Is SWG a factor for the Dev Team?

mattgyver

Nobody cares about SWG. Not even the devs.

And yet for something nobody cares about, it comes up again and again on these forums. That is what made me create this thread, I am actually surprised at how often I saw it mentioned.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also had a vastly inferior subscriber base that SWTOR has blown out of the water in less than a month.

Unless a sizable number of their customers decide that not having Galaxies features is a real gamebreaker for their subscriptions I really don't think you're going to see many of these things, and some of them (the community thing) is more down to the people in the community than it is the devs.

And never, ever, ever, ever think of the forum and its attached 'polls' or 'discussion threads' to be majority opinion. The people on the forums are a vocal minority.

I never posited that because SWG comes up everyone must be thinking about that game.

Even as a long-time SWG fan (was there on day 1, hated the NGE, etc, etc), I don't really understand why you're beating this dead horse?

This game is NOTHING like SWG, so far they have taken NOTHING (in terms of features of gameplay) from SWG, and frankly, given what "a failure" SWG is perceived as, they will most likely include NOTHING from SWG.

But you want a dev post because you're hoping that they'll turn this game (or elements thereof) into a game that, again, is perceived to be a failure? Or you want to hear exactly how much they are influenced by a game that's NOTHING like this one?

Let it go. BW isn't SOE, SWTOR isn't SWG and no matter what the devs here thought of it, it's dead and gone.

Let it go.

What's with the attitude? I was interested in what you had to say until it became obvious that you wanted to interpret the motivation for my post and the plan hidden in my wording of the post. I wanted to discuss the topic. If I wanted to do otherwise I would have put a 'Vote for SWG' thread up.

I see what you mean, but do you think there could be an NGE like mistake for SWTOR? Without NGE SWG might have had a different outcome.

I doubt we will see an NGE from any developer anytime soon.

As to the possibility that SWG might have had a different outcome if not for the NGE, no, not really as the whole reason for the NGE was because the game was doing very poorly and SOE along with LA needed to do something to try and turn things around. Their gamble failed, instead of turning things around, it backfired big time and made an already bad situation much, much worse.

I do believe there is talk about ship decoration, guild capitol ships and even player bounties down the line. Also, they are currently working on a "secret" space project so who knows, maybe we will get a more robust space game, I would certainly welcome it.:)

Here we go with the nge garbage again. Everyone acts like that game was awesome and for no reason they changed it. Everyone was ************ about that game because there was nothing to do but craft and decorate your house. Then when the change was even worse everyone quit. The only thing they'd get from swg is a long list of what not to do.

I see what you mean, but do you think there could be an NGE like mistake for SWTOR? Without NGE SWG might have had a different outcome.

before NGE SWG was losing players at a rate of 10k a month. So yeah it was going to be dead either way.

I will look around for it but there was a really good artile about it from one of the guys who worked on SWG.

What's with the attitude? I was interested in what you had to say until it became obvious that you wanted to interpret the motivation for my post and the plan hidden in my wording of the post. I wanted to discuss the topic. If I wanted to do otherwise I would have put a 'Vote for SWG' thread up.

Yup, and instead of a "Vote for SWG" thread you started a "what do the Devs think of a failed game that was loosely based around the same IP but in no other relates to that game" thread, which is, of course, infinitely better.

Yup, and instead of a "Vote for SWG" thread you started a "what do the Devs think of a failed game that was loosely based around the same IP but in no other relates to that game" thread, which is, of course, infinitely better.

Thanks for your "please stop talking about this game because I'm threatened by the appearance of SWG in the forums" response.

Thanks for your "please stop talking about this game because I'm threatened by the appearance of SWG in the forums" response.

I'm more confused by the following:

SWG was a failure. Everyone understands this except the fan boys who squatted there and would have continued to do so, for all time, unless they just physically shut it down, which they did.

SWG was atrocious. I do hope the dev team here is influenced by SWG so they understand what not to do.

