Is this game every going to start looking like Star Wars?

getdownsb

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it lacks atmosphere and immersion which can help to give me the feeling of being INSIDE a "living" but virtual representation of the star wars universe.

.....to me, with some slight adjustments this MMO could be any other sci-fi / sci-fantasy MMO.

Edited by Tarka

Star Wars is not set in the future ;) "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away"

Too tempting to make a Spaceballs "When will then be now" Joke

But yeah, TOR does look very much like Star Wars. Heck TOR Corellia > SWG Corellia

I mean come on:

Bumblebee Lightsabers

Lawnmower Speeder

XFL Sholder pads

3D Google Glasses

I just... I mean, what. Serious what the eff. Did any of the designers watch Star Wars?

just to let you know that starwars has alot more to it than the films, there is at least 11 books that i know of, lot more would be my guess.

however some of the raid bosses i have seen look very un-starwars like. a huge monkey?? a lava monster?? i don't know why but i'm thinking more "lord of the rings" than "starwars"

Maybe you didn't get the memo...

This is taking place 3,000 years before the battle of Yavin!

A lot changes in 3,000 years...

And yet, not much actually has when you analyse the game.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but there are a lot more similarities with the movies era than you are admitting.

Edited by Tarka

To me it lacks atmosphere and immersion which can help to give me the feeling of being INSIDE a "living" but virtual representation of the star wars universe.

.....to me, with some slight adjustments this MMO could be any other sci-fi / sci-fantasy MMO.

So if we remove defining elements form a genera it starts to look similar to something else.

Really?

Edited by Quraswren

And yet, not much has :)

Very true, but when I hear people griping because it doesn't like Episode IV... I get agitated.

This is happening just prior to the Golden Age of the Republic. After the Republic defeats the Sith Empire they won't be challenged by another galactic super-power --again--.

The world isn't going to look like Episode IV. And what's this OP complaining about the segway style speeders? Those were all over Episode II and III. Dooku gets on one, Anakin Skywalker takes one out when he attacks the Tuscan Raiders on Tatooine.

People need to think, watch, and observe before offering stupid criticisms that mean nothing.

This is the OLD REPUBLIC. Things are going to look... different.

So if we remove defining elements form a genera it starts to look similar to something else.

Really?

Yes really. MMO's are supposed to instill an emotional attachment to the player. That emotional attachment helps a great deal towards encouraging players to continue subscribing.

Now, if the entire encouragement hangs purely on the inclusion of a small number of iconic gadgets, a title and very little else, then trying to instill emotional attachment in the player can end up being a much harder task.

The point is that Star Wars (or any other IP for that matter) is NOT just about lightsabers, using the force to justify magic and giving players the title of "Darth". The concept is much deeper than that.

But to some (not everyone), this MMO currently fails to capture that feeling, that essence.

THAT is why STO, AOC and others flopped in my opinion. They failed to capture the essence of what it is to be in that particular gameworld. They tried to focus a little too hard on small number of "iconic" bits to sell their respective products and forgot about the rest.

Edited by Tarka

Like people have said, the game is in a different era than the visuals we grew up with in the movies. However, it has a feel that is close enough to the movies that does portray a Star Wars effect. Which makes the game both different and same at the same time. My preference however would be to be playing in the New Republic setting, but I guess the fact that the Jedi were decimated and Sith practiced the 1 Sith 1 Apprentice rule wouldn't work well for the game.

EU in this context refers to Expanded Universe. Which is basically everything Pre-Episode 1 and Post Episode 6

Yeah, and George Lucas pretty much ruined 90% of it.

I'm sorry, but the death of Emperor Palpatine isn't going to see roaring crowds on the streets of Coruscant. That's not how power vacuums are filled.

Very true, but when I hear people griping because it doesn't like Episode IV... I get agitated.

This is happening just prior to the Golden Age of the Republic. After the Republic defeats the Sith Empire they won't be challenged by another galactic super-power --again--.

The world isn't going to look like Episode IV. And what's this OP complaining about the segway style speeders? Those were all over Episode II and III. Dooku gets on one, Anakin Skywalker takes one out when he attacks the Tuscan Raiders on Tatooine.

People need to think, watch, and observe before offering stupid criticisms that mean nothing.

This is the OLD REPUBLIC. Things are going to look... different.

If something looks different, that doesn't necessarily mean it has to ugly though.

Take some of the art design for armour (especially the end game PVE stuff), some of it is downright hideous. Common sense alone would suggest that an Inquisitor wouldn't run around wanting to look like a giant Jawa with two Star Destroyers for shoulder pads. That's just not practical.

Mind you, TOR isn't the first to have hideous art design for some of its armour sets. WoW had its fair share over the years as well.

Edited by Tarka

I mean come on:

Bumblebee Lightsabers

Lawnmower Speeder

XFL Sholder pads

3D Google Glasses

I just... I mean, what. Serious what the eff. Did any of the designers watch Star Wars?

It'd be pretty boring if everyone was wearing brown robes and black vests.

I mean come on:

Bumblebee Lightsabers

Lawnmower Speeder

XFL Sholder pads

3D Google Glasses

Looks like Star Wars to me. Maybe youre still in WoW?

P.S Get past level 15 and you wont see the bumblebee lightsaber anymore. Get to level 40 and you can get yourself a non-segway speederbike like in RotJ.

No idea what the hell youre talkin about with the rest ... again, WoW?

If something looks different, that doesn't necessarily mean it has to ugly though.

Take some of the art design for armour (especially the end game PVE stuff), some of it is downright hideous. Common sense alone would suggest that an Inquisitor wouldn't run around wanting to look like a giant Jawa with two Star Destroyers for shoulder pads. That's just not practical.

Mind you, TOR isn't the first to have hideous art design for some of its armour sets. WoW had its fair share over the years as well.

LOL And now you know why I never rolled a Sith.

I have to say, Imperial Agent end-game gear and PvP gear looks... much... better.

I mean come on:

Bumblebee Lightsabers

Lawnmower Speeder

XFL Sholder pads

3D Google Glasses

3.000 years before movie saga.

Problum, timeline progress?

LOL And now you know why I never rolled a Sith.

I have to say, Imperial Agent end-game gear and PvP gear looks... much... better.

Agreed. The Agents gear does look more functional and practical, although my agent often looks he's off to join a parade walking down a main street somewhere (too much spangle and shine in my opinion).

The thing I don't really like is the lack of variety in landscapes. For instance if you were to change the colors of Hoth to the colors of Tatooine or vice versa, I think the planets would look almost identical.

Also on Hoth and Tatooine if I have anti aliasing enabled I get this odd shimmer effect at the edges of the textures, if I turn off anti aliasing this goes away. I have no idea why it does this but I am pretty sure that is why it was not enabled at launch, so instead of fixing it they just decided to enable it and let it slide as is...:mad::rolleyes:

Edited by Rahl_Windsong

My Jedi makes me feel like a Jedi.

My Trooper makes me feel like a trooper.

My Smuggler makes me feel like a smart ***.

And they all love kickin' Imps while their down.

My thoughts as well.

It's all perception.

I guess the OP has a problem understanding what 3000 years would do to a civilization, it social dynamic as well as it technology.

Edited by Quraswren