Gaming mouse worth it?

xSHAGNASTYx

This is my first mmo, been exclusive console gamer up til now, and had always been concerned that I wouldn't be able to master the controls. I started with a 3 button mouse and since then have purchased a 5 button mouse and I am loving it. I have mb 4 mapped to target next enemy, and mb 5 mapped for take cover (as I am rolling a smuggler). I have had no issues using hotkeys, but my question is...as I intend on rolling additional characters, would I benefit from purchasing a gaming mouse with more keys or will the 5 button mouse continue to work well for me? The reason I ask is my next character will be a tank and I am wondering with all the taunts, buffs, and abilities, I will start having trouble binding that many hotkeys. Anyone?

My wife plays a lvl 45 tank/hybrid shadow. This is her first MMO. She has all bindings on 1 - = and F1-F12. When we first bought the game she was easily able to use the mouse to move, and hit 1-6 and F1 - F6 with her left hand. However the rest of the hotkeys became troublesome. I bought her the naga mouse and I am completely baffled at how well she does. All of her stuns / personal sheild buffs / force run / trinkets are on her naga mouse thumb buttons and over 1 week she has memorized all 12 buttons.

Maybe girls are just quicker and better at memorizing things but she definatly benifited from it.

I myself know my keyboard very well as i have been gaming for 15 years, 10 of that being in the starcraft strategy game where knowing your keyboard and being fast is important. So i personally was unable to use the naga. It all depends on what kind of person you are. Has nothing to do w/ if you're good w/ mmos or not but if you know your keyboard well or not w/out looking down all the time.

Also, i personally, (Disclaimer: this is a persona opinion no flaming needed here!) think its a waste to have "target next enemy" and "take cover" on your mouse. Those can easily be done w/ your left hand. F = Default for take cover, Tab= default for next enemy.

Save your mouse buttons for debuffs, snares, stuns ..

Edited by Perfectcircle

I don't think the game supports more than five mouse buttons. My Logitech MX Revolution has a thumb wheel on the side, which can be pushed either way (it doesn't rotate all the way around like the scroll wheel on top) and clicked, but the game isn't recognizing any of this. The scroll wheel can be tilted to the sides but this isn't recognized either.

If you do figure out a way to get more than five buttons to work, I'll be very interesting to hear of it, since it would enable me to access more slots on my quickbars in the heat of combat. It could be as simple as needing to install drivers; in theory it should work with the generic one, and it does in Linux, but you never know with Windows. I'll try that tonight and report back.

My wife plays a lvl 45 tank/hybrid shadow. This is her first MMO. She has all bindings on 1 - = and F1-F12. When we first bought the game she was easily able to use the mouse to move, and hit 1-6 and F1 - F6 with her left hand. However the rest of the hotkeys became troublesome. I bought her the naga mouse and I am completely baffled at how well she does. All of her stuns / personal sheild buffs / force run / trinkets are on her naga mouse thumb buttons and over 1 week she has memorized all 12 buttons.

Maybe girls are just quicker and better at memorizing things but she definatly benifited from it.

I myself know my keyboard very well as i have been gaming for 15 years, 10 of that being in the starcraft strategy game where knowing your keyboard and being fast is important. So i personally was unable to use the naga. It all depends on what kind of person you are. Has nothing to do w/ if you're good w/ mmos or not but if you know your keyboard well or not w/out looking down all the time.

Also, i personally, (Disclaimer: this is a persona opinion no flaming needed here!) think its a waste to have "target next enemy" and "take cover" on your mouse. Those can easily be done w/ your left hand. F = Default for take cover, Tab= default for next enemy.

Save your mouse buttons for debuffs, snares, stuns ..

I have the exact same set-up on my Naga. It has really improved my performance in this game. 1 through 6 and F1 through F6(left hand keyboard) are my primary attacks, relics and stims, 6 through = and F6 thourgh F12(Mouse bindings) are buffs, stuns, heals etc.

Works great!

Edited by TheWookiee

I don't think the game supports more than five mouse buttons. My Logitech MX Revolution has a thumb wheel on the side, which can be pushed either way (it doesn't rotate all the way around like the scroll wheel on top) and clicked, but the game isn't recognizing any of this. The scroll wheel can be tilted to the sides but this isn't recognized either.

If you do figure out a way to get more than five buttons to work, I'll be very interesting to hear of it, since it would enable me to access more slots on my quickbars in the heat of combat. It could be as simple as needing to install drivers; in theory it should work with the generic one, and it does in Linux, but you never know with Windows. I'll try that tonight and report back.

Having a similar situation with my Logitech G500, a few of the buttons are not read when trying to bind them in game. Same happens to the Key to the left of 1.

As far as a gaming mouse goes. I could never play any game without one again. I find that with movement and strafing on the left hand. You need to take a finger off of one of the buttons to press buttons around w,a,s,d. If you are strafing left and need to hit buttons on the left, it becomes a slight issue. Same with strafing right and hitting buttons to the right, like e,f,3,4,5. That is why those keys are assigned to static abilities with cast times or channel times.

Anything instant goes on the mouse, and the same buttons with shift, ctrl and alt modifiers. I would love to get more of the buttons working. then less modifiers would need to be used.