SWG was a failure. Everyone understands this except the fan boys who squatted there and would have continued to do so, for all time, unless they just physically shut it down, which they did.

SWG was atrocious. I do hope the dev team here is influenced by SWG so they understand what not to do.

Don't take this as an attack: can you tell me what game you thought was a good model for the devs going forward in your opinion?

It also had a vastly inferior subscriber base that SWTOR has blown out of the water in less than a month.

Unless a sizable number of their customers decide that not having Galaxies features is a real gamebreaker for their subscriptions I really don't think you're going to see many of these things, and some of them (the community thing) is more down to the people in the community than it is the devs.

And never, ever, ever, ever think of the forum and its attached 'polls' or 'discussion threads' to be majority opinion. The people on the forums are a vocal minority.

No, not an inferior subscriber base just a smaller one.

SWG was not a failure. It kept going for 8 years; it made money.

threatened how, exactly? I already stated multiple times that I was a HUGE SWG fan (played it for years, went back for the last few months to close it out and was there when the servers actually closed down - and, worthless as it is, I had the last post on my own server forum :p), but - unlike some - I have accepted that it is gone and I'm playing a new game that has ZERO in common with SWG, except the IP.

Yeah, that's REALLY being threatened.

The fact you are trying to harp back to a game that bears NO resembalence or connection to THIS game (the forums of which you are posting on) actually speaks more to your insecurities than mine.

But, whatever. Let me help you:

"guyz, what do the current devs think of swg and which features won't they be implementing first? guyz? anyone know? guyz?"

SWG was not a failure. It kept going for 8 years; it made money.

No arugument that it made money but not being a failure =/= being a success.

the original SWG was (for my own play style) the best, the most complete, the most all-encompassing game I have ever played with the best community and the first truly 'living' gameworld I had ever taken a part in.

And it was STILL a commercial failure - hence the CU, hence the NGE.

Doesn't detract from how great it was, but let's not pretend that SWG was ever viewed as a success either by SOE, LA, or the gaming industry in general.

I am sick of SWG on TOR forums , they are completely different for thousands of reasons ......THANKGOD

TOR = Bioware EA / LA

SWG = SOE / LA

The 2 companies are nothing alike and SOE still owns rights too all SWG , it can not be released legally without SOE's half being bought out!

TOR is for casual gamers , it was announced as such . Dev team said they were gonna avoid grinder type gameplay as in games like SWG , FF11 , Aion , L2 and such.

SWG was a grinder that was attempted to change into a casual game like WoW, it didn't help it and they grinders revolted because of it .

TOR will not do things like Crafting from SWG because it was built for a GRIND which TOR has very little of.

If you want to grind , go play a grinder . Do not drag us down to your no lifer gameplay . If you thought this was a grinder , you did not read anything about the game then.

SWG is closed , it was bad pre-NGE and worse after-NGE . Its maxed accounts it ever reached was 280k players , that is it . Sourced from SOE , Wiki has a direct link . I am not gonna bother posting it because you SWG guys would not care either or .

I wish the spam about SWG was taken serious by Bioware , being SWG has nothing to do with TOR other than the name StarWars is in the Title .

FF11 still has heavy grind craft system , go enjoy it for all its year to master glory !

Edited by mefit

No arugument that it made money but not being a failure =/= being a success.

the original SWG was (for my own play style) the best, the most complete, the most all-encompassing game I have ever played with the best community and the first truly 'living' gameworld I had ever taken a part in.

And it was STILL a commercial failure - hence the CU, hence the NGE.

Doesn't detract from how great it was, but let's not pretend that SWG was ever viewed as a success either by SOE, LA, or the gaming industry in general.

SWG came out it sold 300k boxes . Thats 300k players who bought the game for 50$ depending where you lived . 300k players paying 15 a month. Yea the game payed for itself but it was losing players like most MMOs after the first month . It continued to lose players at a rate that it went below the 10k accounts mark which LA then said something needed to happen , hence NGE .

