Repair Costs Far Too High Endgame

DPFlavius

Meaning that to be a raider in TOR, you not only need the time to raid, but you need to be able to spend a couple more hours online every day. That's just horrible design.

Expecting to do all these things and have no consequences is horrible gamesmanship and pisspoor game management by the player.

There's nothing wrong with repair costs.

Get better or expect consequences for your actions.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it mianly to teach us not to die and to help leach some money off of the servers.

althought perosnaly i not yet seena repair bill so big it made me double take. highest i sene to date been maybe 7k(oranges and purples wiht lvl 48+mods in them) then gain i repair after 3 deaths to be on the safe side if in a long drawn out fights happen ,did ntow atn gear to break in the middle of anyhting lol.

I've never liked the "repairs" system in the first place, whatever the cost.

Played plenty MMORPGs without it and never missed it, it never does what it was originally intended to do anyway.

It gives consequence to one's actions.

That in and of itself is reason enough to have it in-game.

Repair costs are fine.

What isn't fine is how poor OPs bosses are. I think the best was killing Jarg/Sorno in KP and getting around 75 creds per person(8man).

Huh? Why should a fight like this reward credits at all when you're getting raid drops? Hell, I don't even notice anymore what stuff drops. I just click absent mindedly moving on to pay attn to the next encounter.

This must be a troll.

edit: also it's funny you chose this boss fight for this post. I have never been in a wipe in normal or hard on this particular encounter. It's like you can do it forever even if people keep missing sorno's heals or don't kill the droid right away. Come on.

Edited by Kaelano

It gives consequence to one's actions.

That in and of itself is reason enough to have it in-game.

It doesn't though.

It only ever came in as a "lite" version of real penalties such as exp loss and level loss on death.

Also most dammingly games without it don't suffer from not having it at all.

As there is no real point too it.

It's just another example of copying WoW when not copying WoW is a better option.

Edited by Goretzu

I hope it's all legit, they have their eye on you(even if it's not legit)

it is legit.

i dont know how u can get creds a none legit way. all ive been doing is sending out companions and crafting epic spaceship stuff(it sells rly good on my server and theyr are cheap to make)

maybe i have so much money cuz i never rly bought anything from gtn exept barrels to my blasters on my merc,and i didnt buy a 110% speeder i crafted mine(only have 3 speeders:90%,100%,110%).

and i loot everything from mobs even the grey items.

and it also might be that i havnt been raiding anything yet(tho ive gotten some pretty heffy repbills from hms like 30k+)

and i do all the bonus quests etc

Expecting to do all these things and have no consequences is horrible gamesmanship and pisspoor game management by the player.

There's nothing wrong with repair costs.

Get better or expect consequences for your actions.

Thank you for assuming that whoever complains is a poor gamer. I don't claim to be an excellent gamer (I am not), but I try to keep up on my theorycrafting and optimize keybinds/mouse/etc to play correctly.

I just happen to :

- play in a casual guild built around groups of RL friends where not everyone has the same level (hint : friends means that no, I'm not going to change guilds just to get a bigger e-peen)

- have an actual RL, complete with job, wife and kids, which has a tendancy to put a dent in anyone's game schedule

Beyond that, thank you for stating exactly the problem with this situation : you require game management just to be able to afford raiding. This is a frigging game, not a second job. I enjoy raiding with friends and have done so for years on "that other MMO", but it's never been as punitive as TOR is.

I'm not saying making credits is difficult. It's ridiculously easy. But given the choice between spending an hour a day mindlessly farming to pay repair bills and actually enjoying myself pvp'ing or exploring other classes' main quests ... I'd much rather enjoy myself.

TL;DR : forcing us to farm has absolutely no point. If there's too much money in the game, let them create actual gold sinks.

OK, just bump if you agree that repair costs at high levels are just excruciating.

I mean starting with columi and so you need to produce a lot of money just to keep up with repairs. Personaly i think this is a frustrating part of gameplay and it should be adjusted.

I don't expect no costs at all but this is ridiculous. This IMO does need tending Bioware.

So please post here if you agree and want a change.

I would disagree with this except that they should drop the price until they can fix thier buggy ops. A night wiping on SOA HM/NiM because of bugs can cost upwards of 200k repair bill. Once they iron out all bugs I think the costs will be fine.

i dont know even why you are debating this, the repair cost is a completely unnecessary mechanic that adds nothing to the game except additional unneeded stress on, as bw said themselves, some 80% of the players Wasted time is punishment enough for everybody i know.

Games are supposed to be fun, being literally forced to do something in a game is not fun. I mean, i need to earn money just so i can go to guild ops, instead of spending it on the market or whatever.

Surely economy would profit as well, if there wasnt greedy repairmen (banker khm) black hole sucking all our money!

And if i want to only play ops and nothing else i should be able to do so, simple as that, the pvp guys can, and they earn money doing what they like, its like double win for pvp.

