Hero Engine: why?

Tokeee

You can't just modify engines to do anything.

Some times it takes more work to fix an old engine then build a new one.

It's the reason they keep making new engines for games.

Given time you actually can, just take a look at the different games one engine can support

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo

That's Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Civilization IV made using the same engine.

And they don't build new ones all the time, most often they just rework the old engine and add new features, Crytek has for the last decade just improved their Cryengine each time they start working on a new game. Every Call of Duty game as well since the 3 has been running on the same engine, you can't compare Call of Duty 3 and Black Ops 2 and don't say they have achieved a lot with the same engine. Even the latest game in the Elder Scrolls series still runs on a heavily modified version of the Gamebryo engine, but it has seen extensive remodeling sine they started using it in Morrowind.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWTOR is the saddest example of taking a game which has arguably the highest potential to become a groundbreaking MMO and making it something akin to stick figures in comparison.

They have the lore to make it big.

They have the size of the Star Wars Galaxy for expansion.

The same to implement a space sim part to the game.

The potential is massve, yet one doesn't feel immersed into the game like they should.

Can you imagine how epic this game would be if it looked and felt like FF14 or even if they used their own engine which they used for The Force Unleashed, instead of making it look and feel like a Star Wars game from 2003

SWTOR is the saddest example of taking a game which has arguably the highest potential to become a groundbreaking MMO and making it something akin to stick figures in comparison.

They have the lore to make it big.

They have the size of the Star Wars Galaxy for expansion.

The same to implement a space sim part to the game.

The potential is massve, yet one doesn't feel immersed into the game like they should.

Can you imagine how epic this game would be if it looked and felt like FF14 or even if they used their own engine which they used for The Force Unleashed, instead of making it look and feel like a Star Wars game from 2003

A wild necroer appears!

pissandmoanpissandmoanpissandmoanpissandmoanpissandmoanpissandmoanpissandmoanpissandmoan

pissandmoanpissandmoanpissandmoanpissandmoanpissandmoanpissandmoanpissandmoanpissandmoan

Yawn.

Edited by scratcha
grammar

That just about covers it.

Dude's running for President it would seem. That's him rehearsing.

You can clearly see the whole heralding this game as the greatest thing ever, potential wise, but the people who were given the mantle were inept at it.

Dimeetz for President. NAWWWW.

Well, the "whys" are unimportant at this stage IMO....it is a done deal. I would think most folks could postulate that the engine choice and manner in which it was modified was a poor choice....one of many poor choices the original dev team made IMO.

I think its important to look at two things here.

1) improvements have been made in the game (perhaps with the engine) that could be made, or at least one can assume as much.

2) Code folks are a pretty innovative bunch. They may yet find new and interesting ways to improve the engine in ways that were thought impossible in the past.

It is my hope they have someone tinkering with it on a regular basis.

Well, the "whys" are unimportant at this stage IMO....it is a done deal. I would think most folks could postulate that the engine choice and manner in which it was modified was a poor choice....one of many poor choices the original dev team made IMO.

I think its important to look at two things here.

1) improvements have been made in the game (perhaps with the engine) that could be made, or at least one can assume as much.

2) Code folks are a pretty innovative bunch. They may yet find new and interesting ways to improve the engine in ways that were thought impossible in the past.

It is my hope they have someone tinkering with it on a regular basis.

I highly doubt it Artemis. There is one reason we call it the VillainEngine and thats because it can't even allow moderately sized world PvP. Most of the fixes are bandaids at best, and bugs/exploits have returned from the past only for EAware to take weeks (or even months) just to patch up the problems. The sad part is it's just that: they're patched. Under that bandaid the wound still exists, just covered up by coding until the bandaid "expires."

Edited by TORtanked

I highly doubt it Artemis. There is one reason we call it the VillainEngine and thats because it can't even allow moderately sized world PvP. Most of the fixes are bandaids at best, and bugs/exploits have returned from the past only for EAware to take weeks (or even months) just to patch up the problems. The sad part is it's just that: they're patched. Under that bandaid the wound still exists, just covered up by coding until the bandaid "expires."

rest assured there is a team of monkeys (sorry interns) hard at work pasting in random engines until you are again happy and can change your name to TORWorked....

While I do understand that the current state of the engine is poor, especially with respect to game additions and improvements, I have in the past found myself genuinely impressed with the innovation that "code mechanics" can have. I have seen the impossible become possible on many occasions.

Frankly all they need is a lucky break.