New updated sub numbers (Official)

Improv-

You are in for one h e l l of a disappointment on gw2 buddy...sorry. I hope people aren't expecting any voice over or cutscenes or choices in that game, because there are none and the voice content is corny. A backdrop of with cinematic black bars upper and lower and npc on right side, you on the left, and the lips aren't even in sync. They are TRYING to copy TOR in the aspect of story and voice over, but have not gotten it. Even ncsoft is seeing where BioWare took mmos. A whole new level. It's called voice over :)

Sorry, but you surely haven't played GW when you claim that they are trying to copy TOR in GW2.

Check out the real old posts on GW Guru too, and you will see that most ideas have been there before anyone knew anything about TOR.

People who like GW won't be disappointed and I bet more will like GW2 since it isn't as instanced as GW and has some other new features on top.

Your right in one thing thou, it's not as polished as SWTOR regarding the stories, there is a huge budget difference to think about just for voice overs.

Edited by Mineria

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My position is that THIS is what was said...

And it was said in an effort to clarify what was on the screen and to dispel some of the rumors that they had dropped in subscriptions. I believe him.

so we agree there are as of the end of February around 1.7 million subscriptions, made up of free 30 or paying subs.

Why would you ignore the powerpoint slide he used to give that talk that clearly states over 1.7m subscribers??

I read the transcript and what the guy had to say. Why would you ignore his words and only focus on his (or his secretaries) power point presentation slide?

In the transcript he said only HALF of the 1.7 million triggered their 30 day point and became active subscribers. He even tells you that you didn't understand what they said here:

So what I think a lot of people have misunderstood is we said we had 1.7 million subscribers on the last call, which was about a month ago. What that was about was the fact that only about – just about half that number had triggered through their 30-day point and

become active subscribers, our definition of recurring subscribers.

Then he says half of that total was still in the 30 day trial period. And after that he says the "majority" of the 1.7 have become "recurring subscribers" which he defines as anyone with a credit card or game card on file.

I think it's clear that no one really knows yet what the active numbers are.

Yes this game doesn't go down because:

1) Casuals keep playing because they like the easy mode

2) People just want to play with glowsticks and that's all they care about in an MMO

The people who actually came to play a good MMO, have all left or are about to.

Or maybe some people are bored of WoW and only play a few hours a day to have something to do.

I read the transcript and what the guy had to say. Why would you ignore his words and only focus on his (or his secretaries) power point presentation slide?

In the transcript he said only HALF of the 1.7 million triggered their 30 day point and became active subscribers. He even tells you that you didn't understand what they said here:

So what I think a lot of people have misunderstood is we said we had 1.7 million subscribers on the last call, which was about a month ago. What that was about was the fact that only about – just about half that number had triggered through their 30-day point and

Then he says half of that total was still in the 30 day trial period. And after that he says the "majority" of the 1.7 have become "recurring subscribers" which he defines as anyone with a credit card or game card on file.

Wrong, it is very clear. He is clearing up what the 1.7m meant then.

The slide is showing they have over 1.7m now.

In fact, it is crystal clear.

We're two months into the launch, a lot more to go, but 1.7 million, vast

majority now, are recurring subscribers.

So he's lying when he says 1.7M are recurring aka paying? Because that would mean those numbers don't include free trials, which would mean *gasp* that the active subscription number is over 1.7M which is exactly what the slide showed.

Sure the game has 1.7M subscribers but what's the actual number of those who are playing/active? It's like those F2P games where every quarter they would publish a PR about the amazing number of registered users/accounts their game has achieved but in reality, the more important number is the active users which is almost always 10%. May be with 1.2 and future added content and expansions may increase the subscriber number, may be not or it'll just hold the numbers steady. One thing we all know for sure, Swtor ain't no WoW.

I dont care if this game has 2 million or 20 million subscribers, as far as Im concerned it sucks. Thats all that matters to me, my opinion. As far as failing, after playing this, I have decided to never again buy anything by bioware, even though I was a fan of the company before. So I guess they failed pretty hard. Also, as far as subscriptions go, I guess I am listed as active, but only because they made me buy an extra month in addition to activate the game, I havent logged in in weeks, and dont plant to ever again.

