SWTOR vs. virus scaner?

Bigbozo

Ok, just scaned my comp for vtiuses (I use Bitdefender) and came up with five files that could not be scaned because they were password protected. All five were SWTOR files and looked like they were all launcher related files. Ones that would be able to go through my firewall with out telling me they are going through my fire wall.

Now have I been hacked, and evil people put these files on my comp, or are the legitimate BW files? And if they are legitimate files, why on earth would anyone want to make their files unscanable for viruses?

Without telling us what files they were, I don't see how you expect anybody to be able to answer that question.

On a side note, BitDefender, ewww. :p

swtor\launcher.exe=>(zip sfx o)=>patcher.bundle

swtor\launcher.exe=>(zip sfx o)=>httpdownload.png

swtor\launcher.exe=>(zip sfx o)=>title_tos.png

swtor\launcher.exe=>(zip sfx o)=>loading.gif

swtor\launcher.exe=>(zip sfx o)=>title_login_disabled.png

Are the files.

And what's wrong with bitdefender?

Ok, just scaned my comp for vtiuses (I use Bitdefender) and came up with five files that could not be scaned because they were password protected. All five were SWTOR files and looked like they were all launcher related files. Ones that would be able to go through my firewall with out telling me they are going through my fire wall.

Now have I been hacked, and evil people put these files on my comp, or are the legitimate BW files? And if they are legitimate files, why on earth would anyone want to make their files unscanable for viruses?

Most of the time with bitdefender, they are false positives. use a different anti virus

It's top 5 in virus detection because it detects everything as a virus -.-'

I lol'ed so hard at that, mostly because it's so true.

I actually do alot of torrents and P2P stuff, and I'm constantly getting irate people messaging me with something along the lines of "you're sending people viruses, i downloaded your file and my antivirus went nuts!"

When I ask them what theyre using, they usually say BitDefender and I just facepalm.

Are the files.

Launcher.exe is normally a self contained zip archive. You can verify it manually by opening it with any Zip software,and it will show you the list of files inside, all of them who are indeed password protected. So you should not have to worry about that. Your antivirus is just interpreting it as suspicous.

Edited by Elysith

I lol'ed so hard at that, mostly because it's so true.

I actually do alot of torrents and P2P stuff, and I'm constantly getting irate people messaging me with something along the lines of "you're sending people viruses, i downloaded your file and my antivirus went nuts!"

When I ask them what theyre using, they usually say BitDefender and I just facepalm.

Well, I've use Bitdefinder for years doing strictly legal stuff, and have not had a problem, other than the unscanable swtor files.

Maybe you should stop stealing movies.

As for the files I posted can any one tell me if they are ligit? The arn't flaged a viruses, it just says the can't be scaned to tell if they are. Edit: post above answed me. Thanks.

Edited by Bigbozo

Launcher.exe is normally a self contained zip archive. You can verify it manually by opening it with any Zip software,and it will show you the list of files inside, all of them who are indeed password protected. So you should not have to worry about that. Your antivirus is just interpreting it as suspicous.

Thanks for the info. Just the first time I saw it.

I would double check with some other security programs as well but I would probabily say its nothing to be worried about. You didnt have the launcher open when you were scanning by chance?

If you are still worried though I would go direct to Bioware on this one as they are the only ones who really know how their Laucher works.

Another option would be to delete the install and download again. This would ensure you have a non-modified file direct from Bioware for the game although I would suspect you would get the same results. And would take a while off course unless you can install from DVDs.

I scanned my PC to see if it returned anything and nothing came up as a warning or infected under MS Security Essentials (for what its worth)...

Well, I've use Bitdefinder for years doing strictly legal stuff, and have not had a problem, other than the unscanable swtor files.

As for the files I posted can any one tell me if they are ligit? The arn't flaged a viruses, it just says the can't be scaned to tell if they are.

Using torrents doesn't mean he is strictly stealing things. I'm an independent film maker and that's how I get my stuff out without renting server space.

Edited by TheOnlyKyrenS

As for the files I posted can any one tell me if they are ligit? The arn't flaged a viruses, it just says the can't be scaned to tell if they are. Edit: post above answed me. Thanks.

O.o I'm not breaking any laws. I don't do copyrighted materials, but thanks for jumping to conclusions.

I just used that as an example because it's usually large archives and BitDefender for some reason has problems with stuff like that.

Using torrents doesn't mean he is strictly stealing things. I'm an independent film maker and that's how I get my stuff out without renting server space.

True, I shouldn't assume like that. But are your films getting flag by Bitdefender?

I mean if one of the top ranked virius scaners constantly flags files as viriuses, at some point you must assume the scaner isn't the problem.

O.o I'm not breaking any laws. I don't do copyrighted materials, but thanks for jumping to conclusions.

I just used that as an example because it's usually large archives and BitDefender for some reason has problems with stuff like that.

I do apologize if your not one of the bazillon pirates that use P2P/torrents to steal movies/tv shows. But that is what they are mostly used for, and are the fastes/easist way to spread a virius (through the masses who refuse to pay what's due).

But instead of just bashing Bitdefender, tell us what's better.

Are the files.

.png and .gif are image filetypes. Those are fine. They may be PW protected maybe because they are copyrighted photos BW doesnt want people to use on anything.

as for patcher.bundle, it sounds like a patch data file for patching the launcher or something based on that line.

99.5% sure you are fine.

.png and .gif are image filetypes. Those are fine. They may be PW protected maybe because they are copyrighted photos BW doesnt want people to use on anything.

as for patcher.bundle, it sounds like a patch data file for patching the launcher or something based on that line.

99.5% sure you are fine.

They are password protected so they cannot be modified as it's what is used to launch the game. Some of the files are javascript files and others are simply image files that create the launcher window you see when you initially run the launcher.exe program.

Edited by terminova

Yeah, they're just false positives.

But just to alleviate your concerns of being hacked. It's no the movies, it doesn't work like that :) The worst that will ever happen to you is you get a keylogger which would most likely be picked up from an untrusted website, or even hidden in a file you might download. All this would do is log your keystrokes and then forward it on. It doesn't scan your PC or anything like that and however receives the info from the keylogger doesn't get access to your PC.

And if you're running regular virus scans then you're likely safe. :)