How BioWare is ruining Role Play...

DarthRavnos

Nice to see someone talking about lore and not having a actual clue what they are talking about.

ow you know its true, its nothing gamebreaking and in lore its force sensative ancestors or parents even if you make your legacy tree like that. if its so clueless then tell why almost any 1 can use choke if they are force sensative....

Edited by DeadlyScythe

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears there are two sides to this coin. The people in favor of:

• Removing Light Side / Dark Side restrictions on crystals.
  • Allowing any race the ability to be the race selected for a class.
  • Allowing any class the ability to perform heroic feats. Such as a Sith Inquisitor armed with a flame thrower or a Trooper's ability to use Force Lightning.

And you have the people not in favor of those items because to them (let's admit now that not everyone feels the same about this) this detracts from the Star Wars "ish" feeling for them.

How about this. Everyone is right... I offer some suggestions here and just want to see what everyone's take is.

Crystals

Why not do the following instead of just the current incoming changes? This suggestion could be grandfathered in as well (if you already have said color equipped then the restriction doesn't apply to you until you un-mod said crystal at which point you are now subject to the rules of that crystal).

Green = Class restricted to Jedi Consular, IA, BH, Trooper, Smuggler

Blue = Class restricted to Jedi Knight, IA, BH, Trooper, Smuggler

Red = Class restricted to SI, SW, IA, BH, Trooper, Smuggler

Yellow = No restrictions

Orange = No restrictions

Purple = No restrictions

Cyan = Must be quested / raided for, but no restrictions.

Magenta = Must be quested / raided for, but no restrictions.

White = Must be quested / raided for, restricted to Light Side characters.

White w/ Black Core = Must be quested / raided for, restricted to Dark Side characters

Green w/ Black Core = Tier 3 PvE / PvP only, same restrictions as GREEN

Blue w/ Black Core = Tier 3 PvE / PvP only, same restrictions as BLUE

Red w/ Black Core = Tier 3 PvE / PvP only, same restrictions as RED

Yellow w/ Black Core = Pre-order Vendor

Or a twist of the above? This somewhat enforces "traditions" at this Era. And maybe these rules only apply on RP servers.

???

Races

Personally I think this should be removed. Instead, why not allow the selection of other races that already exist in the game. For example... Wookies or Rodians. This allows new races to be used but, doesn't allow for the strange lore conflicts that occur when you put many (not one) Pureblood Sith into the category of Jedi Grand Master's.

Class Heroics

Instead of adding existing skills (like Force Choke and Flame Thrower) why not add things that would make sense.

For example, say you get Imperial Agent to 50. Maybe this unlocks the ability to use a "Stealth Generator" skill. And that allows you to go into stealth once every 20 minutes. It is completely feasible that anyone can turn on a stealth generator. It isn't feasible that EVERYONE knows how to do Force Lightning. Maybe the Jedi Consular unlock allows you to call out and rally your allies and yourself. Adding a bonus for 30 seconds to resist damage. Maybe the Trooper ability allows you to summon a single ally to your location (you send a shuttle to pick them up) or something.

---

---

The point I am trying to make here is again... BioWare could have chosen from a batch of 50 good solutions and 5 bad ones. Instead of taking their time to make an informed decision (analytics, best customer profiling, etc) they went the route of "What can we quickly implement into the Legacy system to shut these people up and they won't keep asking us about it?".

And I am not going to sit here and keep proving or disproving lore. Because that is just circular debating that isn't constructively adding to the thread. So yes, I am ignoring some of the replies.

First, enforcing cosmetics is BAD. I don't want to have to play a class/build I hate just to use a green lightsaber.

Second, none of those restrictions are supported in lore. Ever. At all. Those arguing FOR "lore-based" restrictions have been proven to be dramatically uninformed. Even when BioWare first introduced the idea that lightsaber color reflected "class," it was a suggestion (and one that didn't make much sense when viewing the Jedi of the movies, either), not a rule.

