The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Cross-Server PvP is upcoming - Why?

ZeusThunder

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because we play a game thats set during a period of galactic war, yet 90 percent of my games are against my faction playing space football?

you have two tiers of pvp post 1.2, some servers may not have the population to support 2 different arenas (ranked/nonranked). That's excluding anything related to non 50 pvp.

I kind of like playing with and against people I know on my server. The only advantage I see to cross server Qs would be to lower Q times and have a larger pool of people to play.

I'd be more in favor of server merges, instead of cross faction Qs. Keep the community feel, just increase it in number.

Because if you don't cross server then rankings will be skewed and irrelevent and there will not be any real competitive pvp.

Also, ques will take longer and you will see more "mixed' matches which again is not good for ladders.

Also, there will be less people in the que so there will be more win trading with alts for artificial rating increases

Also, you'll fight the same 3 teams over and over again

Also, people will que dodge teams that start to do well when match making becomes more predictable because of fewer people in que

Also, and finally most importantly, there is no PVP community already. It's a fantasy and if you think you have a reputation on your server I assure you that's a fantasy too. No one knows you anymore than republic or imperial #5 aside from maybe a handful of people on your server and those people will continue to know you after cross server ques.

Are there any more reasons you need or would you like me to keep going? Because I could do this all day.

They're doing it just to troll you bro. Obviously, your opinion is representative of everyone that plays the game and theres no way noone else wants cross server Qing. Dont know about you but Im gonna buy 10 subs then UNSUB all of them immediately and make posts for each one.

I kind of like playing with and against people I know on my server. The only advantage I see to cross server Qs would be to lower Q times and have a larger pool of people to play.

I'd be more in favor of server merges, instead of cross faction Qs. Keep the community feel, just increase it in number.

THIS but server merges will NOT happen anytime soon... so for many servers, cross-faction is needed.

HOWEVER - it MUST be an OPTION - not now all matches will be cross-server. But like you can go ranked or unranked WZs, you should be able to choose server or cross server WZ. I know many on my server would choose server vs server. And slow late times when pop is low can choose cross-server.

I think BW said it would be optional you don't have to go cross-server. And of course can still group regardless. But it is nice facing opponents you know and that community.

THIS but server merges will NOT happen anytime soon... so for many servers, cross-faction is needed.

HOWEVER - it MUST be an OPTION - not now all matches will be cross-server. But like you can go ranked or unranked WZs, you should be able to choose server or cross server WZ. I know many on my server would choose server vs server. And slow late times when pop is low can choose cross-server.

I think BW said it would be optional you don't have to go cross-server. And of course can still group regardless. But it is nice facing opponents you know and that community.

Rated WZs have to always be Cross server or it would be way too open to exploitation in the form of win-trading and que dodging etc.

I agree though, I see nothing wrong with unrated games having a server only box... other than the fact that it would fracture the que times even more and probably would be slow to the point of being unusable. But if it's that important I think they shoudl totally have it as an option.

So we've already lost this debate, but in my mind the best solution would be something where the top 1-2 teams on a server (based on server size) get to do WZs against top teams from other servers. That way ranked WZs get to actually mean something which is definitely a must for rankings. However, we get to keep the comunity for the most part because the top team or two on each server has to defend its ranking against challengers from their own server.

If que times got rediculous ( I mean 20 min +) non rated treams could be pulled from different servers to battle, but this seems like a great way to make ratings more competative, more meaningful, and keep community.

I'm not a fan of cross-server anything. I prefer to have active server communities. That being said, it doesn't mean I don't understand the need for cross-server applications and SWTOR needs it for a number of reasons. I'm not selfish enough to say SWTOR doesn't need cross-server just because I don't like it.

asking the community if they want it? rofl

just implement everything world of warcraft has,no need to ask the community.thats what they want,world of starwarscraft

and active server communitys? i guess,but you wont find it here.this is a casual mmo so have fun finding an active community

Edited by CrunkShizzle

Well, I see your points but on the other side of that same coin there's people like me. Where the issue is, my server doesn't have a TON of people so when we Q, it usually takes a long time to get a WZ to pop.

I see this problem becoming exacerbated for my server and others like mine, in 1.2, without cross server Qing.

Why is it coming? Because 90% of the servers don't have sufficient people to keep PvP matches going without it... over the course of a month I went from waiting seconds to get into a match to waiting for 20-30 minutes... only to have it close because their aren't enough people or have the match start 4/8 and give the other side a huge advantage... it's not fun, no one likes it and it cannot continue. That's why...

Has it occurred to Bioware to even ask the community if they want this? There is a fantastic in-game polling system that is never used. What if 75% of the community DOES NOT want cross-server PvP?

