Leveling As a Healer

I just hit 28 this morning and I'm having a real hard time justifying staying heals. I'm ok with the idea of letting my companion do the majority of the damage while I heal, but Kaliyo just seems to suck at both tanking and dps. As a tank, she just doesn't do enough damage and fights with even packs of weak enemies take forever, and as dps she's really squishy with mediocre dps (tank gear could be affecting this, but still...).

I believe I'm pretty close to getting my second companion, so if things don't get better with him, I'm likely to respec. I enjoy doing Warzones and the occasional flashpoint as a healer, but it's just slowing me down too much while questing.

So does it get easier or should I just go ahead and respec?

Some people cry about how Kaliyo is a terrible tank, but nobody has shown any evidence that any companion tank is any different. I leveled as a healer up to 50 with Kaliyo tanking for me and she did fine as long as I kept her geared up. Each time I got a new companion I geared them up and tried them out, hoping that they would be a suitable replacement, because I didn't always like Kaliyo's personality, but every single time I quickly went back to Kaliyo. Some people say that SCORPIO is a better thank than Kaliyo, but the only real difference between them is that SCORPIO is a melee tank whereas Kaliyo is a ranged tank.

As I gained levels I did go into more of a hybrid spec so that I could do more damage while retaining enough healing ability to heal Flashpoints and Warzones, but once I hit 50 I respecced fully into heals so that I could be the most effecient Operations healer I could be. However, after completing the normal flashpoints and then the hardmodes I became more and more dissatisfied with Operative healing in comparison to the other healers and have subsequently stopped playing my Operative altogether. I'm leveling up a Powertech tank and am having more fun than I ever did as an Operative.

Edited by JColquhoun

My only other toon is a 50 arsenal merc which felt invincible because my healing companion could keep me up and I could dps fast enough. I tried both tanks I got on my BH but companion tanks just didn't feel right.

My main problem with Kaliyo is that, as a heal specced Op, I'm able to pull off of her main target with backstab, shiv, and an overload shot or two.

I think my other problem might be that I leveled my BH with armortech so I constantly had up to date gear for Mako from that, allowing me to take commendations for myself from quests. I took Biochem on my Op but because of that I'm constantly having to juggle taking commendations and companion gear from quests (especially if the companion gear is a very minor upgrade).

The main thing that gets to me is that I have 3 possible play styles right now:

1) Kaliyo tank, I dps - this means I'm ignoring most of my talent points and having to heal up after every fight

2) Kaliyo tank, I heal - this is viable, but killing anything takes foreeeeever

3) Kaliyo dps, I heal - this seems decent, but I find myself having a hard time with silver or gold mobs

The more I talk about it, the more I think I'm convincing myself to at least go hybrid.

I never had too much of an issue with Kaliyo holding threat. She has a single target taunt, and AOE taunt and two AOE damage abilities if you enable them all, in addition to her other single target abilities. As long as I played smart, DPS'd in between healing Kaliyo I was fine. On fights with 4 or 5 mobs I might end up tanking one, but the whole point is to get through the fight with minimal downtime and without dying. With that playstyle, and being able to choose which fights I wanted and which I didn't, for the most part, because of my ability to stealth through everything, I didn't have many problems.

...for the most part, because of my ability to stealth through everything, I didn't have many problems.

Heh, I think that may be one of my bigger problems. I got to Alderaan at the end of lvl 25 when it's recommended for 28. Unlike my BH, I skipped clearing stuff out of the way when leaving caves/facilities/etc and thus missed out on some valuable xp.

I was heal spec all the way to 50. I never had any problems with Kaliyo. I actually prefer Kaliyo as tank over Scorpio (never use her). On boss fights, I always use Kaliyo to tank. The fights are generally longer, but it's almost a guaranteed win. I can even do elite mobs with Kaliyo as tank.