Third, yellow crystals are just ugly (though the ones in this game, I admit, are the best I've seen.) Forcing someone to use a color they hate to play a class/build they like is equally as stupid as point the first. Both make the game unfun. Unfun game = no one playing, = no more game.

Forth, options are good, ESPECIALLY on a role-play server. My Jedi, no matter his alignment, can no LOOK LIKE A JEDI, with a "proper" crystal color. He's not forced to look like a Sith (and get called out on it) because of some artificial, non-lore-supported restriction on color crystals. Moreover, my light Jedi can use a red lightsaber, that he, say, took from a Sith he defeated and was forced to kill, carrying it and using it as a reminder of the constant dangers all Jedi face, not only from without, but from within. He uses the red blade to remind himself that, if he becomes obsessed with the enemy, he will become the enemy. Any number of excellent stories can crop up from using "wrong" color lightsabers.

Fifth, BLASTERS. In these debates, the non-Force-Slinging folk of the galaxy are almost always forgotten. 99% of all blasters we see in Star Wars fire red bolts. The ONLY exceptions are the SoroSuub ELG-3As used by Padme and her handmaidens (the sleek, silver blasters that fired green bolts), and the DC-15 series of rifles and carbines used by the Clone Troopers (which fired blue bolts), and the Xerrol Nightstinger (which fired "invisible" bolts, bolts tuned so that they did not give off visible light.) The red-bolted blasters were used by 99% of the people in Star Wars, good, bad, or indifferent. Red blaster bolts just MAKE SENSE, and removing the silly light/dark restrictions allows the use of red blaster bolts for anyone who wants to feel really "Star Warsy."

English is not my first language and sorry in advance if I'm being an idiot, but don't they say "Did you ever want to use Force Choke on your Imperial Agent?"

ON your Imperial Agent, as in you choke "him", not use it with him.

?

English is not my first language and sorry in advance if I'm being an idiot, but don't they say "Did you ever want to use Force Choke on your Imperial Agent?"

ON your Imperial Agent, as in you choke "him", not use it with him.

?

I think that is unintentional bad wording. What I believe they mean is... "Don't you ever wish you could Force Choke someone using your Imperial Agent?"

You people are arguing about the colors of lightsabers...

I wonder, if there had been MMO's in the 50's, would people have the same arguments if the bad guy character could wear a white hat?

That is the reason why badguys have red lightsabers in the movies. Dark colors equal evil. Light colors equal good. It's a convention that's been around since the dawn of storytelling and it all relates to night being scary and daytime being not scary.

Star Wars and Star Trek both suffer from this same nonsense. A transporter was a perfectly reasonable plot device, trying to explain it only points out how incredibly stupid it is. They could both take a lesson from another sci-fi classic and pull out a line like...

"I don't know. I didn't build the @#$%ing thing." Simple as that.

Roleplaying in MMOs has always been an uphill battle and will always be a problem.

If you as a RPer has a problem with what they are doing then you have a narrow view. The Legacy system will help me enjoy my gaming experience by letting me flesh out my Rattaki Light Side Sith Assassin story by adding my alts into her overall saga.

Yeah I have seen all the movies didn't read any books or comics as I don't think much of the expanded Star Wars universe but enjoyed all the Star Wars computer games.

Play the game for what it is and try not add all the extra lore that has been added to the universe you may find yourself having fun.

Here is another Republic Sith Pureblood backstory. A Sith Pureblood was part of a creche that was captured by a Republic Strike Force. The commander saw potential in the Sith children, as a weapon to be used against the Empire. These Sith were taught in Republic schools and adopted by loving families and as they grew of age each was brought into the Republic forces to be a symbol of strength for the Republic.

Here is another Republic Sith Pureblood backstory. A Sith Pureblood was part of a creche that was captured by a Republic Strike Force. The commander saw potential in the Sith children, as a weapon to be used against the Empire. These Sith were taught in Republic schools and adopted by loving families and as they grew of age each was brought into the Republic forces to be a symbol of strength for the Republic.

Must have been a whole fleet of these ships with children in it. And in the back cargo hold was a full cache of the galaxy's "rarest" crystals.

