Is there an actual reason for Republic numbers being so low?

Obilam

Hey,

I've rolled a few Imps before and am now 28 levels through my Sentinel and am just wondering where are all my fellow Republicans?

The Reps numbers seem incredibly low and the market is pretty much non-existant.

That doesnt bother me to much, but i was just wondering if there is an actual reason for this?

Regards

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

I've rolled a few Imps

Could ask yourself that question, and maybe find some sort of answer.

I picked mine randomly on a few servers with diff friends. The one I happened to stick with was Empire because thats where my most active friends were.

Could ask yourself that question, and maybe find some sort of answer.

I picked mine randomly on a few servers with diff friends. The one I happened to stick with was Empire because thats where my most active friends were.

I wanted to be a BH to start with. Then I rolled a sorc.... at the time I had no idea that the Reps numbers were so low.

Does strike me as odd though. There are so many complaints about the war zones.... if people knew that on the Rep side you only queue for a short period of time and (based on my experience) you only get 1 in 20 huttball games...........

Regards

Throwing rocks <<<<< Shooting lightning.

There, I solved your problem.

True I'm afraid.

I have a sage, shadow, sorcerer and assassin and the consular animations are just so 'meh' compared to the inquisitor ones. I wanted to play a jedi not a druid with a glowbat. There are also minor mechanical differences that make the inquistor seem smoother to play.

Because more people are concerned with looking good and having numbers on their side than they are with playing what they truly want to.

I'm a 50 Sentinel, and a basically good person in real life. I made a BH and got to level 10 or so, at which point some Hutt wanted me to hunt down and cut off some dudes head. This dude wasn't evil, he wasn't a criminal (he might have cooked some books, don't recall), he was just trying to provide for his family and make it in the universe. Then I shot him in cold blood, and sawed his head off. I was actually sickened enough by this I deleted the character and started a fresh BH.

But, sadly, this actually appeals to a lot of people. I understand to many, it's just a story, no different than watching a gory movie. Except that these people are rooting for the villain, hoping his plan of mass genocide goes off without a hitch, killing the hero in the process.

Part of my enjoyment of this game was diving into the Jedi Knight role, being good and basically choosing the light-side options that I would naturally pick (although this game is very black and white, there were a few times I would have picked dark-side if not for the impact on my light-side orientation). So I have a hard time understanding a persons desire to shock, torture, kill and play a character without a shred of compassion or humanity. I honestly believe people who ENJOY this are at least slightly twisted themselves. But, I also realize I'm 'projecting' my own view of the matter onto other people, which isn't wholly rational.

The overwhelming server imbalance that occurs on most servers just goes to show that the Empire appeals to more people. Everybody wants to role-play their sick fantasy about being evil, hurting people and getting away with it. It's actually quite a disturbing look at society, imo. The only reason my neighbors haven't killed me in my sleep is because...they fear the consequences? And if those social restrictions were suddenly gone...it's scary to think what barbarians people would become without the law to keep them in check.

This is my opinion:

Lately I have been PVPing a lot more (warzones)

The win / lose ration (for me, again this is on my server and when I play) I normaly get is 10 losses to 1 win.

I am a trooper commando, gunnery tree. Normaly this is how it goes:

1. Game starts

2. 5 sorcerers come running in

3. I get stunned, lighting (crits 6000K damage) stunned again (no whit bar yet) again lighting and I'm dead.

I have full champion gear, and lighting still crits 5000K to 6000K. I have 16K health unbuffed. I last 10 to 15 secs against a single sorcerer.

I'm not the only one. People see this and say. I want that. Thats awesome and roll Empire.

Also allmost all the counterpart skills are faster or better on the Empire. At least for the Trooper/BH/

But I'm not gonna roll a empire. FOR THE REPUBLIC!!! :D

(Again this is my opinion and I have no prove that this happens to other people or other servers)

according to the guild summit. rep numbers arn't as low a you think, the problem with war zones, is, the sort of ppl that are attracted to playing PVP happen to be the same sort of ppl that like to go empire. i can see the connection

I'm generally a trusting person (stupid, I know) so I deliberately force myself to suspect EVERYTHING. And I truly believe those numbers were wrong (on purpose, a lie from BW). They couldn't come out and say 'Oh look, you're all wrong, it's 50/50 even' because we aren't that stupid. But let me drop this tidbit on you...

Pre-launch, you were allowed to form a guild through the BW website. I did this with three other friends, and went Republic. The day of launch, the website showed the distribution of guilds on my specific server, Daragon Trail.

At LAUNCH, on the 13th of December, there were over 240 Imp guilds pre-registered. There were fewer than 80 Republic guilds. Now, of course the size of the guild was not listed, but if you break it down and assume, for the sake of argument, that each guild was just 4 people, that's over a 3 to 1 ratio in favor of Imps. And if those numbers continued in that direction, I genuinely believe my server (can't speak for others) has at least a 4:1 Empire/Republic distribution.