For normal mobs/quests, I use Ensign. I prefer her dps over Vector. I felt questing was good pace as heal spec. You can try switching to Concealment spec for quicker kills and then go back to heals or whatever once you reach 50

I would not recommend leveling as a operative healer. I leveled scoundrel heals from 1 to 50 and it was painfuly slow. The only good thing was the fact that you could pretty much solo any single mob including champions given enough time.

Level as Concealment with a tank companion. She holds the mobs while you destroy them. When you finally get Hidden strike you will kill almost any normal mob in a hit and your leveling speed will be very quick.

Operatives just do not do enough dps without talents to justify leveling as heals. I almost have my 3rd toon to 50 and leveling as a IA healer was by far the slowest process.

I would not recommend leveling as a operative healer. I leveled scoundrel heals from 1 to 50 and it was painfuly slow. The only good thing was the fact that you could pretty much solo any single mob including champions given enough time.

Level as Concealment with a tank companion. She holds the mobs while you destroy them. When you finally get Hidden strike you will kill almost any normal mob in a hit and your leveling speed will be very quick.

Operatives just do not do enough dps without talents to justify leveling as heals. I almost have my 3rd toon to 50 and leveling as a IA healer was by far the slowest process.

Agreed with this, I don't see why anyone in their right mind would level as full heal spec. All you need before level 50 is 11 points in healing; My Op is level 40 right now and I've been the main or only healer in every FP up to Colicoid so far without any problems whatsoever with just 11 points into heals. Meanwhile, by putting the rest in Concealment it makes killing and leveling so much faster.

As for Kaliyo, I dropped her as soon as I could. She died in about two seconds against any elite mob and she was so bad that my Op did a better job tanking than she did. Some people say she isn't bad tanking if you gear her up, but just think how strong your other companions would be if you used that gear for them instead.

Personally, I use primarily DPS with DPS companion for normal mobs, harder mobs I use Doctor Lokin as I started to have trouble dealing with elites.

Edited by hulkweazel

I leveled my Operative as heals and it was insanely easy. Quest reward, item or commendation. pick the commendation use them to buy Kaliyo tank gear. I solo'd 2man heroics all the way through to 50. Its easy if you keep her properly geared. Normally just throw the two probes on her and dps till she got to 50 or I hate two TA and burned those to keep her higher. Plus you can CC humanoid and beast mobs. Also you can stun or flash bang mobs in case she drops really low. Scorpio blows cause she's a lot harder to gear unless your a cybertech. Edited by SilverBlink

You're almost there. I hate Kaliyo, too. But, at 30, you get your heavy melee DPS character!!!! I feel he has more survivability AND damage. Not only did he help me level, he follows my personal alignment, so I get +++ affection. Oh, and I'm female (Ingame, not IRL), so that's good.

So yeah its a male LS DPS. Near end of Alderaan.

I solo Heroic 2 with Kaliyo. It goes pretty fast. Here's how I level:

- Weak/Normal Mobs: Fragmentation Grenade/Flashbang/Fragmentation Grenade

- Strong Mob with normal adds: Fragmentation/Kaliyo attacks strongest (command her)/I kill standard mobs then heal kaliyo

- Elite Mob with adds: Sleep Dart Elite/Finish adds/Let Kaliyo attack Elite, while I go position myself behind him/alternate between Shiv/Dot/Lacerate/Backstab/Heal

- Multiple Strong Mobs: Kaliyo draws them in, I heal. Debilitate + Eviscerate for some quick damage + Frag grenade

- Multiple Elites: Stun 1 (make sure AoE damage abilities are unselected on kaliyo). Let Kaliyo pull the rest. Heal is a bit more extensive, so I make sure mobs are Dotted up.

- Champions: Same as with one elite mob. This usually takes longer. DPS rotation included

Don't just wait and heal your companion. Place yourself behind the targets and stab them... make sure kolto probe is always on kaliyo en Surgical Probe can be used when she falls below 30%

I only play a healing Operative.

I leveled as a healing Operative with Kaliyo only (except for that one portion, you know what I mean)

I had no trouble beating every Heroic 2 and normal quest.

