Why does it take an hour to receive credits from the GTN?

Screaming_Ziva

When you buy an item on the GTN, you get it right away but when you sell an item, you have to wait an hour to receive the credits. It doesn't really bother me but I always wondered why there is a delay in receiving credits. Anyone know?

Because that's how they do it in WoW.

When you buy an item on the GTN, you get it right away but when you sell an item, you have to wait an hour to receive the credits. It doesn't really bother me but I always wondered why there is a delay in receiving credits. Anyone know?

Most MMO's of this style do this. I've never been able to get a clear answer from it, but I would take a guess that it has something to do with RMT. I'm probably wrong, but I doubt there isn't a good reason for it.

Because that's how they do it in WoW.

This is what I think too.

Biodrones just blindly copied it from WoW without a second thought.

And it may be tied to some anti-cheating system somehow, nobody says it has to take an hour.

It is a mechanism that restricts gold farmer/sellers abilities to shift massive amounts of gold/credits etc around between mule storage and farming accounts instantly, thus hampering their operations. It forces them to act in patterns that can be more easily tracked and analyzed via transaction logs.

The delay can be handy if somone finds a break or exploit. It slows down the impact of any possible economic damage. There may be other reasons too.

To me real the real question given the amount of time you list things for is, "Why is another hour an issue worth posting on?".

Has to do with some form of game verification/anti-cheating system, I believe.

This. If a suspicious transaction is happening they can check it before something happens like the credits ending up in the hands of someone they can't take them away from(innocent player).

They do this in WoW too. It's not only a time sink. When my account was hacked the user started farming materials and selling them on the auction house. Someone told me right after buying some of the materials he was given his money back and he got to keep the mats he bought.

Edited by JCommando

This. If a suspicious transaction is happening they can check it before something happens like the credits ending up in the hands of someone they can't take them away from(innocent player).

...uhh... umm... like the billions of creds cheaters stole and distributed through the stack exploit?

Maybe the functionality will be there at some point, but I highly doubt that they currently have the ability to freeze an in-game transaction.

Edited by face_hindu

...uhh... umm... like the billions of creds cheaters stole and distributed through the stack exploit?

Maybe the functionality will be there at some point, but I highly doubt that they currently have the ability to freeze an in-game transaction.

One can hope. And its entirely possible for them to stop an in-game transaction.

Really, the entire mail system was ported from WoW.

Besides... when did you EVER see a mailbox in Star Wars?

With just 2 hours of creative thinking, they could have done something cool, something which could be perceived as innovative. Instead, we get WoWmail.

Because Bioware isn't Blizzard? Why don't you stop complaining about how similar the mail systems are and just go with it? It's an MMO. I don't think it can be much different.

You work for BioWare Austin, don't you.

Mr. Ohlen?

The system is probably set up in such a way to help prevent such things, but that doesn't mean its going to catch everything.

Because Bioware isn't Blizzard? Why don't you stop complaining about how similar the mail systems are and just go with it? It's an MMO. I don't think it can be much different.

The person you're addressing is of the, "Oh, it's played online?? Must be a WoW-clone!" crowd.