Admit it... BioWare is literally turning into Oprah. "You get a white crystal... You get a white crystal... You get a white crystal... Everyone gets white crystals!!! I'm... OPPPPRRAAAAAHHHHH"

And it sounds like you are turning into her as well. Every family can get their own Sith Pureblood child. As long as you visit the Republic's Sith reclamation services?

LOL :p

Must have been a whole fleet of these ships with children in it. And in the back cargo hold was a full cache of the galaxy's "rarest" crystals.

Admit it... BioWare is literally turning into Oprah. "You get a white crystal... You get a white crystal... You get a white crystal... Everyone gets white crystals!!! I'm... OPPPPRRAAAAAHHHHH"

And it sounds like you are turning into her as well. Every family can get their own Sith Pureblood child. As long as you visit the Republic's Sith reclamation services?

So, are you annoyed that it "obliterates lore" or that it opens up options for everyone instead of a select few?

You people are arguing about the colors of lightsabers...

I wonder, if there had been MMO's in the 50's, would people have the same arguments if the bad guy character could wear a white hat?

That is the reason why badguys have red lightsabers in the movies. Dark colors equal evil. Light colors equal good. It's a convention that's been around since the dawn of storytelling and it all relates to night being scary and daytime being not scary.

Star Wars and Star Trek both suffer from this same nonsense. A transporter was a perfectly reasonable plot device, trying to explain it only points out how incredibly stupid it is. They could both take a lesson from another sci-fi classic and pull out a line like...

"I don't know. I didn't build the @#$%ing thing." Simple as that.

There had to be a simple-type of explanation of how a transporter works for the viewing audience to have an adequate reason to suspend their disbelief. One very important fact about Star Trek transporters that had to be made known was that even the most simple of shielding preventing their use. If not - they were so powerful that even possessing a shuttle on the ship was moot.

I'm really glad the Star Wars Universe isn't riddled with transporter technology, yet anyway. Yes, I know there are a few Rakata transporters on Belsavis and more will probably come with future content.

Since Bioware tied a stat to the color crystal, they can control how populous a specific crystal is within each content patch. 2.5 million credits is a pretty steep price for a white crystal right now seeing that most level 50s have less than 400k credits.

Two patches from now, it's easy for Bioware to make a certain color rare by simply burying the recipe to make it with a very rare drop chance or require expensive materials to make. Right now though, they are looking for a way to bleed credits from the economy.

To some extent, you're simply going to have to live with crystals being more common since Bioware chose to use them in blasters. I wish they had used color cartridges for blasters myself and kept crystals for lightsabers but strangely enough, they didn't ask my opinion first. :cool:

This thread has taken some interesting twists and turns along the way.

---

It started out, as best as I can tell, as a disapproval of some of the added class, race, and equipment options that are becoming available out of the concern that these options will cause some players to choose combinations that do not adequately reflect the Star Wars universe and thus ruin other players' ability to employ suspension of disbelief during roleplay and thus preventing them from losing themselves in the game world.

Truth is, roleplaying is something very much up to the players engaging in it, and actual game mechanics cannot change this. Even with the tightest, most restrictive, most 'canonical' game mechanics and built-in elements, there will always - ALWAYS - be RPers who seek to act outside the norm - and there is NOTHING wrong with that. If you do not want to allow that into your RP, do not RP with those players. Someone wants to insist that their great-great-great-grandmother was a Hutt even though they - in-game - are playing a Pureblood Sith, and you think that is utter rubbish? Tell them not to bring it up, or choose not to play with them. If you think that is a great idea, then run with it and continue to RP with this other player. Whether you like or dislike other peoples' RP ideas, it is not the publisher's duty to enforce your view of how the story should be played out upon others. It is something you have to work out (politely and respectfully) amongst yourselves.

