What do they do when they maintain servers?

boleole

"You can say your *****ed your finger, just don't say you fingered your *****."

For some reason, your post reminded me of that.

George Carlin...

Also, leave the Hamsters alone or Boo will be very angry. You do not want Boo to be angry, he is smarter than you !!!

Also everybody knows that the main power cable gets connected to the forum servers during maintenance to extract energy from all the hate...heat...both

George Carlin...

Also, leave the Hamsters alone or Boo will be very angry. You do not want Boo to be angry, he is smarter than you !!!

Also everybody knows that the main power cable gets connected to the forum servers during maintenance to extract energy from all the hate...heat...both

Majik is gud, but now MINSC RULES!!!!; SWORDS FOR EVERYONE

haha gotta love reading this thread, But when launching this game, A BIG MMO, why not go all out and buy the best hardware from start? so, how can they upgrade the best hardware? :p

I guess they could do alittle tweaking on the servers.

Server: Im full

Operator: Force, you are only half-full

Server: Im half-full

Anyway! shouldint they be back up now?

Have you ever let your computer run non stop for a week? You ever notice how slow it is after a while? The cache starts to build up, file systems get fragmented, little ghosts start popping up in the machine, before you know it Hugo Weaving is turning all your desktop icons into clones of himself. Its a nightmare.

Now imagine a computer a million times bigger than yours, running at loads yours never does and using up bandwidth that you WISH you could match on your best Torrenting night. That puppy needs some love and care. Think of it like a pit stop for a race car. NASCAR or Formula 1 cars are pretty much the pinnacle of automotive performance design. These things go like crazy, but they need serious maintenance to keep them in the zone.

An MMO server is no different. Just imagine Stephen Reid standing over a car engine while some nerd works on it saying 'look my twitter box is blowing up... can you go any faster?'

"Stephen... I"m an artist."

"Alright fine." SR looks at his phone- "You have 372 new tweets"

"FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU:mad:

Edited by P-Funk

haha gotta love reading this thread, But when launching this game, A BIG MMO, why not go all out and buy the best hardware from start? so, how can they upgrade the best hardware? :p

It takes time to breed the best Hamsters, you forget that for every new server they have to get two hamsters together, make a nice meal, play a little Barry White. Without that spark of romance, you've got nothing to power your game.

They also, in all likelihood, create a backup of the data image of the server. This is a crucial bit of MMO maintenence that is often a bit hard/annoying to do when servers are live and running.

Imagine this: someone spills coffee on the server and it takes out all the hard drives. All of them. Somehow. It's like a keg of coffee or something. Either way, normally you've lost all the player data and everyone would have to start over from zero. If you have a backup, though, you can simply load that onto your replacement hard drives and keep going.

Rollbacks in such a situation can suck, but it sure beats the alternative.

They also, in all likelihood, create a backup of the data image of the server. This is a crucial bit of MMO maintenence that is often a bit hard/annoying to do when servers are live and running.

Imagine this: someone spills coffee on the server and it takes out all the hard drives. All of them. Somehow. It's like a keg of coffee or something. Either way, normally you've lost all the player data and everyone would have to start over from zero. If you have a backup, though, you can simply load that onto your replacement hard drives and keep going.

Rollbacks in such a situation can suck, but it sure beats the alternative.

DUH! icloud!!!

The first step in any healthy server would be deamagnify the base articulators in the :C, :D, and usually :F drives. The :E drives, if you even have one will be best left alone to reaticulate on its own or with the Norton Enterprise redundant re-articulation service (depending on how many magnets the :E drive supports. Next, vacuuming out the dust with an incredibly powerful vacuum cleaner ( I have seen them they are the size of a small car) , because just a spec of dust can grind even the most sturdy Apple ~I Beam Rack Laser Servers. I'm making the assumption they are using this ~I Beam technology because it is the industry standard.

Then of course defrag AFTER the prior steps are completed.

I'm sure someone else in the industry can validate these steps. There is more of course but what I posted is the defacto standard for pre and post catalytic rack server technologies past 2010.