Funeral for a friend...Goodbye my Slinger

DarthSunshine

I just can't do this anymore. The Gunslinger is the worst class in this game. Sure I can do 300K damage in a game but what DPS class cant. This class is broken. I'm 63 Valor and this is terrible. I thought it might be gear separation. But I'm half BM and I'm still hitting for 2.5 - 3K average when not critting and the HP of enemies has gotten excessive. Sorcs with 18K health? Ill be dead by lightning long before my 2.5K kills him.

That's not even considering the shield he gets. We can't touch BHs or Juggs because our abilities are mitigated by armor. Let's also consider the root mechanics. If I'm rooted, I can't drop into cover which means I have 4 abilities to cast none of which do any decent damage. But as soon as im rooted, melee classes eat me alive. The cover mechanic still doesn't work on all surfaces. If te surface is uneven cover may not drop. And as of 1.1.5 our DOTS will not prevent capping.

This is truly an awful class. Take it from a BM slinger. If you're thinking of rolling this...pass. By the time your enemies have BM, you are shooting water pistols at a freight train. Until this class gets a major overhaul I will not play it anymore. I'd rather roll a class that works like a Trooper or Sage.

Being 65 valor, you should already know that SS sucks at 50 in pvp. It is the first mistake that many of you do.

GS´s needs some fixes with cover system, better defenses (improving Defense screen, Pulse detonator should not need cover, etc) and better energy management but dmg is quite good and not being SS, you are not a turret, good mobility and very fun to play.

Being 65 valor, you should already know that SS sucks at 50 in pvp. It is the first mistake that many of you do.

GS´s needs some fixes with cover system, better defenses (improving Defense screen, Pulse detonator should not need cover, etc) and better energy management but dmg is quite good and not being SS, you are not a turret, good mobility and very fun to play.

Yes it does. You DF?

I am also a slinger, currently rank 70. I must say I have to disagree with some of your points. SS/Sab hybrid is perfectly viable for PVP I have no idea why you dont think that it is not. The combination of hunker down and xs freighter cast on yourself is enough to kill any melee class that tries to tackle you. If you have BM gear or champion you should be able to rip through sorcs very very quickly use a combination of distract/flash and kick to interrupt their casts. I dont remember the last time a sorc killed me 1 vs 1 and im usually left with about 40-70% hp and the fight usually lasts about 5 seconds. what spec are you currently using? Edited by Sekker

I am also a slinger, currently rank 70. I must say I have to disagree with some of your points.
You're a lot more polite than I would have been.

Tanksassins are way more trouble than Sorcs.

I just can't do this anymore. The Gunslinger is the worst class in this game. Sure I can do 300K damage in a game but what DPS class cant. This class is broken. I'm 63 Valor and this is terrible. I thought it might be gear separation. But I'm half BM and I'm still hitting for 2.5 - 3K average when not critting and the HP of enemies has gotten excessive.

I play a tank assassin and i have 1 move that can hit for 3k on crits and it usually require 3 harnessed darkness stacks + a relic.You hit that on average and are complaining?

Yeah sure ill survive a lot longer than you,but im not killing anyone while doing so.

3k avg hit gives u what 3.5-4k crits? on a 18k hp pool thats 20% hp gone,5 shots like that and hes dead.You are a pure dps class ,you shouldnt have the utility a tank/healer has.otherwise you d be unstoppable.

My biggest issue with the gs is that I feel its really ridiculous that every other class on republic has the ability to scan stealthers except for Smuggler. I think that we need it more than anyone due to the lack of hp.
They do? Wish I knew how to do that on my Seer.

But yes, GS is poor at solo defense v. stealthers. Against (or with) any frontal assault, on the other hand, a GS swings the odds considerably.

You are a pure dps class ,you shouldnt have the utility a tank/healer has.otherwise you d be unstoppable.
What's not clear to me is what class he thinks GS should be more like. An even more turrety ranged DPS that's easily 1v1ed by casters (Gunnery/Arsenal) due, among other things, to a distressing lack of ranged interrupts? Melee DPS, with all of the downsides that causes? I guess there's the silly Sage/Sorc hybrid FOTM, but that's obviously next on the nerf line. Edited by flem

Assassin are hard for GS ( especially for DF spec ) but with the good spec sorcerers is doable if he doesn't kitte behin pillars/cleanse.

I agree our dps is pretty fine in WZ PUG but our gameplay is broken . Against good premade , If a GS is poping it's like saying " Ho look , a motionless turret in medium armor with ridiculous defensive coolodwns , gogo zerg him " . Yes , flyby + hunker down is a good trick , but if oppenents are good and smart it's almost lose . Don't forget the numerous bugs ...

Energy managment will be a major problem for sustained burst at 1.2 too . 1.2 will say us if the GS will be competitive (or not ).

I agree our dps is pretty fine in WZ PUG but our gameplay is broken . Against good premade , If a GS is poping it's like saying " Ho look , a motionless turret in medium armor with ridiculous defensive coolodwns , gogo zerg him " .

That assumes that you have no team support, no? It's not common for a gunslinger to have much support in pugs, thus the perception that they're an easy target. If someone is actually guarding and/or healing you, your defences are more than adequate to get the nuke off and lay down some damage.

