Is SWG a factor for the Dev Team?

mattgyver

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would really like to see some things that SWG had. Multiplayer vehicles were cool, So were player gunships. Space in general had so much potential. 50 vs 50 space battles with 3 gunships a side were so awesome. Especially when you had everybody in different "squadrons" made of different ship types, bombers, interceptors, multirole etc... TOR could learn a lot from that aspect of the game.

^ It did , what not to do in a MMO!

MMO's were a loooot less mainstream in 2003 when swg launched.

But yet before SWG , EQ had a high sub base than SWG . Heck even UP had more Subs than SWG , 2003 was a young point for MMOs but they still had high subs compared to SWG, WoW year later had and still has higher subs than SWG ever had!

i'd agree the space was unique, but it could have been so much better.

I like the solo rollercoaster ride SWTOR has for space combat but do wish their was open maps where you could go where you wanted and battled as you wanted like STO allowed or even more .

I didn't play SWG space combat but I don't think it was offered when I played it.

how much did this game spend on advertising ?

I think SOE and LA tried hard in the begining but after a year the ads were not so much. WoW to this day is the strongest pusher for ads out of any MMO in history.

SWTOR doesn't do as many Ads as it should and I think the 7 day trial was a bit late, I would have done that from the getgo to help get more poeple into the game .

'

I like the solo rollercoaster ride SWTOR has for space combat but do wish their was open maps where you could go where you wanted and battled as you wanted like STO allowed or even more .

I didn't play SWG space combat but I don't think it was offered when I played it.

it was the first expansion pack, jump to lightspeed, but it didnt stop there.

Space ended up very very good, even if it wasnt my thing, it was very uniqe. Player ships capable of holding a full group of players, the Gunships were a factor i'd like to see in any mmo....a vehicle that could only be controlled fully by a group of people. A pilot, an operations controller(used for certain buffs to the ship,shield shunts, shield enforcement etc etc and ofc, space for 6 gunners.

I dont have a problem with space in this game but im more of a ground PVPer, so really isnt my place to comment.

I miss being able to travel the entire length of a map, explore every single mountain.. sure it's boring for some, but plonking a house in the middle of the desert, decking it out with crafting machines, foraging for resources.. that was fun for me, and I miss it.

I miss being able to travel the entire length of a map, explore every single mountain.. sure it's boring for some, but plonking a house in the middle of the desert, decking it out with crafting machines, foraging for resources.. that was fun for me, and I miss it.

/agree

one can only hope that swg and soe are complete non-factors when it comes to swtor development. the only things swg offer are purely cosmetic.

** aside from JTL **

Player bounties would be a very fun addition. true it would only be for bounty hunters. but it would be fun. maybe make it for all classes but have it somehow be different....idk but i certainly could see it in the future for people who are pissed from being stalked by a level 50 or something...bounty = interesting end game. imo. but i never got to do much of it on star wars galaxy so maybe it was not as fun as it seems in print...

From the immense pool of ideas that SWG offered, not a single one was used in SWTOR.....i dont understand what you wondering about.

A better question would be what is the attitude towards wow and rift, because swtor tried to replicate those two games, not swg.

Much as i hate this fact, i cant blame them, swg didnt do well, while rift and wow seem to be doing fine.....sadly.

Like someone else said, the combat upgrade in swg killed it.

It took an awesome game that had 32 professions, all unique and very fun in their own light, and then dumbed it down to 8. This was the catalyst that killed SWG.

I especially enjoyed the combat medics, various other types of melee, TONS of awesome gear and items from the craftable professions... but most of all I enjoyed the non-raid groups of 20 people. THAT was uber. No other mmo has come close to that degree of epic-ness.

I have to think they looked at it, after all some of these guys are huge SW franchise fans... or they wouldnt be in this business.

I have to say I really wanted SWG to be the great game that broke out of the Fantasy MMO mold. I was there in the first days when the devs were talking to the player base on the forums. They had a really bold vision of a 3 faction world (yes three, the Hutta faction was the third) where players would create their own cities, create their own quest content for each other, and inhabit living breathing worlds.