I have a G700 (my Revoution having died on me a while back). Logitech's drivers are a bit dodgy with this game, or, I think, any game that runs in Admin mode (on Win7 - I had similar problems in Skyrim).

Fear not, though, because there is a solution. At least for the G700, and I expect it'll work for the Revolution too. There are two ways of doing it.

The simplest way is to use the Logitech setpoint software to map all those extra keys to specific keystrokes in the default mouse profile. I don't like this approach because then those extra buttons don't necessarily do what you expect in other applications.

The complicated way that doesn't lose any functionality, but does allow Admin mode programs to use specific mouse profiles, is to disable any Logitech drivers from loading up when you boot the machine, then start them manually (mouse first, then keyboard, IME) in Admin mode once you have booted. You still need to map most/all of the additional buttons past 5 (and the sidescroll wheel etc) to specific keystrokes (because the game doesn't recognise "Button 6" or higher), and then assign those keystrokes in the preferences keybind tab, but it does work.

This is false btw, you're having some other issue.

1 through 6 and F1 through F6(left hand keyboard) are my primary attacks, relics and stims, 6 through = and F6 thourgh F12(Mouse bindings) are buffs, stuns, heals etc.

Huh -- learn something new every day. For some reason, it just never occurred to me to remap the F-keys to attacks. I only have one primary healer alt, so the F-keys are pretty useless in their default mappings otherwise.

In other words, d'oh!

:rolleyes:

I have a G700 (my Revoution having died on me a while back). Logitech's drivers are a bit dodgy with this game, or, I think, any game that runs in Admin mode (on Win7 - I had similar problems in Skyrim).

Fear not, though, because there is a solution. At least for the G700, and I expect it'll work for the Revolution too. There are two ways of doing it.

The simplest way is to use the Logitech setpoint software to map all those extra keys to specific keystrokes in the default mouse profile. I don't like this approach because then those extra buttons don't necessarily do what you expect in other applications.

The complicated way that doesn't lose any functionality, but does allow Admin mode programs to use specific mouse profiles, is to disable any Logitech drivers from loading up when you boot the machine, then start them manually (mouse first, then keyboard, IME) in Admin mode once you have booted. You still need to map most/all of the additional buttons past 5 (and the sidescroll wheel etc) to specific keystrokes (because the game doesn't recognise "Button 6" or higher), and then assign those keystrokes in the preferences keybind tab, but it does work.

Yeah, installing Logitech SetPoint caused the side buttons to stop working as well. I was hoping installing the drivers would allow the game to access the extra buttons directly, but I guess I'll have to go the keymapping route.

In a word: Yes. I have had no problems mapping my keys through the SWTOR keybinds, and while I dont use every single button, I do use 9 of the extra keys regularly. It has definitely been of use in PVP, and leveling. Havent done enough FP or Ops to speak to that, but I don't see why it wouldnt be just as useful.

I play with a Naga and G13... On the Naga, 1 to = mapped to thumbgrid. All my other 'essential' (and non-essential) keys are mapped to the G13 e.g. strafe left/right etc. It does take a little while to get used to but by the time you've left your starting area, things are sweet! ( well at least I think so :D )

To the OP.

Yes.

I purchased the Star Wars mouse from razer, and I will never go back to the standard mouse for gaming. Ever.

You do not need to purchase that particular mouse... the Naga is far far cheaper, but very similar model.

My main is a smuggler, scoundrel in fact. Pushing buttons with my right hand, allows me to strafe, and maneuver with my left hand, while occasionally hitting 1-4 on my keyboard. And yes I use ALL 16 buttons on my mouse in about 95% of all my PvP fights. And I use the 4 buttons on the keyboard :p

Edited by NightHawke

I remember the day I bought my Naga a couple years ago. So skeptical, and so wary of spending a good chunk of my hard-earned money on a mouse. It seemed so wrong at the time.

Looking back, it was the single best investment I've made in my gaming hobby.

I've played a lot of MMO's and generally gravitate toward melee and tanking classes, and the ability to have 15 buttons on my mouse hand allows me to fight and move at the same time. Once you get used to it (there is a learning curve involved, though it isn't terribly steep), there is no turning back.

If it was a blessing for WOW, it's a freaking godsend for this game, where keybinds are at a premium early on.

Thanks for your input. Sounds like a unanimous thumbs up on the gaming mouse. Probably go with a naga as they seem to be the favorite of most.

Also, I love the remapping of the f-keys idea. So simple but never occured to me. Thanks again!

I have a Logitech G9x gaming mouse. It has 6 buttons I can bind to whatever. Plus I bind SHIFT and ALT + the buttons. So Thumb button is one ability, Shift + Thumb is another and ALT + Thumb is a 3rd. That gives me 18 binds I can do with that alone.

Once you get used to it, it's hard to imagine how you played without one.

ive played MMOs for years, and got a razor naga for SWTOR....there is no way in hell i would go without it now. wasnt first sure when i ordered it but its totally worth it.

This.

I should have bought this wonder years ago.

I use the 3 top rows with alt and shift modifiers. The last row is for abilities used out of combat.

I kept only a few things like next target, strafing, cover, sprint and stealth on my keyboard.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.