@supercrep : yes you're partially right , with a good comp you can take down easily a lot of things, GS are the best when not spotted .

However , you can't deny that we are very very squeeshy compared to other classes and if we are going to do 1v1/2v2 during a rated WZ our motionless and our cover mechanic will be a complete disadvantage ( hard for kitting, survive ). Furthermore , I think that our regen mechanic won't flavour us for long/midlong fights ... In pvp , motionless has never been an advantage , even if you are the highest dps ...

Edited by Tsubibi

Look, GS is not worst class in game period. They are best dps and u can do way more than 300k if you are playing it right. I've seen gunslingers do almost 1 mil dmg. They do need some work on their defense but they make up for it with high dps.

@supercrep : yes you're partially right , with a good comp you can take down easily a lot of things, GS are the best when not spotted .

However , you can't deny that we are very very squeeshy compared to other classes and if we are going to do 1v1/2v2 during a rated WZ our motionless and our cover mechanic will be a complete disadvantage ( hard for kitting, survive ). Furthermore , I think that our regen mechanic won't flavour us for long/midlong fights ... In pvp , motionless has never been an advantage , even if you are the highest dps ...

I think people underestimate the advantage you actually get from cover. You can't be pulled or interrupted. I'm SS spec, so in addition I get ballistic dampeners and a hunker down that's available about 2 thirds of the time. That's pretty significant when you figure that I also have 2 knockbacks (aimed shot and pulse detonator) and 2 snares (pulse detonator and leg shot). Also aoe armor shield, ranged interrupt, etc. The ballistic dampeners can be refreshed every 6 seconds, so when the opponent is snared or cced I can get up, move away, and plant again to get three more.

IMO it's not that gunslingers are super squishy compared to other classes. It's that the tools a gunslinger posseses have to be actively used to stay on top of the situation. If you get caught off guard you can go down pretty fast. But I think that's also the appeal for a lot of people. You have to have some skill and good strategy to make it work and that's why the class is rewarding.

I agree on the team element, a lot of players treat pvp as a team deathmatch while the scenarios are objective based, so as a static ranged DPS we're reliant on melees to intercept enemies which doesn't happen.

On the vs sorcerer. In a straight fight with nothing on cooldown and similar gear, you should be able to take one.

I agree on the team element, a lot of players treat pvp as a team deathmatch while the scenarios are objective based, so as a static ranged DPS we're reliant on melees to intercept enemies which doesn't happen.

On the vs sorcerer. In a straight fight with nothing on cooldown and similar gear, you should be able to take one.

Unless your really really bad its a L to the P issue for real.... Peeps want to sit and kill anything that moves without breaking a sweat that's all that will make em happy.

I am also a slinger, currently rank 70. I must say I have to disagree with some of your points. SS/Sab hybrid is perfectly viable for PVP I have no idea why you dont think that it is not. The combination of hunker down and xs freighter cast on yourself is enough to kill any melee class that tries to tackle you. If you have BM gear or champion you should be able to rip through sorcs very very quickly use a combination of distract/flash and kick to interrupt their casts. I dont remember the last time a sorc killed me 1 vs 1 and im usually left with about 40-70% hp and the fight usually lasts about 5 seconds. what spec are you currently using?

I totally agree 100%. People that complain about GS damage are either undergeared, underskilled or use the wrong spec. SS/Sab or "sabslinger spec" is the only spec i use in pvp and i absolutely destroy all classes.(i agree tank assasins can be difficult). Sorcs are a joke, they get taken down in 5-6 globals. First thing you do is hunker down, as soon as that is done you win.

With the a 23/16/2 spec, your contingency charges will chew through most classes like a chainsaw. I usually start off with Shock Charge, flourish shot, smugglers luck, instant charged burst, trick shot, 1.5 sec aimed shot from talents (with the smuggler luck crit), sab charge, Speed shot. Speed shot directly after your sab charge is extra deadly because of the contingency charges going off every 1.5 seconds. If at this point they still aren't dead, which most are, hit em with quickdraw. I usually get the anhilater medal once a game, or for sure 1 out of every 2.

Also dont forget when you spec in the ss tree Balistic Dampers are very good. Derease the damage of 3 incoming attacks by 30%. Can rinse and repeat every 6 seconds on that. You defensive cooldowns aren't the best or longest but when timed properly they are satisfactory.

Hope this helps a little, I think the prob some people also have is using dirty fighting. You dont live long enough usually to kill the person that is on you, also you dont have the damage mitigation that the ss tree provides (as well as being in cover alot less). My point is with this (sabsinger)spec you kill them so fast i doesnt matter if you are relativly squishy.

My toon is full BM/2 piece Rakata mixed in. Valor 66. I will admit our class seems to be more gear dependant than others.

Edited by Unversed

To play a Gunslinger well one must have two things; be highly skilled (there are a lot of skills that come into play) and to have a certain level of gear. Whereas, besides Sentinel, the other advanced classes do not suffer from these drawbacks to the degree a Gunslinger does.

Gunslinger does need some loving in the form of survivability, which is general the gripe of most, and a couple tweaks in their overall damage. Overall damage can be improved by adjusting the OH accuracy penalty from -33% to a lesser number.

Edited by Junostorm

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.