AP Pyrotech vs Merc Pyrotech - Equal?

rweiowjerwei

In a 1vs1 the PT will wreck the Merc.

In Huttball, you take the merc.

In VS and CW, you can go either way.

PT's just might be the highest dps in game, right along with Marauders (talking pve).

i would take PT in huttball too for grapple

More vaguely similar than equal.

Both set people on fire and railshoot them.

The pt has mainly short-range instant attacks, the merc relies more on long-range channel/charge-attacks.

If you are shooting thing with your gun as PT it usually means that you had an unlucky streak with the rng or that you've positioned yourself poorly - so number of guns doesn't really matter.

Edited by LazyBear

PT pyro is a little different from merc pyro, the merc has an easier time getting the bonus 9% Aim than a PT would. For the Merc it's 3 pts in the base of a tree, for a PT it's 8 pts, admittedly the 5 previous pts are a worthwhile investment, but only if you accept the limitation that you may not have improved stealth scan or even TD.

The merc, in my opinion, would also have a point spread advantage due to the talents, Hired Muscle (6% bonus crit) and Improved Vents (8 extra heat vented per pt). Both of these are base of the skill trees. He could spec up to Upgraded Arsenal (3% bonus crit) taking Iron Sights (9% Aim) and Mandalorian Iron Warheads (+10% missile damage) as well as getting Thermal Detonator, and the improved proc rate of Rail Shots.

The Powertech, I think, would be at a slight disadvantage in a pure pyro spec, and a major disadvantage without TD in his spec. Reason being, in order to be 100% effective in play, the pyro absolutely MUST remain within 10m of his target. The Merc has the missile upgrade 10% damage, and Fusion Missile, with a 30m range, concussion missile, 30 m range, and a knockback and his spec will proc his snare on the PT 100% of the time. So, in theory, both players being exactly equally skilled, I think the merc would win more often than not.

PT pyro is a little different from merc pyro, the merc has an easier time getting the bonus 9% Aim than a PT would. For the Merc it's 3 pts in the base of a tree, for a PT it's 8 pts, admittedly the 5 previous pts are a worthwhile investment, but only if you accept the limitation that you may not have improved stealth scan or even TD.

The merc, in my opinion, would also have a point spread advantage due to the talents, Hired Muscle (6% bonus crit) and Improved Vents (8 extra heat vented per pt). Both of these are base of the skill trees. He could spec up to Upgraded Arsenal (3% bonus crit) taking Iron Sights (9% Aim) and Mandalorian Iron Warheads (+10% missile damage) as well as getting Thermal Detonator, and the improved proc rate of Rail Shots.

The Powertech, I think, would be at a slight disadvantage in a pure pyro spec, and a major disadvantage without TD in his spec. Reason being, in order to be 100% effective in play, the pyro absolutely MUST remain within 10m of his target. The Merc has the missile upgrade 10% damage, and Fusion Missile, with a 30m range, concussion missile, 30 m range, and a knockback and his spec will proc his snare on the PT 100% of the time. So, in theory, both players being exactly equally skilled, I think the merc would win more often than not.

If PVP were about straight damage rotations and relatively little movement this might be true (again assuming equal skill on damage rotations and both people doing a straight head to head brawl)

The reality is a powertech still has a broader range of tools for PVP and the combination of interupts and grapplehooks along with the naturally higher defenses (and shield potential) tends to bring the powertechs survival up a notch over the merc.

A powertech should be backing off and controlling the position of the fight while interrupting and yanking the merc around. The addition of a 20% shield instead of a generator should than bridge the gap defensivly to overcome whats left of the theoretical damage gap the merc might possess.

For pvp 1v1 powertech > merc simply due to utility and survival mechanics

If PVP were about straight damage rotations and relatively little movement this might be true (again assuming equal skill on damage rotations and both people doing a straight head to head brawl)

The reality is a powertech still has a broader range of tools for PVP and the combination of interupts and grapplehooks along with the naturally higher defenses (and shield potential) tends to bring the powertechs survival up a notch over the merc.

A powertech should be backing off and controlling the position of the fight while interrupting and yanking the merc around. The addition of a 20% shield instead of a generator should than bridge the gap defensivly to overcome whats left of the theoretical damage gap the merc might possess.

If a PT thinks going with a shield will help beat a merc, he/she is bad.

If a PT thinks going with a shield will help beat a merc, he/she is bad.

Uhh no, you are bad for making blanket statements. If that PT is ST or any of the hybrids, then even though the shield has relatively little it will proc on in pvp you still needs it for those few procs for heat and ending RPs CD.

So yeah shields are gimped in pvp because most burst attacks ignore them and armor, but they still have their uses. You just pop your shield to ride out the Mercs burst and in the long run the PT should be able to win the attrition factor.

But then also depends on what type of merc, an arsenal merc should be toast to a ST or hybrid PT. Pyro merc would be a challenge, healer though should own a tank. Rock paper scissors.

I disagree, respectfully, with your assessment of the grapple, and interrupt viability in merc pyro vs pt pyro.

The reason being, all the pyro abilities are instants.

Nothing to interrupt really, and grapple gets offset by backdraft. Then we move on to abilities, Power Surge vs Volatile Fuel (whatever the +crit is for pt).

Power surge makes a merc ability instant cast, and Volatile Fuel drastically raises crit chance for pt, both are very handy, the merc's skill for casting a heal on himself, the pt's for doing more damage for 20 seconds.

I think it would come down to one thing in the end, Cure (another instant). The merc's ability to remove negative dots and affects. That would mean that he could remove the first dot applied by the pt, and effectively negate the first rail shot as well as keep his mobility, but that's just my theorycraft. I've yet to duel a pyro specced merc.

edit - The PT has the same armor value as the Merc, other than the shield, there's no real difference to defenses afaik.

Edited by Orsian

Uhh no, you are bad for making blanket statements. If that PT is ST or any of the hybrids, then even though the shield has relatively little it will proc on in pvp you still needs it for those few procs for heat and ending RPs CD.

So yeah shields are gimped in pvp because most burst attacks ignore them and armor, but they still have their uses. You just pop your shield to ride out the Mercs burst and in the long run the PT should be able to win the attrition factor.

But then also depends on what type of merc, an arsenal merc should be toast to a ST or hybrid PT. Pyro merc would be a challenge, healer though should own a tank. Rock paper scissors.

A ST wouldn't beat a merc dps anyways. So no, a PT shouldn't be using a shield.