Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

How BioWare is ruining Role Play...

DarthRavnos

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its star wars. Living planets, Clone jumping sith, Concious droids. Come on now.

Amen. "Star Wars canon" makes it sound like it's some sacred literary masterpiece. The Dukes of Hazzard has more internal consistency than the Star Wars universe.

What?! I can use force powers as a none force user? Hmmmm- how to roleplay that. Somewhere down the line my character is related to a force user or maybe my character was a reject of the order or he quit altogether and decided to be an Agent instead. Maybe my agent hasn't been discovered yet.

The problem is the lack of creativity. Simple. As. That. (like people who think 4e D&D blows compared to previous ones pffff)

Th creativity is easy. Anybody can come up with a tall yarn to explain anything. But when every single character is going against canon and they all have a wild explanation for it RP does suffer.

Th creativity is easy. Anybody can come up with a tall yarn to explain anything. But when every single character is going against canon and they all have a wild explanation for it RP does suffer.

RP suffers when people do that and other RPers, particularly RP purists, make a bigger deal of it than it is. If someone is RPing the son of Spock and a Klingon, who was teleported into Star Wars through a magical wormhole and rides Twilight Sparkle into battle, then you have a few options.

1. Get mad and rant about it on the forums

2. /w and belittle the player

3. /w and kindly give advice to the player

Or...

4. Ignore them and move along.

RP suffers when people do that and other RPers, particularly RP purists, make a bigger deal of it than it is. If someone is RPing the son of Spock and a Klingon, who was teleported into Star Wars through a magical wormhole and rides Twilight Sparkle into battle, then you have a few options.

Or...

Hey i'm on record as being in the liberal RP'ers corner 100%.

But if I'm playing say, Dungeons & Dragons Online 2(another fantasy setting where anything goes). Then 4 months into launch they tell me any of my characters can cast fireballs if I have already leveled a Magic User and Orcs can be Paladins, even my extremely easy going with the canon self is going to say ***?

I got nothing against everybody shooting fireballs and orc paladins per say, but even I would only want accept that under a specific alternate setting.

Edited by avariambush

Hey i'm on record as being in the liberal RP'ers corner 100%.

But if I'm playing say, Dungeons & Dragons Online 2(another fantasy setting where anything goes). Then 4 months into launch they tell me any of my characters can cast fireballs if I have already leveled a Magic User and Orcs can be Paladins, even my extremely easy going with the canon self is going to say ***?

I got nothing against everybody shooting fireballs and orc paladins per say, but even I would only want accept that under a specific alternate setting.

And Bioware is creating an alternate setting as you say. It is, now a Mirilian can be a Sith, a Pureblood can join the Jedi, a Chiss can go rogue and become a spacer. (There is a Republic mission on Hoth where a Chiss tries to defect and give the Republic vital info) They are leaving the explanations up to the RPers, which I personally love.

And Bioware is creating an alternate setting as you say. It is, now a Mirilian can be a Sith, a Pureblood can join the Jedi, a Chiss can go rogue and become a spacer. (There is a Republic mission on Hoth where a Chiss tries to defect and give the Republic vital info) They are leaving the explanations up to the RPers, which I personally love.

Fantasy is all about the Dri'zzt character. It's an archetype. We just all know what happens to Dri'zzt in an MMO.

Edited by avariambush

^--- Yes, a thousand times this!

There is very little RP happening on the RP servers as it is. Reinforced even more when I see really stupid crap. Just last evening I saw a guy named Johnwilkes Booth on the RP server.

A funny joke the other day was a guild named <Awesomeness Jedi>. It was a Imperial guild. A guy said "Your guild is called Awesomeness Jedi. I'm pretty sure Awesomeness isn't even a word and... you are all Sith?". And the guild member said "So... wanna join?".

I understand it is inevitable that you will run into situations like this on a RP server. But, if BioWare was to allow something like this to occur (like say you report it and they just don't make efforts to address it) then the RP servers quickly have no meaning. You might as well be playing on a blue server (EQ lingo).

DarthRavnos;3431054]^--- Yes, a thousand times this!

There is very little RP happening on the RP servers as it is. Reinforced even more when I see really stupid crap. Just last evening I saw a guy named Johnwilkes Booth on the RP server.

A funny joke the other day was a guild named <Awesomeness Jedi>. It was a Imperial guild. A guy said "Your guild is called Awesomeness Jedi. I'm pretty sure Awesomeness isn't even a word and... you are all Sith?". And the guild member said "So... wanna join?".

Just to correct one comment about that word not being a word.