Another thing to consider is that players are going to approach this game with varying levels of familiarity of the Star Wars universe. Some of us are playing because we were around when the first movies came out and we remember growing up swinging sticks at each other pretending to be Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader, or going 'pew pew' at each other pretending to be Han Solo or a Stormtrooper. Others will come to this game having played the tabletop RPGs, others will have read the vast array of books out there, and others will have played every single Star Wars video game up to SWTOR. Some people may even be coming to SWTOR without really having ever done much of any of the above. That said, knowledge and familiarity of the Star Wars universe and lore will vary GREATLY from player to player. For some, a Pureblood Sith who is a Jedi Consular wouldn't seem out of norm, while another person might point out that a Suggler would never wear that particular belt because "on page 342, paragraph 4, line 6, in 'The Dancing Smuggler of Gamma IV', it SPECIFICALLY states that all the smugglers know plaid is unlucky in battle. So, you SUCK at RP if your smuggler is wearing a plaid belt!"

If you think someone is doing something un-lore-ish (is that a word? heh), talk to them about it, ask them about it, and offer your thoughts or knowledge about the subject (offering is not 'ramming down others' throats', btw). But, most of all, be understanding that some people may not know as much about or view the Star Wars universe in the same light as you do. Inevitably, with the different knowledge and perspectives people will bring to the game, there will be some hiccups in RP here and there. It will only ruin the RP if you let it.

Your argument is stupid. So Bioware gives your greater variety on what to do so it ruins roleplay? The only thing that can ruin roleplay on their line is if they actively tried to interfere with our ability to chat.

Sith make there own red crystals by channaling there hatred.

Green is made from meditating and respecting life (or something.)

*sigh* No. All Synthetic crystals are red to begin with, but a few modifications can transform the color to green, blue, purple, ect.

Synthetic Lightsabers:

"I don't need to remind you that a crimson blade doesn't guarantee that the wielder is a Sith, any more than every person strong in the Force is a Jedi. Asajj Ventress was a mere apprentice to Dooku, not a true Sith. A crimson blade can owe to nothing more than a synthetic power crystal. Then crimson is simply a color, like Master Windu's amethyst blade." ―Roan Shryne[src]

A Synthetic lightsaber crystal, commonly referred to as a Synth-crystal, is a type of lightsaber crystal that is artificially created, rather than naturally formed by geological processes. Due to the methods used in their creation, they often formed with a red coloration, though they could be made with any color through special manipulations of either the creation process or the crystal itself, often through the Force.[3]

Description

Though synthetic crystals were ordinarily unsuitable for use in lightsabers, the Sith discovered that they could create synth-crystals that were energized, magnetized, and modified with the power of the dark side of the Force in special furnaces, causing the crystal to glow in harmonic vibration. As a result of their artificial origins, synthetic crystals created more powerful lightsaber blades and could be more easily augmented. Also, their common usage by Sith and other Darksiders after this discovery caused synthetic crystals to become something of a staple among such groups, and their use among Jedi was strongly discouraged.[3]

Most synthetic crystals were red, a result of the forging process, and oftentimes the initiate's intentional manipulations, as most individuals who utilized synthetic crystals were Darksiders. The red-hued lightsaber blades generated by such crystals were often nicknamed "bloodshine blades". However, synth-crystals could be made in any color, requiring only slight adjustments of the creation process and special manipulations through the Force during the forging. As Jedi frowned on the use of synthetic crystals in lightsabers, most individuals who utilized colors other than red were Darksiders looking to hide their affiliations.[3]

Creation

Synthetic lightsaber crystals were manufactured within a machine known as a geological compressor. The original purpose of the compressor was to replicate geological conditions on distant worlds in a laboratory setting, and it was easily adapted for creating synth-crystals; simply replicating the geological processes that create crystals. The raw materials that the crystal was fashioned from were easily accessible, simply being minerals with a high carbon concentration. The raw minerals would be placed within the machine and essentially left to bake for a period ranging from twenty-four hours to four days, during which time, the initiate creating the crystal would meditate on it with the Force, guiding the formation and increasing the potentcy. This level of control over the formation process allowed initiates to create crystals that best suited their needs.[3][4]

Variant

"This synthetic crystal is stronger than the one powering your lightsaber now, and it is much, much stronger than the natural crystals the Jedi use in their own weapons." ―Qordis[src]A Sith lightsaber with a blade generated by an unstable synth-crystal.