Make sure you are doing all the quests, so that you are at the level of the quests you are on (or a level over). I was consistently at this level and was fine. I did flashpoints when they were red had no problem healing them (depending on team make-up)

Its very easy to level as a completely healing specc'd Operative.

My only other toon is a 50 arsenal merc which felt invincible because my healing companion could keep me up and I could dps fast enough. I tried both tanks I got on my BH but companion tanks just didn't feel right.

My main problem with Kaliyo is that, as a heal specced Op, I'm able to pull off of her main target with backstab, shiv, and an overload shot or two.

I think my other problem might be that I leveled my BH with armortech so I constantly had up to date gear for Mako from that, allowing me to take commendations for myself from quests. I took Biochem on my Op but because of that I'm constantly having to juggle taking commendations and companion gear from quests (especially if the companion gear is a very minor upgrade).

The main thing that gets to me is that I have 3 possible play styles right now:

1) Kaliyo tank, I dps - this means I'm ignoring most of my talent points and having to heal up after every fight

2) Kaliyo tank, I heal - this is viable, but killing anything takes foreeeeever

3) Kaliyo dps, I heal - this seems decent, but I find myself having a hard time with silver or gold mobs

The more I talk about it, the more I think I'm convincing myself to at least go hybrid.

I had almost exactly the same problems when I leveled my Scoundrel. I ended up choosing your third option, companion DPSes while I heal, and it was miserable. At level 40 I set the Scoundrel aside, to explore other options, and now my Commando healer is about to hit 50.

But while playing the Commando, I discovered something that makes me want to go back and try my Scoundrel again. If I spec for healing, but play like a hybrid (attacking until we need healing, healing until we're OK, and then attacking again), encounters are a lot more fun. As a team, my companion and I do a decent amount of damage and the story moves along at a good pace. It also ends up being great practice for PvP, where you're much better off, even as a "dedicated healer," if you can do a little bit of damage.

I haven't tried this yet on the Scoundrel, but I wonder if it would work the same way. It's such a major switch from my previous passive approach, that I'm thinking of starting an Operative and leveling him up for a while, so I can learn the new style of play without having to worry about so many buttons.

Does anyone else out there play their Operative healers this way?

Edited by signahead

Does anyone else out there play their Operative healers this way?

I would hope everyone leveling as a healer does. You're just wasting time if you're standing idle waiting until healing is needed.

For the vast majority of fights while leveling, even with a DPS companion (which you should probably be using for any non-group quest target), the only healing necessary is probably a stack of Kolto Probe. You should be spending most of your time and Energy DPS'ing.

Edited by Ginnem

I've found two specs that have really helped with leveling. They're both heal-heavy hybrids. It allows you to do some decent damage while still being a respectable healer for flashpoints and group missions. And if you're smart, you can solo just about any 2+ in the game.

Note: I suggest, for both builds, to start with 2 points in Incisive action and then head down the DPS tree. Being able to bring up TAs while healing is indespensible. And it lets you switch pretty effortlessly into the healing role.

---

Medicine/Lethality

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#401rffMzhoRzZhZhrbkM.1

Allows for strong DoTs, letting you sit back a bit and give you breathing space while healing. Edit: Adjusted a mistake in the spec.

---

Medicine/Concealment

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#401rffMzhoRzZMIModzZ0z.1

My personal favorite simply because it feels less passive. Also gives the run speed and stealth boost and Revitalizers is great for reducing down-time.

---

Both specs go 25 into Medicine simply because a fully specced Surgical Probe is just that good (and why not improve Tox Screen while you're there).

YMMV, obviously, but I thought I might bring them up to let other people give them a try.

Edited by Geras

I would hope everyone leveling as a healer does. You're just wasting time if you're standing idle waiting until healing is needed.

For the vast majority of fights while leveling, even with a DPS companion (which you should probably be using for any non-group quest target), the only healing necessary is probably a stack of Kolto Probe. You should be spending most of your time and Energy DPS'ing.