At any given time, Empire Fleet ALWAYS has a minimum of twice as many people as Republic Fleet, I check it almost every day (I'm keeping a log). Yesterday, Saturday, at 7pm Pacific time, Emp Fleet had 289 players. Republic had 67. Is this scientific? Of course not. Is it indicative of something? Absolutely. Only a moron would disregard these numbers as irrelevant.

I'm generally a trusting person (stupid, I know) so I deliberately force myself to suspect EVERYTHING. And I truly believe those numbers were wrong (on purpose, a lie from BW). They couldn't come out and say 'Oh look, you're all wrong, it's 50/50 even' because we aren't that stupid. But let me drop this tidbit on you...

Pre-launch, you were allowed to form a guild through the BW website. I did this with three other friends, and went Republic. The day of launch, the website showed the distribution of guilds on my specific server, Daragon Trail.

At LAUNCH, on the 13th of December, there were over 240 Imp guilds pre-registered. There were fewer than 80 Republic guilds. Now, of course the size of the guild was not listed, but if you break it down and assume, for the sake of argument, that each guild was just 4 people, that's over a 3 to 1 ratio in favor of Imps. And if those numbers continued in that direction, I genuinely believe my server (can't speak for others) has at least a 4:1 Empire/Republic distribution.

At any given time, Empire Fleet ALWAYS has a minimum of twice as many people as Republic Fleet, I check it almost every day (I'm keeping a log). Yesterday, Saturday, at 7pm Pacific time, Emp Fleet had 289 players. Republic had 67. Is this scientific? Of course not. Is it indicative of something? Absolutely. Only a moron would disregard these numbers as irrelevant.

I think that's the problem with Georg's graph: it's an average, and doesn't do much for the player on one of the more skewed servers who has a real problem with his experience in the game.

Still, a good portion of their changes in 1.2 and their more long-term road-map discussions suggest some improvement for this.

This is my opinion:

Lately I have been PVPing a lot more (warzones)

The win / lose ration (for me, again this is on my server and when I play) I normaly get is 10 losses to 1 win.

I am a trooper commando, gunnery tree. Normaly this is how it goes:

1. Game starts

2. 5 sorcerers come running in

3. I get stunned, lighting (crits 6000K damage) stunned again (no whit bar yet) again lighting and I'm dead.

I have full champion gear, and lighting still crits 5000K to 6000K. I have 16K health unbuffed. I last 10 to 15 secs against a single sorcerer.

I'm not the only one. People see this and say. I want that. Thats awesome and roll Empire.

Also allmost all the counterpart skills are faster or better on the Empire. At least for the Trooper/BH/

But I'm not gonna roll a empire. FOR THE REPUBLIC!!! :D

(Again this is my opinion and I have no prove that this happens to other people or other servers)

5-6 million damage ehh?

On my server I'd say the empire outnumbers the republic 2:1 but that's close to the standard on a PvP server. I recently rerolled republic to test it out and it feels so much more like star wars on republic side, so much so that I'm sticking with the republic. I think with the legacy system more people will try out the republic side of things and come to the same conclusion me and a few of my friends have. That republic feels like star wars and empire feels like a normal sci-fi MMO with the darth title.

I think that's the problem with Georg's graph: it's an average, and doesn't do much for the player on one of the more skewed servers who has a real problem with his experience in the game.

Still, a good portion of their changes in 1.2 and their more long-term road-map discussions suggest some improvement for this.

Sadly true, I've been lead to believe there are at least one or two servers where the imbalance favors Republic. I believe it, but...not without seeing it for myself.

I'm 50, 400 crafting/gathering, full champion+, rakata...I'm settled. I can't leave this server. And now I have to deal with it or quit. I don't have a constructive answer for how this could have been avoided, but damn it is beyond frustrating. However, with the recent change to PvP dailies, I don't even have to set foot on Ilum (the worst part of being outnumbered) so it's not as bad.

The overwhelming server imbalance that occurs on most servers just goes to show that the Empire appeals to more people. Everybody wants to role-play their sick fantasy about being evil, hurting people and getting away with it. It's actually quite a disturbing look at society, imo. The only reason my neighbors haven't killed me in my sleep is because...they fear the consequences? And if those social restrictions were suddenly gone...it's scary to think what barbarians people would become without the law to keep them in check.

Let me offer another perspective. My hubby and I decided to play Republic early on so we decided to roll up Empire characters during beta since we thought that we would never play them and didn't want to ruin the story. Guess what.....the Sith Warrior story absolutely pulled my spouse in and we talked long and hard about this but at the end, decided to play Empire. The story, the voices are fantastic. (Quite frankly, the male Jedi voice sounds a bit blah). I don't like the dark grim look of the Empire and eventually we will play Republic characters but right now, we are enjoying the storylines and want to finish off our Empire characters.

Early on, I decided to roll up a very cold looking Sith Inquisitor and decided to go dark. I got her up to 40 or something and decided that I just can't stand her or the choices I had made. I rolled up another SI (with a different name and looks) and mostly have made light choices. I do make an occasional dark choice---for example if I am sparing a psychopath's life and would have to make a light choice over putting him out of his misery, I would probably pick the dark choice. From an RP aspect, both of us are light Sith and perhaps our ways can change the Empire. We would have made better Jedi however we are doing our best with the situation we are in. I also have a BH and I mostly have made light choices. She is a good person, wants her credits. But she isn't a ruthless killer who just enjoys killing for the heck of it. I am kind to my companions and generally an empathetic person to them and other NPCs.