In addition to the numerous colors synthetic crystals could be fabricated in, there were also variations in the crystals themselves that affected how they focused lightsabers blades.[3]

Standard

A standard synthetic crystal was created through the successful replication of the geological structure of natural crystals. Standard crystals set the baseline for synthetic crystals in general; they generated a more powerful lightsaber blade than natural crystals, and often demonstrated a red coloration, though that was easily controlled.[3] In fact, synth-crystal blades were so powerful that they had the rare potential to "break the blade" of standard lightsabers by overloading the energy matrix and instantly burning out the other lightsaber. Though this happened extremely rarely, it was a known and frightening possibility in combat.[5]

However, synth-crystal generated lightsaber blades were in general less maneuverable than the blades generated by natural crystals, and were generally more unstable.[5]

Compressed

Compressed synth-crystals were a result of a failure to accurately replicate the natural geological process that formed crystals. The result was a crystal that was far more compressed than natural crystals, causing the blade generated to be considerably thinner than standard blades. However, a byproduct of this thinner blade was that it allowed for greater precision and control.[3] In addition to a thinner blade, the other visual indicators for a blade generated by a compressed synth-crystal were oscillations of energy that rapidly ran along the length of the blade at regular intervals.[6]

Unstable

Like compressed crystals, unstable crystals were the result of the initiate failing to accurately replicate the natural formation processes of crystals. The blades generated by unstable crystals were obviously more unstable than the norm, causing the blades generated to crackle with energy at erratic intervals, sometimes causing sparks to fly or streaks of electrical energy to run along the length. Due to the energy sparking from the blade, unstable synth-crystals caused more damage than normal when they hit enemies. However, they were much more prone to shorting out, causing the lightsaber to deactivate for a time.[3]

History

A batch of synthetic crystals

"At my request, the armorer analyzed the Sith lightsaber that I'd recovered from Wud Mortall. She confirmed that his lightsaber contained synthetic crystals, as did every other Sith lightsaber she ever examined." ―Pernicar[src]

Its unknown when the Sith and other Dark side groups began using synthetic crystals, though red crystals have been in use since the days of the Old Sith Empire, with notables such as Karness Muur and his followers wielding such weapons.[1] However, at the time, most Sith wielded Sith swords rather than lightsabers, though red lightsabers would become the standard weapon after the reformation of the Empire.[7]

The first Sith-follower to take up a red-bladed weapon before the resurgence of the old Empire was the acolyte Haazen, as the previous Dark Lord in power; Exar Kun; and his followers simply continued using their Jedi lightsabers in combat.[8] Darths Revan and Malak followed suit when they rose to power, making the usage of red-crystals widespread among their Sith followers. Due to their common use within Revan's Sith Empire, red-hued crystals were marked as the staple of Darksiders.[2]

The primary reason for the usage of synthetic crystals among Sith and other Darksiders was the need to stay hidden, as most of the sites where natural crystals suitable for lightsabers could be gathered were frequented by the Jedi Order. Eventually, synth-crystal usage among such groups became a tradition, with most members considering the creation of a synthetic crystal superior to the more passive Jedi method of gathering of natural formations, which was looked on as relying on the "untamed wilds of space" to provide. In fact, synthetic crystal creation was viewed by Darksiders to be sign of greater mastery over the Force.[3]

Luke Skywalker's green synthetic crystal.

Conversely, the Jedi frowned on the creation and use of synth-crystals among their initiates, associating this with taking the quick and easy path, as they believed they should rely on crystals found naturally.[3] However, sometimes Jedi were forced to create synth-crystals when a weapon was needed and no naturally occurring crystals were accessible. Notable examples include Luke Skywalker, who used a synth-crystal for his first lightsaber, because he had no knowledge of the natural crystals at that point, and his niece Jaina Solo. Synth-crystals made by the Jedi usually had colors other than red, to avoid similarities with the Sith. Skywalker created a green crystal, while Solo produced a violet one.[5]

In fact, because Darth Sidious had most of the sites where crystals occurred naturally looted or destroyed during the reign of the Galactic Empire, the New Jedi Order had to rely on synth-crystals almost exclusively.[5]

Edited by ScarletBlaze

*sigh* No. All Synthetic crystals are red to begin with, but a few modifications can transform the color to green, blue, purple, ect.

