The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Thoughts about using the merc pvp set?

Machtkatze

I'm kinda curious if there are people who take 15% railshot crit over .5 longer aoe stun and 15% strike crit?

I'm still leveling my alt, 37 so far, but judging from talents, railshot is the by far hardest hitting ability, since it gets nearly full armor penetration from talents. (do the 2 talents stack additively?)

I also haven't completely checked the stats on the gear, maybe you'd be better of with a certain set since they screwed up less with the mods?

edit: I found a thread about a bug that says the pt pvp set bonus completely stops the stun from working, is this fixed now?

Edited by Machtkatze

The set bonus is fixed, the armor piercing on Rail Shot stacks in an additive manner, and Combat Tech is actually one of the commonly accepted armor choices for a Carolina Parakeet now that the set bonus is fixed, with Eliminator being the top choice and Supercommando being a bit of a niche option.

Edit: Oh, and as for the stats you're probably going to be ripping out and replacing mods no matter WHAT set you grab.

Edited by Auricelia

I have no idea why people think the Eliminator set is the Merc set? In fact more lieky the Powertech Pyro set.

Most mercs are Arsenal and should be taking the PVE 2 Peice set bonus for tracer crit spam.

Any Merc using the Eliminator set they should be Pyrotech otherwise they are doing it wrong. And of course same goes for Pyrotech Powertech.

I have no idea why people think the Eliminator set is the Merc set? In fact more lieky the Powertech Pyro set.

Most mercs are Arsenal and should be taking the PVE 2 Peice set bonus for tracer crit spam.

Any Merc using the Eliminator set they should be Pyrotech otherwise they are doing it wrong. And of course same goes for Pyrotech Powertech.

Each role + AC gets a set. Merc gets Combat Medic (healer) and Eliminator (DPS) while Powertech gets Combat Tech (DPS) and Supercommando (tank). Of course, the non set pieces (such as belt/bracers/implants/earpieces, main hand weapon, etc) are shared between the two DPS roles and are called Eliminator, which may be the cause of confusion.

The major reason PyroTech Powertechs go for Eliminator set is for the 4-piece bonus to Rail Shot, the skill tree's primary attack. Of course Eliminator seems to have more power/surge/crit on certain pieces than Combat Tech and also looks much cooler than our sets' bug-like aesthetics, but that won't matter once we can take the armorings out of the items in 1.2

Edited by Mapex

Each role + AC gets a set. Merc gets Combat Medic (healer) and Eliminator (DPS) while Powertech gets Combat Tech (DPS) and Supercommando (tank). Of course, the non set pieces (such as belt/bracers/implants/earpieces, main hand weapon, etc) are shared between the two DPS roles and are called Eliminator, which may be the cause of confusion.

The major reason PyroTech Powertechs go for Eliminator set is for the 4-piece bonus to Rail Shot, the skill tree's primary attack. Of course Eliminator seems to have more power/surge/crit on certain pieces than Combat Tech and also looks much cooler than our sets' bug-like aesthetics, but that won't matter once we can take the armorings out of the items in 1.2

That is still probably untrue, as most of the shared specs will be using the same pvp set (except Sith Warriors). Also why an earth are there Eliminator power generators if Mercs can't use power generators?

For the case with eliminator set, there is no logical reason why one would conclude that Mercs have better railshots than Powertechs.

There is no reason each AC with it specs get its own special set. There isn't strict balance like that.

Many mercs do and should be wearing the PVE set because it such a great bonus, the arsenal ones of course.

That is still probably untrue, as most of the shared specs will be using the same pvp set (except Sith Warriors). Also why an earth are there Eliminator power generators if Mercs can't use power generators?

For the case with eliminator set, there is no logical reason why one would conclude that Mercs have better railshots than Powertechs.

There is no reason each AC with it specs get its own special set. There isn't strict balance like that.

Many mercs do and should be wearing the PVE set because it such a great bonus, the arsenal ones of course.

For set armor pieces there is 4

Supercommando, Eliminator, Combat Tech, Combat Medic.

This is so they can have set bonuses reliative to each AC and role (PT tank, PT dps, Merc DPS, Merc Heal)

For the off pieces such as earpieces implants offhands and belt/bracers there is only the 3

Supercommando, Eliminator and Combat Medic (note there is Eliminator offhand pistol and generator but it is still Eliminator)

As to why the mercs get the bonus to railshot on theirs... its because Bioware fails at set bonuses and balancing sets.

Hell compare the PvE set bonuses for merc and PT DPS sometime... we get more endurance for less aim, worse set bonuses and offhand pistols get ~70 more stat points allocated to them than power generators/knives/focus/2h weapons

Edited by theangryllama

For set armor pieces there is 4

Supercommando, Eliminator, Combat Tech, Combat Medic.

This is so they can have set bonuses reliative to each AC and role (PT tank, PT dps, Merc DPS, Merc Heal)

For the off pieces such as earpieces implants offhands and belt/bracers there is only the 3

Supercommando, Eliminator and Combat Medic (note there is Eliminator offhand pistol and generator but it is still Eliminator)

As to why the mercs get the bonus to railshot on theirs... its because Bioware fails at set bonuses and balancing sets.

Hell compare the PvE set bonuses for merc and PT DPS sometime... we get more endurance for less aim, worse set bonuses and offhand pistols get ~70 more stat points allocated to them than power generators/knives/focus/2h weapons

The pvp sets and pve sets each respectively have identical base stats except the tanking set which has more Endurance on its inbuilt armor. The mods are the only thing that cause them to have different stats and I assume they are poor itemized so people play the game for longer trying to get mods for the stats they want.

Are the other classes like this too? I would expect to see Madness Assassins wearing the same armor as Madness Sorcerers.

Regardless the 4 set bonus on the Eliminator is a very poor choice for non Pyro mercs would seem so much better using the 2 2 pieces, one that boosts Tracer misssle crit rate and then the 2 peice from the Eliminator.

Regardless the 4 set bonus on the Eliminator is a very poor choice for non Pyro mercs would seem so much better using the 2 2 pieces, one that boosts Tracer misssle crit rate and then the 2 peice from the Eliminator.

Im pretty sure the question is about using the eliminator set as a pyro PT.

I use the Eliminator set as Pyro for the 15% crit boost on my hardest hitting and second-most used ability.

The 2pc bonus on Combat Tech is really nice, but not really game-changing, but an almost reliable crit on Railshots when trying to kill healers is.

Some of us don't PvE.

:c

Also, 15% crit vs 8% damage in PvP is kind of a wash, imo.

Apparently I edited the wrong post of mine with this info. lulz on my part, meant to be in the above post ;(

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gear difference wise, talking about Railshot damage.

4PC BM Elimin (With Rakata Gloves for more stats) : 1540-1849 Damage

4PC Rakata Combat Tech : 1701- 2040 Damage.

Same Mods/Enhancements in each (Oh so expensive doing that >_< ) . When I *need* it to crit (i.e to burst down a healer and use my fuel/trinkets) it crits pretty much all the time anyways so I'm more content with higher overall damage.

The other added bonus of using PvE Gear is that the increased Aim effects ALL your abilities so they all get a nice boost compared to the PvP.

I still fiddle with my gear so no matter what set I play with I never go above 10% expertise. Usually a point or two lower so i can max out all my stats as possible.

And obviously if you don't do any PvE, ignore this entirely.

Edited by exphryl