Altaholic need's help!!

Malazaan

Hi guy's,

I really really need some tip's on how to stick with one toon!

Basicly ive played MMO's since i was 14 (im now 27) i started on dial-up games with very basic gameplay, in that game the max lvl was 40, in the 3 years i played (and i played alot) i never got past lvl 17 as i would always get bored and re-roll, then delete the 1st toon in a bid to force myself to play 1 char, then i would re-roll the same class as the first toon and try again!

This gaming style still plagues me today, i played WoW since launch untill SWTOR came out (i did try other MMO's too, Aion, Rift etc) and in the whole time ive played WoW (and again i played alot) i only have 1 max lvl char!!

It annoy's me sooooo friggin' much coz i know if i could put all that time i put into making new toon's deleting them, re-rolling and just not actully playing, if i could put all that time in to 1 toon it would be truly epic!

I mean put it this way, ive played SWTOR since it came out and because of my altaholicness ive not even made it past lvl 18 (its pathetic!! its one thing i cant stand about my gaming personality!)

Please help!

Mal

Hmm. Have you tried letting your altism play out without deleting characters? Your problem seems to be that you delete a toon and want to go back to it, causing you to re-roll. Maybe if you weren't deleting the toons, you'd go back to them naturally.

Sure, it's slower than focusing on one main, but you'd still be making progress.

Hmm. Have you tried letting your altism play out without deleting characters? Your problem seems to be that you delete a toon and want to go back to it, causing you to re-roll. Maybe if you weren't deleting the toons, you'd go back to them naturally.

Sure, it's slower than focusing on one main, but you'd still be making progress.

I know what your saying matey, but i think the reason i delete them is because i don't want loads of toon's, as i said i really wish i could focus on 1 char and become an expert in one class and not a jack-of-all trades

I know what your saying matey, but i think the reason i delete them is because i don't want loads of toon's, as i said i really wish i could focus on 1 char and become an expert in one class and not a jack-of-all trades

have you tried just creating one, and that's it,

use every fiber of your being to not re-roll

i know how you feel about that Alt thing, but what ever is fun for you is what's important.

have you tried just creating one, and that's it,

use every fiber of your being to not re-roll

you have no idea how much i tried, and for a few months i was succesful, but my altism came back with a vengence

you have no idea how much i tried, and for a few months i was succesful, but my altism came back with a vengence

well shock collar therapy might be your only chance :p

seriously though, if don't stress about it, if that's who you are then roll with it (pun intended)

I have done the same as OP,,, I define it like this, I really enjoy building new alts, that my thing. The knowledge I learn along the way to enhance a new alt, makes me create a new one even better than the previous one.

So dont look at it as a curse, embrace the fact you really ENJOY making new alts, its your thing...

I understand how you feel.

I used to play a game where your one character could change classes to like 22 different classes and it still saved your previous progress. So with one character you could play every class and I still had like 6 alts.

I have done the same as OP,,, I define it like this, I really enjoy building new alts, that my thing. The knowledge I learn along the way to enhance a new alt, makes me create a new one even better than the previous one.

So dont look at it as a curse, embrace the fact you really ENJOY making new alts, its your thing...

The thing is though i feel like im missing out coz some friends of mine have been maxed out for a little while and im still messing aound with low level chars!

I understand how you feel.

I used to play a game where your one character could change classes to like 22 different classes and it still saved your previous progress. So with one character you could play every class and I still had like 6 alts.

That sounds like the same thing i would do lol

I was not an altaholic before this game but now I became one of them :p

The "trick" is what another friend mentioned, do not delete alts, even when you roll new ones.

I was playing my "main" toon while I rolled another one to play when I was bored. I played this "alt" till level 34 and then stopped. After I reached 50 with "main" I also rolled a char on the opposite faction, reached lvl 21 and left alone.

Anyways, the point is that now I have 2 lvl 50 toons, 1 lvl 29, 1lvl 21, 2 lvl 19 & my last one lvl 15. When I am bored with one, I play some other :p

Maybe RP server is the answer. once you get into your toons mind set and act out a few lines, get some feedback and quest with others. Before you know it you grow an attachment to that alt.... This makes leveling easier. I set myself goals. DAY 1 create new alt. DAY 2 Get spaceship.. DAY 3 the universe is mine Edited by SNEAKYSIX

OP you are really missing out! After ~lvl25 you get so many cool abilities the toons become so awesome in terms of gameplay.

I know matey, thats what i mean when i say my friends have lvled up and now i really feel left behind. I'd love to be max lvl now, raiding and PvPing etc, the trouble i'll start a new toon and be really enthusiastic about and think this is defo the one and then i get to about lvl 15ish and start to get bored.

Hi guy's,

I really really need some tip's on how to stick with one toon!

Basicly ive played MMO's since i was 14 (im now 27) i started on dial-up games with very basic gameplay, in that game the max lvl was 40, in the 3 years i played (and i played alot) i never got past lvl 17 as i would always get bored and re-roll, then delete the 1st toon in a bid to force myself to play 1 char, then i would re-roll the same class as the first toon and try again!

This gaming style still plagues me today, i played WoW since launch untill SWTOR came out (i did try other MMO's too, Aion, Rift etc) and in the whole time ive played WoW (and again i played alot) i only have 1 max lvl char!!

It annoy's me sooooo friggin' much coz i know if i could put all that time i put into making new toon's deleting them, re-rolling and just not actully playing, if i could put all that time in to 1 toon it would be truly epic!

I mean put it this way, ive played SWTOR since it came out and because of my altaholicness ive not even made it past lvl 18 (its pathetic!! its one thing i cant stand about my gaming personality!)

Please help!

Mal

Think of it this way. You have "new lands" to explore. It is that simple. Just play the one of the eight alts to explore the game.

I would suggest OP to take up a new hobby in which you were unable to "delete" any of your progress, such as playing the Piano or something. :rolleyes:

Lol i might just do that :p

Edited by Malazaan

• 2 weeks later...

Ok this is getting stupid now. I posted this thread about a week or so ago and someone put rather than try and stop Alting embrace it, I thought it sounded like a good idea but now I keep making new toons and when I log in I take about 10 minutes to decide which to play then log in for about 20 minutes and wanna do something else.

I REALLY want to try and stop Alting but I tried cold turkey I.E deleting everything and starting over with just 1 toon but it always fails. Does someone know a way I can stop Alting all the time coz it's really something that annoys me but I lack to tools to stop!

I know I sound like a needy kid but the fact is I'm 27 I'm engaged I have a 2 year old daughter and I work 50-60 hours per week, I have my own home (well it's rented).

I really want to get to end game and join a good, friendly guild (I think being in a guild would, ATM I'm not joint any coz my altism is really bad)

When I did eventually make it to max lvl I really enjoyed using vent/Skype to do raids and even just general HC runs!

I think having a friendly unit to play in help me focus more but I wanna be able to be self reliant when it comes to beating my altism!

Thanks in advance

Well then here's my advice to you.

Roll a tank (guardian, vanguard or shadow and imp counterparts). Aim to play this char at the end game only. Levelling is only a way to master your tanking skills. Most guilds out there needs tanks so you will find one that needs you. Be sure that even at level 50, you have space to develop.