The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Looking to go with a DPS companion now. Which one?

Just a couple of quotes to start you out

"Gosh, I'm Good"

"Thank you, I will be signing autographs after the smoke clears"

Although you can gear Torian with your armour cast offs, Gault was by far the easier of the 2 to equip for weapons. Honestly as a PT I like having him out of the way, in the back, eating the mobs cheezburgrs.

I do run with a pre-made guild group that doesn't have an IA in it, so getting him decked out in Columni gear/weaps was pretty easy and quick for me.

Having him out of the way would be nice. How does the damage compare between the two? I have never really used either of them so I have no idea.

Gault is better for straight DPS, and he's easy to gear as well. He can get 3.5k+ Crits on Mobs once you get him up there.

Torian I find is better for when I need a dps companion to "tank" a bit. he takes damage very well as well as putting out some nice damage also. I keep his DOT stance on just so that will always be up on the mob.

Otherwise it's more of a preference, you'll like both. I typically keep Gault out though only because I can't hide torian's helmet >_<

Gault is better for straight DPS, and he's easy to gear as well. He can get 3.5k+ Crits on Mobs once you get him up there.

Torian I find is better for when I need a dps companion to "tank" a bit. he takes damage very well as well as putting out some nice damage also. I keep his DOT stance on just so that will always be up on the mob.

Otherwise it's more of a preference, you'll like both. I typically keep Gault out though only because I can't hide torian's helmet >_<

Thanks for the responses guys. I will give Gault a shot. I have never used him because he is my Biochem maker and because I was bitter about having to accept him as a companion. :cool:

As a tank PT, Gault makes more sense. But as a dps PT, I found Torian much better. Gault is very slow with his dps. As a dps PT going in and doing aoe on the pull, you want your companion to jump in and do the same thing.

Also in world PvP, Torian is constantly being targeted instead of me.

Overall, Gault has better DPS in my opinion. Plus, he's ranged and won't take as much damage. He also has a moddable weapon and more weapon options.

Torian is great, though. His damage is almost comparable to Gault and he's a much cooler companion.

Edited by TheronFett

Torian is by far the easier one to equip. You can get him armorings out of the 50's dailies, and mods/enh also. Also, you get a good blue staff for him from the lights out mission. Both are quality dps options, but Torian will also use the oil slick debuff, saving me a gcd spot. He also takes a hit far better than Gault does.

Equip them both and try them out, what else do you have to spend your cash on from the 50's dailies?

(Though why'd you wait until 50 to bother with them, I have used a mix of them since the 30's, when I got Torian. Just because we have a healer pet, doesn't mean you have to use it all the time.)

Torian is by far the easier one to equip. You can get him armorings out of the 50's dailies, and mods/enh also. Also, you get a good blue staff for him from the lights out mission. Both are quality dps options, but Torian will also use the oil slick debuff, saving me a gcd spot. He also takes a hit far better than Gault does.

Equip them both and try them out, what else do you have to spend your cash on from the 50's dailies?

(Though why'd you wait until 50 to bother with them, I have used a mix of them since the 30's, when I got Torian. Just because we have a healer pet, doesn't mean you have to use it all the time.)

I just used Mako the entire time. I enjoyed never being killed. Now I am making the change because I want to be able to actually kill these high level mobs in a timely manner.

I just used Mako the entire time. I enjoyed never being killed. Now I am making the change because I want to be able to actually kill these high level mobs in a timely manner.

I've used Torian since 32, and it has never diminished my survivability. In fact there are few situations where using Mako would have been aweful. I also leveled as an ST, which makes much more sense to use Torian. If I had leveled as a dps, I would have probably stuck with Mako.