Not so much that they are red to begin with, but that red is the easiest synthetic color to make, and the Sith are fans of "quick and easy," so there you go.

The whole thing with the Force and synthetic crystals is that synthetic crystals are almost universally weaker than natural crystals, leading to lightsabers prone to malfunction, less damage, and sometimes exploding in the user's hand. The Sith found a way to use the Force (specifically the Dark Side, because. . . well, SITH) to make the synthetic crystals stronger. One piece of speculation from the WotC boards was that the Force could be used to align the molecules of the liquid pre-crystalization, like a magnetic field, creating a stronger crystalline structure and therefore, a stronger crystal, thus a stronger lightsaber blade. One would assume Luke discovered/used a similar (probably non-Dark Side) technique when it came time to make his own lightsaber crystal.

Not so much that they are red to begin with, but that red is the easiest synthetic color to make, and the Sith are fans of "quick and easy," so there you go.

The whole thing with the Force and synthetic crystals is that synthetic crystals are almost universally weaker than natural crystals, leading to lightsabers prone to malfunction, less damage, and sometimes exploding in the user's hand. The Sith found a way to use the Force (specifically the Dark Side, because. . . well, SITH) to make the synthetic crystals stronger. One piece of speculation from the WotC boards was that the Force could be used to align the molecules of the liquid pre-crystalization, like a magnetic field, creating a stronger crystalline structure and therefore, a stronger crystal, thus a stronger lightsaber blade. One would assume Luke discovered/used a similar (probably non-Dark Side) technique when it came time to make his own lightsaber crystal.

Well they have to start out some color, so unless you're suggesting they start out clear. :p It always made more sense in my head that it was initially red and then would change colors due to varying factors.

I don't think it's really that they "start out" a specific color, but based on the ingredients and how they are combined and "cooked," the end product will be a specific color. Red is the "default" using the minimal ingredients and instructions required to make a synthetic crystal. making other colors requires different ingredients and "cooking factors."

It's not like you have a red crystal, then add X and turn it into a green one. Rather, you have a "recipe" that will produce a red crystal, and you add X to the recipe, and you get a green crystal.

To carry on the "cooking" metaphor, take a hamburger: ground beef patty, bun. Cheeseburger requires you add cheese while cooking the patty to melt it. Bacon cheeseburger requires you to fry bacon, and add to patty and melted cheese. BLT subtracts patty and cheese for lettuce and tomato. All pretty much variations on theme, but with very different end results.

In any case, the difference is, admittedly, pretty minor.

Truth is, roleplaying is something very much up to the players engaging in it, and actual game mechanics cannot change this. Even with the tightest, most restrictive, most 'canonical' game mechanics and built-in elements, there will always - ALWAYS - be RPers who seek to act outside the norm - and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

That depends entirely on what the person is RPing doesn't it? A smuggler who is roleplaying a grey Jedi, I could accept, and that is widely outside the norm. A Jedi Knight who claims that he is the ancestor of Luke Skywalker, I would not accept, and neither would you I think.

It is easy to say "do not roleplay with them", but then that breaks some immersion in itself. Can you ignore a part of the world? Do you want to shelter the RP-experience, force it into groups of like-minded individuals? The latter doesn't have to be bad but I think the majority of roleplayers would want to see an open world. I think that is what discourages a lot of potential RPers the most, the fact that there is no RP around, and the only RP you find are within guilds. To nurture the RP community, to please the majority, I'd say that some restrictions are needed--BASED ON THE LORE.

The problem I have with Republic Sith Pureblood is that, on this very website and in the Revan novel, we learn that they are:

1: As a species almost 100% force sensetive--with extremely few exceptions. (Apparently only found in the Jedi Knight storyline -_-)

2: A sith pureblood with no connection to the force is executed.

