Only 4 medals count for score

Rishara

More medals does not equate to a better player. It just doesn't.

More medals ONLY means you took actions to get more medals. It's absolutely ZERO measurement of a player's skill or contribution to the team.

THIS would encourage people to PLAY TO WIN. Which in ANY other team competition is the primary and sole goal. As it should be.

Agreed, i reread my post and i see that is how it came off, my bad. Medals do show that you are doing good things however, bad players wouldnt be aware of what these good things were. A player that taunts and guards will get medals and is also a better player then someone who does not use these skills(yes i know not all players can guard/taunt its an example). Facts are that most medals reward you for a good thing(not in all situations), someone who just presses tracer missile will not get as many medals as someone who knows how to play their class.

Anyway, to the OP's point, why add 13 something medals in 1.2 if you are basically making them worthless in 1.1.5? It gives players something else to do when winning is either not possible due to a bad team or if you are on the other side of the coin and winning is inevitable and you want to do more.

***? You must apparently be one of those who is bad? I'm saying people who are better should be rewarded more for their efforts than people who suck. That's all.

This response says it all. He feels he is entitled to more, cuz he is so uber awesome at PvP.

More medals does not equate to a better player. It just doesn't.

More medals ONLY means you took actions to get more medals. It's absolutely ZERO measurement of a player's skill or contribution to the team.

Your boss analogy is exactly the viewpoint that is requiring this change. Medal #5 is NOT an accomplishmentt. It's just medal #5.

The ONLY accomplishment is winning. Frankly I wish they'd just remove medal rewards entirely. Except that they encourage people to at least participate and not just AFK.

If it were up to me.

Win = valor/commedations

Loss = nothing

Medals = name only, no rewards

AFK = boot kick in 20 seconds of inactivity, + vote to boot kick option.

Quit/Disconnect/AFK/VoteKick = 15 minute lockout. the same duration of the warzone you quit.

THIS would encourage people to PLAY TO WIN. Which in ANY other team competition is the primary and sole goal. As it should be.

If losses were worth nothing when it goes 3-0 in huttball the losing team would just give up since there is no incentive to play hard the rest of the game and still get nothing. Might as well lose as fast as possible then.

Agreed, i reread my post and i see that is how it came off, my bad. Medals do show that you are doing good things however, bad players wouldnt be aware of what these good things were. A player that taunts and guards will get medals and is also a better player then someone who does not use these skills(yes i know not all players can guard/taunt its an example). Facts are that most medals reward you for a good thing(not in all situations), someone who just presses tracer missile will not get as many medals as someone who knows how to play their class.

Anyway, to the OP's point, why add 13 something medals in 1.2 if you are basically making them worthless in 1.1.5? It gives players something else to do when winning is either not possible due to a bad team or if you are on the other side of the coin and winning is inevitable and you want to do more.

So because i'm a sniper and the only realistic medals i can get reliably are:

75K Damage

10 Kills

QuickDraw

and 2.5K hit

and usually 25 kills unless its a heal fest

I am a worse player VS a tank that does 76K damage, AoE's a few peeps for splash kills and does easy guard for 2-3 or more medals added to his 75K, 25 kills, Quickdraw and usually 2.5K hit aswell?

The problem with the current medal system is that some classes (healers especially) are harshly penalized while other hybrids get the comparitively EZ mode to medals (i know its still not easy but most of the protection medals are jokes to get on my PT) if they are half competent.

Edited by Ogadai

This is a good change all around, medals were a neat idea but they just didn't end up working well in practice.

Under the new system:

Healers don't get totally screwed on medals.

Hybrids/tanks don't progress at a compartively insane rate.

You can still E-Peen with your medal count if you want.

Hopefully it'll encourage objective focusing and less medal farming.

Lets face it, the number of medals you got in a WZ was very rarely a product of your skill or contribution and typically more a product of your class role and abilities.

No, they are making it so frag monkeys like you will focus on objectives instead of totally ignoring them and loosing WZ to get 9th or 10th medal.

Lol, did you miss the part where I said i was a healer? I have never gotten 9 or 10 medals. Doesn't mean I think this new system is the answer.

And my point about the kill credit for healers is that I think it will end up having healers swing too hard the other direction on medals. I mean really, I keep up most of the team, and I'm going to get credit for all of their kills? Seems a bit much, but I guess we'll wait to see how it is actually implemented.

For instance, if everyone just stands in my circle of heal, do I get kill credit for every person they kill during that time? Or if I throw bubbles and hots on everyone?

Edited by Rishara

So basically, they are making it so any mediocre pvp'er can get the same amount of commendations that any good pvp'er can? It's pretty difficult to NOT get 4 medals in a pvp zone unless you are afk'ing or really really suck.

Why add all the objective based medals (they claim they are adding in 1.2) then nerf the crap out of medals? Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

And, I have a feeling the healers getting kill credit medals for healing those who kill is going to swing things way overboard. Yes, I'm a healer. I think healers were getting the shaft, but now this seems like it will be a bit much. Not that it matters much (see above with the 4 medal limitation)...

You must be one of the bad pve players who hides behind the fact tha he can grind pvp medals and armor and thinks he has skill now.

Who cares what the mediocre people get? Even if the loser gets more medals, I still get the win, and I am going to be higher ranked than the mediocre players.

Just go to the pve carebears if you think that the winner should be awarded with stuff that makes winning even easier

***? You must apparently be one of those who is bad? I'm saying people who are better should be rewarded more for their efforts than people who suck. That's all.

Then play rated warzones like the rest of us. Having a reward system that encourages people to farm and not try to win is just dumb.