It took me 40 levels to figure this out. I was so focused on developing healing skills and maintaining that excellent endless Operative/Scoundrel healing rotation that I neglected DPSing altogether. It sounds like the OP might be doing the same thing.

Edited by signahead

It took me 40 levels to figure this out. I was so focused on developing healing skills and maintaining that excellent endless Operative/Scoundrel healing rotation that I neglected DPSing altogether. It sounds like the OP might be doing the same thing.

Here are 2 perspectives,

My operative is heal-spec, just finishing tatooine, starting Alderaan at 28, and it still goes quite fast. I start the dps (assuming no CC is needed) so that I'll have 2 useful kolto probes running. I alternate my TA on Carbine Burst and KI (will be SP in 2 levels) most of the time. It's been doing well, BUT, I may be speaking too early because...

My Mercenary was running heal spec just fine until Alderaan. Healing Gault SUUUUUCKED (and it's not like I was going to do heals + Mako). So on Alderaan, I went DPS + Mako (I preferred Pyrotech to Arsenal... tried both). But now on Belsavis, I've gone back to heal spec + Blizz and it's quite nice. So I think it was dependent on having a suitable companion for the content.

Nope, I was dpsing until heals were needed. I was able to kill stuff just fine, it just felt like it was taking forever.

As of this morning though, I got my second companion and have been enjoying him a lot more. He takes damage a little harder than Kaliyo, but not by much, and his damage output is a LOT higher so he's not having to hold multiple mobs for as long. I may be imagining things too, but with Kaliyo I had trouble topping her off, but with Vector it's not really much of a problem. For some reason Kaliyo just couldn't stay alive while tanking 2 strong enemies, but Vector can (despite the light armor). This could possibly be because Vector can kill the first one without me while I focus on keeping him up whereas Kaliyo in tank stance would take several minutes to kill one strong mob by herself.

I only have to spend another point or two before I get Surgical Probe, but after that I'll be able to put the rest in concealment. For now I think I'm gonna stick with healing.

yep and conceals levelling speed advantage is overstated.

Which talents exactly benefit nade damage and carbine burst? None - No kill sopeed advantage on trash pulls. If they save TA for their Lacerate on those pulls vs burning it for a proberly stacked CB they are slower.

silver pulls - ok free backstab means you can use one of your other dmaging CD abilities easier without going OOM - overload shot being the likely candidate after lacerate and of course the love of tqalented lacerate. Conceal kills these fast but even in medicince when geared silvers drop before I got aorund to a second shiv. AKA under 8 seconds.

Conceal adds the downtime on the backend of inside and underground fights of topping off their companion and their health. Medicine with probes running not much transition downtime. Outside you mount to do that and it's instant.

Conceal bypasses content a little faster and easier than medicine stealth enyhancements and speed boost.

I would be very surprised if you took the same player who knew both playstayles that you would see much measurable difference if they both played aggressively. If medicine plays like a combattant with HOTS with a properly geared companion and themselves they can push through stuff fast.

If you are a healer though you play alot like a conceal minus the free backstab every 9 seconds and missing the damage boost of lacerate and extra crit. AKA go rambo with hots running saving your time at the end of the fight not during.

I've been full specced in healing all the way and only put my last points in the other trees in my very last levels before 50. But I've been doing a bunch of quests with a friend so maybe I didn't have a problem because of that. But I think if you use your highest dps skills and then heal, and when their off cooldown use them again it will be fine. Thou it will take a bit longer then a arsenal specced merc - since thats a lot more dps than a OP's healer will ever get.