Shame you feel that way but good one you for sticking to your principles.

I, on the other hand, got dragged kicking and screaming into this game as I'm not a Sci-Fi fan at all. Not only did I find I enjoy it, I've made it my main MMO for now. And, 3 friends joined me.

So, one leaves...4 show up. :) This is how MMOs fluctuate.

Hope you find something you enjoy and sorry you feel that BW is now anathema. :(

This is what he is saying, I hope it clears it up for you.

End of February we had over 1.7 Million active subs (from powerpoint)

On the last call was also had 1.7 million subs a little more than half were recurring subs

The new number I am giving you of 1.7 the vast major of which are now recurring subs.

No matter the way you has it as of the end of February SWTOR has over 1.7 Million active subs (free 30 or Recurring subs.)

Sure the game has 1.7M subscribers but what's the actual number of those who are playing/active? It's like those F2P games where every quarter they would publish a PR about the amazing number of registered users/accounts their game has achieved but in reality, the more important number is the active users which is almost always 10%. May be with 1.2 and future added content and expansions may increase the subscriber number, may be not or it'll just hold the numbers steady. One thing we all know for sure, Swtor ain't no WoW.

True. It is ahead of WoW at the 3 month mark.

So he's lying when he says 1.7M are recurring aka paying?

No I don't see that he's lying. He said he defines a recurring subscriber as someone with a credit card or game card on file.

I had to put mine on file just to get the free 30 days like everyone else.

Edited by Tservo

so we agree there are as of the end of February around 1.7 million subscriptions, made up of free 30 or paying subs.

As a blanket statement, yes, I'll agree that they are saying there are around 1.7 million subscriptions. With the caveat that it includes new box sales in their 30 day trial, anyone that has unsubscribed but still has time left in their subscription, and "possibly" the Australia/Asia servers rolled in. If say 300k are brand new then they lost 300k of the previous subscriptions and are holding on. It doesn't go into that detail.

There is positive information, which I've quoted from the transcript where he does go into some detail, that they went from half of the 1.7 on recurring subscriptions to "a vast majority". But they haven't released what those numbers actually are.

Sure the game has 1.7M subscribers but what's the actual number of those who are playing/active?

I'd assume most of them since unlike a F2P game, they're having to actually pay for their subscription here. I'm sure that like every other MMO out there, some don't play as much now as they did the first week or so.

But it's kinda foolish at best to assume people are paying for a service they don't use period.

I'd assume most of them since unlike a F2P game, they're having to actually pay for their subscription here. I'm sure that like every other MMO out there, some don't play as much now as they did the first week or so.

But it's kinda foolish at best to assume people are paying for a service they don't use period.

You are right, In the first days, I was playing as many hours a day, as I do hours a week now.

That is true for a LOT of people, and is normal.

I love the game as much as I did in the first days, but I also have a life, most of us do

No I don't see that he's lying. He said he defines a recurring subscriber as someone with a credit card or game card on file.

I had to put mine on file just to get the free 30 days like everyone else.

Read the question before that. He defines recurring as somebody who "paid for and committed to more time beyond the initial trial period." Free trials are NOT included in that as they haven't actually paid for game time. Thats the difference between recurring and active subscriptions.

The second part is just defining HOW they can choose to pay once they are required to.

As a blanket statement, yes, I'll agree that they are saying there are around 1.7 million subscriptions. With the caveat that it includes new box sales in their 30 day trial, anyone that has unsubscribed but still has time left in their subscription, and "possibly" the Australia/Asia servers rolled in. If say 300k are brand new then they lost 300k of the previous subscriptions and are holding on. It doesn't go into that detail.

There is positive information, which I've quoted from the transcript where he does go into some detail, that they went from half of the 1.7 on recurring subscriptions to "a vast majority". But they haven't released what those numbers actually are.