Awe"some*ness, n. The quality of being awesome

http://machaut.uchicago.edu/?resource=Webster%27s&word=awesomeness&use1913=on

There is a very big difference between a RPer making adjustments to their background and to a game mechanic being implemented that impacts all players. I have the choice of avoiding the player if I don't like how they are RPing. It is much more difficult for me to avoid the game mechanic (aside from not playing at all) that circumvents Star Wars history and symbolism (red lightsabers for Sith only).

An example I gave before was Shatterpoints. A very rare gift that reportedly 9 people have had in the 5,000,000,138 years the Star Wars universe has existed. If BioWare came out tomorrow and said "You can now buy the skill 'Shatterpoint' from a vendor for 500,000 credits" there are people on this thread that would have you believe this was okay. When it clearly is not.

It is funny to watch this discussion play out because it is like you see one person steal. So the assumption immediately becomes "Well, it must be okay to steal cause that one guy over there did it". When there are those of us who know it isn't right to steal at all.

In this case a Chiss tries to defect and give the Republic vital info. Does that mean all Chiss are defectors? Because I mean, if I was the Empire and we had this bad of a Chiss defector problem... well... it wouldn't be pretty for the Chiss homeworld.

Edited by DarthRavnos

Or...

Or...

5. Ask Mr. Lucas where you could buy the action figure for his newest character, Edward Spockworf

There is a very big difference between a RPer making adjustments to their background and to a game mechanic being implemented that impacts all players. I have the choice of avoiding the player if I don't like how they are RPing. It is much more difficult for me to avoid the game mechanic (aside from not playing at all) that circumvents Star Wars history and symbolism (red lightsabers for Sith only).

Sith aren't the only ones who use red. -sigh- There have been Jedi that have used red lightsabers, if you can't deal with that and throw up a red flag when you see a Jedi using red or a Sith using blue/green, then the entire game itself should be shut down. Used to a Sith could only use red when darkside, which didn't fit lore, so then a darksided Jedi could only use red or yellow, most chose red because it was easier to come by, that broke your specific immersion where you believe red is Sith only, they fixed that, but as it happens some people like red over blue or green... so get over it. It's personal preference, as it was in KotOR and KotOR II.

In this case a Chiss tries to defect and give the Republic vital info. Does that mean all Chiss are defectors? Because I mean, if I was the Empire and we had this bad of a Chiss defector problem... well... it wouldn't be pretty for the Chiss homeworld.

Technically the Sith Empire has no say in Chiss politics or the Chiss homeworld. The Chiss Ascendency is independent of the Empire, therefor it's quite possible a Chiss would decide to aid the Republic. Just because you see Chiss as Empire only right now, doesn't mean that they are simply defectors. JS.

Sith aren't the only ones who use red. -sigh- There have been Jedi that have used red lightsabers, if you can't deal with that and throw up a red flag when you see a Jedi using red or a Sith using blue/green, then the entire game itself should be shut down. Used to a Sith could only use red when darkside, which didn't fit lore, so then a darksided Jedi could only use red or yellow, most chose red because it was easier to come by, that broke your specific immersion where you believe red is Sith only, they fixed that, but as it happens some people like red over blue or green... so get over it. It's personal preference, as it was in KotOR and KotOR II.

Again, you're arguments entire basis is built on like 2 people from the Expanded Universe lore (entire Star Wars history for that matter) and that is it. The Sith-only usage of red lightsabers because of symbolism is clearly defined for this time period. In a variety of official books, videos, etc. This debate is getting stale because you have no clue what you are talking about. Especially since you are claiming it is canon because of the argument "I saw some dude do it once.". That's nice. :rolleyes:

Technically the Sith Empire has no say in Chiss politics or the Chiss homeworld. The Chiss Ascendency is independent of the Empire, therefor it's quite possible a Chiss would decide to aid the Republic. Just because you see Chiss as Empire only right now, doesn't mean that they are simply defectors. JS.

Oh...

IMPERIAL ALLIES

AS REMOTE AND SECRETIVE AS THE DISTANT STAR SYSTEM FROM WHICH THEY EMERGED, THE CHISS SPECIES REMAINS A MYSTERY TO MOST OF THE GALAXY. COMPLETELY REMOVED FROM THE REPUBLIC AND THE EMPIRE, THESE BLUE-SKINNED HUMANOIDS EVOLVED AN ADVANCED CIVILIZATION KNOWN AS THE CHISS ASCENDANCY IN THE UNKNOWN REGIONS OF SPACE. DESPITE CONSTANT POLITICAL POWER STRUGGLES AMONG THE RULING CLASS, THE ASCENDANCY MAINTAINED STRICT CONTROLS OVER ITS DOMINION AND THE CIVILIZATION PROSPERED. THIS IS HOW THE CHISS DEVELOPED SOCIALLY AND TECHNOLOGICALLY IN ISOLATION FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS… UNTIL THEY WERE DISCOVERED BY THE SITH EMPIRE.

