How do names work when realms merge?

HKDeath

I'll live but my account won't. It will be cancelled with the quickness.

While I appreciate your concern you don't actually own your character so unfortunately should server merges happen your name can be changed to whatever BW want.

I don't see the point of the post when the only people mentioning server merges are trolls or those people genuinely unfortunate enough to have rolled on a light pop server. There have been 30+ posts already about server merges, could you not have posted your concern in one of those?

While I appreciate your concern you don't actually own your character so unfortunately should server merges happen your name can be changed to whatever BW want.

I don't see the point of the post when the only people mentioning server merges are trolls or those people genuinely unfortunate enough to have rolled on a light pop server. There have been 30+ posts already about server merges, could you not have posted your concern in one of those?

This topic isn't about whether or not the servers will or should merge.

They will merge. It is only a matter of time.

This topic is about who keeps their name in case of duplicates.

Please take your trolling and off topic posting to one of the other many topics available on the TOR forums. Thank you and good day.

Please take your trolling and off topic posting to one of the other many topics available on the TOR forums. Thank you and good day.

The point that was being made is that BW have not announced server merges or the ability to transfer characters, so its all rather a moot point.

As it would appear that the only answer you will accept is one from BW, you will be in for a long wait.

Anyway, it would appear that basically you are saying "Transfers will happen the way I want them to happen, I will not lose any names or I'm going" could well be considered as trolling. BW must do things your way and if you are in any way inconvenienced you will leave.

This could well be one reason why merges & transfers are not currently on the cards as if everyone has this same opinion as yourself, then it would result in a lot of lost subscriptions.

To be fair I wasn't trolling you or being off topic and I can't see how you could even identify what I posted as trolling. I was merely responding to your original post with the standard 'this is how it works' post which if you had read what you signed up to when you started playing SWTOR you would already know.

If anything I could accuse you of trolling because you have raised a new post for a topic already covered in other forum posts 30 + times and because you mention server merges which are not confirmed anywhere and therefore can't really be viewed objectively as anything other than trolling for the sake of it.

However I will give you the benefit of the doubt given that forum posts are ambigious at best.

Have a good day!

How will names work when realms merge?

I ask because I swear period point blank that if I lose any of my characters names or my legacy name when the realms merge, if that's how it works, I'm done. Gone.

If they designate one server as the parent server, then anyone being transferred to the server will be prompted for a name change for any character/Legacy that shares a name with one already on the parent server.

If they simply create a new server by merging two existing servers and deleting the original two, then everyone with the same Legacy name and characters with the same name will likely be forced to change the names of their Legacy and/or characters.

This isn't worth getting upset about. I've had to change character names when transferring characters from one server to another before, and it wasn't that big of a deal. Pick new name, get on with life.

Edited by terminova

The person on the server being merged too (usually the high pop server), they've done it like that before, and I can't see them doing it a different way (if it could even be done a different way).

The other person having to rename themselves.

With legacy names though it's an added layer of complexity.

We really can't answer this, because we don't know how BioWare will handle it.

It might be the oldest account keeps their name, regardless of the date of any given character(s) creation. It might be based on whatever character has had the name longer. Or the character with the most playtime. Or the most recent playtime. Or the most playtime in a randomly designated time period prior to the merge. Or whatever BioWare decides on.

We really won't have any idea until they make their decision.

They might have not have decided yet. Heck, they might not have even really come up with ideas yet, much less gotten an idea down to the 'this is what we'll do' stage.

Edited by Shaz

I wouldn't anticipate any mergers happening anytime soon. We may see paid or even free transfers from low pop servers but don't expect any mergers as long as the population stays healthy overall.

There are simply too many negative connotations associated with server mergers. Transfers will happen. Mergers will only happen if there is a drastic drop in overall populations and that isn't happening, in spite of what some might have us believe.

We really can't answer this, because we don't know how BioWare will handle it.

It might be the oldest account keeps their name, regardless of the date of any given character(s) creation. It might be based on whatever character has had the name longer. Or the character with the most playtime. Or the most recent playtime. Or the most playtime in a randomly designated time period prior to the merge. Or whatever BioWare decides on.

We really won't have any idea until they make their decision.

They might have not have decided yet. Heck, they might not have even really come up with ideas yet, much less gotten an idea down to the 'this is what we'll do' stage.

Given how they have done it in the past, I'd beat in low pop server merged to higher pop server, high pop server players keep their names given any duplicate.

Of course it could end up being completely different, but I doubt it (as it's just the simplest solution as well as being used before).

But I doubt they'll be doing that unless servers are genuinely dead.

Edited by Goretzu

Free transfers and closures of the lowest populated servers is a much more elegant and fair solution than ham-fistedly merging two random servers together. Rift did it this way when they had to address the now unneeded servers added during the launch subscription rush and it worked rather well.

This allows people to shop around, giving them greater opportunities to keep their names.

How will names work when realms merge?

I ask because I swear period point blank that if I lose any of my characters names or my legacy name when the realms merge, if that's how it works, I'm done. Gone.

Yeah, that's exactly how it works. It happened to me a couple of times in Warhammer as I got merged from one server to another and then to another. Each time, I saw friends unsubscribe for exactly the same reason as you cite.