The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Am I just too bad at this game

Nekrian

So I'm on empire on taasaa bareesh server. I play a juggernaut and simply put, I am struggling. I do mostly pvp as I pvp'd a lot in wow as a paladin. However I do sucky dps here as there are so many abilities to keep a track of.

Are there any simple classes for me to have a go at? I want to dps, but jugg just has so many abilities to watch. Please advise.

Thanks in advance

Well, as a Guardian, I don't have enough room on my four quick bars to keep everything I want accessible. From what I understand, by end game, it isn't much better on other characters, either. To top it off, at least with guardian, because of the different cool-down times and the like, there isn't a set "cycle" like in other games; the order I'm using my skills in is constantly changing.

I would suggest taking the time to get used to it in PvE, where things are significantly less hectic. Start with some 1:1 fights, and work your way up towards 1:5.

Don't quit. You just happen to choose one of the most difficult classes to play in the game. Do a little research into the advanced classes before rolling one. Quick easy answer for you is to keep the one you have as an alt to toy with on the side and re-roll into a Merc. or Commando.

Best foot forward.

PVP a few levels, take them on the chin, to get you ahead of the game and then get to questing....you'll be too powerful but can really learn to use your abilities better and better and then when it comes time you are on par and new abilities come along they'll slot straight in and you'll be ready to go.

Done deal

Worked just as nicely in wow and see no problems with it here

Best foot forward.

PVP a few levels, take them on the chin, to get you ahead of the game and then get to questing....you'll be too powerful but can really learn to use your abilities better and better and then when it comes time you are on par and new abilities come along they'll slot straight in and you'll be ready to go.

Done deal

Worked just as nicely in wow and see no problems with it here

Probably the most user-friendly way to learn skills and rotations is to take on an elite or even a champion-type mob that's more than five levels below your character. At that point, the level-based damage-mitigation multipliers ensure that you're pretty much immune to any damage the mob might do to you, while the mob itself is still tough enough to live long enough for you to play around with various attacks and see what they do.

WoW's paladin is their class designed to appeal to the casual player, and keep them subscribed. The Paladin is the quintessential class for RPG's. Bliz plays on this by providing a class that is competitive with little to no skill, right up until endgame.

This game really has no classes like this, though some argue that classes are overpowered, this is a 'new game' thing - there are no classes deliberatly overpowered or casual player friendly.

You can get better with practice, mastering rotations/priority skills and energy management, proper crowd control, and gear statting.

I am a good pvper, my guild pvp team in wow fights at 1800 rating and I myself have played in and around the 1900 bracket in 3v3. Howeverm there is a profound lack of control available to warrior's other than a slow, a force push which then necessitates a force leap.

I find force choke seems to just fail a lot, as does ravage.

Is a Powertech or Vanguard any simpler? I like the style of them, and I know there is an excellent guide by Taugrim on them.

Thanks

I am a good pvper, my guild pvp team in wow fights at 1800 rating and I myself have played in and around the 1900 bracket in 3v3. Howeverm there is a profound lack of control available to warrior's other than a slow, a force push which then necessitates a force leap.

I find force choke seems to just fail a lot, as does ravage.

Is a Powertech or Vanguard any simpler? I like the style of them, and I know there is an excellent guide by Taugrim on them.

Thanks

Juggs/Guardians and Vanguards/Powertechs are similar in the number of abilities they manage. You won't notice a drastic difference. If you're having trouble, you might try playing and understanding your abilities more. Juggs are a in a very good place right now in PvP.

Juggs have a slow. They have a channeled stun. They have a jump. They have a targeted knockback. They have an intercede. They have an AoE fear. They have an AoE taunt. They have guard. They can sunder armor. That's a full stable of useful PvP utility abilities and provides a substantial amount of control and affect on the environment besides damage (which is more than viable in PvP anyway). There's not "profound lack of control" with a Juggernaut, to be honest. It's quite the opposite.

So I'm on empire on taasaa bareesh server. I play a juggernaut and simply put, I am struggling. I do mostly pvp as I pvp'd a lot in wow as a paladin. However I do sucky dps here as there are so many abilities to keep a track of.

Are there any simple classes for me to have a go at? I want to dps, but jugg just has so many abilities to watch. Please advise.

Thanks in advance

And this is where the term "WoWtard" comes from.

And you must be where the term unhelpful thread leeching d-bag comes from.

Thanks very much for the talk about juggernaut. I understand that maybe jugg does have a lot of abilities that make them good for pvp, but that's just my problem - the sheer amount of abilities they use on a regular basis. Although i have ended quite high in other mmo's (wow - sue me) I wouldn't call myself too skilful. Particularly to be able to balance all the abilities of a jugg as well as learning the building rage mechanic which I usually avoid I.e warrior in wow- ruuuuuuun!!

I appreciate all the helpful tips. I don't appreciate the unnecessary insults, but it seems you cant escape everything that WOW had including trolls

You have picked a hard class to get used to i know because i did it too but there has been alot of good advice on here it really is just getting used to the class, you can interrupt any thing that channels using force choke, force push or the plain interrupt ability we have which i always forget the name of, simply play around i wouldn't bother with a solid rotation depending on your spec there is certain ones you just want to use as soon as there off cool down for example force scream is always a good damage dealer.

hope some of that helps :)

Probably the most user-friendly way to learn skills and rotations is to take on an elite or even a champion-type mob that's more than five levels below your character. At that point, the level-based damage-mitigation multipliers ensure that you're pretty much immune to any damage the mob might do to you, while the mob itself is still tough enough to live long enough for you to play around with various attacks and see what they do.

This is great advice. For instance I was fighting the world boss on Dromund Kaas as a level 50 and while it had like 200k health, none of its attacks could hurt me so I had plenty of time to time my abilities and CDs.