Blade Storm is a kinetic damage ability, and is fully mitigated by armor.

this.

Don't use blade storm unless an operative is using his 100% dodge for 4 or 5 seconds ability...actually use vanish unless he's close to death and use sweep. Just don't use bladestorm!

After reading your post I decided to try using bladestorm instead of slash in pvp. I have been thinking about doing that for a while myself before but you sparked my interest again.

I use slash so seldom in pvp since I use my dots+mercslash first and then they are on the move so I have to jump or run to catch up normally. When i get there it's time to refresh the dots and another mercslash.

What saw yesterday was that bladestorm fills that gap very well since if they run when im surplus focus I now have a debuff I can use at some range+another ranged ability that can still crit for a bit over 2k. It's not something i spam but found myself using it alot more than slash.

Edited by Xzenthal