PvP/PvE gear mix (for PvP)

Raani

I'm curious to hear from people in a position to buy full PvP gear if you mix it with some PvE pieces for extra stats.

While I think it makes sense to pick up at least 4 PvP set pieces for the bonuses, I am not sure about things like bracers/belt/earpiece/implants.

I have mastercrafts in those slots and the stat loss from picking up a Champion (and even BM) piece can be drastic for some of them, both in terms of Aim and secondary stats. I am not sure if the extra healing/damage you get from Expertise can make up for it.

Is there an Expertise value beyond which it's not that useful to stack?

And if you use PvE pieces, how many?

Thanks in advance.

It depends on how you categorize priorities for your gameplay.

I for example i want to have two pieces of PvE eliminator to get the 15% crit chance on grav round and charged bolts plus two pieces of PvP eliminator to get the lower cooldown on our knock back.

Then i try to get crit chance around 35% which will give me with smuggler's buff a 55% crit chance on hit with GR and CB. Aim is already high in our equipment so its ok. My surge is about 73% . Now i dont remember how much power i have but my bonus damage on tech abilities is around 720ish. For my gameplay i avoid having alacrity.

Again is how you want to play and your priorities.

I just realized that I'm a dumb-***** and forgot to say that I play exclusively Combat Medic and that I run a straight healing build (no hybrid with Grav Round). For some reason, I was convinced I said it somewhere in the title.

I definitely want to pick up at least 4 pieces for the set bonuses, as well as weapon + generator, since I don't have better anyway (btw, the Eliminator canon and generator seem better than the Medic ones, since they have Power and Power/Surge).

But the wrists/belt/earpiece is where I'd be looking at pretty big stat losses, so I'll definitely leave those for last.

Thank you for the 550 expertise number. I'll try to hit that first and then see what damage control I can regarding stats with leftover PvE pieces.

I'm curious to hear from people in a position to buy full PvP gear if you mix it with some PvE pieces for extra stats.

While I think it makes sense to pick up at least 4 PvP set pieces for the bonuses, I am not sure about things like bracers/belt/earpiece/implants.

I have mastercrafts in those slots and the stat loss from picking up a Champion (and even BM) piece can be drastic for some of them, both in terms of Aim and secondary stats. I am not sure if the extra healing/damage you get from Expertise can make up for it.

Is there an Expertise value beyond which it's not that useful to stack?

And if you use PvE pieces, how many?

Thanks in advance.

I cannot comment on the commando himself as mine is only level 40, however I can speak in general terms having a main that is valor rank 55 and will go with 4 pve pieces for sure until BM likely at least 3 after

Right now I have one columni implant, a rakata belt, crafted purple 49 bracers with an augment, and redX3 matrix cube.

This plus all champ otherwise (enhancements swapped out for pve purples to dump all that alacrity) puts me at 446 expertise which is if I recall 9.67%.

At this point the significant gain in firepower and minor gain in endurance outweighs the extra 2%ish I would be milking out of the extra expertise. I could potentially see myself dumping the bracers for BM unless I can get lucky and craft a rakata with augment.

With this setup so far I feel quite happy with the results, damage is quite good without any feeling that I've sacrificed survivability ( a la pure pve). I wouldn't really want to dip below 400 expertise I think, but my main is also a bit squishier class, on a trooper it might not be a bad idea to milk the most damage out of each round before your ammo gets sucked dry in one of the protracted voidstar/alderaan moshpit type fights.

Edit: wrote it before looking at your second post, as a healer I'd probably be more inclined to look deeper into a pvp-heavy line because of the added survivability (as you will get focused quite often) paired with expertise's capacity to counteract trauma.

That said it's mostly theorycrafting as I am ill-experienced at level 50 pvp healing.

Edited by paul_preib