I'd be curious to see what the reasoning is behind this upcoming change. The general things associated to cross-server PvP are:

- Complete lack of community, you'll never see the people you had a match with ever again.

- Complete lack of peer pressure to play well and not do things like AFK the whole match.

- For those on heavily populated servers, the queues would become longer than they are now.

- The goal of PvP becomes to have your name on top of a leaderboard with 1 million plus other people that you've never met before.

Bioware many people don't care about how they rank against people on other servers. They want to compete against and play with the people that they can actually interact with afterwards. They want to play a MMO, not BF3 with lightsabers.

I have yet to see Bioware even address this. Do they have a better system? Do they recognize these issues exist but don't care? Has any community research been done at all before deciding this was the direction you wanted to go?

During development it was stated Bioware would listen to their players. I have yet to see this. I see some responses to people on the forums (which is not even close to being everyone) and nothing else.

Short answer is to postpone doing what needs to be done... merge some servers.

Cross server PVP isn't as bad as if they try to push cross server LFG for PVE on us. Hopefully if that ever comes up, and i'm sure it will with some of the server pops, they'll get such a backlash that finally merging some servers will be the only option left.

I would also take cross server IMP vs REB over more infaction WZs. Those are no good for the community nor the faction balance, IMO.

Cross faction wz is a bad idea. Community is what makes a good MMO from a bad one. If you must do cross faction, maybe just break it into small battlegroups, like 3 server per battlegroup. Or whatever the realm forums are doing with the group servers.

So what's the point of having a war raging on your server if you are going to be whisked off to another server to fight their's. I never understood the cross-server thing. Our servers already feel dead. Is sending people elsewhere for fights going to help that?

So what's the point of having a war raging on your server if you are going to be whisked off to another server to fight their's. I never understood the cross-server thing. Our servers already feel dead. Is sending people elsewhere for fights going to help that?

If you're dropping into RP reasons for doing or not doing something I don't think it matters what anyone is gonna say BUT the reasons are:

1) To get a true worldwide ranking of players & teams

2) Be able to hold tournaments with thousands more teams than an individual server (especially as small as the SWTOR servers are) could generate

3) Reduce or eliminate queue times

I personally care a lot more about quality competition than I do "community" which IMO is imaginary in MMOs and has been for a very long time.

I'm all for this. On my server the Empire outnumbers the Republic by about 5:1 but don't let that deceive you. There are about 3 very skilled, coordinated and battlemaster geared Republic PVP guilds which are constantly in the queue while the Empire's PVP guilds are mediocre at best from what I've faced off against in huttball.

With the above in mind, it is not uncommon that the 3 warzone win daily quest becomes more of a weekly and the 9 warzone win weekly quest can take over a week since you can end up spending an entire day fighting the same 3 teams which mop the floor with every Empire team they encounter and essentially have a monopoly on warzone wins. That is unacceptable but I realize it's not Bioware's fault, it's simply the state of my server but that doesn't mean there aren't measures Bioware can take to prevent it.

I would be in favor of any system that they consider implementing which would give me a larger pool of players to team with, and a larger pool of players to team against. It would also be nice if the teams were formed based off of your expertise level (ie. My expertise is 573 so the game queues me with players with a similar expertise level).

I would also agree with one of the previous individuals who commented that cross server queues have worked very well and have been very balanced in other MMOs.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by Fyrin

Has it occurred to Bioware to even ask the community if they want this? There is a fantastic in-game polling system that is never used. What if 75% of the community DOES NOT want cross-server PvP?

I'd be curious to see what the reasoning is behind this upcoming change. The general things associated to cross-server PvP are:

- Complete lack of community, you'll never see the people you had a match with ever again.

- Complete lack of peer pressure to play well and not do things like AFK the whole match.

- For those on heavily populated servers, the queues would become longer than they are now.

- The goal of PvP becomes to have your name on top of a leaderboard with 1 million plus other people that you've never met before.

Bioware many people don't care about how they rank against people on other servers. They want to compete against and play with the people that they can actually interact with afterwards. They want to play a MMO, not BF3 with lightsabers.

I have yet to see Bioware even address this. Do they have a better system? Do they recognize these issues exist but don't care? Has any community research been done at all before deciding this was the direction you wanted to go?

During development it was stated Bioware would listen to their players. I have yet to see this. I see some responses to people on the forums (which is not even close to being everyone) and nothing else.

Fear not, your community of people standing next to the mission box in the Combat Training Area will remain in tact. Those people will still be there when you leave your warzone, just as they were when you entered it.

Edited by KiranK