Well, I agree with you on that, but they are supposedly adding 14 new objective based medals into the system to fix this in the 1.2 update. That's what I was saying. Why add the objective based medals if they're just not going to count for anything?

because this change likely wont remain in 1.2, like many of the others thare are only temporary

Yes only 4 medals will count, but if you want more comms, valor, etc you have to then focus on winning the wz instead of farming for more medals. I believe this is how it should have been from the begining.

So lets say I already have 4 medals and the game went

0-5 in Huttball

200-450 in Alderan

Now what do I do? Focus on winning the wz? Assuming no quit no afk.

So lets say I already have 4 medals and the game went

0-5 in Huttball

200-450 in Alderan

Now what do I do? Focus on winning the wz? Assuming no quit no afk.

Play and improve your skill instead of farming medals and let the gear replace your skill

I don't really understand the medal farming crowd. I assume they mean people who refuse to defend non-focal points in Voidstar/Alderran. I honestly don't see this problem all that frequently. The only other medal farm medal would be the assassin medal, but I hardly count that one as it almost never occurs.

I play a healing commando, and personally believe that in 95% of my games, if I'm not contributing some damage at points, I'm not playing to the potential of my class.

I generally pull 80k-150k damage and 350k-500k healing, which secures me 8-11 medals depending on defense/5k heal. Most games that I win, I could win without contributing that damage, however, the current system encourages me to do so - be it help burst a healer or finish off the DPS at a node so we can start capping. My dealing damage in these cases actually helps us win.

I like that there is more weight put on the first 4 medals, since in games where I have to heal full time (Voidstar where the other team DPS is far better than ours), I'd likely get only 4-6 medals, but I would like to see the scaling down rewards for higher amounts of medals as some minor incentive for playing maximally in the rest of circumstances.

To balance out the medal gain for ACs, the pure DPS classes should likely gain access to an additional two medals somehow, possibly through heals reduced for Mara/Sent, though I don't really have a clear idea for Sniper/Gunslinger. And a loss of the easiest attained protection medal for tank ACs. If they did aim for evening out medals based on AC and spec then it may be necessary to implement a method for tank speced tank ACs to get an additional medal since realisitically 31 points in your tank tree makes 300k damage virtually unattainable while most other hybrids have access to 6 of 8 in their - pick two from dps/heals/prot.

TL;DR

I'm rambling a bit from the topic, but my point is, medal farming isn't the epidemic that some people claim. Hopefully the objective medals will help balance that out, but Bioware could balance the attainable medals in an hour of planning and another of coding. There should be some (reduced) benefit for going beyond 4 medals. Healers are the one spec that would RARELY not benefit from it (my made up number = 5% of the time, in the afore mentioned circumstance), and this healer is for it as the positives outweigh the negatives.

Edited by Typheuss

Getting above 8 medals isnt possible if youre just trying to win the game, nothing else.

People should be glad the system is balanced now. Healers finally get the same amount of medals, same for ballcarriers and stuff.

This thread is purely based on a selfish perspective and you should all be ashamed (The ones that want more rewards) for wanting more than they deserve.

Equality is everything and it saddens me to see some noobs cry they dont get to medal hoe anymore, completely abandoning the team just to get 10-14 medals and be like OMG I WAS THE BEST PLAYER OF THE GAME MVP ME.

Shame.

This change is a good thing. It stops people from farming. Now we might actually get people to play the game and do the objective instead of farm and we might be able to get more warzone matches in now...

Fianally i wont have to do stoopid things to get medals.

And to the chap that says he will guard noone - winning will be bunch more valor and commendations, so no, you dont have to guard anyone, but you will deny yourself a nice reward if you lose :eek:

And you will have to stay to the end of the match.

Edited by GrandMike

as a commando healer, I have to agree it's a good thing for teamwork. I won't have to dps in cases I would have been better healing, to get that 75k dmg medal or the 25kills ones, just to max out valor gains.

4 medals means that in any game we'll just get max valor, and victory / defeat will make the difference.

That's how it shouldve been from scratch.

Have I honestly read posts by people ************ about tanks getting medals?

1. You lived 50% longer than you should have, thank the tank that just died taking your damage.

2. The guy that was fighting 5 other guys on the door/turret console... he's a tank and he kept them from capping until help arrived.

3. Tanks don't do a lot of damage, but they do hold objectives and keep healers and dps alive.

4. All of those "invincible/unbeatable" sounds probably have a tank involved somewhere.

A game gives tanks a crucial role to play and people have the audacity to say its easy mode playing a tank. You see a tank do 100k protection you better vote his *** MVP b/c believe me it's not "easymode" to pull that off. People will whine about everything.

Play and improve your skill instead of farming medals and let the gear replace your skill

Sounds like highschool basketball coach. Well that was a bit longer than "Get out there and win" though. No offense.

Well unfortunately this is an instanced pvp match. Medals are the only incentive to play hard even in 4th quarter garbage time after the fate of the game is sealed. It's not like we have coaches and girlfriends at the sideline screaming.

For all the people who dislike medals, then why have them at all? Why don't we just get rid of them? Capping at 4 and still having the medal system (and even EXPANDING IT) is what I'm saying is stupid.

And for the record, I play warzones to win and get the objectives, so you all saying I'm selfish and just want medals is ridiculous. I play a healer and I'm not f'n selfish in warzones. I don't know how many times I've sacrificed myself just to get people off the doors in voidstar because dps'ers are pew pewing and not even paying attention that someone is trying to cap. Or I'm stuck at a stupid node in Alderaan the entire match because nobody else will stay to defend it because they're off trying to get kills elsewhere.

Most of you must just be too stupid to understand what I'm trying to say apparently or don't bother to try to see my point.

I think you are all from the "Youth Soccer" generations where everyone wins and EVERYONE gets a medal! YAY!

Edited by Rishara