Assassin or Operative (melee dps)

Gennek

Hello everybody,

Im realtively new to the game and want to play a melee stealth class with a high dps output.

Im actualy thinking about the sith assassin or the operative, which one would you request in terms ov pve/pvp und damage?

While both classes do close range damage. I think you'll find the Assassin is more of a 'melee' character. I have played both and both are very fun, but one big factor for operative is that you will want to often be in cover and the foes you are fighting might not be near cover. Sure you pull out your knife and stab em from cover and to refresh your buff, but you will also spend time hunkered behind things. Just doesn't feel melee to be, more close ranged.

While both classes do close range damage. I think you'll find the Assassin is more of a 'melee' character. I have played both and both are very fun, but one big factor for operative is that you will want to often be in cover and the foes you are fighting might not be near cover. Sure you pull out your knife and stab em from cover and to refresh your buff, but you will also spend time hunkered behind things. Just doesn't feel melee to be, more close ranged.

This is incorrect. Operatives do not want to be in cover. That's the Sniper/Gunslinger realm. Operatives are out of cover.

Operative has only 2 abilities that require cover (unlike sniper who has more than 10) and for operative those abilities are not even part of their proper attack rotation. Only in rare cases when getting to close range is not possible, would cover be needed as operative Edited by Eternalnight

You also go into cover for defense. Though, granted, i might be in cover only 50% of the time, but the question was in comparison to Assassin and being a melee toon. And rolling to cover is also a good way to be mobile, get out of the way of certain things, foes. Edited by CFourPO

You also go into cover for defense. Though, granted, i might be in cover only 50% of the time, but the question was in comparison to Assassin and being a melee toon. And rolling to cover is also a good way to be mobile, get out of the way of certain things, foes.

Operatives are just as melee as assassins. If you are in cover 50 percent of the time as an operative, you are not playing correctly, effectively or close to how the class was designed. If you are in cover even 5 percent of the time you are not playing correctly, effectively or close to how the class was designed.

Operatives are not a cover class. Period.

Edited by ebado

It really does depend on you're personal preference.

They both have pro's and con's

They both can do some nice damage

They both have flexibility

They both have cloaking

They both get people to go "why4u u5e OP n00b classez" (eh...I take that back...Trooper is now getting that fame)

I, personally, don't like the Sith Assassin that much. I actually prefer the Operative. But that's also due to my personal play style. That and I wanted to play with the Lethality tree instead of Concealment tree. :D

I'd say give them both a try...but you'd have to get to about lvl 25-30 with some additional warzone plays to really get a good taste I suppose. Eh...maybe. I figured out I didn't like assassin within the first 15 levels.

Operatives are just as melee as assassins. If you are in cover 50 percent of the time as an operative, you are not playing correctly, effectively or close to how the class was designed. If you are in cover even 5 percent of the time you are not playing correctly, effectively or close to how the class was designed.

Operatives are not a cover class. Period.

You might wanna listen to these guys. I've got such alt-itis, I've had every class to the 30s so I have not in-depth studied any of them.

It is quite possible I've been hiding in cover unneccessarily, my only real metric being that this apparently innefficient playstyle has still allowed me great success in pve and pvp, but that may be due to other factors like all the seeming clickers and keyboard turners I have been fighting rather than my class mechanics understanding.

If familiar with WoW i'd say Assassins are more like Feral Cats (lots of in-combat damage, don't depend heavy on stealth, hard to kite) and Operatives play more like Rogues (heavy from stealth burst and powerful stunlocks).

Operatives have strong opening attacks from stealth and depend on stealth quite a lot. Lots of front loaded damage and strong stuns. Probably got higher burst than assassin. Does not have many gap closers. Can disable droids out of stealth even while in combat, no cool down. Can mez humans and players but only out of combat and from stealth. Have ability to exit combat and go into stealth. Medium armor. Probably one of the best class stories in swtor, james bond on steorids. Got access to a few healing abilities (and you have access to a full main healing spec if you don't want to be dps later).

Assassins don't really depend on stealth as much, lack powerful opener from stealth. Probably got higher sustained dps compared to operative. Got lots of back loaded damage as they get a 30% health execute on a rather short timer. Can mez humans and players but only out of combat and from stealth. Have ability to exit combat and go into stealth. Light armor (mostly dress, no pants). Got a mini-sprint gap closer, a few ranged abilities and ranged snare which make it very hard to kite an assassin. Dualbladed lightsaber. Got access to taunt and guard (if in "tank" charge and you have access to a full main tanking spec if you don't want to be dps later).

Yah as mentioned several times Operatives/Scoundrels are not a cover class, not even for defensive purposes.

If this is going to be for PvP or if the OP is going to be doing a fair amount of PvP, from what i hear Op/Scoundrels lack a gap closer. Meaning they have no sprint or grapple hook, nothing to bring themselves close to the enemy fast, or the enemy to them. Assassins on the other hand have sprint, and with talents force pull.

For PvE, i have played an Assassin to 41 and Op to 31, Scound to 26. From my experience Assassin is a lot more fun.

I'd say the major difference between the two (other than stylistically, i.e. Sith versus Techie) is whether you prefer having a Tank tree or a Healing tree. If you see yourself potentially healing, then go Operative. If you think you'd rather switch to Tanking later on, then go Assassin.

As far as DPS goes, the playstyle is relatively similar in that they are both melee-based Stealthers (with some differences of course).

With respect to Cover, you will forget you even have Cover by the time you hit 40 as a DPS Operative. As a healing operative, if you're really good you MAY be able to take advantage of it (but rarely do we do so).

Edited by efylinx

If familiar with WoW i'd say Assassins are more like Feral Cats (lots of in-combat damage, don't depend heavy on stealth, hard to kite) and Operatives play more like Rogues (heavy from stealth burst and powerful stunlocks).

Operatives have strong opening attacks from stealth and depend on stealth quite a lot. Lots of front loaded damage and strong stuns. Probably got higher burst than assassin. Does not have many gap closers. Can disable droids out of stealth even while in combat, no cool down. Can mez humans and players but only out of combat and from stealth. Have ability to exit combat and go into stealth. Medium armor. Probably one of the best class stories in swtor, james bond on steorids. Got access to a few healing abilities (and you have access to a full main healing spec if you don't want to be dps later).

Assassins don't really depend on stealth as much, lack powerful opener from stealth. Probably got higher sustained dps compared to operative. Got lots of back loaded damage as they get a 30% health execute on a rather short timer. Can mez humans and players but only out of combat and from stealth. Have ability to exit combat and go into stealth. Light armor (mostly dress, no pants). Got a mini-sprint gap closer, a few ranged abilities and ranged snare which make it very hard to kite an assassin. Dualbladed lightsaber. Got access to taunt and guard (if in "tank" charge and you have access to a full main tanking spec if you don't want to be dps later).

^This was my experience in playing both to about 20. The Op felt like a rogue and my Sin more like a feral Druid. So it comes down to play style and for me companions, too. I wasn't overly impressed with either class's choice but went with the lesser of two evils and chose to level a Sin.

Assassin take more hits than an operative. But the operative really needs to be in stealth to do their up front damage burst. The assassin does not.

But, then again, if you want to be utility, you need to figure out if you want to be a tank or a healer.

If you want to be a healer, obviously Operative.

Tank, assassin.

The only classes that are pigeonholed are the DPS only advanced classes. Everyone else can spec into something different entirely.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.