3: The Sith Pureblood race was almost hunted to exctinction by the Jedi Order.

If Bioware themselves came out and said "Oh, but there was an order of Sith Pureblood who joined the republic at this point of time because bla bla bla", then I would be more forgiving. Right now, they've done nothing of that. What they are doing is giving the kids what they want. I'd never thought Bioware would shoot their own story in the foot, but then again, what the hell was Dragon Age 2?

So perhaps my quarrel isn't so much with RP, but with the Story itself. It upsets me that Bioware willingly risks the lore simply by pleasing the majority. The majority who do not care about their lore but only wants to see more playable species.

That depends entirely on what the person is RPing doesn't it? A smuggler who is roleplaying a grey Jedi, I could accept, and that is widely outside the norm. A Jedi Knight who claims that he is the ancestor of Luke Skywalker, I would not accept, and neither would you I think.

I don't recall anyone asking you to accept anything. Your opinion on other people's RP is unimportant. Worry about your own RP. No one needs your acceptance.

The problem I have with Republic Sith Pureblood is that, on this very website and in the Revan novel, we learn that they are:

1: As a species almost 100% force sensetive--with extremely few exceptions. (Apparently only found in the Jedi Knight storyline -_-)

2: A sith pureblood with no connection to the force is executed.

3: The Sith Pureblood race was almost hunted to exctinction by the Jedi Order.

If Bioware themselves came out and said "Oh, but there was an order of Sith Pureblood who joined the republic at this point of time because bla bla bla", then I would be more forgiving. Right now, they've done nothing of that. What they are doing is giving the kids what they want. I'd never thought Bioware would shoot their own story in the foot, but then again, what the hell was Dragon Age 2?

So perhaps my quarrel isn't so much with RP, but with the Story itself. It upsets me that Bioware willingly risks the lore simply by pleasing the majority. The majority who do not care about their lore but only wants to see more playable species.

We are not RPing in the Revan novel. We are RPing in SW:TOR. If the game designers decide that something exists in the game then it exists in the game. If you really want to defend Lore then you need to understand that Lore changes. At the moment your argument is "I like this other Lore better!" As above, that doesn't matter. Your opinions on what is better Lore are unimportant and uninteresting. SW:TOR Lore now allows for Sith pureblood troopers and Jedi -- to try and change that is to go against Lore.

Throughout your post, you seem to confuse how you want things to be for how things are.

We are not RPing in the Revan novel. We are RPing in SW:TOR. If the game designers decide that something exists in the game then it exists in the game. If you really want to defend Lore then you need to understand that Lore changes.

The Revan novel, the original kotor games, SWTOR--the story is the one and the same, no matter the format. You see evidence of the Revan novel all over Taral V, The Maelstrom Prison, Boarding Party and The Foundry. It's a reference-fest for us who read the book.

And like I said in my post, if Bioware themselves gave us ACTUAL lore (not vague guesses and potential excuses from the playerbase) for the Republic Sith Pureblood, I'd be fine. I may think that the lore sucks, heck, most of the Rakghoul stuff in this game sucked in my opinion, but at least it was in the game.

So my gripe here is that the lore hasn't changed. They opened up Sith Pureblood for all classes without any change in the lore.

The Revan novel, the original kotor games, SWTOR--the story is the one and the same, no matter the format. You see evidence of the Revan novel all over Taral V, The Maelstrom Prison, Boarding Party and The Foundry. It's a reference-fest for us who read the book.

And like I said in my post, if Bioware themselves gave us ACTUAL lore (not vague guesses and potential excuses from the playerbase) for the Republic Sith Pureblood, I'd be fine. I may think that the lore sucks, heck, most of the Rakghoul stuff in this game sucked in my opinion, but at least it was in the game.

So my gripe here is that the lore hasn't changed. They opened up Sith Pureblood for all classes without any change in the lore.

You might want to do the Jedi Knight class story before making claims that Bioware hasn't given us actual lore. In addition, it's not like defections are a rare event in the Star Wars universe. Hell, it's not like defections are a rare event in this Star Wars game.