Problem is so few of these ideas made it into the game on release. The third faction was axed , the resource system worked in such a way that a planet could be drained of resources in less than a day, leaving ppl who wanted to craft at the mercy of big conglomerate harvester concerns. The combat system was indescribably bad imo.

So many of the ideas I had fallen for on the dev forums were simply not there.

SWG was a better game to me then SWTOR. I love both, but as far as immersion, and content SWG wins by far. I wasn't there on Day one for SWG, and I wasn't there the last few days. I was in testing for TOR, and have been playing since. I still to this day play SWG as well(SWGEmu, its pre-NGE). For people to say SWG was a failure is like saying Mark Hamill was a bad choice for Luke Skywalker. SWG, like Hamill, were great at what they did, but both are dated, and a lot of people will not play(or watch) things that are not current. SWG was more for the hardcore gamer, where as TOR is for casuals. TOR is the best MMO as far as questing goes, but that's where I draw the line on what ways I think its better then SWG. SWG had the best crafting system I had ever used, the most balanced PvP, player cities, player BOUNTIES, The Battle of Hoth FFS. The space combat was the best in any game ever, it was a flight simulator basically, with fully upgradeable ships that had to be repaired. I know this is an opinion based topic, and in my opinion, SWG was, and still is, the better game. SWG didn't "fail" because it was a bad game, it didn't "fail" at all. SWG had such a small fan base because of one simple fact: It appealed to hardcore gamers, not casuals. SoE/LA's attempt to appeal to casuals on the other hand, failed miserably.

EDIT: For grammatical justice.

Edited by JediMasterStowe

Nope. Lucas arts attempted to tople WOW with the NGE when WOW stole SWG subscribers and found they made a huge mistake.

The playerbase were angry and the game floundered and only the diehard starwars fans and few sandboxers really stuck it out.

So, Lucas Arts left SOE and SWG in order to build somthing else to beat out WOW. That is what you have here, SWTOR . A game designed to steal subs from WOW.

Is SWG a factor, not really. WOW is all LA was thinking about when it came to a new Starwars MMO.

When "lucas" is part of the company name you can gurantee one thing, its all about the benjamins. (yeah, i just used that).

What is funny is that when folks say SWG, what I hear is 'sandbox'. Considering that BW games have tended to always have 'sandbox' elements in them, I'm guessing that more purely optional 'sandbox' elements will be added to TOR in the future.

What is funny is that when folks say SWG, what I hear is 'sandbox'. Considering that BW games have tended to always have 'sandbox' elements in them, I'm guessing that more purely optional 'sandbox' elements will be added to TOR in the future.

Grand theft Auto series are all considered Sandbox but are clearly no more Sandbox than TOR , this sandbox talk really is not worth debating as not many games are Sandbox as they claim to be.

SWG was Sims in Space , with really nothing to do but wander , chat , play house , and chat somemore

• 9 months later...

IMO, the only things that SWG had wrong pre-CU were the learning curve, and the grinding. It was extremely innovative in many ways, even if they couldn't fit in many of the features they had wanted to include (such as the third faction).

I loved the fact that the crafting system allowed crafters and merchants to become a fully realized and vital part of the game, rather than just a tacked on afterthought like it is in every other game I've seen.

Not to mention that it's the *only* game to date that I know of that had entertainers as a character type. For those who were more interested in a social playstyle, what better way than to give buffs by providing entertainment to the troops between battles?

Player bounties were another innovation. There was also the fact that whatever species you played could speak both basic (except for wookiees) and their native language, and others could learn your language just by hearing it in conversations.

Not to mention player cities.

All SWTOR really has is Bioware's skill at creating good stories (primarily for single-player games, and their translation of it into MMO form is proving less than ideal, IMO).

I'd think of more, but I have christmas shopping to do. :D

If they took the crafting / character creation / city building / Space combat parts of the sandbox and merged it with what SWTOR currently has, they would have a very solid immersive game that people would flock to.

Well, this would be just perfect. Player housing and actual space combat that doesn't look like Galaga, I would never leave. Bounties would be nice, too, but we're REALLY lacking player housing, space and crafting.