Now for those that argue to have millions in the bank.....shut up

• 2 weeks later...
Stop flopping around dying so much in pve. Be a better player and use medpaks, kite, or whatever else is a constructive use of game mechanics to not die.

Reward sometimes requires risk. If you hang with people who cause wipes, be prepared to pay the price.

This isn't a thread about 'playing better', it's a discussion about economies of scale. Personally, from what I've seen from raiders and what I already know in-game, it seems like repair bills take a larger chunk of our budgets. And I'm not comparing just repair bills to other MMO's, I'm comparing the ratio to amount spent vs typical earnings to the same ratio in other MMO's. Without doing a ton of data analysis, it still seems high.

BioWare seems to be under the impression that adding stupid and unnecessary grinding mechanics like this are somehow going to extend the longevity of their game when all they do is reduce the fun factor even further. Edited by TwwIX

I agree repairs are way too high for us players that don't play during prime time. So many L50 players think it's easy because they have a full group and do dailies every night. That's great for you guys, but many of us are not that fortunate. I play late night, and even though I'm in a guild I still can rarely find someone. Since I can't farm npcs without costing me more in repair bills than I can make, I have no viable way to make a healthy amount of credits. I didn't start doing ship missions because I could not afford to upgrade my companions and my ship gear. So now I'm left with white missions that don't make me much and green missions I can't complete due to having low end gear. When I run out of missions, I'm not sure what I can do from an occasional daily group. So to all of you that think it's pud to make credits, think about if you were doing it on your own day in day out. :mad: Edited by Innocences

• 2 weeks later...

Casual players definitely are forced to farm. Dying two times during an heroic on Ilum will end it with a loss. I hate farming for credits. If you are a casual lvl 50, don't do anything risky, or you'll be forced to farm or to grind to make up for the loss.

An average mission gains you about 10K credits, while the average death cost me about 6K. So if I die twice, I'll end up with a loss.

Forcing me to do PvP on an PvE server is not working either. I don't do that. Trading doesn't work for the average casual player. You hardily find anything that sells within 2 days on the Galactic Market.

Edited by Ethice

Really? You are complaining about repair costs in this game?

I played a game where repair costs on a flawless run would get into 200k easily, and money was not easy to come by. Most I get on bad runs in hard modes is 30k. It is extremely cheap and easily subsided just by having a small amount of knowledge on how to make money.

The jump is definitely extreme when you get to Rakata gear.

Prior to Columi I had no issues with the Repair costs. Columi gear was the first real bump in expenses but still not problematic. A full evening of progression would typically cost me about 50.000 credits. Fair enough...

But even the 4 extra item levels from Rakata gear make a huge difference. I'm now looking at roughly 80.000 credits per progression night.

I still don't really have a problem with that since not every night is a progression night and you can escape quite a few wipes by leaving the instance. I'm just concerned what this means for the future, when bosses are dropping and additional 6 item-levels of loot. Am I looking at 150.000 credits per progression night?

But even so, I don't mind having to invest into raiding. That's fine and a little undervalued I think.

It just sucks when even stupid deaths in trivial content result in a 5000 credit repair bill every time you do it. Died during a Daily? Then that Daily was essentially for nothing.

Raiding being expensive is fine. It sucks however when even trivial content becomes a money leech.

I have a synthweaver and I have made some that way but millions still seems so far away.

BTW sorry to see ya go game is great and will get better.

Just do dailies.

Seriously, they take about 1.5 hrs a day and get you ~250k creds just from the quests alone. Then you can sell the purple armorings and mods that drop from the heroic quests for ~20k each. In addition, if you save up, after about 5 days of dailies, you can get a rakata implant and sell it for ~1million creds. All told you should be able to get 2million creds within a week (or after 2 weekends if you only play every Fri-Sat-Sun).

well wrote, I'm in the same boat and I would rather have fun than spend my first two hours just doing repetitive dailies. :mad: It should only take 30-45 mins to do them.

Thank you for assuming that whoever complains is a poor gamer. I don't claim to be an excellent gamer (I am not), but I try to keep up on my theorycrafting and optimize keybinds/mouse/etc to play correctly.

I just happen to :

- play in a casual guild built around groups of RL friends where not everyone has the same level (hint : friends means that no, I'm not going to change guilds just to get a bigger e-peen)

- have an actual RL, complete with job, wife and kids, which has a tendancy to put a dent in anyone's game schedule

Beyond that, thank you for stating exactly the problem with this situation : you require game management just to be able to afford raiding. This is a frigging game, not a second job. I enjoy raiding with friends and have done so for years on "that other MMO", but it's never been as punitive as TOR is.

I'm not saying making credits is difficult. It's ridiculously easy. But given the choice between spending an hour a day mindlessly farming to pay repair bills and actually enjoying myself pvp'ing or exploring other classes' main quests ... I'd much rather enjoy myself.

TL;DR : forcing us to farm has absolutely no point. If there's too much money in the game, let them create actual gold sinks.