DURING THE LATE DAYS OF THE EMPIRE’S EXILE, THE SITH CAME INTO CONTACT WITH THE CHISS, AND WHAT FOLLOWED WAS AN EVENT UNIQUE IN THE ANNALS OF IMPERIAL HISTORY. IN EVERY PREVIOUS INSTANCE WHERE THE EMPIRE HAD ENCOUNTERED AN ALIEN CIVILIZATION WITH ENOUGH TECHNOLOGY AND RESOURCES TO DEFEND ITSELF, THE EMPIRE DEMANDED SURRENDER AND CAPITULATION TO THE RULE OF THE EMPEROR. EACH CIVILIZATION REFUSED AND THE SITH CONQUERED THEIR WORLDS AND KILLED OR ENSLAVED THE INHABITANTS. THE POWER STRUGGLES OF THE ASCENDANCY ARE RARELY SOLVED WITH FORCE OF ARMS, HOWEVER, AND THE CHISS RULING CLASS SURPRISED THE EMPIRE BY CONSIDERING THE OFFER ON ITS MERITS AND ASKING FOR A SUMMIT. THE EMPIRE'S MILITARY LEADERSHIP, CONFUSED, AGREED.

BEHIND CLOSED DOORS THE BEST CHISS NEGOTIATORS MET WITH A WHO'S WHO OF IMPORTANT IMPERIAL DIPLOMATS, INCLUDING THE VERY UNUSUAL PRESENCE OF THE COMMANDER OF THE SECRETIVE IMPERIAL GUARD. NOTHING HAS EVER BEEN PUBLICLY REVEALED ABOUT THAT MEETING BUT THE OUTCOME IS KNOWN AND NOW WONDERED ABOUT BY DIPLOMATS AND HISTORIANS THE GALAXY OVER. THE CHISS WOULD BECOME THE FIRST OFFICIAL ALLIES OF THE EMPEROR. THEIR ARMIES, RESOURCES AND TAX REVENUES WOULD BE FREELY OFFERED TO THE EMPIRE. IN RETURN THE EMPIRE WOULD ALLOW THE ASCENDANCY TO GOVERN AND ADMINISTER ITS OWN PLANETS, AND NEVER SET FOOT ON THE CHISS HOMEWORLD OF CSILLA WITHOUT PERMISSION. NOT ONE POLITICAL REPRESENTATIVE, NOT ONE NOBLE TOURIST, NOT ONE SITH.

IN THE YEARS THAT FOLLOWED, THE CHISS ASSISTED THE SITH IN THE INVASION OF REPUBLIC SPACE AND EARNED THE EMPIRE’S RESPECT AND TRUST AS MILITARY ALLIES. WHILE IN SITH-CONTROLLED SPACE, THE CHISS SUBMIT TO IMPERIAL AUTHORITY WITHOUT QUESTION AND A HANDFUL OF CHISS HAVE EVEN INTEGRATED THEMSELVES INTO IMPERIAL SOCIETY. NONETHELESS, THE CHISS ASCENDANCY MAINTAINS ITS OWN FORCES, SEPARATE FROM THE IMPERIAL MILITARY, AND MOST MEMBERS OF THE SPECIES STILL RETAIN THEIR CHARACTERISTIC PRIVATE WAYS, EVEN WHEN WORKING CLOSELY WITH THEIR HEAVY-HANDED IMPERIAL ALLIES. TO THE REPUBLIC, THE CHISS CONTINUE TO BE A COMPLETE MYSTERY AND THE SPECIES’ VERY EXISTENCE IS UNKNOWN EXCEPT IN HIGH LEVEL POLITICAL AND MILITARY CIRCLES.

To the republic they are a complete mystery and their very existence is unknown except in the highest circles. Oh, but don't mind hordes of Chiss that can be seen now commonly on fleet, at Jedi temples, and chilling out pretty much everywhere around the Republic.

Any other super rare circumstances you would like to try to use as justification of normality now?

Edited by DarthRavnos

The Sith-only usage of red lightsabers because of symbolism is clearly defined for this time period.

No, it isn't.

And even so, the point remains that the Light/Dark restrictions have NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING SITH OR JEDI.

