Do you ever skip purchasing skill ranks while leveling?

DJRK

I don't skip getting higher ranks, but I also do not go out of my way to go get the higher rank. I generally don't get my skill ranks till I am done with the whole planet, so about every 3-5 levels I will purchase all the skills from the last 3-5 levels.

I don't buy the higher ranks of stuns or snares. Why am I going to pay 50 or 100k to fully rank up an ability just to do an extra 50 damage on a move I can do every 15 seconds or 1 minute? Talk about a waste. Edited by Ulmius

of course!

there is some abilties that you dont need to upgrade, and you can get by by upgrading them later at 50 when you get a lot more cash

example :

sniper's leg shot..

why do i want to pay 40k to get 100 more dmg on a skill that barely does 600 at max rank?

you use it for the snare, not the damage, so why would i spend 40k on upgrading an abilities damage when its not on my dmg rotation anyways?

there are others, like flash bang that also can get by without upgrading till later...

things like snipe, ambush, shield probe, etc. do get an actual benefit from upgrading, for shield probe it absorbs more dmg (ive tested it, it just doesnt say how much more in tootip but it does) and the rest of the stuff is what is my main abitlies so you wanna keep those as high rank as possible

Never ...

The first thing I do is when I just got a new lvl I use my 18h fleet cd if I'm in the middle of nowhere and train all the new stuff.

If I don't have the cd ready I'm completing the quest(s) which are near and then go to fleet or starting point of the planet.

Never had troubles with credits to buy everything.

I find that there are certain skills that I'm not finding it worthwhile to throw down the $ to upgrade to the higher ranks. I'm not talking about skills that I don't use at all, but rather as a Sentinel, I've got certain skills like Leg Slash, that the importance of using it is for the snare effect, and not so much the damage, and it looks like you get the entire effect of the snare right from the first rank. I wasn't really paying attention at first, and I did upgrade from rank 1 to rank 2, but then I noticed the upgrade to rank 3 would have cost me nearly 20K, for no increase in the utility, and an upgrade of a measly 20 points of damage. Definitely didn't seem worth it. I noticed a similarity with my Force Leap ability, which again, I use for the utility (charge attack and/or interrupt), and the latest (expensive) upgrade will only increase the damage by 20 points (less than 5% damage increase).

The way I figure it, when I've got more credits than I know what to do with it, I'll upgrade these, but in the meantime, is it safe to say I'm being smart to pass these for now, and only buy the upgraded ranks for my skills that actually do solid DPS?

I will absolutely skip skill level upgrades from the trainers on occasion.

I know that a few of my skills are the "big" weapons that I use in every fight. Those will do the most damage and they're the ones that I use most often. I always have an eye for upgrading these first, since I'll get the biggest return.

But when some of the other skills become really expensive, and I see that it only increases the damage range from a max 359 up to 389 or even 409, I will often skip those.

First, it saves credits, and second, it actually serves to make the game a little more challenging.

Eventually, though, you will need to begin upgrading them to some extent as the mobs get even more advanced, or you'll start to get your hat handed to you in fights.

As a Sorcerer I don't have the max rank of Tumult and Thrash. I never use them, so I don't see why I should bother even though I can afford buying them.

Tumult really should be made available for use In PvP. Healing Sorcerors/Sages I think are the only healing class who does not have a reliable ability to get a 2.5k hit on somebody. Put it on a 1 minute timer for all I care.

In it's current state, yeah it's pretty useless. Can't be used in PvP and can't be used while raiding... hey, kind of like companions.

Edited by JohnSixteen

I skipped the one BH skill that's only usable on incapacitated targets and makes less damage on stronger mobs...I bought the first rank of it and realised I'd never use it as a merc, so I didn't bother to buy the second rank. every class seems to have these useless skills (I think a Juggernaut even has 2 or 3 of these)

I also haven't bought the higher ranks of the first weapon cylinder you learn (the one for the pyro tree). I only played Arsenal while levelling and now as a healer I only use the combat support cylinder. So it would be wasted money for me to buy that cylinder.

Yep, it's called Blitz for commandos, and it's near useless so I didn't bother after trying rank 1.