No problem with that. At least we can agree on that. The rest is window dressing.

You are not a vanilla WoW veteran if you are claiming it had as many bugs and glitches as this game.

I can dig up a ss of my Jan '05 subscription page if you like.:rolleyes:...and I say there were more problems during early vanilla than here.

And WoW didn't have much end game but average players weren't clearing the content they had in one day either.

True, but there were more newbs to mmo gaming then too. Myself included. That's without going into the lack of resources to research stuff. I can remember there being just alakazam or however it was spelled.

If you remember, which you probably don't, there was UBRS. People were having a hard time doing that / working as a team. And then when Molten Core came along...let's not even discuss that.

I was a bit late getting into MC because they weren't server transferring. I had to re-roll a fresh Hunter on another server because of a guild breakup. That being said I did get him into MC @ 59. The guild had lost a lot of key people to progression and in the restructuring they needed my hunter.

Only REAL issue WoW had was having to many people on the servers and it causing things like loot lag and instance lag.

That's some of what I put under bugs 'n glitches. If I'm stuck in loot lag I don't care why. I'm glitched. If my zep vanishes under me whilst flying and dumps me over Stone Talon, if my mail vanishes, if hidden mobs are bangin' on me and I can't get away, if my...

Stop comparing WoW to "this". This game is nothing like WoW. PERIOD.

This game is very much like that "other" game, but I wasn't comparing in a negative way. Just the mind set many of my former guildies have because of WoW. WoW wore them out and most aren't playing anything more than farmville or some obscure f2p atm. Pretty sad.

I'm rather hoping more will sneak a peak and get back into playing a real game.

Edited by Veluthurk

Don't try to tell me this games operations and pvp have any holding power. Getting geared in record time isn't going to keep subscribers. This game is too damn easy and there is no carrot on the stick incentive to keep playing since you can get geared so fast.

So by that logic WoW should have been dead before Blackwing Lair was ever introduced right? I mean get to 60 (people were doing it in 7 -12 days played), get geared (people were repeating ad nauseum places like Stratholme, Scholomance and UBRS) just to get gear to do TWO raids, Molten Core and Onyxia that had slightly better gear with only the promise that newer challenges were in the offing.

Yep ... that idea TOTALLY failed for Blizzard. Totally. They lost subscribers by the 10s of thousands and the game spiraled into down to be a F2P game in 12 months time.

Oh wait, that result didn't happen.

At all.

This game caters to a more casual playerbase it seems.

We get that.

This game doesn't offer much in the way of challenge to the so-called "hardcore" raiders.

We get that.

Game is still thriving. Just because it doesn't serve YOU and your mmo addiction doesn't mean the game in and of itself is a failure. It simply means it doesn't cater to you.

Read the question before that. He defines recurring as somebody who "paid for and committed to more time beyond the initial trial period." Free trials are NOT included in that as they haven't actually paid for game time. Thats the difference between recurring and active subscriptions.

The second part is just defining HOW they can choose to pay once they are required to.

The "over 1.7 million active subscription" includes people that are on there Free 30. There is no debate about that. The number of free 30 subs is very low as the VAST MAJORITY of subs are recurring subs (credit card or paid time cards)

The "over 1.7 million active subscription" includes people that are on there Free 30. There is no debate about that. The number of free 30 subs is very low as the VAST MAJORITY of subs are recurring subs (credit card or paid time cards)

Exactly, but this whole thing started when people who made that statement were told they weren't right because they were just going by the slide show and ignoring what he actually said.

I just posted to show that what he said and what the slide showed were really the same thing.

And there's so many people saying so many different things in this thread, I have no idea who I was originally correcting anymore.

Edited by Akirator

Exactly, but this whole thing started when people who made that statement were told they weren't right because they were just going by the slide show and ignoring what he actually said.

I just posted to show that what he said and what the slide showed were really the same thing.

And there's so many people saying so many different things in this thread, I have no idea who I was originally correcting anymore.

yea, its really getting my head hurting. The mercs are really trying to muddy the waters I think.