If you want ALL Sith to use red lightsabers, you should SUPPORT removing restrictions, since it allows Sith who want to play Light-side characters to use red lightsabers. Likewise, Jedi who follow the Dark path can still use green and blue lightsabers.

This move HELPS with "Lore-appropriate" appearances. It does not "destroy" them.

Edited by ErikModi

Again, you're arguments entire basis is built on like 2 people from the Expanded Universe lore (entire Star Wars history for that matter) and that is it. The Sith-only usage of red lightsabers because of symbolism is clearly defined for this time period. In a variety of official books, videos, etc. This debate is getting stale because you have no clue what you are talking about. Especially since you are claiming it is canon because of the argument "I saw some dude do it once.". That's nice. :rolleyes:

Oh so Exar Kun who used a blue lightsaber as Sith seems like he breaks your immersion too. Along with the fact that Luke Skywalker used a red lightsaber for a short period of time. All the Sith after the OT didn't use red exclusively. All the Jedi didn't use blue or green exclusively. Red is a common color and hell, there are even red crystals in the Illum cave in the Clone Wars, not to mention I recall seeing at least one Cathar Jedi using a red lightsaber during the Clone Wars. :rolleyes: As it stands, it would seem lightsaber color is a personal preference and if you don't like it, then don't play the game.

Oh...

To the republic they are a complete mystery and their very existence is unknown except in the highest circles. Oh, but don't mind hordes of Chiss that can be seen now commonly on fleet, at Jedi temples, and chilling out pretty much everywhere around the Republic.

Any other super rare circumstances you would like to try to use as justification of normality now?

I fail to see how that explains a Chiss' personal choice. It is entirely possible that after seeing what the Empire does to other worlds, a few Chiss rebelled and went to aid the Republic. Besides what do the "highest circles" do? Wipe the memories of their ground soldiers who have seen Chiss in battle? Is that how they keep the Chiss as limited knowledge to the Republic?

If you want to roleplay that Jedi never use red lightsaber crystals, then don't equip a red lightsaber crystal on your Jedi characters. The rest of us can decide for ourselves how much we wish to adhere to arbitrary, narrowly defined roleplay rules that may or may not be G, T, C, S, or N canon, thank you very much.

Oh...

I have to agree with you. At this stage in galactic politics the Chiss are completely isolated from the Republic, save through interface through the Empire's war against it.

From what I've read of Chiss culture they wouldn't jive well with Republic liberalism anyway. They're good match for the Empire.

I actually don't see a problem with the color crystals, but I'm not really into the idea of the shared skills between legacy members. Bounty Hunter using the force? I get the idea and ain't bad, but it does seem kinda gimmicky. From what I hear it's not even an original skill, but a cookie-cutter skill from our pre-existing classes. We'll see. Looks like the Legacy system is going to be a little hit-n-miss at first. Edited by DJunior

First...

Second...

Seriously BioWare? Anyone has the potential to use the Force. Even the non-sensitive. I don't have any fancy quote anywhere. But somehow I feel this is appropriate. Do you want a pony?

The non-force sensitive can use the force? No. It simply means they are force sensitive. Plenty of force sensitives that aren't Jedi.

First I was going to say: Yes, Bioware gave up completely on SWTOR soon after its release and will ruin it for its fast complete decadence and abandonment like SWG was.. Little sense as it makes, Bioware was never one to know what they are doing with their own products and usually they needlessly screw up their own games with stupid policies like this, and players who followed all their games in the past 8 years like me will know this... And players of MMORPGs in general also know that a neat and concise gaming atmosphere is also what makes it good or not for multiplayer (which is also what favors roleplay, so you always see roleplaying capability closely attached to the game's success or failure.. That was very visible in SWG, LOTRO and Matrix Online)

But now after reading such unbelievable amount of non-sense related to the lore from people who think they know what they are talking about and think that they are tolerable excuses for roleplayers, I am just thinking "hell, what roleplay? Did it ever existed here? Ok Bioware, screw it up.. Republic trooper with pink armor and force lightining pls.. More roleplay options yeah"

lol

I think that a lot of people here are a bit unclear on the word "options".

No one is forcing any of us to roll a Chiss smuggler or a Pureblood Jedi.

No one is forcing us to socket a blue crystal in a Marauder's lightsaber.

No one is forcing us to click that quickslot button with the Legacy force ability, or even to slot that ability in any quickslots in the first place.

So tell me again how the game is about to be turned on its ear? I fail to sense the gravity well shifting, to be honest.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.