The point in my rambling is that not all of us are playing twisted, evil characters. After my ill fated experiment with playing a dark character, I just can't do it. It goes against my nature. She will sit there on her ship and eventually get deleted however who knows, perhaps with the legacy system, we can make a one time advanced class switch (just hoping but not too hopeful).

I play on an RP server and when we do create our Republic characters, will probably do so on another server. Any suggestions on healthy Republic populations? Looking at Ebon Hawk as a possibility. Hubby isn't that enthralled with our current server.

Edited by Florial

Let me offer another perspective. My hubby and I decided to play Republic early on so we decided to roll up Empire characters during beta since we thought that we would never play them and didn't want to ruin the story. Guess what.....the Sith Warrior story absolutely pulled my spouse in and we talked long and hard about this but at the end, decided to play Empire. The story, the voices are fantastic. (Quite frankly, the male Jedi voice sounds a bit blah). I don't like the dark grim look of the Empire and eventually we will play Republic characters but right now, we are enjoying the storylines and want to finish off our Empire characters.

Early on, I decided to roll up a very cold looking Sith Inquisitor and decided to go dark. I got her up to 40 or something and decided that I just can't stand her or the choices I had made. I rolled up another SI (with a different name and looks) and mostly have made light choices. I do make an occasional dark choice---for example if I am sparing a psychopath's life and would have to make a light choice over putting him out of his misery, I would probably pick the dark choice. From an RP aspect, both of us are light Sith and perhaps our ways can change the Empire. We would have made better Jedi however we are doing our best with the situation we are in. I also have a BH and I mostly have made light choices. She is a good person, wants her credits. But she isn't a ruthless killer who just enjoys killing for the heck of it. I am kind to my companions and generally an empathetic person to them and other NPCs.

The point in my rambling is that not all of us are playing twisted, evil characters. After my ill fated experiment with playing a dark character, I just can't do it. It goes against my nature. She will sit there on her ship and eventually get deleted however who knows, perhaps with the legacy system, we can make a one time advanced class switch (just hoping but not too hopeful).

I play on an RP server and when we do create our Republic characters, will probably do so on another server. Any suggestions on healthy Republic populations? Looking at Ebon Hawk as a possibility.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I just meant dark-side Imps. You're basically the same as me. I have a Sorc and a Merc, just below 20. Both are good people, get the job done, without the unnecessary cruelty. I can actually get into that, while being evil for evil's sake turns me off. But I'm willing to go out on a limb and bet that at least...perhaps 75% of Imps go dark-side, for various reasons. They think it's expected of them, or they just want the evil look, or my theory, they like to role play (even if they aren't actual RP) the whole 'I'll kill you while chuckling evilly and not give it a second thought, because I'd never get away with this in real life'.

I could be completely wrong, on the number of evil Imps and their reasons for doing it. I can't wrap my head around anything else though.

That is just the most pathetic thing i have ever heard

Well I certainly don't agree 100% with the OP however when people are getting a kick out of shocking Vette and discussed it endlessly when the game was just out, I do have to wonder sometimes.

I remember running a FP, making a light sided choice and winning the roll. One player griped at me. "Dude, a light sith, what the flubber (well his didn't say flubber but I got bleeped our on my post, hehe)?"

Edited by Florial

I often take the "evil" choice in games. Not because I am a sociopath, but because that is the way I choose to play my character. I have been playing ME3 this week and have chosen mostly the "good" choices, or things that would be for the greater good.

It seems like you are suggesting people are physiologicaly evil due to playing the game a certain way. So I say again, it's just a game, nothing more.

It doesn't mean people are strange or mentally ill in real life, it just means they wish to play the game that way. To suggest otherwise, I personally find ridiculous and somewhat offensive.

To put it another way, you are reading waaaaaay too much in to such a simple statistic.

Edited by Paralassa
rude

I am 100% convinced that a lot of the imbalance comes from the nature of the lack of consequences for actions that the internet seems to breed. So, to the person that gets on the internet and acts like a fool in ways that they would never act in front of other people, the dark side is a natural choice.

Then we need to chat sigmund, because being an evil D-bag that kills women & children in role playing games has never appealed to me.

I really do think that had all classes been open to everyone then you pick your faction through choices in the game that either there would be no imbalance or the imbalance would be in the republic's favor.

Your post doesn't make any sense mate. Your first sentence indicates you want to talk to me because something bad doesn't appeal to you. What is the point of this statement?

I was simply stating that the choices in a game does not necessarily mean a person is "disturbed" in real life.

If the "evil" choices don't appeal to you then fine, like I was saying. It does not necessarily have any bearing on a persons character. (their real life personality)

Again, your second sentence is not really relevant to what I said. I actually agree with it though.

As I said, I was simply trying to point out that people aren't "good" or "evil" due to how they play games.