I am currently 45 and I've leveling full med spec until now. When I got Vector, I tried him out and I disliked him. He couldn't hold agro as good as Kaliyo when we have multiiple mobs. I prefer to heal my companion than tanking mobs myself. I have no problem keeping Kaliyo up through out all of my leveling. I do heroic 2 by myself with Kaliyo. My Kaliyo is geared as much as me up to mid 30s. Then she's kind of lagging behind. I noticed her losing agro couple of days ago. So I checked her gear, then I noticed that I haven't upgrade her weapon/armor in several levels. I got her a new barrel, then made some new mods, armoring, enhancements for her slots. Then her performance jumps right back. Last night, we were able to take 2 silver and 1 elite together (human and droids). I sleep the elite, send Kaliyo in on one of the droids, cc the other one. Quickly kill the first one, then go on to the elite and keep the droid cc. I ended the fight with full health and full energy. Kaliyo was about 40%. But as long as she doesn't die, it doesn't matter. I dps, heal when needed, and keep the droid cc until we finish the other 2. I would skip regular mobs and go for elites whenever possible. It doesn't take that long at all. Vector's dps is better but since he can't hold agro as well, I still prefer Kaliyo over Vector. Kaliyo just suits my style better I guess. But one thing very important is always keep your gear and your companions' gear up to date. It does help tremendously.

yep and conceals levelling speed advantage is overstated.

Which talents exactly benefit nade damage and carbine burst? None - No kill sopeed advantage on trash pulls. If they save TA for their Lacerate on those pulls vs burning it for a proberly stacked CB they are slower.

silver pulls - ok free backstab means you can use one of your other dmaging CD abilities easier without going OOM - overload shot being the likely candidate after lacerate and of course the love of tqalented lacerate. Conceal kills these fast but even in medicince when geared silvers drop before I got aorund to a second shiv. AKA under 8 seconds.

Conceal adds the downtime on the backend of inside and underground fights of topping off their companion and their health. Medicine with probes running not much transition downtime. Outside you mount to do that and it's instant.

Conceal bypasses content a little faster and easier than medicine stealth enyhancements and speed boost.

I would be very surprised if you took the same player who knew both playstayles that you would see much measurable difference if they both played aggressively. If medicine plays like a combattant with HOTS with a properly geared companion and themselves they can push through stuff fast.

If you are a healer though you play alot like a conceal minus the free backstab every 9 seconds and missing the damage boost of lacerate and extra crit. AKA go rambo with hots running saving your time at the end of the fight not during.

You don't understand how Concealment Ops work. We don't even have to fight trash mobs. We just skip to the objective. Completing quests gives FAR more experience than killing mobs. Sure, heal spec can do this as well, just not even close to as effective without the +3 stealth and +15% movement speed.

Also, you underestimate Acid Blade, which basically lets you kill normal mobs in one hit and very nearly doubles your damage output.

So maybe before you say people don't understand heal specced Ops, you should actually try to understand concealment Ops. And yes, I was specced in medicine for a while. Concealment Ops kill twice as fast and can bypass far more content with ease.

Ok, Janeping, as medicine Vector is my best companion... He's not supposed to pull agro off you, he's supposed to dps therefore I can take the agro and heal myself while Vector dishes the damage.

And, hulk, medicine can spend 7 points in concealment for the +3 stealth and +15 speed too, we can bypass mobs just as easy.

Edited by Sookster

You don't understand how Concealment Ops work. We don't even have to fight trash mobs. We just skip to the objective. Completing quests gives FAR more experience than killing mobs. Sure, heal spec can do this as well, just not even close to as effective without the +3 stealth and +15% movement speed.

Also, you underestimate Acid Blade, which basically lets you kill normal mobs in one hit and very nearly doubles your damage output.

So maybe before you say people don't understand heal specced Ops, you should actually try to understand concealment Ops. And yes, I was specced in medicine for a while. Concealment Ops kill twice as fast and can bypass far more content with ease.

In which case it's easy to understand how you found Kaliyo's taking ability lacking. You're skipping a lot of XP from killing MOBs, and gradually will find yourself outleveled and outgeared. I also think you're wildly overestimating the XP benefit of stealthing missions. You're traveling past all those mobs filled with XP and loot, you may as well kill them before you go on your way.

My operative is only level 20, but I'm finding the performance of my med spec with Kaliyo to be thoroughly awesome. She's mad-tough, requires little direct attention while I focus on efficiently dispatching foes with shiv and backstab.