RIP Ralph McQuarrie

ltspiers

Ralph McQuarrie, the visual mastermind behind almost everything we see in any Star Wars movie or game, has become one with the Force.

Amazing how some of the most popular film characters and scenes got their start in his head, including images from Battlestar Galactica, ET and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Everyone do yourself a favor and fire up a Google image search of this guy. Absolutely amazing.

RIP Ralph McQuarrie

He was well known for being not just an amazing artist, but an incredibly nice guy who really respected the fans and lovers of his work.

One recent story stems from his work on Battlestar Galactica. The original filming model of the Galactica had been acquired by a group seeking to restore it for public display. They ran into just one problem. The original landing bay that you saw on screen was actually a matte painting done by Ralph that sat inside the model. But the painting had long since gone missing. There were no good images of what it was supposed to look like. At a loss the restorers contacted Ralph asking of he had a saved photo or copy of the picture that they could use for the model on display. Instead of pulling out a copy for them he not only recreated and repainted the original matte by hand himself. He also made a matching but slightly different one for the opposite side hanger (which had never had an actual detailed landing bay. When filming they simply flipped the film to show the starboard hanger instead of the port). He figured since the model would finally be displayed for 360 viewing it should have both hangers showing. The modelers were stunned and overjoyed when the package containing two new matte paintings and a very nice letter from RM arrived in the mail.

Just a really nice guy.

He was well known for being not just an amazing artist, but an incredibly nice guy who really respected the fans and lovers of his work.

One recent story stems from his work on Battlestar Galactica. The original filming model of the Galactica had been acquired by a group seeking to restore it for public display. They ran into just one problem. The original landing bay that you saw on screen was actually a matte painting done by Ralph that sat inside the model. But the painting had long since gone missing. There were no good images of what it was supposed to look like. At a loss the restorers contacted Ralph asking of he had a saved photo or copy of the picture that they could use for the model on display. Instead of pulling out a copy for them he not only recreated and repainted the original matte by hand himself. He also made a matching but slightly different one for the opposite side hanger (which had never had an actual detailed landing bay. When filming they simply flipped the film to show the starboard hanger instead of the port). He figured since the model would finally be displayed for 360 viewing it should have both hangers showing. The modelers were stunned and overjoyed when the package containing two new matte paintings and a very nice letter from RM arrived in the mail.

Just a really nice guy.

Great story.

One of my good friends, when he heard about this, immediately said, "He made a galaxy far, far away close enough to reach out and touch."

I think that sums it up pretty well. As an artist, writer, and all around tool for Star Wars, I'm really saddened by this news.

Some other statements since his passing:

George Lucas: ""Ralph McQuarrie was the first person I hired to help me envision Star Wars. His genial contribution, in the form of unequaled production paintings, propelled and inspired all of the cast and crew of the original Star Wars trilogy. When words could not convey my ideas, I could always point to one of Ralph's fabulous illustrations and say, 'Do it like this.'"

On his website (I love this): "There's no doubt in our hearts that centuries from now amazing spaceships will soar, future cities will rise and someone, somewhere will say... that looks like something Ralph McQuarrie painted."

RIP, Ralph.

Edited by Vecke

Yeah... sad news. All the worlds we're playing in began with him....

There's an example of his excellent imagination on the BBC website - a picture of the bounty hunters, including Boba Fett, who appeared in Empire. Amazing to see that such iconic characters came from one painting.

You can see it here

Edited by UltimateKrucible