NGE brought in 1million players , shortly after that about 2-3 months it went back down to 200k players.

The closing of SWG had only 10k players rounded . This was more than likely because they cut off the ability to activate accounts during its closing period . I heard it had to do with it being f2p until its close by those who had good standing accounts .

The game is dead, for alot of reasons.

Sandbox is nice when there is something to do in it , but that was it , Other than buidling your house there was nothing to do on most maps /planets .

SWG lacked alot of story , another reason it was doomed . Alot of players love story plan and simple.

TOR has alot of story that has voice actors so the player gets more involved into their characters and the world around them .

TOR might feel like a themepark but I am not paying 15dollars a month to play a game that has nothing to do but get involved into player made content sorry.

STO has player made content, if you miss it go play STO !

threatened how, exactly? I already stated multiple times that I was a HUGE SWG fan (played it for years, went back for the last few months to close it out and was there when the servers actually closed down - and, worthless as it is, I had the last post on my own server forum :p), but - unlike some - I have accepted that it is gone and I'm playing a new game that has ZERO in common with SWG, except the IP.

Yeah, that's REALLY being threatened.

The fact you are trying to harp back to a game that bears NO resembalence or connection to THIS game (the forums of which you are posting on) actually speaks more to your insecurities than mine.

But, whatever. Let me help you:

"guyz, what do the current devs think of swg and which features won't they be implementing first? guyz? anyone know? guyz?"

Your responses do a lot to disprove my assertion. You not hit enough small animals on the road today? There is really no reason to be this irritated about a question someone asked.

a) OP cares about something I don't

b) Because OP cares about this OP must be attacked (There is no mistaking your first response was clearly an attack)

I can feel the character attacks coming, bring some straw men, red herrings, tu quoque fallacies while you're at it bro. Each time you post this thing pops up in the window and more peeps see the SWG title.

Edited by mattgyver

SWG also lasted 8 years...I would hardly say that it was a failure. Sure, SOE really screwed the pooch in a lot of areas, but the game itself was able to last for 8 years..Gotta respect a run like that.

I do but then WoW ,FF11 , Lineage2 , and almost every MMO from that timeline is still going .

I respect SWG as a MMO but the community it had was just as much harmful as good . The forums were uninviting to new players , anyone who read the forums first before considering playing it was most than likely turned away by the trolling and hate talk about SWG.

Now SWG community continues to talk about it on TOR forums which is insulting .

If SWG was a successful game it would have gotten some kinda awards which it never did , and SOE would be running it under a F2P , but they are not . Nor was any talk of a SWG 2 ever mentioned . If SWG was successful they would have made somekinda effort to keep running it , saddly to its community never knew what they were gonna lose till it was gone and now they can play TOR or move on to something else.

I do not understand the constant SWG threads, I mean is it wise to destroy this because you cannot have your SWG ? Let SWG RIP or go to SOE / LA forums and beg for it to come back . Talking about it on TOR forums is a waste of your time ! PERIOD

I hope every company out there has learned from NGE. It was a mistake on so many levels. Every company needs to know to not treat their customers like that. I will never, ever play a SOE game again.

I hope the only other thing that comes from SWG is JTL. It was such a great system.

Seeing as how BioWare actually released a game that was out of the Alpha stage, I doubt it.

I don't agree with this, wouldn't even the mistakes be a source of learning. Granted there are other games to look at, but a portion of the population who are vocal (post) seem to use that game as the yardstick in many ways. Plus it's the same IP

A small percent of the players are vocal and on the forums posting. Those SWG Lovers are even smaller.

SWG failed, people forget the whole reason to the NGE was to increase sales because SWG was doing really bad. CPU also.

SWG also lasted 8 years...I would hardly say that it was a failure. Sure, SOE really screwed the pooch in a lot of areas, but the game itself was able to last for 8 years..Gotta respect a run like that.

With a maximum of 350,000 players. Yeah it failed, they just let it truly die out by itself instead of ending it themselves.